Crush the King

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 17 Mar 2020

In the final installment of this action packed trilogy, Queen Everleigh goes on the offensive.  Catch back up with the crew of friends through fights and plot twists.
The third in the Jennifer Estep Crown of Shards series a great ending to the current series arc but hopefully not the end of the series.  While this one could act as an end, I can see many more options for future books and hopefully we will get many more books.
Excellent end to the arc of the first three books. Love the possibilities for more books. Great action, characters, and romance.
Could not put this down...but then I never seem to able to put down Estep's books. I love Evie and her whole gang. Loved the whole kind of Olympics feel with heading off to the Regalia Games. This has the perfect amount of suspense, action, drama...such a fantastic series!!
*Arc provided by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

I started this series back in September when I needed a nice easy read to take my mind of some things and boy did it deliver. The first and second books hit it out of the park and kept me engrossed. Sadly, while this one still gives us how amazing Evie is and how much she is growing there was one disappointment. Sullivan took a back seat in this book barely being in the background. I missed the interactions between the two. I really wish he had played a larger role being  more of a star in this book since it is the last in the series. If this was just a filler book it would have been fine, but instead it left me slightly sad that we didn't get to see them more in love.
Evie choses to stop playing defense and go on the offensive. It was great to see her make her own choices and how she ultimately deals with the threats was beautiful. She survives the constant threats to her life and the lives of her friends. Her friends are all different and have their own histories that are woven into the story well. I really liked that there was romance but is wasn't the graphic kind that you see so often these day. It was a satisfying ending. It ends with triumph and hope for everyone's future.
I don't think that Jennifer Estep is actually capable of writing a bad book. This third book in the Crown of Shards series, while not my favorite of the three, is nevertheless excellent.

Estep nicely ties up the various threads that have built up over the last 2 previous installments. The book has a gripping (although not fast-paced) plot, engaging characters and a lyrical prose style. Inner turmoil and growth, which are prominent, are well-done and balanced out with dialogue and a bit of action. Magical elements, while obviously strong given the heroine, are well-done, fitting into the setting and retaining a sense of wonder.

This entire series is dripping in adventure, mystery, intrigue, wit and a TON of history! The author has artistically woven historical events that feel SO REAL with fantastical elements to bring a legendary story fit for any thrill seeker. I noticed Crush The King focuses SOLELY on the premise, and you will be so incredibly thankful for it. Because it is spectacular, exciting and downright addicting.  There are countless elements that make up this gripping tale, and there is a little something in there for every type of reader. But I think what really struck me while reading, was Jennifer Esteps uncanny ability to create a fantastic conclusion. It is detailed, well-constructed, comical, suspenseful and a TON of fun!
This is the third book in an action packed series! I can genuinely say I’ve enjoyed Everleigh’s journey. I have seen how Everleigh has developed and changed through the series. I also feel like the author did a great job of show casing a strong female lead. Everleigh is a woman who can solve her own problems and be creative in finding solutions. I also enjoyed this book because it was smart and witty- I have laughed at several of the scenes.

My only disappointment was that we didn’t see Sully in it as much as the other two books- Everleigh quite naturally confronted dangerous situations without him. I felt like he got left in the wind. Despite that I would still rate this book a 5 out of 5 stars. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own. #NetGalley
Queen Everleigh and the rest of her crew are back. They are going to try to crush the evil King Maximus, who is likewise trying to kill her.

"I want to take away every little thing he cares about, no matter how small it is. I want to hobble him, to break him, and yes, I especially want to kill him."

So the games begin. The Regalia Games that is.

I love this series. The characters. The good ones and the bad ones. I was a little disappointed that there wasn't more of the female villain.
Okay, first off, I'd read Jennifer's grocery list. That said, READ THIS SERIES! You wont regret it! # 3 in Crown of Shards, this picks up where the last left off, gripping you on page one, and carrying you to waiting for the NEXT! Awesome!
Written by Jennifer Estep, Crust the King is the latest and last novel in the Crown of Shards series, and picks up a few months after Protect the Prince. Evie has her prince, Mr. Sully, but now they have the Olympic style games coming up and will have to meet their enemy in person for the first time – and figure out how to destroy him.

The plot was moving and the mind games they played interesting, though a number of times I wanted to just shake Evie for not understanding who was really in charge. But, it was good and the stakes were higher than in the last two novel (a feat I wasn’t sure would happen).

However, this was my least favorite of the three. Sully, the leading man, really wasn’t there except for the hot and heavy moments (WARNING, NOT FOR CHILDREN) and still, even with that, it felt like those scenes weren’t needed. Overall, it felt like Sully wasn’t even there. He is a force in his own right to be reckoned with, someone who probably could have taken on the Morton king himself, yet he is left on the sidelines for the personal guard. I expected him to be the personal guard. Yes, he is her consort (are they actually married? anyone know?), but that is all he really is. He just slides into the background with the rest of the friends, if not behind them.

He is arguable the second most interesting character in her band of friends, if only because of the amazingly strong personality we got in the first book. Now, after climbing up a cliff for her, he just slides into a romance only role?

Other than that, this novel did a great job of wrapping up everything that we wanted to know and giving us more intrigue and doing a great job of keeping characters with depth while facing extreme situations.

Overall, would still recommend with the caveat of Sully.

This novel comes out March 2020, and I was given a copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Unfortunately for those who have been following Everleigh Blair since the Seven Spires Massacre and her rise to the throne after a stint in the Bellonan gladiator stadiums, she hasn't grown up a bit.  The action in Crush the King (the king in this instance being the king of Morta, Bellona's great enemy and her frequent attempted assassin) is nearly identical to anything that happened in book two, and all of the characters but Evie have been neutered beyond recognition.  She's running this book .... but ineptly.  She makes ill-advised moves and comments, then pats herself on the back for her brilliance and cunning.  She has become unlikeable, and there is not enough left of the sycophants that she calls her friends to judge them in any way.
Jennifer Estep has become one of my favorite authors, and this whole series has sucked me in from the very beginning. I have the first two in ebook form, but I am definitely going to be buying myself physical copies.             If you love magic, intrigue, slow burn romance, assassins, galiators, ogers, and epic adult fantasy than you should definitely check out this series..
This was a great book, this one wrapped up the story arc we have been in since the first book Kill the Queen.. It kind of ended perfectly with a little nugget that makes me hope that while this story arc maybe over that we will be seeing more of Everleigh, Lucas, Xenia, and the gladiator troupe..even Maeven and little Leonidas and Lyra.
 I have really enjoyed reading this series and am looking forward to anything else that Jennifer Estep comes out with

I received arc of this through netgalley in exchange for an honest review..
YES YES YES 4.58  Stars
I have always had a fondness for this author's books and Crush the King did NOT disappoint. WOW!! If you want a COMPETENT QUEEN who takes NO BULLSHIT. HERE SHE IS. This is exactly what I needed right now and what everyone needs. Jennifer Estep swept me away with this plot. The intrigue is thiccc and not what you expect. PLOT TWISTS are at every turn. Estep builds upon the characters; really shows their development. The emotion is full and can be felt through every word and I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. The only reason this book is not 5 stars is that Everleigh is too good. After the first three times of her crushing the competition it became predictable but only in the way that from the beginning, you could tell she would wind up on top. While that's, not a bad thing, it's just not my thing. I like a little angst and frantic scheming/problem-solving. This is still a big YES for me and a GREAT ending.
Epic third book! With some series/trilogies, the first book always seems like that it’s good as it can get. Not so with the third installment of Crown of Shards series. I am not sure if there are plans for a fourth book, but this book wrapped everything up nicely if it’s just a trilogy. Just the right amount of action and suspense to keep you on the edge! Loved it just as much as the first two.
Crush the King by Jennifer Estep, A well written and thoroughly enjoyable read! The queen of Bellona has survived the murders of the rest of her family and has risen above her grief to find the strength and will to continue on and overcome her enemies.
Crush the King is book 3 in the Crown of Shards series.  Definitely do not start here!  Go back and read the other two books and then come back to enjoy the magic.
I received a free copy from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book picks up shortly after where Protect the Prince left off- we’re trying to still secure alliances and defend against the Bastard Brigade as well as their kin, the Mortan King. But, now the Regalia is looming, along with a way to protect their people once and for all. We see Queen Everleigh hope for family, and in the process of seeking out other surviving Blairs, we find a deeper plot that pairs beautifully with the other plots in the book. Truly, the Bellonians are masters of the long game, and it shows in this book. The plots call back all the way to books one and two, and show us there’s (hopefully!) more to come in the future.
I loved how the characters have grown, how they are the family of their choosing, and that some rediscover family in truth. This has the possibility to be a wonderful, long lasting series if it’s treated well, and there’s already someone I hope to see as the ‘next big bad,’ should there be more books.

I wish I could say more, but there are so many interconnected stories and plots, that saying too much would give a fair bit away. If you liked the first two, this is definitely a must read. If you feel like jumping into the series here you can, but it would be a much richer story and worth your time to start at the beginning. These books have reminded me of the Court of Thorns and Roses series in its cunning and long game, as well as the Kate Daniels series. Both also had the same great world building as well.
This novel was an excellent read to the series. The plot thickens in each novel in the series and this one was the most challenging for Queen Everleigh Blair of Bellona, the one who should have never been queen, was always ignored and given the mundane tasks none of the royals wanted to do, the one who survived the massacre. However, the Bastard Brigade, who are the bastards of the Morta royalty, as well as other want Evie dead. Her immunity to magic makes her strong as well as her training from her brief time as a gladiator, but even more so, she is cunning and the Bellona motto is to "play the long game". Evie along with her friends travel to compete in the Regalia Games, creating alliances and plans to kill the king of Morta and protect her people. No one expected Evie to rise up to the challenge, but she has proven herself and has become a true Winter Queen. Evie and her friends must continue to stay one step head otherwise they will end up dead. Still, Evie has a plan, a rather dangerous one, but Bellonians play the long game and Evie plans to crush the king.
Queen Everleigh Blair of Bellona has been playing the long game and now she will find out if she is successful or not.  Great ending to this part of the story.  There is a set up for future books set in this world.  Look for the introduction of a new set of players who seem to be enemies of Eveleigh.