Cover Image: Eight Perfect Murders

Eight Perfect Murders

Eight Perfect Murders is a suspense novel based around "perfect" murders found in literature. Peter Swanson's books can always be relied upon for being compulsively readable with interesting twists. I didn't care for the "whodunit" in this one, but the revelations about the narrator made up for that disappointment. This book is definitely going on my short list of books to recommend to readers who want bookish/bookstore murder mysteries. Who knew that was a whole subgenre?
Is there such a thing as a perfect murder? In years past Mal Kershaw compiled a list of 8 classic mystery books with perfect murders.  Now Mal finds himself in the middle of a real-life hunt for a killer who is basing his murders on Mal's list.  Is Mal involved? Will the FBI be able to track the killer before Mal is targeted?  Full of twists and turns, this is a quick and fun read.
I read this novel in a few hours. It was fun, exciting, interesting and easy to devour over a short period of time. It is the first Swanson novel I’ve read, so I’m stoked there are plenty more books by him to enjoy.
A fantastic whodunnit (and whydunnit) with tons of red herrings and a seriously unreliable narrator. Occasionally felt choppy and I had to put it down, but I always came back and I flat out loved the ending.
Peter Swanson is one of the authors whose books I automatically pick up and read; the summary on the back could say just about anything and I'd still read it! While I enjoyed Eight Perfect Murders, it wasn't one I'll look back at and recommend to readers who haven't read his prior novels. Set in the framework of a memoir, we quickly realize that Malcolm lives a relatively quiet life; he manages and co-owns a mystery bookstore, has a minimal amount of friends and employees, and his wife died from a car accident. Then FBI agent Gwen Mulvey enters his life; she believes someone is committing murders in the area based on the "perfect crime" novels Malcolm chose for one of his blog posts. Then, slowly, readers start to realize that there are many more layers to this man; he's made a fair amount of questionable choices. Unfortunately, his character and his choices didn't evoke a lot of fear or anger as I was reading, nor was I rooting for him and his future successes.
Not as good as A Kind Worth Killing( one of the best books I have ever read) but a suspenseful take with a few good twists
Mal is a bookstore owner and a lover of mystery fiction. For his own entertainment, he has kept a list of the hardest to solve fictional mysteries. An FBI agent has a particular interest in that list as is would appear a killer is mimicking the murders on the list, and she’s not the only one watching Mal; the killer is keeping a close eye on him as well. I really enjoyed this unique mystery that puts a mystery reader and book lover in the crosshairs of a killer because of his love of the craft
What a perfect book for a gloomy rainy New England day. This new novel by Peter Swanson was amazing! I finished it in one reading.  This one had me guessing until the very end what was truth and what was not! I have enjoyed all of Swanson's books - love the characters, the New England/Boston settings, the writing style.....simply fantastic and entertaining.  Thank you for the advanced copy.  I will be recommending to everyone!