The Turtle Book

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 04 Nov 2019

I certainly enjoyed this small and quite simple, easy to follow book about spiritual freedom. But I must say - this is only for those who don't fear a little (or maybe, quite a lot of) woo woo. I happen to be quite woo woo tolerant, but a few things tickled even me the wrong way. By the way, I can totally understand those who roll their eyes at woo woo, and I can also understand why. So consider yourself warned!

Anyway, the philosophy of this book is a nice New Agey mix of some Zen Buddhism, some Hawaiian spirituality and probably some even personal findings of the author. It's not judgemental, very free in its spirit and easy to read. What I liked was that the author nicely explained Pascal's wager - or why you simply can't lose anything by believing at least something about your undying nature - that's for the unbelievers who have a deeply rooted fear of death. A large part of the book is dedicated to that.

The book also talks a lot about reincarnation, easily explains karmic cycles and stresses the importance of meditation. It even uses analogies to quantum mechanics, which I thought may be a little oversimplified, but still interesting. However, meditation was touched upon twice, and yet I didn't feel like everything was covered - I still had questions and it felt like the author was going to follow up, but he never quite did. That, and the general fumbling lack of editing is what brought it down from 4 to 3 stars for me.

And yes, then there's the serious woo woo. I say l'm woo woo tolerant, but the eye color of aliens and sorcery - that firmly belongs in the scifi / fantasy category for me at this point. I wasn't even sure why the author left that in - short mentions of things that are quite unrelated to 99% of the content, but are largely disconcerting to the average reader don't belong in such a book. Perhaps, as I say, editing could have helped, but from what I gather, it's an indie.

Overall, it was a nice, peaceful and motivating book to read on some soul-searching, but it has its flaws. Still worth a read though. I liked it.

I thank the publisher for giving me a free copy of the ebook in exchange to my honest review. This has not affected my opinion.
Wow what a book! Loved the simplicity but also the powerful support and guidance it gives you. This is an excellent book for anyone interested in the spiritual aspects of life, as well as a reminder of the why's and wherefore's of being here. Its written in a very easy to read format and in no way dictates or forces you to believe anything you don't already know.

I would thoroughly recommend this book to all!