Cover Image: Separation Anxiety

Separation Anxiety

When Judy started wearing her son's old baby sling, with her dog in it instead, it's something I thought of as quirky and charming. After all, I have a mini dachshund and it's def something I could see myself doing with my Snoopy! But when I delve deeper into that scenario, it would be more to relieve his separation anxiety than it would mine... So this book that I started out thinking would be funny, turned out to be incredibly sad. Idk what else to say? Besides thanks netgalley for giving me the pdf so that I can share my thoughts and opinions with y'all 🧡
This was an interesting read.  Judy, the main character, is in a rut -- her life has not turned out quite like she expected.  One day, when she finds her son's old baby sling, she decides to put her dog -- the one member of her family she still feels close to -- in the sling and carry him around like that.  This odd premise leads the reader through a compelling journey of what it means to navigate adulthood when things are not what you anticipated or hoped for and how to find a way toward happiness nonetheless.  Recommended!
This was a well written book with an interesting and slightly quirky storyline. It was supposed to be full of humor and though I could see the funny side of things (like wearing her dog in a baby sling), I also found it incredibly said. At this point in the pandemic, I cannot read sad books, I'm sure I would have enjoyed this book in happier times but I had to give up a quarter of the way through.
I found this book to be hilarious and honestly something I think I would do as a dog lover myself. The book was quirky and funny. Highly recommend.
I did not enjoy this one sadly. It did not hold my attention. I may just not have been in the right place at the time to properly read and enjoy this book.
Judy is anxious and disappointed in where her life is at this point. Her career, family life and marriage are all not what she had dreamed they would be - not even close.

Honestly, I put off reading this book because it was a little to close to my reality to talk about anxiety. Maybe a little too close to everyone's reality this year. However, it's a thoughtful, thought-provoking and well-written book that is worth a read when you're in the right place for this kind of novel. It will make you think and feel.
This book is quirky and funny, with endearing characters. Laura Zigman sets the scene of relatable marital and family water-tredding, but throws in such funny, and zany-enough-to-be-true details to warm your heart and make you think. I'll happily recommend this one.
When Judy finds a baby sling and starts wearing the dog, I thought there would be more humor, but I thought a lot of it was more heartbreaking than I  was expecting.
This book was so accurately written on being a middle aged woman. It was heartfelt and very funny. I read it in a day since it was not as complicated as others. I will recommend this title to library patrons who are ready for a fun and well done read.
“Separation Anxiety” just was not for me. It did not pull me in. I really struggled to finish this one which is sad because I was really looking forward to reading it. I have anxiety myself and I know how it feels but I found Judy to be an insufferable character. I did not really connect with her if I’m being honest. The story itself was sad.It just missed the mark in my personal opinion.
I was given a free copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I really wanted to like this book, however, I couldn't get past the fact that she was wearing her dog.  The whole concept seemed so ridiculous, that I couldn't take the rest of the book seriously.

#netgalley #separationanxiety #hatedit
I should preface this by saying I am not really a "dog person." (Blasphemous, I know.) Given this, I found it somewhat hard to connect with Judy and her attachment to her dog, even with the intended humor behind it. That said, this is a book about coming to a point in one's life where there's a reckoning. It's an examination of marriage, parenting, and one's relationship with one's self.

Many thanks to the author, publisher, and NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book. All thoughts are my own.
What’s Judy to do when her son Teddy is depressed (and won't talk about it) and her husband Garrett wants to separate. With a peculiar living arrangement due to financial strain, the two have decided to be roommates as of sorts in the time being. The peculiarity only continues when Judy sees her son’s old baby sling and starts carrying the family dog inside it. Now this once famous children’s book writer can’t go anywhere without her dog (who she adamantly denies is a therapy dog).

As Judy reconciles with always feeling as if no one understood her (well really her mother), she tries to strike gold again with another book. But nothings coming and it’s so easy to write fluff articles about avocado to make a living.

I found Judy, sometimes exasperating, but relatable. Constantly wanting to validate her self worth and seeking it externally. Making assumptions about people even when she's wrong. Being extremely judgmental in neoliberal fashion. She’s written with flaws and it works. I know a Judy in my life.

The hijinks she gets into among the suburbanites are entertaining. From someone pooping in her son’s school to going on a writer’s retreat. Judy along with her separated husband try to navigate their new relationship. Does this mean staying together or finding something new? There are a lot of interesting questions and some equally fun answers. I recommend this for fans of Where’d You Go Bernadette? and Finding Audrey.
When I first read about Separation Anxiety, I was intrigued.  Mainly because I could relate to Judy's attaching to her dog.  It took me several weeks and reading lots of positive reviews to read this novel.  I could certainly relate to the notion of attaching to a pet as a source of comfort in times of change, and I could see bits of myself in Judy.  This book is quirky and a bit silly at times, but is so cute and different that it is pleasurable to read.
I received this book In exchange for an honest review from netgalley.

This book is strange and relatable all at the same time. From a big picture standpoint, Judy’s life is pretty stereotypical - she is middle aged, dealing with financial and marital issues while coping with the loss of her parents and her growing son. These aspects of the story made her relatable and likable even as the kooky aspects kicked in. The obvious oddity is that she wears her dog in a sling, and that it becomes a central part of the story line. Add in a retreat, a weird school, and puppets, and it’s pretty comical.

I enjoyed this book - it’s not deep, but it’s sweet.
Thank you Ecco Books for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Judy is 50 year old wife and mother, who feels like she is loosing stability in both her personal and professional life. She used to be a successful children’s book author, and her marriage is quickly falling apart. She doesn’t have the money to afford divorcing her husband, and she feels like her relationship with her 13 year old son is getting distant and forced. And to top it off, her best friend is terminally ill. While cleaning up, Judy finds a baby sling, and decides to start wearing her dog. The dog quickly becomes a coping mechanism for Judy. What could go wrong?

I really enjoyed this book so much. I felt like it was a light hearted and realistic read, of what it’s like to go go through living with anxiety. I felt like Judy was such a realistic character and easily relatable. This book had me chuckling multiple times throughout reading it. It is a little slow in the beginning, but it does pick up as you go on.  If you haven’t read it yet, I would recommend it.
This book really was like nothing I've read (in the best way possible). Super quirky, super hilarious, and yet also an insightful look into how it looks and feels when a relationship falls apart. I loved it a lot more than I thought I would.
I thought I would enjoy this book but it was a struggle to get into it for me. I am sure others will like it, though.
This story explores the highs and lows of marriage, family, and human connection. Every relationship contains multitudes, ranging from despair, to boredom, to elation, to peace, to anger, and every other  emotion. Everyone in this book is trying to take their weird and make it fit into a world that has little space for it. Recommended for reader of Eleanor Oliophant Is Completely Fine.
I loved the absurdity of this story. Blazed through the book in a few days. It was so funny and so realistic at the same time.