Cover Image: Natural Woman

Natural Woman

Thank you to the publisher and to Net Galley for the opportunity.
My review opinion is my own.

The author is a renowned herbalist so I was pleased to receive this book for review. I have used herbal healing all my life and I always want to expand on my own knowledge. This was a very comprehensive review of the use of herbs for treatments and discomforts.  The author has beautifully organized the book by treatments and discomforts for ease of finding what the reader needs. I appreciate the author's excellent approach to use of herbs in foods, natural beauty products and receipes included are varied and useful.  I would highly recommend this guide for all who want to use natural healing .   A excellent guide that I will be buying for my home bookshelf.
I need to stop reading non-fiction books on herbs, crystals, witchcraft, and other natural living topics because I keep finding books I want to add to my reference library. Natural Woman by Leslie Korn will be another addition!

This book is great for the beginning to the more experienced herbalist or person who enjoys gathering knowledge and recipes with herbs. Korn incorporates the beauty, food, and medicinal recipes throughout the book when she is giving your information on a particular herb. I really enjoyed this way of writing the book because you read about an herb and it interests you, and then you have a recipe right there that can help you improve your life.

As a Certified Aromatherapist, training to become a Clinical Aromatherapist, I always pay close attention to how authors talk about essential oils. Korn did okay in some aspects such as when it came to the amount of drops added to recipes (you really don’t need a lot, and some oils such as Ylang Ylang are so strong in scent that in most cases one drop is enough), but she said to put a drop of essential oil right on your temples when you have a headache. You should not put essential oils directly onto your skin, instead adding it to a carrier oil. If you are absolutely in a pinch, every once in awhile is okay. But over time you can develop a sensitivity to essential oils, to such a point that you can’t even use that particular oil any more without it irritating your skin.

Another wonderful aspect of this book was the rituals that she incorporated, information on psychoactive herbs, and end of life care with herbs. A lot of people shy away from talking about psychoactive herbs, but my thought is the more knowledge one has, the better. And end of life care is not usually a topic included in herbal books, unless that is the topic of the book, so reading some information was great.

Highly recommend, and am excited to get my physical copy in the mail!
This is an excellent resource for women who are interested in learning a lot about natural herbs and other remedies for all kinds of health conditions, along with other ailments. The author has an impressive background, having spent ten years learning and practicing this in the Mexican jungle while also being Harvard educated and working in this field for decades. I also appreciate her sensitivity regarding gender identity, neurodiversity, and issues like the effects of systemic racism and domestic violence on women's health.

Korn gives an extensive primer on the types of herbal preparations and lots of helpful herbs and spices. Many of these can be foraged in North America, which I appreciate as our family forages and uses many medicinal herbs like nettles, elderberries and elderflowers, catnip, raspberry leaf, echinacea and hawthorn berries (most of which are mentioned in this book -- For a more comprehensive guide to medicinal plants you can forage in North America, see Euell Gibbon's Stalking the Healthful Herbs).

I disagreed with a few of Korn's recommendations and didn't feel the need for some parts like the rituals at the end, but for the most part thought it was very thorough and well done. The book is over 300 pages and this is all text. There are no photos.

Do note that each herbal author seems to have her preferred means of delivering remedies. Some offer tons of tea recipes for instance. Korn's recipes tend to be for fruit smoothies, generally with fruits like blueberries and a non-dairy milk like oat or almond, and then powders and tinctures and other add-ins. This isn't my preferred delivery but I can deconstruct it and do my own thing. Don't expect a lot of recipes other than smoothies though, and be prepared to purchase supplements for most of them in addition to foods.

All in all, this is one of the best herbal books I've read in a while. It would make a great addition to an herbal library. I would also recommend one of Rosemary Gladstar's books (her family herbal remedies book has many of them compiled into one), Winston and Maimes' comprehensive but academic Adaptogens, and Gibbons's healthful herbs book, among others.

I read a temporary digital ARC of this book for the purpose of review.
Superspeed readers like me can read 150 - 200+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. LOL

An herbal guide to support physical, mental, and spiritual health for women and their children at all stages of life--by a healer with over 40 years of experience.

Plant medicines are a woman's ally to achieve optimal health; they bring balance and nourishment to daily life and can reduce or eliminate symptoms of physical and emotional distress. They can also provide alternatives to many pharmaceuticals. This go-to herbal sourcebook gives women the tools to thrive throughout their lives, with remedies using common herbs and plants to support a healthy body, mind, and spirit.

Dr. Leslie Korn brings over forty years of experience in numerous herbal traditions and healing modalities, offering timeless wisdom in this herbal companion that can be shared with friends and passed down in the family for generations. She offers treatments using common and easy-to-obtain herbs to address sleep disorders, menstrual issues, autoimmune conditions, anxiety, headaches and migraines, stomach issues, fertility issues, postpartum recovery, skin ailments, common discomforts that affect children, and much more.

Korn also offers herbal guidance for rites of passage, moments of community, psychoactive herbs, and a protocol for end-of-life care, as well as a comprehensive resources section.

This is such a smart book!  There are so many things out there than can be helped and possibly healed with herbs - my grandfather and father were both pharmacists and all the medicines they learned on were plant-derived. Aspirin? Willow bark. Digitalis? Foxglove. An the list goes on.   This is a fabulous reference guide that can help women try to heal naturally and save them thousands of dollars in medical tests, doctor's bills and the parking at said medical institutions. (I have a doctor who is so test-happy that I no longer go to her unless I am "close to dying"!)

This is a perfect book for anyone who wants to try herbal and natural healing - it is more than worth its cost and should be on your bookshelf and at your local library as well!!	As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by "Social Influencer Millennials" on Instagram and Twitter) so let's give it 🌱🌱🌱🌱🌱
The author has a PhD, but gleaned much of her knowledge of traditional herbs from living in Mexico. This book offers a comprehensive listing of many herbs, spices, and natural remedies, from traditional (cinnamon tea) to unusual (coffee enema). There is a chapter on spirit plants, which “enhance our consciousness, settle our nerves, increase our energy…and as a route to communication with the divine.”  Also discussed is the care of the gut, our “second brain,” and herbal remedies for stress, depression, insomnia, and fatigue. There is a separate chapter discussing the use of herbs for children, and a discussion of end of life care.