Cover Image: The Last Real Cowboy

The Last Real Cowboy

Cowboy, very sheltered female lead.

Amanda is very, very sheltered, almost unrealistically so. She has caused on the much older Brady forever.
Brady is the one that left town, but is now forced back. He's kind of arrogant and a bit shallow. He
 was often very frustrating, but at times, so was Amanda, who at 22, has never been kissed and well, Brady is going to remedy more than that.

Verdict? The author captures the small town life well, but I needed more depth to the leads.
3.5
Amanda Kittridge is fed up with her brothers, being the youngest and only female, she has not been able ever to go out on any type of date, including her prom. Now at 22, she announces at Sunday dinner she is moving out of her parent’s house and renting an apartment above a bar. She is also working there at night part-time. Her brother’s not happy and telling her she can’t but she can and does.
Brady Everett is home for a year agreeing to help his brothers for a year on the ranch. Still at times thinking about the city where he has been living for years. He walks in the bar and is shocked by the outfit Amanda is barely wearing. He is also wondering when did she grow up into a fine-looking woman. Trying to keep his eyes on her eyes when speaking becomes more difficult when her brother and his best friend comes in. his friend wants him to keep an eye on her for him which he agrees to.
Everything becomes blurred for him when Amanda asks him to teach her about guys, men. He ends up agreeing thinking this will be a way to keep an eye on her. He keeps more than an eye on here that’s for sure. This works out to be a very good story and ties in good with the other books. The author does a good job with all of the characters and you can tell they are still working getting over the death of there father from a year ago. There are many good scenes in this book but when Brady takes an ax to the table it was really good and if you have read the other books you will know why.
Overall a very good story. I received this book from Netgalley.com I gave it 5 stars. www.1rad-readerreviews.com
Overall I did like the book, but I felt it was a little long and drawn out.  It seemed like the main characters whined more than necessary.  It took me a few tries to get into the book.

ARC Provided by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review
I liked this book.  This author is one that I enjoy if I'm reviewing an advance copy or if there's a book free on a mailing list or something, but not one that I'd make a point to pay for.  If her works were on Kindle Unlimited, I'd read all of them, but there are few authors I pay outright for because there's just so much good content that I don't have to.  But overall I really enjoyed it!
I loved the first book in this trilogy, A True Cowboy Christmas, and I enjoyed the second, Cold Heart, Warm Cowboy, but I have bailed on the third at 21% because of this from the hero:

"I don't care what you wear." And he was deeply disconcerted to discover that even as he said that, it was not true. On any level. "I would defend anything you wore, anywhere you wanted to wear it. But when I was finished defending it, Amanda, I might ask you what you were thinking. Because there's a certain expectation about the kind of woman who wants to tend bar in a place like this. And wearing shirts that require half of your bra to hang out is as good as announcing you're one of them."

A hero who giveth with one hand and who taketh with another; who comes close to being a good guy and then, turns slutshamer. And a who plays at grit in a truly immature way. I couldn't stand either of them.
I don’t usually read cowboy romances but this one drew me in and kept my attention from the start. Laughs and tears throughout, Amanda and Brady kept me riveted. I received and advance reader copy of this book via NetGalley
Its book 3 in the series and it is about the last brother Brady. Amanda is his friends' sister. She is sheltered and always treated as a kid. So at 22, she wants to break all the rules and live her own life. Brady also has his demons with the way his father treated him and he is also the youngest who is not taken seriously by his brothers. Both had a wide age gap and though Amanda had a crush on Brady, it took some time for Brady to acknowledge his feelings.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for the eARC.
The Last Real Cowboy by Caitlin Crews
Subgenre: contemporary western
Release date: 28 Jan 2020
Publisher: St Martin’s Paperbacks
Format: ebook and print
Length: 382 pages
RRP: $8.88 (ebook); $14.99 (print)
Reluctance is his strongest emotion at being with his brothers, and with her.
Brady Everett is on the family property somewhat reluctantly, as part of a condition of his father’s will. He had made another life for himself in the big city after he went to college, to find something more for himself than ranch life. In the nine months he has been with his brothers, he finds that he continually butts heads with his older brother in particular, as his brother continually puts down his ideas to better develop the property. Brady seems to be at a loose end and wants to go back to his old life. Then Brady is asked to look out for best friend’s young sister. The girl for whom he used to change her diapers when she was a baby.
Amanda Kittredge is somewhat despondent. No one believes that she needs space to breathe. To be herself. Space from her very overprotective brothers. The same brothers who turn up to Coyote, the down and dirty bar, where she has a new job. Oh, and she now lives above the bar. She tells them to get out of her space, but they ask Brady to look out for their sister. But Amanda wants Brady.
As Brady and Amanda have more interaction when he turns up at the bar, Brady starts to fight his attraction to Amanda. Amanda has been in love with Brady since she was a young girl. She doesn’t know how to progress her love but wants to be loved like other women in the town have love.
Brady wants a fling with Amanda, but he doesn’t want anyone to know, particularly his best friend. Amanda is not very happy when Brady wants a silent fling and for it not to be open. When the pair’s relationship is discovered, Brady cops much of the criticism for the relationship, him being much older than Amanda.
How Brady deals with the fallout speaks well of his character. He does beat himself over what he believes he has done but he makes a considered effort to change people’s opinion of him and to be the best person he can be for Amanda. His actions are very sweet and endearing. It is the actions that speak louder than words.
I have liked this series of the three men who have been impacted by their wildly erratic father. The men are actually able to discuss their feelings and issues with their father. Brady had always felt that he suffered the most, so he made the decision to go to college and make something of himself.
Reviewed by Heather
A review copy of this book was provided by the publisher.
The Last Real Cowboy is the first from the Cold River Ranch series I have read, and I loved it. I enjoyed reading and following Amanda and Brady's story and look forward to reading more from this author.
Amanda is the baby in the family and the way she treated her brothers is too much. It was understandable that she wanted to get out of their roof and be independent. I like the she tried bartending and living on her own.

Brady who volunteered to teach Amanda about boys and relationships, what are you even thinking?

At first, I like how they pretend that in a relationship but eventually they really fell in love. I feel so sorry for Amanda.

Another story from Caitlin Crews that I enjoyed.

Thank you to St. Martin's Press and Netgalley for the ARC!
Perennial good girl Amanda Kittredge knows that her longtime crush on Brady Everett was never really supposed to go anywhere. But when Brady comes home during Amanda’s first attempt at independence, well, who better to teach her about rebellion than her older brother’s bad-boy best friend? Brady’s plans did not include being forced to work the family homestead for a year—and yet, here he is. And, to make matters worse, his best friend’s innocent little sister is making a menace of herself in the most grown-up, tempting ways. When Amanda begs Brady to teach her about men, he knows he should refuse. But could Brady’s greatest temptation be his salvation?
This book was ok. I had a real hard time with the characters and the overused trope. I was hoping for more, but just didn’t get it.
**I voluntarily read and reviewed this book
4 Star
I was pulled right into this story. The story has secrets, laughs, and heartbreak.

If you have not read the below I would recommend reading those books(s) first
A True Cowboy Christmas (Cold River Ranch, #1)
Cold Heart, Warm Cowboy (Cold River Ranch, #2)

This is Amanda and Brady’s story. Amanda has had a crush on Brandy but knows it will never go anywhere. But what happens when you get a chance maybe a right now? When he comes home to take care of the ranch, she has her chance and goes for it. Brady knows Amanda is off limits as she is his best friends’ little sister. But when she asks him about men and if he can teach her about them, he knows he is screwed. He is oh so temped, but will this all blow up in there faces or will it lead when neither of them expected?

I loved these characters and the side characters. I felt I could connect with the characters and the story was a great read.

I recommend this book.
I really enjoyed this book. I loved Amanda’s determination to get what she wants, which is Brady. I love the brothers best friend trope. Great setting and story line.
Take life in a small town, on a ranch, lots of cowboys, fill it with all things that make families, no matter the circumstances, families, then add in a well written, highly descriptive scenery, a sweet and steamy romance and you have THE LAST REAL COWBOY.

Annetta Sweetko, reviewer for Fresh Fiction

complete review: http://freshfiction.com/review.php?id=70529
The Last Real Cowboy (Cold River Ranch, #3)by Caitlin Crews

This is the third book in the series and tied all three together... three boy raised by a bitter man, and a girl whose four brothers think she is still a baby at 22.   Loved it
The Last Real Cowboy by Caitlin Crews was a sexy and charming brother’s older best friends romance with so many feels.  Amanda Kittredge has crushed on Brady Everett for a long time, but she never thought she had a chance. Then he returns and she is all grown up. Brady believes Amanda deserves so much more than him, but she is determined to have him see her. They both had troubled past and siblings that did not know how to just let them be. But together could they have a good future? Such a sweet story with great characters and touching journey.

Happy reading!
Amanda wants to finally break out of the childish hold her family seems to have on her. Brady is less then thrilled that he has to be back in his home town and work on his family's homestead. He has even more of a challenge with being in down when it seems his friends little sister is apparently all grown up and looking to tempt him. Amanda is on a mission to assert her independence and looking for her older brothers best friend to teach her a few things if only she can convince him that shes no longer a child.

This book will turn out how you expect it and will still be entirely enjoyable at the same time. This was pretty big on how the family was and seeing Amanda breaking out that mode. Clearly her family cares about her, but her brothers even at the age that she was still were overprotective. Amanda is tired of it and it was interesting seeing how she went about it. I enjoyed getting to know Amanda and Brady, seeing the attraction, interaction, and steamy scenes. Overall this was a pretty good contemporary romance and I really enjoyed reading it.
The Last Real Cowboy by Caitlin Crews is the third book in the Cold River Ranch series. I was super excited to read this book because I read the first two and immensely enjoyed them both. Also, one of my favorite things about series is how the previous main characters are now background characters and their story plays on, it is like catching up with old friends. In this book, we get to know Brady's and Amanda's story, these are two that we have already met, so it was interesting to see how they would interact together and if they would end up falling in love and staying together. Brady is the bad boy of his family (although, I would say each brother was during the time of their story) and Amanda is the good girl full of innocence in the entire (small) town of Cold River, Colorado.  Amanda has three older brothers, one being Brady's best friend, so these two had to overcome quite a lot in the search for love. Even though this is the third in the series, it is written in such a way that it can be read as a standalone story, although I would highly recommend reading them all in order. I just saw there is a fourth book coming later this year, I am really looking forward to it and wonder who the 'couple' will be. This book has a couple of sensual scenes, just want to put that out there for friends that would like a heads up.
Fyi, Caitlin Crews wrote some excellent chick lit (Frenemies, Everyone Else's Girl as Megan Crane) back in the day and although series romance isn't usually my thing, she made it worth my while!
This is the third book in the series, but could easily be read as a stand alone, since the author provides plenty of back story. This is an enjoyable read about two people who grew up in this small town, one never wanting to leave and the other, who couldn't wait to escape.

The Kittredges, Everetts and Douglases founded Cold River Colorado, but the families seem to have become dysfunctional. Brady Everett and Amanda Kittredge are the youngest of their families. But while Amanda's four older brothers have babied and smothered her, frightening away any potential boyfriends, Brady's brothers did not protect him from the hate that his father spewed on his sons, but especially Brady, who was made to feel useless and invisible. When his mother left, he was very young, and she left him with the feeling that he was unloveable. He does not see love or a family in his future and fears becoming his father, hearing his father's voice in his head, especially now that his older brothers have found happiness and contentment with their wives. He was the only one who went to college, made a new and successful life for himself in Denver, but after his father died, his oldest brother, Grey, asked him to come back to the ranch for a year, to help out. He had been waiting his entire life for his family to ask him for help so he could be useful, but his brothers have never supported him.

Amanda has had a crush on her brother, Riley's best friend as long as she can remember, but being 10 years older than her, having even changed her diapers, he does not see her, (or does anyone else in town) as the twenty-two year old adult she is now. Fed up, she takes an apartment in town, above a bar, and a part time job there. Her brothers are outraged, and Riley asks Brady to keep and eye on her, but she has other ideas and propositions him to be her first. He tries to fight his attraction to her and the "bro code", but afraid of who she will turn to next, gives in. She finds herself in love with him, but is prepared for a broken heart, expecting him to leave after the year is over. He finds that he can't keep her out of his mind and does something stupid.

This is a strong story, with wonderful characters, about dysfunctional families, fear, ranching, and second chances. I received a free ARC from NetGalley.com. This is my unbiased and voluntary review.