Cover Image: The Eighth Girl

The Eighth Girl

An interesting, creepy idea for a book - but I had a bit of a hard time following the plot, and I felt a little confused at times.
I had high hopes for this one because it sounded so interesting and I love psychological thrillers.
This book was okay. I did enjoy it but felt the plot got a little convoluted at times which lowered the rating for me.
I liked the characters but wanted more from them.
I was so excited by the concept of this book - multiple personalities! Such a cool idea but definitely was hard to keep up with the storyline. I was often confused and had to re-read pages to try and orient myself in the story.
Thank you to the publisher and to Netgalley for the advance copy of this book!

I loved this book. The atmosphere was everything I wanted it to be. I loved the plot and storyline in the book. I loved the characters in this story. It gave me all the feels I was looking for when I started reading this. I highly recommend this author. I loved the writing. I will be looking for other works in the future from this author.
This book had a really interesting concept, but it was a bit difficult and confusing for me to get into when I was reading it. I would really like to give this one another chance at a different time though, I think I would've enjoyed it more in different circumstances!
Here’s my review of this title:

I enjoyed this book.  It was engaging from start to finish.  I loved the characters.  I found the alternate personalities to be very entertaining and a unique story.

The big reveal at the end was excellent.  The story was a little confusing.  If you contemplated it for too long you might find some to be unexplainable.  But overall it was a good thriller.

I received this galley from NetGalley.
Thank you NetGalley.

One woman, many personas. But which one is telling the truth?

Alexa Wú is a brilliant yet darkly self-aware young woman whose chaotic life is manipulated and controlled by a series of alternate personalities. Only three people know about their existence: her shrink Daniel; her stepmother Anna; and her enigmatic best friend Ella.

When Ella gets a job at a high-end gentleman's club, she is gradually drawn into London's cruel underbelly. With lives at stake, Alexa follows her friend on a daring rescue mission. Threatened and vulnerable, she will discover whether her multiple personalities are her greatest asset, or her most dangerous obstacle.

Left you guessing and kept you on your toes.  If you are looking for a great psychological thriller this is it!
While I found the premise of The Eighth Girl intriguing, the delivery was complicated and hard to follow. I struggled to get into the story, finding it slow, sad, and clinical. I put it down on a number occasions before finishing. I wanted to love it but for a thriller it fell short for me.
This book wasn't for me unfortunately.  I appreciate the opportunity to read it but was unable to finish it.
A good book that takes a look at two topics that up until this point, have likely not been combined in a thrilling work of fiction.  Those two topics are mental health (in particular Dissociative identity disorder aka DID) and the sex trafficing industry.  A character driven book that really only involves two main character, but with one  experiencing DID, you feel the full cast of voices that are competing for space within Alexa's body!
The Eighth Girl by Maxine Mei-Fung Chung 4.5 stars if possible
What a mind blowing book! I won't tell you what it is about, you can read that in the blurb or other people's reviews, what I will tell you is that this is one of those books that reaches out slowly and  then snatches you completely until it's finished. I found it to be highly interesting, a little mysterious, a little sad (more than a little) and more than enough to make me want to read more from this author! Thank you Netgalley and the Publishers for allowing me to leave my opinion.
The best thing about this book is the abundance of adjectives, but that doesn't make it a better psychological thriller.  The concept of multiple personalities is an intriguing concept, but given that possibility, there was little suprise.  Narration by both Alexa and her psychotherapist seems to revolve more around how Alexa is dealing with her issues. Its more character study than thriller.
I rarely, rarely find books that I have difficulty finishing, but I seem to have been coming across several lately.  Maxine Mei-Fung Chung's The Eighth Girl is unfortunately one of those books.  Right from the start, I knew this wasn't the book for me.  The writing style is too meandering and tedious; the explanations of psychological disorders too obvious; and the plot, characters, and multiple personalities, not obvious enough.  I am sorry I wasn't able to enjoy it more.
This was an interesting book, but I'm not sure I enjoyed it very much. The "twist" near the end explains the title, but I think it could have been named something else.
This is a dark and complex novel with a subject that had a lot of promise but for me didn't quite deliver.  The pacing is very slow and with the constant moving back and forth between characters,  is rather confusing.  There is a lot of clinical jargon which, while interesting, tends to be dry.  There isn't much action since most of the narrative takes place in the heads of Daniel and Alexa (and her other personalities.)

Not what I'd call a feel-good book!
What a read! I started reading this book and even stayed up late to finish it because the story was so mesmerizing. In fact, I'm adding it to my list of books to re-read because I want to see if I can connect the dots now that I know how it ends. I'm also excited to see that this novel has been optioned by Netflix. Despite its darkness, it will make a great movie!

I initially chose this book because of the plot. The story centers around a young woman named Alexa. We already know going into the book that she has multiple personalities. She has a stepmother (Anna), a best friend (Ella) and is working with a shrink (Daniel). These three are the only ones that are aware of her various personas. Alexa is a talented photographer and I like how Chung (the author) uses that to explain how it helps her to deal with her mental illness. Her best friend Ella gets a job working at a strip club called Electra and that's where the story gets gritty. Alexa doesn't want her friend working there, yet she can't stay away from the place herself. She starts dating Shaun, the club's bartender and even parties with people from the club (via Ella's coaxing, of course). Her shrink, Daniel, is doing his best to help Alexa without succumbing to his own set of demons.

Chung does a fantastic job weaving in all the different voices of these characters into a viable story line, but it seems like the prose sometimes gets weighed down with too much clinical explanations. The book deals with some dark stuff (i.e. rape, childhood sexual assault, etc) and might be triggering for some, so I don't recommend it for everyone. However, overall, it's a good read and I enjoyed the plot twist at the end.
Many thanks to NetGally, William Morrow and Maxine Mei-Fung Chung for the opportunity to read and review her debut novel - 4 stars for a dark but so intriguing look into mental illness, sex trafficking, psychology.

Alexa Wung has Dissociative Identity Disorder, or multiple personalities, after suffering abuse at the hands of her father after her mother died.  We meet Alexa as she meets with a therapist, Daniel, who is himself suffering from the loss of his wife and his struggle for sobriety.  There are only 3 people who know about the other personalities - Anna, Alexa's stepmom; Ella, her best friend; and Daniel.  When Ella gets involved with the shady underworld of sex trafficking, Alexa is obsessed with trying to gather enough information on the players involved to go to the police and rescue the young girls.

Told in alternating viewpoints of David and Alexa, this is a slow, character study look into a very seedy world and the long-term implications that abuse has on the psyche.  Obviously would have many triggers for readers, but although long, I thought this debut was gripping, gritty and very well-written.  Stick with it until the end - you won't be disappointed!
Alexa Wu is a young, beautiful, fledgling photographer. She is also the host to a “flock” of alternate personalities that help protect her from the truth of her past and the danger of her present when she gets ensnared in the filthy underbelly of London’s sex work industry.

This book examines the sometimes terrible truth behind one woman’s psyche and what our traumas create to help us cope.

Did I love this book? Sadly not. And I’ll tell you why:

The first half of the book was seriously difficult to follow.  I wasn’t sure what I was reading, who was speaking and could not keep track of all of the characters.

The characters in this story felt like they only existed in a therapeutic setting or at the strip club. We didn’t learn about about them or their lives for them to truly feel real. Simply put, they did not come to life on the page.

That said, I really got into the psychological aspect of this book. I wanted more of it! I was fascinated by the exploration of Dissociative Identity Disorder in tandem with the very real and very scary sex work industry.

It was at times terrifying and exhilarating while also being full of sorrow.

Thank you to NetGalley and HarperCollins for providing me with an advance copy of this book to read and review.

#TheEighthGirl #NetGalley
Focusing on the life of Alexa Wu, a woman living with Dissociative Identity Disorder. We follow her day to day life - including her therapy appointments and her various personalities. There's also a story line with Alexa's friend Ella working at a gentleman's club which at first, Alexa hated, but then she starting to spend more and more time.

With a past history of sexual abuse, the added stress and increasing danger affects Alexa and her personalties more and more. This is a dark look at mental health and mental diseases.

Thanks to netGalley and the publishers for the opportunity to read and review this book.