Witches of Ash and Ruin

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 03 Mar 2020

Having the opportunity to read and review this book prior to publishing is awesome. The book made it even better. It was a challenge to put down and I lost that battle along with the sleep it cost me a few times. Erin extended my Celtic knowledge by introducing new gods and details so I knew enough to get by. She made the bad characters so real I felt sadness, when bad things happened to them. Many times books get sections that are predictable or boring. This book kept things interesting and surprised me with its plot twists.
Not worth a review in no way could I get through this book. Let alone the first two chapters of this. the writing the style everything was blah.
This was a good Halloween read. It might be an odd comparison, but in some ways it reminded me of The Raven Cycle, but with an all-female group of protagonists. I liked the book's pacing and that there were several twists I didn't see coming. I also liked how complicated the characters were; no one was all-good or all-bad (except for maybe Dayna), and in a way this made the story just as much character-driven as plot-driven.

Having said that, I wish there had been less switching of POVs just because I felt like it took time away from Miner and Dayna, the main characters. Sam also kind of felt like he didn't belong, just dropping off the radar at the end of the book (but I'm sure he'll come back in the sequel). I also wish the ending had stood alone instead of left us with such a big cliffhanger, but I'm sure I'll read the next book whenever it comes out.

Thanks Netgalley for letting me read an ARC of this!
This book covered so many themes and did it very well. I went in with relatively high expectations and I was not disappointed.
I did not think I would like this book but I decided to give it a chance. I was pleasantly surprised and I really enjoyed this book. I will be recommending this book to my library patrons and friends.
Thank you to NetGalley and Freeform for the opportunity to read and review the e-arc copy of Witches of Ash and Ruin. #NetGalley #WitchesofAshandRuin
A 17-year old young woman going through physical and emotional changes in her life. The story has wonderfully flushed out characters that are realistic even with the fantasy background. The mythology and magic are blended in such a way that you forget they aren't real. Wizards, witches, teen issues, and family are interwoven together in the backdrop of contemporary Ireland. Young adults will flock to this title. The first in a trilogy.
Read alikes for this would be: The Hazelwood; V. E. Schwab.
" mesmerizing story of dark magic and brutal mythology set against a backdrop of contemporary Ireland that's impossible to put down."

Loved every single page of this book. Dark, plot twists, realistic characters, demons, witches and mythology-oh my!
This book was received as an ARC from Disney Book Group - Freeform in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

My favorite books of all time are all about witches and gods and then throw in the drama of a seventeen year old girl struggling with Obsessive compulsive disorder and being accused of her bisexuality escaping from reality and I was hooked. The bravery and fight Dayna took in her involvement with the dark magic of witches and gods, you can't help but to get addicted. I know our teen book club will love this book.

We will consider adding this title to our YA collection at our library. This is why we give this book 5 stars.