Cover Image: Origami Man

Origami Man

I am a huge fan of this series. Sarcasm.  Dark humor. Suspense. Camaraderie.  Tense relationships.  Saving the world.  Great addition to the series!
This is the fourth book in the Gibson Vaughn series, and I read the first and second but missed the third. One thing I really enjoyed about this book is that it didn't really matter that I had missed a book, or that there had been a large time gap between readings. FitzSimmons provides enough details throughout that the reader understands what's going on without having to know the full backstory about any of the characters.

I also love the action in this book. From the first page, Fitzsimmons pulls the reader in with action and violence. There are car chases, foot chases, and gunshots everywhere, which I really enjoyed. This kept me on the edge of my seat and I wanted to keep reading to see which characters became casualties. There is a comfort that comes from knowing the three main characters will survive, but there is also the element of suspense of wondering who might be sacrificed for the sake of the story.

Tinsley/the Origami Man is an interesting character to me, and I would actually be really interested to read more about him. He strikes me as a John Wick-type character, an assassin who can't really be defeated. I love that aspect of the character and really enjoyed reading about him in this story.

Overall, there's nothing I didn't like about this book. I definitely recommend!
This series has been intriguing from the beginning: unique in many ways but familiar in the way that makes reading easy.

Fifth release in the series, Origami Man, is the strongest, most enjoyable yet! The characters I've come to expect and to wish the best for are all present: Continuing to develop, following growth lines of their own, and ineluctably contributing to a strong and catchy plot. But spicing up this episode is a new character, a complete villain who nonetheless appeals because of his rigid and logical code of behavior, which in this book means ramping up the action and support for the team!

I had the pleasure of reading Book 4, Debris Line, right before this new one, and I recommend that close, sequential reading of the series if possible: The plots increasingly fold into the next title, and knowing what came before enhances the newest reading.

That said, this could be a very satisfying stand-alone. Bottom line: If you get a chance to read it alone, or not at all? You'll want to grab it!

Published in February 2020, so it's immediately available!
Thanks to Thomas & Mercer and NetGalley for the chance to read a pre-pub issue.
This is the fifth Gibson Vaughn novel; I would recommend reading the first four for the background, although the details of events in the past were included.  Gibson and his crew are hiding out in the Caymans doing odd jobs to survive.  One of them is approached by a bad guy for assistance in accessing an encrypted flash drive.  The bad guy is Fred Tinsley, a hired assassin who can kill without blinking an eye. He was hired to steal the drive, but was double-crossed when the time came to hand it over.  He is also the man who murdered Vaughn’s father and who hanged, resurrected and hanged again Vaughn, events that took place in the first book in this series.  Something Vaughn will never forget.  Tinsley hires Vaughn’s crew to track down what the program on the drive will do. This takes them all over Europe to try to save 500,000 American lives.  The action in the book is intense, with car chases, numerous killings and beating up of people along the way.  A very solid entry in this series, I would highly recommend.  Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the read.
The main characters in this book although sometimes against each other start to work together in order to defeat the real evil. A man who does not know love and that rules his life by greed, lack of morals, power and money. It also hints as things should have worked while there still officially was a cold war between USA and Russia. The story also uses technology as a weapon - and it seems quite probable that computer skills could be used in the way described in this book - and I can only hope that industries have the adequate controls and firewalls to avoid (or at least minimize these types of risks). I´ll certainly be looking forward to reading the next book in this series.
I received a copy of this book for free in exchange for an honest opinion.
Good but not his best work. Characters developed well,and everything tied together in a neat bow.I will look forward to the authors next book.
Heart pounding. Exciting. A well told story with enough twists and turns to have your head spinning and keep you glued to your chair. Absolutely loved it. Happy reading!
I was struggling in the first 10% of “Origami Man.”

The use of phrases instead of sentences is a good technique when used sparingly for effect. Even though it stretched over the first couple of chapters, I would have accepted the choice if mostly confined to Tinsley, the evil assassin of the story. Unfortunately, this “style” permeates the entire book, thus making its use ineffectively and an increasing irritant.

I also get that this is the fifth book in a series (my first intro to these characters). I was hardly into the book before deciding I would never go back and read the other four books, mostly because the recaps and flashbacks were detailed and I felt no need.

Thankfully, around the 25% read mark, the story was off and running and I was hooked. Blurring the lines and forcing good and evil characters to work together (because the enemy of my enemy can be a friend) was a nice touch, and added to the tension in the book. Additionally, the unexpected event was always present, and not knowing exactly where the book was going made for good reading. As with any action-type story, the heroes are going to find themselves in trouble multiple times throughout the book. How the author extricates them from danger affects the book. In most instances, author Matthew Fitzsimmons offers plausible solutions and I can almost forgive him for using the same solution twice.

The characters aren’t given a lot of fleshing out and the scene descriptions could be better but this book is action-oriented. It reminded me of the pulp novels featuring Doc Savage and his men. All were experts, and sandwiched between the action scenes was somewhat witty dialogue intended to give the characters more depth. All the characters were experts in their fields. Action prevailed over everything. If you are seeking to get your adrenaline pumping, “Origami Man” will suffice.

For those who like to know, the book can be read as a standalone. With all the explanation in the beginning of the book I felt a bit like someone who showed up to a sporting event at half-time, but major plotlines do not cross from the other books to this one, just the characters. While there are openings for another book, this one has a beginning, middle, and end. Coarse language appears throughout, most of it unnecessary to the story and characters, but I never felt it took over the book.

Bottom line – A decent offering, and once the story found its legs I felt entertained and caught up in the action. Fans of the author will probably love this book. Three stars.

My thanks to NetGalley and Thomas and Mercer for an advance complimentary ebook of this title.
This is a fast paced thriller where the threat is malware that can lead to the deaths of so so many people.  Gibson Vaughn is living quietly until he's not- until Tinsley, the man who killed his father, turns up and wants his help decrypting a thumb drive.  This never gets too in the weeds about the technology, occasionally goes over the top with the action etc, but always keeps you reading.  I'd only read one of the books in the series so this was more or less a standalone for me and it was fine as FitzSimmons gives just the right amount of backstory.  Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC.
I have read the previous books of this series.

Our gang are still together and avoiding certain authorities and trying to earn a living while doing that but as previous books nothing is easy for them.

A old enemy of certain characters returns in this book which starts their journey which takes us all over the world.

I love this series and all the characters especially Gibson. The details and research the author does for his books is brilliant and carries through in this book as well.

I hoping there will be a sixth book and wondering if it will finally take back us back to the USA

I received a ARC from Netgalley and Thomas Mercer for an objection review.
The fifth book in the Gibson Vaughn series, Origami Man by Matthew Fitzsimmons picks up over a year after the fourth book ended. Having read all books in the series so far, Origami Man would have to rate as my second favourite behind The Short Drop. This book focuses more on the team as a whole (minus George) and I enjoyed the addition of the side characters, especially villain Fred Tinsley and the chapters from his perspective. I’m very keen to read the next book when it comes out!

Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for providing me with an ARC.
Book Review: Origami Man (Gibson Vaughn #5) by Matthew FitzSimmons
(Published by Thomas & Mercer)

4.5 Stars

"...This is the short drop," the man said. "You'll notice that, unlike the standard drop or the long drop, your neck is not broken. Which may seem like a blessing now, but in the end you will wish it had been a longer drop and a shorter wait..." - from "The Short Drop" (Gibson Vaughn #1), by Matthew FitzSimmons

He was the scourge of Gibson Vaughn's existence. The bogeyman who'd killed his dad in the basement of his Charlottesville home, and who later on lured him to that same basement, where he inflicted upon Vaughn his worst nightmare - the "short drop" - tortured, hanged and revived, again and again. Only an inadvertent but timely intrusion by Jenn Charles saved his life.

But then, at that same instance, in a flash the ghost disappeared.

Pliable like an origami, an assassin who can squeeze himself into the smallest orifice and stay buried behind a drywall, in a grave, for the kill, the Origami Man reappears.

In a cruel twist of fate, Vaughn now has to swallow the bitter pill of foregoing vengeance and ironically has to trust and cooperate alongside his personal daemon, with 50,000 lives hanging in the balance.

But that detestable foe, perhaps the devil himself, may prove to be that one formidable ally sine qua non a desperate gambit fails.

In Book 4, lying low in an idyllic respite on a debris-lined, sun-drenched beach in coastal Portugal which turns out to be anything but a holiday in the sand, IT hacker /ex-marine Vaughn along with his brothers-in-arms - and in flight from the law - Charles, Henricks and Abe, had to rely on the ultimate hack to get the better of drug smuggling Portuguese mafia types, Romanian gangsters and the Mexican cartel.

They're fugitives, wanted by the feds. They've hijacked an aircraft belonging to a rogue private military contractor.

In this installment, the author takes us to a world of hackers and on a wild chase spanning continents. Through the picturesque coral reefs of the Caymans, through sect-divided Belfast, a refuge in Portugal and the autobahn in Germany against the Russian Bratva, and perhaps, even US intelligence agencies. All to thwart an attack on American Pharmaceuticals and altered meds potentially causing an endemic. Will Vaughn's legendary coding skills be up to the task?

I've followed this well-written, technically proficient series through inception, and the author never fails to come up with fresh twists and turns. Non-stop action, compelling characters, and now one enigmatic villain.

Review based on an Advance Reading Copy from Thomas & Mercer through NetGalley.
Lord, I love the way Matthew Fitzsimmons can weave a story. He walks a tight line between thriller, tech, humanity, quasi legal enterprises, murder, mayhem, car chases, and truly psychotic personalities.

This installment focuses less on Gibson Vaughn than the team. The attributes and dialog given to each member gave them an added dimension in this go-round.  Their interactions were perfect and drew responses from shaking my head to chuckling to wondering “what the ...?”

Fitzsimmons has given the reader an action filled plot which never stops moving and morphing. There are truly despicable nemeses as well as very human characters who get sucked into the vortex and struggle to climb out and enter the fight for survival. A fifteen year old Irish hacker with the most extraordinary one liners could be my new favorite sub character.

Now about the ending - I felt as if I was sitting in a theater and the playwright decided to have the lights go out as an ending and I am left sitting in the darkest dark. Mr. Fitzsimmons when are you going to turn the lights back on? Next installment when?

Love this series, love the writing, love that amidst all the insanity there is a call to humanity. Thank you NetGalley and Thomas & Mercer for a copy.
Origami Man is the latest in the series by Matthew Fitzsimmons. I  believe you could read this book as a stand alone because it does summarize the series to some degree, but you definitely would miss out.  (I loved the first few books in the series and it is worth the time to go back and enjoy their development.) This installment takes Gibson Vaughn to the Cayman Islands with all the twists and turns we have come to expect from Fitzsimmons, including a reappearance of Fred Tinsley (The Short Drop).  I continue to appreciate the complexity and talents of Gibson Vaughn, he is a well thought out and unique protagonist which keeps me invested in watching for the next story.  I am again waiting for where the author will take us next!  I received an ARC of this book, all opinions are my own.
This series never lets you down!

FitzSimmons has done it again.  He brings his merry band of misfits back to solve another dilemma.  The 4 members of the group are all damaged in their own ways, but putting them together creates a pretty unstoppable force.  Not going to give away any part of the story, but it is good from beginning to end.

Let's have more!
Matthew FitzSimmons has crafted an engrossing page turner of a read in Origami Man. Well worth the read!
Hacker, former marine, and troubled soul, Gibson Vaughn returns for his fifth (and for the time being, final) outing, as he and his team must stop a Russian malware attack – an attack that would result in the deaths of hundreds of thousands. Writer/creator Matthew FitzSimmons crafts fun and unique thrillers that sidestep the usual procedurals and exorcises deus ex machina contrivances. Origami Man skillfully continues the excitement, providing an earned ending while preserving an open sky of possibility ahead.

Following Debris Line, Vaughn and the team HQ in the Cayman's. Still wanted by the government they survive in the way the A-Team did for five seasons: “If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them...”  Of course, the one man who does find them is the closest thing Vaughn has to an archenemy. How do you keep your enemies close? Fold him into the team - origami style.

Vaughn, along with ex-CIA Jenn Charles and ex-LAPD Dan Hendricks, jump from a pub fight in Belfast to rescuing a hacker in Marseille to racing on the autobahn in Germany.  FitzSimmons expertly handles the action and throttles back on the breakneck speeds in order to preserve the human element, amplifying the true struggle sans the adrenaline rush. They must solve the mystery of the malware’s backer, enlist the support of code-breaking hackers, all the while avoiding the watching eye of U.S. Intelligence because, you know, “wanted fugitives of justice” and all that. Oh, and they have to cast such miracles alongside a phantom killer no one trusts. Vaughn and friends are not black-belt SEALs quick with wit and resources. They don’t have access to a Q. Their Alfred is more admin than manservant. FitzSimmons excels in portraying the realistic side of the fantastic.

Origami Man performs as a sequel to Debris Line, which was a palate cleanser following the first trilogy,  minus the need of a wiki search. New readers can jump into the pool and splash around carefree with those frolickers, like yours truly, who initially met Vaughn at the bustling counter of the Nighthawk Diner. FitzSimmons gives closure to Gibson’s supporting cast while opening a potential new way for Gibson. A new way that is as appealing as the intro.

Many thanks to NetGalley and Thomas & Mercer for the advance copy and entertaining read. I’m a Matthew FitzSimmons fan and continue to look forward to his next novel, be it the New Adventures of Gibson Vaughn or a completely different entry in the annals of excitement.
*TIP - For maximum enjoyment, read the previous Gibson Vaughn books first to get to know the characters and villain(s).   I read a lot of books, especially the mystery thriller genre and sometimes mix up characters, story lines and which authors wrote what.  A significant part of this book references past missions from previous novels so to really understand you should read the series in order.   That said, I really enjoyed this book and found myself reading late into the night (which is my barometer for book enjoyment).  If you are a fan of Gibson Vaughn, this book won't disappoint.
I Was Hooked From The First Few Paragraphs

The Origami Man opens with an old nemesis from the Short Drop, Fred Tinsley, doing what he does best, killing while retrieving a critical thumb drive. Then, he is double-crossed and almost killed by the person who hired him. Everywhere he goes; men are already there looking for him. He turns to Jenn to convince Gibson to crack the encryption on the thumb drive and help him find the person who tried to kill him. An uneasy alliance is struck. Gibson is successful but he finds malware with documentation that indicates that in six months half a million will die. The story takes off from here to determine who the target is and try to stop it.

The action is quite fast paced. Every advance comes after much internal conflict, more unease with the wildcard, Tinsley, gun fights, car chases, and travel all over Europe. Then, with every accomplishment, it’s clear that there are more loose ends that need to be handled. As the plot becomes more complex, the tighter the novel’s grip on my attention became. Several times I chose to continue reading when I should have been doing something else.

The B-storylines brought more depth in understanding the main characters. These threads were woven quite well into the main storyline. Sebastião makes an appearance again and pulls Jenn’s heart strings. There even are B-storylines on Fred and the person who tries to kill him. These threads enriched the novel and reading it.

To address aspects that some reader may find objectionable, there is a noticeable use of vulgar language. For me, this language was appropriate to the context and character, and its use in this novel did not raise a red flag for me. There were not any sex scenes. There a fair share of violence, but here the violence is not overly dwelt upon. The only aspect that I found a little weak was some of the actions of Tinsley, but these for me were minor distractions that did not bother my enjoyment in reading this novel.

This novel was an excellent addition to the Gibson Vaughn series. If you have liked any of the previous novels, I am sure that you will like this one. If you have not read any, you can start with this novel as adequate backstory is provided for the events of previous novels. Overall, I rate this novel with five stars. Enjoy.

I have received a free e-book version of this novel through NetGalley from Thomas & Mercer with an expectation for an honest, unbiased review. I wish to thank Thomas & Mercer for the opportunity to read and review this novel early.
In this fifth installment to author Matthew Fitzsimmons’ Gibson Vaughn series, Gibson and gang return to form an unlikely alliance with Gibson’s greatest nemesis--the assassin Tinsley—in an attempt to stop a cyber-attack that could cost millions of lives.

Despite this not being my typical genre, I have been hooked on the Gibson Vaughn series from the very first book.  With “Origami Man, Matthew Fitzsimmons delivers a masterful, multi-layered story that is both clever and action-packed and stands up well against the subsequent books in this utterly gripping series.

As long as this author continues to crank out books, I will read them with eager anticipation.  Truly, I am a Gibson Vaughn fan for life!