Cover Image: The Holdout

The Holdout

I loved this book. I was so excited to read it and it did not disappoint, Lots of unexpected twists and turns, I really had no idea where the story was headed. The end totally caught me off guard and left me thinking for a few days. Great novel that takes a different look at the juror process.
The Holdout by Graham Moore references Agatha Christie's work including Murder on the Orient Express. While this book does not go quite in that direction, it does have the same flavor of lots of lots of secrets and layers. Beyond the story, the book is a cynical commentary on the legal system, the jury trial, and the role of truth in a courtroom. The story and the implicit commentary both make this a memorable read.

Read my complete review at http://www.memoriesfrombooks.com/2020/01/the-holdout.html

Reviewed for NetGalley.
This book follows the story of a court case that is all the talk of the area. It tells the inside story from the jurors, and follows both the case, and the aftermath years later. I couldn’t imagine what it would be like to be involved in a case like this.. the jurors put their life on hold for 4 months. When the deliberation starts, the vote is 11-1, with one hold out.

This was a very entertaining read for sure!

I received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review
I LOVE a good courtroom drama - both in television and in my books - and I will say that the Holdout definitely met my expectations. I read a lot of thriller novels, always wondering when I'll find the next book that actually keeps me on my toes, unable to guess the ending, and I was not disappointed with this book. It was a quick read once I picked it up, and we get to the murder mystery pretty quickly rather than dragging it out until 40%-50% of the book which I appreciated. I don't mind a slow build up, but when it comes to thrillers (especially legal thrillers) I tend to lean more toward something fast paced.

I definitely plan to check out more of this authors work now!
A quick read, expertly told and expertly paced.  Entertaining without feeling trivial. The characterizations and dialogue are very well done, and the plot keeps one turning the pages!
RATING: 4 STARS
2020; Random House Publishing Group - Random House

If you are a fan of Twelve Angry Men, this is the book for you. The Holdout is an engaging and interesting read. It looks at the fallout when one jury member sways the rest to see the case from her point of view. When they come out of being sequestered they learn some things that causes some jurors to change their mind to their original decision. One of them makes it his life crusade to rectify the wrong. The holdout juror goes on to become a defence lawyer who hasn't wavered from her original decision. When the crusader is murdered in the defence lawyer's room suddenly everything is doubt. I liked that Moore took a look at the racial aspect of the case, and white privilege. It was timely, and added an other dimension to the novel. This is a standalone novel set in contemporary LA, California.

***I received a complimentary copy of this ebook from the publisher through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.***
I was able to read this book thanks to NetGalley. I absolutely loved this suspenseful thriller. It kept me on the edge of my seat until the end. The writing was fantastic and I was invested in the characters. Thanks again to NetGalley.
The premise and setup are all excellent. However, by about halfway through the book, I was only finishing it to try and figure out what the advanced copy reader had seen in it. There was nothing thrilling about it. The stakes felt so low as to be negligible. And the "twist" at the end was lackluster.

I really wanted to like this book, but by the end I was just disappointed.
This book reminded me of those old 1950’s courtroom movies with the juries deliberating, 12 Angry men for one and there were others. Here you have a case where everyone thinks that Bobby Nock an African American school teacher is accused of killing a wealthy white student because DNA was found in his car. They have no body though and he is acquitted. Really you have one juror out of twelve who got the other eleven to go with her. The other eleven though still think he is guilty though.
Now 10 years later and the anniversary of that decision is coming up. Maya Seale who has secrets herself and was the juror to talk to everyone into voting the way they did is one of the best defense attorneys in the city now. Not wanting to be part of the anniversary show she is forced because of an act she did during the trial. She goes partially because of her boss, but also because of Rick one of the jurors she was with and him saying that he has new information. He is holding what the two of them did during the trial over her head so she goes to the meeting. The story takes a turn when she arrives at her room to find Rick in a pool of blood. Now it is up to her to prove her innocence.
A very good book that will make you the reader think. You have many different characters and you go back also to the previous trail, what if anything did Rick have? So many questions. A very good book, and so worth the time to read.
If you ever want reassurance justifying your desperate desire to get out of jury duty, then this is the thrilling, disturbing, and fascinating cautionary tale for you.

Why yes, I did stay up all night reading this. I have no regrets.

The Holdout is a deeply satisfying, exceptionally compelling legal thriller, and the best I’ve encountered in the subgenre in a very long time.

This is one of the most unique legal thrillers I’ve had the pleasure of reading, and also boasts a terrific protagonist and supporting cast. It’s also terrifically complex yet compulsively readable, two things not often seen together in the subgenre.

Moore has written one hell of a story, complete with enthralling legal complexities, harrowing suspense, and a terrific And Then There Were None-esque whodunnit amongst the jurors around whom the novel revolves.

Just don’t make any plans immediately after you start this one. I guarantee you’ll be cancelling so you can stay home and keep reading all the way through the end.
Great murder mystery that jumps between the past and present and kept me turning pages and trying to guess what really happened.
The Holdout flips the Twelve Angry Men trope on its head. We get diversity in this jury. We get unintended consequences. We get a cat and mouse    investigation where blame for one of the original juror's murder is cast on another. This juror won't allow that to rest, after all, she's now a defense attorney herself.  This stunning tale of blame, innocence,  and the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth is gripping. I couldn't put it down.
The Holdout by Graham Moore is a modern take on 12 Angry Men. For months in 2009, 12 Los Angelenos had the difficult task to decide the fate of Bobby Nock. Bobby Nock was accused of killing his student Jessica Silver, the daughter of a local billionaire. One juror, Maya Seale, did not believe beyond a reasonable doubt that Bobby did it and convinced all of the others to vote not guilty. Now ten years later a famous murder podcast is doing a documentary on the trial and gets almost all of the jurors to meet and talk. Before the show can be shot the most vocal juror, Rick Leonard, is found dead in Maya's hotel room.

In order to find out who killed Rick they need to find out what happened during the original trial and after. Rick claimed that he had proof that Bobby killed Jessica, so did Bobby kill him? Rick had been doing research on everyone involved in the trial so did one of the other jurors kill him?

I will say as a lover of 12 Angry Men that I really enjoyed this novel and couldn't stop reading it. It is structured to bounce back and forth between now and then and each then chapter is from the point of view of a different juror so you learn new things that you might not if the entire book was from Maya's point of view. I would definitely recommend this book to any fiction reader.
OMMGGG!!!! THIS BOOK WAS AMAZING.. edge of my seat the entire time.  Blew me away... a girl named Jessica is supposedly dead and her African-American teacher who she was having an illicit affair with is the Prime Suspect. Now a jury has to decide his faith. But the secrets that each jury members hiding is absolutely phenomenal and the truth will absolutely set everybody free. ... absolutely recommend this book.
I don’t want to give away too much but but this is a great court room drama/mystery.  Kind of an Agatha Christie meets John Grisham vibe.  I thought the ending felt a bit rushed but love the twists.  Legal thriller fans, give this a go!
This was a good mystery! I liked the interwoven characters of the other jurors points of view while still focusing mostly on Maya. It’s also not very long so it was a quick read.
This book is the perfect read for anyone who enjoys following a case, serving on a jury or wanting to see justice served.  However, do any of us really, truly know the whole story?  And what if we make a decision that is not the right one and someone is unfairly punished or even worse, let off the hook?  These questions and thoughts are at the very center of this book.  Maya did not believe that one being charged had committed the crime; however she was the only juror to write down not guilty...at first.  One by by Maya convinced all the other jurors over to her side.  However, ten years later, as the jurors gather together for an anniversary of their time spent together, there is one of them who has been spending the past 10 years investigating all of their lives as well as others and states that he has new evidence.  However, this new evidence is going to result in more questioning on their part, more anxiety and more wondering what is the truth.  This book draws you into the jurors' lives now and ten years previously, and will have you trying to unravel the truth in the midst of it all and leaves you at the thing thinking about it all still.
This was a bit slower paced than I anticipated, though not bad. It just took me a while to get into the story. The writing is good and I liked the premise, which had me curious from the start. If you like a legal thriller, you might enjoy this as well!
“An infamous jury is stuck with another murky murder ten years after their controversial verdict.” This was such a page-turner! I devoured this book over the weekend and I was not disappointed. It’s fast-paced but has a slow build, takes place in two different timelines, and is very realistic! At no point did I lose interested in what I was reading. In fact, I could not put it down. This is actually my first book by Moore but I’m really interested to read more of his books because I was really entertained by this one.

Definitely recommend The Holdout for those that enjoy thrillers, especially legal thrillers.
Bobby Nock is on trial for the killing the a wealthy female student with whom he appears to have been involved.  Young juror Maya Seale is convinced that he is innocent and gradually convinces the other jurors to acquit him.  10 years later a docuseries reassembles the jurors and one of the jurors is found dead.  Maya is suspected of the murder and proceeds to try to prove her innocence.  Will the jurors come together again?