The Lost Queen

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 23 Oct 2019

Princess Charlotte was the daughter of Prince Regent and Caroline of Brunswick and was the heiress presumptive to the throne.

I'd always known Victoria wasn't born as heir to the throne but I knew little about Princess Charlotte and how her life and death impacted the Royal family and provided Victoria with the throne.

After reading this I hold a deep sympathy for Princess Charlotte, her parents forever at war with each other made her a pawn in their fight.

Her father hated her mother and it appears Charlotte paid for it. The Prince Regent found Charlotte's behaviour to be unacceptable and blamed her mother whilst her mother encouraged her to rebel and gain public opinion for them both against the Prince Regent.

This thoroughly researched insight in to Charlotte's life shows how she faced one crisis after another, was kept practically a prisoner by her father and suffered ill health.

Princess Charlotte finally got a bout of happiness when she married Prince Leopold of Saxe-Coburg but this was short-lived as she died 18 months later following a complicated childbirth, the baby being stillborn.

On her death her royal uncle's were urged to marry as there was no longer an heir. One of these marriages produced Queen Victoria.

It's such a heartbreaking history for a Princess who only lived for 21 years and for the most part struggled with her relationship with her parents.
It really makes you think what would have happened if she'd lived?

Absolutely fantastic research by the author which has given me a nudge to learn more about this era I'd never really looked in to.
The Lost Queen is a comprehensive look at Princess Charlotte's life. I enjoyed reading more about her. I liked the detail the author provided about her parents history and tormented marriage. Charlotte wasn't the healthiest woman, either, which I had not known. I never really knew how she met Leopold and this reveals their story. She has such a brief life with not a lot of happiness. How different English history would have turned out and the British royal family had not she and her child died.
An interesting look at Charlotte's life from birth, marriage, parents relationship, friends and more. For those wanting a look at other members in the monarchy.
I was pleased with this book! I barely knew anything about Princess Charlotte and this book allowed me to learn so much while also not being overwhelming like some historical books can be.
If you're a fan of female rulers/princesses I definitely recommend this.
This is one of the best biographies I have read in a long time.
Thoroughly researched and based on so many letters and contemporary resources it recreates such a vivid picture of Princess Charlotte's life.
Her childhood is chaotic and miserable. She is at once spoiled and  neglected. Her parents, the Prince Regent and Princess of Wales are selfish and childish and she is pawn in their power games.
Knowing the tragic outcome of Charlotte's life, as I read I was still almost hoping for a different ending.
A fascinating glimpse into Georgian life, the Prince Regent and the Royal Family.
Highly recommend this book and will purchasing an actual copy to read again as soon as it's available.
Thank you Netgalley for the advanced copy in return for an honest review.
Princess Charlotte should have had a life of glittering balls and possibly sitting on the throne of England. Her life was one tragedy after another. As she was first the product of an unhappy marriage, she was pulled between her parents, both of whom wanted to control her, and yet, they found that her will was just as stubborn as theirs was. She turned down one marriage, to make a match of her own choosing, and found some happiness there, yet the happiness was not to last.

As she prepared to give birth to her first child, she was on top of the world, planning a future that was hers. Yet tragedy was waiting in the wings...

This book was amazing! I knew of the story of Princess Charlotte, but I learned so much while reading this book! The ins and outs, the ups and downs, it is all played out on these pages - and leaves you with a picture of her life that will have you shaking your head. Her character was strong, and yet she found herself pulled between to parents, both of whom didn't really love her as they should. She was a pawn, and useful to the games that they were playing, not the daughter that she could have been if they had given her the chance.

Grab this book, it is well worth your time to read! You will not be sorry at all!
This is a very well written and researched book of how the royalty lived,their lives,the loves,marriages,of these people who were to be the King and Queen,Prince and Princess,they have the same problems that normal people do except their lives are on display and have to answer to the world, to their country,morally and politically! You will understand more about these people as you read and the children are the ones who pay the price in most cases!  Read for yourself you will really enjoy England and her history and understand maybe a little bit more! Glad I didn't belong to this family,will you??
Nicely done. This is an engaging biography with all the appropriate drama to go with the Royalty. It often feels quite real, and the pacing is good. Recommended for historical fiction and non-fiction fans.

I really appreciate the NetGalley advanced copy for review!!
It never ceases to amaze me how there is so much written record on and by the British royal family from so long ago that writers can actually piece together really detailed accounts of the lives and loves of those personalities. Some of these writers do such a wonderful job that you actually enjoy these histories.

Anne Stott did marvelously with the biography of Princess Charlotte and her really dysfunctional family.. You really get a sense of all that she went through, and actually feel sad that she died so young just when she had found some happiness at long last. You also actually felt you could strangle her father the awful Prince Regent at the time.

I read this book cover to cover, and then went online to read a bit more about them!

Thank you Netgalley and Pen & Sword for this ARC . This is my honest review.
I was provided a kindle copy of this book by NetGalley for the purpose of posting my honest opinion.

I could not put it down. Princess Charlotte was born between a rock and a hard place. His father was self indulgent, self absorbed and had decided ahead of time, the wife chosen for him would never be honored or loved. His wife, a sheltered young woman who had little knowledge of her future role in history or even how to care for her own personal hygiene. For years, Princess Charlotte was manipulated between her parents and grandparents. Her grandfather was George III of England, who floated in and out of sanity. In spite of her horrible past, she found the courage to insist on choosing her own husband rather than accept the one her father tried to force on her.

Should things have gone differently, there might never have been a Queen Victoria. Queen Charlotte might have been known for her bravery, her care of the poor and the love of her family.