The Last Real Cowboy

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 28 Jan 2020

This was a pretty disappointing read and that's sad since I was really looking forward to this last book redeeming the series for me. Book 2 is still the superior book in the series, by the way. Unfortunately, I really didn't like Brady for most of the book. And Amanda came off pretty immature or at least sheltered (which she was). So I blame the characters for why I disliked the book, not necessarily the plot itself.

Amanda has 4 older over-protective brothers, which is why she's 22 years old and never even been kissed. But she finally gets fed up with everyone seeing her as 'that little Kittredge girl,' so she decides to move out of her parents house on the ranch and move into town over the shadiest bar they have (and work as a bartender there while she's at it). She's determined to start living her life as she sees fits. She's had a thing for Brady for a long time, but he only sees her as his best friend's little sister (he's 10 years older than her). She sets out on trying to change his mind about that and eventually does. She does come off as desperate and sometimes immature while pursuing Brady, but she was only 22 and just now getting the chance to do what she wanted, so I guess I can't be too upset at her character.

This is where I begin to dislike the Brady. He hooks up with Amanda A LOT (luckily, the author just notes that they do), but eventually he becomes the idiot guy who starts to withdraw and become a Grade A jerk. I hated that he ignored Amanda. I hate that he hurt her feelings like that. He does get his act together in the end and I guess it's admirable how he went about it, although I was certainly frustrated after reading Amanda's POV and seeing how much he was hurting her. But it was hard to make up for his detachment from Amanda.

It was nice seeing how the brothers came together, began to appreciate one another's opinions, got rid of past demons and lived their new lives with their women. The whole plan Brady came up with was kind of far-fetched and out there compared to the diversification ideas originally thrown out there but what do I know? I also liked that Amanda stood up for herself to her brothers and she even put Brady's family in their place. It was kind of funny when it was happening, but I had a lot of respect for her standing up for her man.

I made note of this in previous books, but the chapters are incredibly long for this series. They are not easily digestible at all, so 'just one more chapter' turns into 20 more minutes of reading to reach the end of the chapter.
I've been following this trilogy since its inception, and have been patiently waiting for Brady's story. I'm happy to say it was worth the wait, it's my favorite among the three novels in the Cold River Ranch series, and it gets 5 stars from this reader.

The series follows the three Everett brothers, whose father was a mean, abusive drunk. When he died almost a year before the start of this novel, he left his ranch to his three sons, Gray, Ty and Brady. Gray, with ranching in his blood, was the only one who didn't leave as soon as he was able. Ty got out and spent years on the rodeo circuit, avoiding the ranch, and Brady, the youngest, graduated from high school, earned a scholarship and went to college, drawing no small amount of ire, animosity, and taunts from his father. After college, he went to Denver and became a successful financial wunderkind, and would have been happy to never return to the ranch, but Gray couldn't work the ranch alone. Ty was badly injured at the rodeo, lost much of his memory, and had to return to the ranch to recuperate, but Brady didn't want to be there at all. The ranch held no warm memories for him. He'd suggested diversifying, Gray had always refused, and his alternative suggestion was to sell the ranch, split the proceeds, and go their separate ways, but Gray asked him to set aside his business and return to the ranch for one year, and Brady finally agreed, putting his life on hold, but that didn't mean that he was happy about it, or that his brothers appreciated the sacrifice he was making.

The neighboring Kittridge ranch had been at odds with the Everetts for years, a several generations old feud keeping them separate and apart. Amanda Kittridge is the youngest and only daughter, over-protected by her four overhearing big brothers--Jensen, Zack, Connor and Riley. She's never been kissed, has been on only 2 dates and has had a crush on Brady Everett for years, and at age 22, she is still viewed as a child by her brothers and she's sick to death of it. So she decides to make her move, getting a job working a the Coyote Bar, the worst and roughest dive bar in town, and with the job comes the apartment upstairs. No matter how her brothers try to rein her in, she's not moving back home, not changing jobs, and is no longer being their obedient little sister. Her brothers start showing up the bar to keep an eye on her and to discourage anyone who tries to flirt with her, and one night, Riley is there with his best friend, Brady Everett, who is 10 years older that Amanda, used to babysit her and even at one time changed her diaper. Yet, when he spots Amanda behind the bar in a tank top and tight jeans, he suddenly realizes she's not a child anymore but an attractive, sexy, young woman, although the last thing he wants to do is let on to her brothers that he's interested.

When Amanda finally tells her brothers to get out and leave her alone, Riley asks Brady to keep an eye on her--a double-edged sword because Riley doesn't really want to guard her, he'd rather bed her, but he's not looking for a serious, committed relationship, he's looking for a one-night stand, and he knows that if he pursues Amanda, 10 years his junior, her brothers will kill him, so when he makes no overt moves towards Amanda, she's gutsy enough to tell him she wants him to be the one to deflower her and teach her about sex. They agree on this conditional arrangement, but as romance readers know, things are about to change in a major way--and do they ever.

The chemistry between Brady and Amanda is scorching, and Ms. Crews has written what is perhaps the sexiest deflowering scene it's been my pleasure to read in years. The fact that these two have to hide their relationship from everyone in this small town, and especially from Amanda's brothers doesn't help matters any, nor does Brady's belief that there's too much of his father in him to ever willingly commit to a long-term, serious relationship. When Amanda confesses to Brady that she's in love with him, he's ready to end it all, but Amanda is no longer content to let that happen, and when Riley discovers the two of them having a not very platonic kiss, he punches Brady in the eye, Amanda and Brady's secret is no longer a secret, Amanda won't accept that Brady wants to end their relationship, and what follows is one huge, emotional upheaval not only for Amanda and Brady, but for all the Everetts and Kittridges too.

With Brady's plan to leave the ranch after fulfilling his one-year commitment to Gray to live and work there, his best friend Riley and his 3 brothers wanting to kill him for his dalliance with their baby sister, prepare for some fireworks, some serious confrontations with Gray after years of putting up with his disdain for his younger brother, and some serious attempts to mend fences, free themselves from the damage they all suffered under Amos Everett's cruelty, and some deep soul-searching for all concerned.

The Last Real Cowboy is as good as it gets in a contemporary western romance. It's filled with three-dimensional characters that have real issues and real depth, and it's written with a deep understanding of family dynamics, and how the sins and flaws of one generation can strongly affect the next generation. This is an excellent series, and this is my favorite novel in it. I suggest and recommend that you read this series in the order it was written to better understand the history, the characters, the ill-will, and misunderstandings that influence and impact on these well-drawn, well-developed and interesting characters.

I voluntarily read an advance reader copy of this novel. The opinions expressed are my own.

The major plotline for The Last Real Cowboy centered around Brady and Amanda’s romance. The author chose to have that plotline go at a medium pace, which was more than OK with me. There was some lag towards the end of the book. I wasn’t thrilled with it, but the author was able to get the book back on track, so I dealt with it.

I am going to put up a quick trigger warning. Brady suffered intense emotional and verbal abuse by his father. The author didn’t hold back any punches when it came to writing what Angus did to him. Those were some of the most intense scenes of the book, and I will admit, I sobbed through them all. So, read with care if that type of abuse triggers you.

Brady was an enigma in Grey and Ty’s books. He was portrayed as someone who could care less about the ranch. I will admit, I was curious about how he would come across in the book. I was surprised when his character turned out to be the exact opposite of the previous two books. I felt terrible because he did have some legitimate business opportunities, and he got bullied/laughed at by his brothers. That was hard to read because they were continuing what Angus was doing to him.

I thought that Amanda was immature and impulsive for most of the book. But, once I got to thinking about it, I would have been the same way if I had four older brothers breathing down my neck. While she did mature throughout the book, her impulsiveness stayed. That impulsiveness was crucial towards the end of the book.

I did think that Brady and Amanda were a good couple, right from the beginning. They complimented each other. I loved that Amanda wasn’t afraid to go to bat for her man when the going got tough. I wouldn’t want to piss her off, that’s for certain. That scene was the best in the entire book.

The sexual attraction between Brady and Amanda was immediate and red hot. Of course, Brady did try to reign it in (because of her brothers), but Amanda kept chipping away at his defenses. That sexual attraction morphed into some intense sexual chemistry. The author was smart and built that chemistry up. So when they did have sex, it was explosive.

The plotline about Brady and the ranch was sad. As I mentioned above, his father abused him. He ensured that Brady would continue to be outcast by his brothers after his death. His college education was used against him time and time again. There was a point in the book where I did wonder why Brady was staying.

While The Last Real Cowboy is the last book in a series, it can be read as a standalone. But I would strongly suggest reading the first two books. It explains more about Angus and the brothers’ relationships.

I do wonder if Amanda’s brothers will be getting their books. If they do, I want to read it. They were a massive presence in The Last Real Cowboy!!

I wasn’t thrilled with the ending of The Last Real Cowboy. While everything happened the way I thought it did, I was left with a feeling that it was rushed.
I really did enjoy this story despite the fact that I’m going to now go on a rant about some parts of it.

I hate hate hated the way that Amanda’s brothers “protected” her for her whole life and I really disliked the way that Brady’s brothers treated him. I know that all of these things were important to the story and the growth of the characters but the whole overly protective brothers scenario is my least favorite trope. I also understand that the way that Brady’s brothers treated him stemmed from misunderstandings and leftover baggage from their awful, horrible father. I just wish they had maybe talked about those things instead of just always going at each other. However...it was because of this behavior that my absolute favorite scenes from this book came to be so I can’t even stay mad.

Amanda might be young and inexperienced but she was full of piss and vinegar and when she found her voice, boy did she use it!!

The pure unadulterated sexiness in this book came as a bit of a surprise to me. Brady and Amanda’s sneaking around was delightfully dirty and fun!! Despite my annoyance at their family members, I really enjoyed the chemistry between Brady and Amanda and enjoyed seeing them wade through the ups and downs of falling in love, family be damned.
This can be read as a standalone but the previous books in the series provide helpful background.
Brady is back at his family farm after going to college and moving to Denver for a successful finance career. His best friend's family owns the farm next door, and suddenly the "baby" sister is trying to prove herself a grownup. Amanda decides to abruptly move out to a new job bartending at the seedy bar in town and an apartment above, and starts behaving so freely that her brothers ask Brady to keep an eye on her.
Brady started off very surly, and Amanda was immature even while trying to show everyone she was an adult. I almost stopped reading at 20-30% because I just didn't like the characters at that point. I kept going and the book did improve, but I still only thought it was ok. Without more background or context, Amanda's brothers just seemed like jerks, and I also struggled with the age difference and how everyone in town had such an opinion about "little Amanda Kittredge."
I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Before I go into my complaints, I want to be clear: this book is full of tropes I don’t like. I’m sure there are people who will like it…or love it.

So, the tropes. Amanda ends up in a relationship with her brother’s best friend. What happened here is exactly why I don’t like it. Her brothers (there are four) are incredibly overprotective. They treat her like a child and are demeaning. She’s an adult and can do whatever she wants-even if it is a mistake. Brady also treats her like a child. Spare me from men who think they know better. There’s also unrequited love, but that’s the thing that bothered me the least.

The romance wasn’t my favorite, but aside from my previous issues I don’t have any big complaints. It was pretty decently paced.

Brady’s family drama was interesting, but too repetitive. He and his brother, Gray, have the same argument over and over again. It got real annoying. I remember the previous book in this series being the same way.

At the end of the day, I think Caitlin Crews just isn’t for me. But you may love her books.
Yet another great amazing read from the series. Amanda and Brady find their HEA in this book. Amanda is a very long time not little anymore and for that to change, she makes a drastic decision, moves out and starts a secret relationship with Brady. Brady is too very unsatisfied with his life, the brothers don't take him seriously, he has still much baggage from the past and the only good thing that happens to him in a long time is Amanda. And he ruins that too. A very good story with yet another great couple. I loved both of them, especially Amanda and I loved how she stood up for Brody. Their story develops very well and I loved how it ends.
I volunteered to review an ARC of this book for NetGalley
The third in a series but can be read as a standalone. The youngest Everett has to make his peace with the past (and his best friend) in order to find love and happiness. Loved how Amanda shook up her life, stood up to her brothers and went after what she wanted. A recommended read.
I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book from NetGalley. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Thanks go to the publisher and Net-Galley for the chance to read and review The Last Real Cowboy by Caitlin Crews in advance of publication. My opinions are my own and are not influenced in any way.

The Last Real Cowboy is no doubt a well-written novel. It may have helped if I had read the other books in this series, so I would possibly have had some prior knowledge of the secondary characters. However, this can be read as a stand alone novel. It just didn’t resonate with me.

Amanda Kittredge’s character is a mixed bag for me. There are aspects of the heroine that I enjoyed very much, but I had a difficult time wrapping my brain around a woman being as sheltered and naïve as she. This is the 21st century, and it would be highly unusual for any young woman, unless she’d been raised in a very strict religion such as an Amish community, to be as sheltered as Amanda. If this novel had been set in the late 19th century, this aspect of the story may have worked much better.

Brady Everett is not my favorite type of hero. He’s arrogant, and at times rude to the heroine. I struggled with him from the start and would have liked more depth to his character to explain his coldness. He isn’t very nice to Amanda throughout most of the book.

For me, there just wasn’t very much chemistry between Amanda and Brady. I never became fully vested in their love affair. Brady and Amanda never seemed to connect on an emotional level. I’m not fond of relationships centered on the physical.

If you like contemporary romance set in the west with cowboys and small-town USA, then The Last Real Cowboy may be a good reading experience for you. Reading is subjective and what doesn’t work for one individual may appeal very well to another. I just downloaded the first book in this series, via Audible since that one has excellent reviews. Happy reading!
For those cowboy lovers, brother's best friend, childhood crush lovers out there this book is for you. Amanda and Brady are simply lovely. I love the feistiness of Amanda and the way she finally says enough to her family. You get why she finally wants to be seen as more then a kid. You feel for her and her over protective brothers. Brady is just trying to do his own thing while pleasing his brother. The battle between the Everett brothers will just pull at your heart for what they faced as kids and now. You get why Brady is trying to prove his way. I love the banter between Amanda and Brady. This book was a fabulous read.
The Last Real Cowboy is the concluding story in Caitlin Crews Cold River Ranch series, and tells the story of the youngest Everett sibling Brady, who has grown up to see the land his family works in Cold River as an albatross around their necks and youngest Kittredge sibling Amanda, who is sick of being treated as though she's still twelve years old, and in a bid for independence moves out of her family home into an apartment above a seedy bar, that her brothers and Brady are known to frequent; and it doesn't take long for Brady to get the message that Amanda is all grown up. But with an age gap of ten years and four overbearing and disapproving brothers, their path to a happy ending is a little rocky to say the least.

But it was also sweet and pleasing to read, and with a charming small town setting, plenty of family ties, and a touch of angst I was easily engaged. And I would happily recommend it to others, especially if you're looking for a Cowboy Romance with lots of courting, family feels, and western charm.

**I was kindly provided with an ARC via St Martin's Press in exchange for an honest review**
4.5 stars!

I enjoyed this 3rd book in the series even more than the last one. So happy for Brady's story and to get to know what a great man he is.

Amanda is very young, 10 years younger than Brady and also his best friends sister.  He had no intention of noticing that Amanda had grown up and chose to see her as a little girl along with the rest of her family and the entire town.  Now that Amanda is 22 and done with being seen this way, she moves out of her families ranch house and gets a new job and apartment above at the local biker bar.   She just wants to be seen as a grown-up, have new experiences away from her protective older brothers and maybe catch Brady's attention.  She certainly does catch his attention but she wants more than to be noticed so she asks him to be her sex teacher (!), no strings attached, while keeping it secret from everyone, especially her brothers.

So much fun and so much emotion. Brady and Amanda were so good together.  They brought out the best in each other.  It was great to see the other couples from the last book, Ty and Hannah, Grey and Abby.  I look forward to more stories in this series.
The Last Real Cowboy by Caitlin Crews

Cold River Ranch series, book 3. It can be read as a stand-alone contemporary romance, however reading the prior books will provide better knowledge and background of Brady’s brothers.

This was a difficult read.   Brady doesn’t see his own worth and through much of the narrative he talks about letting Amanda go because she deserves the best in life. It’s depressing and sad. And wow, Ty may have had his own HEA in a prior book as did Gray, but I hated how nasty and unaware they both were with Brady.  Several times, I wanted to either give up, or rail at all the brothers to grow up and let the past go. Or at least to give Brady a chance. Fortunately I pushed through and continued reading. Finally, someone stood up to everyone’s bias and shook things up. I won’t include spoilers, but it was strong and selfless and needed.
In the end, it was emotionally fulfilling and a much appreciated HEA.

Brady is not Amanda’s brother and he suddenly wakes up to the fact that she’s an adult when seeing her bartending in the local dive bar.
Amanda has always loved Brady and now that he’s noticed she’s an adult, she asks for exactly what she wants from him.

I received a copy of this book from NetGalley.
4 stars. What a great end to this series.

Brady is the youngest of the 3 Everest boys and the abuse from his father was different than his brothers. Being ignored and not wanted, Brady set out to leave Cold Springs and make a life for himself in Denver. Now back at the ranch, he has ideas on how to diversify the ranch holdings, but his brothers won’t take him seriously (not that I’d want llama lattes either 😉).

Amanda is the youngest and only girl suffering from 4 over protective brothers. She decides to shake things up and move out of the ranch home. Living above a seedy bar on the edge of town, she takes a bar tending job since the lodging comes free. Her brothers can’t stand her new found independence and ask Brady to watch over her. Which is painful considering Amanda has been in love with Brady forever.

I loved Amanda! She decided that she was going after what she wanted. I liked that she decided when it was time for her to shed her virginity and whom she wanted to shed it with. She wasn’t going to let others dictate her decisions. Brady was a good match for her.

There tends to be a little too much internal dialogue in this series and I was skipping over a few pages of Brady’s internal musings. If not for that, I would have given it 5 stars. Wondering if the series will continue with Riley and Rae. Would love to know what happened there.
So much disappointment with this third book in the Cold River Ranch series. And I was really looking forward to it, too. 😩

Gray, Ty, and Brady are three brothers who inherited the family ranch upon their father’s death. Dear old dad was a terrible, abusive man who pitted the brothers against each other while he was alive, and made them all co-owners of the ranch, effectively facilitating more conflict because none of the three want the same thing. Basically, what this family is in desperate need of is a good therapist.

Brady Everett is the youngest of the three brothers, and for some reason was hated by his father - more so than his brothers. Not seeing a future for himself on the ranch, he left home, got a college degree and was very successful in his career. After his father’s death he agreed to spend one year helping out on the ranch. But even though their father is dead, his memory continues to haunt them all. He's made it clear, though, that one year is all he's giving to the ranch and then he's going back to his life in Denver.

Amanda Kittridge has lived her whole life in the small mountain town where her family has owned a ranch for three generations. Between life in a small town, and four much older and overprotective brothers, she’s feeling like she hasn’t lived much in her 22 years and is ready to add some excitement to her life. With that in mind she turns to her brother’s best friend Brady.

Admittedly, “best friend’s little sister/older brother’s best friend” is not a trope I find amusing (and neither is the "relationship with an end date trope, which is also present here). And this book is exactly why. As is usually the case, we have to read over and over again - throughout the whole book - how terrible it is for the hero to be involved with the little sister. FYI, the little sister here is 22. So, not so much a little sister. And I always wonder...if the hero is so much of an ass, why are the brothers friends with him? I could rant on and on here, but this story wasn’t worth that much time… To make matters worse, I never felt Brady and Amanda’s relationship grew from beyond being physical. Sure, they put in some decent pillow-talk time, but that was it. They both had their own family issues going on and I never thought they spent time building things between themselves. Then at the end when Brady decided to “do things the right way” Amanda was frustrated but then had this grand epiphany about what he was doing...that seemed to be pulled out of thin air. After how strong the relationships were developed in the first two books of this series, I had decent expectations for this one that never materialized.

My next issue with this book...is ALL the arguing. There’s arguing between the hero and heroine, the hero and his brothers, the heroine and her brothers, the hero and the heroine’s brothers. It seemed like that was all there was for over three quarters of the book. Good grief! Just stop already. And they weren’t even different arguments. Just the same things over and over. And I got over it pretty quick.

Wherein the other books did a much better job of making some sense out of the family dysfunction, this one was lacking. As I said before, it was just a bunch of arguing. I kept waiting for some big reveal for why Amos Everett treated Brady so bad - like Brady was fathered by another man when his mother cheated on their father, or something equally as scandalous. But nope, nothing that exciting. And I’m assuming this is the last book in the series, so I was hoping for more closure, or for the brothers to be in a better place. Again, not so much. There were some gains made, but with all the time I invested in this family I would have liked to see them more settled, have more peace.

Overall, this book was just a big disappointment. Too much arguing, no significant relationship development between the hero and heroine, and a family that is still a mess. Love is supposed to conquer all, but all that happened in this series is that three poor women got sucked in. I’ll definitely read Caitlin Crews again since I enjoyed the first two books in this series, but I was looking forward to another compelling, heartbreaking, heartwarming story about the Everett men...and that isn’t what I got.

* thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for providing an ARC in exchange for an honest review
What an amazing, fantastic love story!

On the surface this looks like a typical brother's-best-friend romance, but that's just the frame that wraps around a delightful, emotionally-charged story about families and history and growing up in a small town.  The writing throughout this story is simply exquisite, perfectly capturing the essence of country life as well as the intricacies of falling in love with someone you've known your whole life.

"But this was a small town. Every interaction was packed full of all the things everybody knew, but didn’t say. All that history and rumor crammed into a perfectly polite hi."

The story starts when Brady finally (finally!) notices that Amanda, the one girl who is absolutely, unequivocally, emphatically off-limits, has grown up into quite an attractive and compelling young woman.  But, he's ten years older, is best friends with the scariest of her four older and very watchful brothers, and is smart enough to fear for his very life just by admiring her in her revealing tank top.  He tries to keep his distance, but when Amanda makes her own scandalous intentions clear, Brady simply doesn't stand a chance of walking away physically or emotionally intact.

There are layers upon layers of angst in this story.  Brady is still dealing with the changing family dynamics after his father's recent death, while Amanda is struggling to find her place in the sun while being overshadowed by her protective family.

“If you let other people dictate your life,” Kat asked softly, “how can you ever be sure you’re the one living it?”

Though it's a standalone romance for Brady and Amanda, a lot of the emotional impact involves his relationship with his two older brothers, Gray and Ty, whose relationships were detailed in the previous books.

"Brady thought change was the future. Gray thought it was the enemy. And as long as Gray kept thinking it was the enemy, he was bound and determined to think Brady was too."

As the last Everett family story, we finally get the closure and reconciliation that's been slowing building among the three brothers.  The climax was both brutally cathartic and quietly triumphant;  a moment in time that won't soon be forgotten.

It's rare to find a book so well-written, with so much sigh-worthy insight as well as laugh-out-loud humor.  Brady is such a well-developed character, a man so torn up by his perceptions that even when he breaks Amanda's heart, the reader feels the depth of his pain and knows that Amanda does, too.  Their HEA was romantic and very satisfying.  This is one of my top-ten reads ever, and I wholeheartedly recommend it.  I voluntarily reviewed an ARC of this book.
The men and brothers of Cold River Ranch are very compelling. The specter of an abusive father impacted each of the brothers differently. Brady was the most confusing to me so I was excited to find out what was really going on in his head. I was shocked at how misunderstood he truly was to his family but Amos played a vital role in building this perception. He agreed to stay at the ranch for a year to ensure that it stayed in the family but he also wanted to expand or diversify what they are doing to ensure its longevity. Gray believes in the tried and true methods from the past generations. Knowing this, Brady may never stay if he can’t get Gray to realize that he does have something to contribute. As he struggles with live on the ranch, his best friend’s sister, Amanda, has him twisted in knots. Amanda is the only daughter and the youngest in her family. Now in her 20’s, even everyone in town still sees her as a little girl so she makes a bold move by getting a bartending job at the not so respectable bar in town. Not only that, but she lives above the bar. Her brother Riley asks Brady to watch out for her since none of the brothers can as they try to give her the space she has requested. Now, Amanda has been in love with Brady for years so this new development gives her an opportunity since she really wants to no longer be a virgin. What will Brady do when Amanda tells him she wants to find a guy to have sex? Can the brothers bridge their divide? I loved both Brady and Amanda’s journey’s in this story. They each needed to break free from who everyone seemed to think they were to show who they truly want to be. The road wasn’t easy but it created a great bond between them along the way. I voluntarily read an ARC of this book and this is my honest review.
It was great to read Brady's story. I really enjoyed Amanda taking steps to change her life. I'm hoping we will return to the Cold River Ranch series to see what happens with Amanda's brothers. Great characters, fun read!
I enjoyed reading this book.  Amanda is a spitfire and I love how she challenged Brady.  Brady had been emotionally abused by his father most of his life, so he never thought that he was worthy of love.  He thought that all he had to offer Amanda was a few nights of passion and that would be it, but Amanda found a way to give him so much more.  This book isn't just about the love that grows between a man and a woman, but it is also about the love that can grow to mend a broken family and the love that can join two families and create a new generation that embraces not only the future but incorporates the past.  The closer I got to the end of this book the less and less I wanted it to get there.  This is the first book that I have read by Ms. Crews, but it is definitely not going to be the last one.

I thank Netgalley for allowing me to read and ARC of this book.  I am freely giving my opinion of this book and all thoughts expressed here are strictly my own.
I was not at all impressed by Amanda and Brady’s story. I spent a lot of time skipping over the character’s inner monologues. It was a lot of filler information that wasn’t really needed to make the story.
Amanda’s brothers are all idiots. If I were her, I would have severed all ties with those jerks. They treat her like a piece of property. They’re not protective. They’re bullies!  But Amanda is a wimp.  She pretends to know her own mind but she’s too wishy washy for my taste.
I didn’t like any of the characters and the story was so drawn out, I wasn’t very interested by the end.
I’m usually pretty good at determining if I’ll like a story because I don’t like to give less than 4 stars. Authors put their heart and soul into their books. But I just could not find anything redeeming about this one.
3 stars.