Preventing Lyme and Other Tick-Borne Diseases

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 22 Feb 2020

This book is exceptionally informative and actually exceeded my expectations. It covers a wide variety of ticks and the common forms of tick born illness. It was much more interesting than I expected and the research is quite thorough. I received this book from NetGalley for an honest review.
This book is written by a naturopathic physician about how to prevent and treat Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases. He started by identifying disease-carrying ticks, including pictures and how to identify them, and explaining their lifecycle. He also described various tick-borne diseases in North America: what the symptoms look like, what ticks carry them, and the states where they have been diagnosed. He provided tick prevention and reduction strategies, like modifying your landscaping, putting out tick tubes, and dressing safely. He also explained where to look to find ticks on your body, how to safely remove ticks, how to get the ticks or yourself tested for disease, and herbal tinctures that can be used to prevent or treat tick-borne diseases. While some of this information will probably not be new to the reader, there was a lot of information about the latest products and methods available. This book was mainly about preventing tick-borne diseases or treating acute cases, not about treating chronic cases. Overall, I'd recommend this book to people who work in places that are at high risk of picking up ticks.