A Wicked Hunger

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

A Wicked Hunger - Creatures of Darkness: A Coraline Conwell Novel by Kiersten Fay

Her mysterious past could mean his doom…or his salvation.

Vampires run this city. Hell, they practically run the world. Despite her blurry past, Coraline knows just how dangerous they can be. All her life, she has strived to avoid them. But when her husband is murdered, and she finds herself targeted next, her survival suddenly depends on a devastatingly handsome vampire named Mason.

Thank you to Netgalley & Victory Editing for my copy.

Steamy PNR / Fantasy Romance has been a guilty pleasure of mine lately, so, I had to nab A Wicked Hunger after I read the synopsis.

A Wicked Hunger - is an addictive read. I finished the book in one sitting!

For the most part of the book, it's all about the sexual tension between Cora and Mace as you would expect.

Mason is portrayed as your typical alpha male but he falls a little short. I prefer these types of characters to develop over the story line, to be stripped down and have their inner emotions revealed as the story progresses. For all his 'alpha maleness', he actually wears his heart on his sleeve.

Cora is your stereotypical heroine. She has a tragic past, her husband was an emotional abuser and she doesn't have anywhere to go after his demise. Interestingly, she holds back on her feelings for Mace - this was quite refreshing to see as a reader. She is open and honest with him about that. I'll be interested in reading how Mace helps her to lower those barriers.

This book has all the scenes primed for a little steam as you would expect; motel room, baths, showers and even an enchanted cottage.

Cliches and predictability aside, this was a well written and fun book to read.

The stakes were raised higher towards the end - and I can't wait to find out what happens next!

Would I recommend?

Yes, for those driven by characters more than world building. It's fun, steamy and has just enough mystery towards the end that leaves you wanting more.
*warning* This book ends on a cliffhanger.
I really enjoy reading in the paranormal romance genre. Kiersten Fay did a great job with A Wicked Hunger, I am now keen to see what else this author has written.
This was sadly a hard pass for me. I didn't like Cora, she was annoying and wierd and i didn't see much character devolepment either... The Main character dude, Mason were slightly annoying also - i didn't like him so much.
The story was meh for me. I won't be reading the next book in the series.
This book is the first in a new series from Kiersten Fay, and I would say it is off to a good start! It's a bit of a departure from her other paranormal series, and it should be noted that it ends with a cliffhanger.

The book is set in an alternate reality where vampires are openly "out" in society with humans. The h (Coraline/Cora) is a human (though later it is revealed that she is actually a witch) who witnessed her husband's gruesome death, and Mason (vampire) gets involved because he has been assigned to investigate cases of potential vampire trafficking. When Cora and Mason meet, he is immediately taken with her, and he gets pretty alpha male about it. Later, we are introduced to Knox and Trent, so it ends up being a reverse harem kind of situation. Overall, I liked the main characters and am interested to see where the story heads next in the second installment.
I wanted to love this story as I'm a huge fan of PNR and suspense.
Cora has a husband, that is a wealthy businessman and can do everything, but when he's killed and she finds herself in constant danger and she can't survive on her own (as she's not that kind of heroine), she will have to try and somehow trust vampire that says that he will protect her. But is that true? Or she's going to fin if shameful to probably follow a vampire?
There will be a lot of twists and turns, suspense, unfortunately, was sometimes overwhelmed by the sexiness which had made the whole plot lost some momentum that was given there.
I have a love for the erotic genre but also the vampiric stories and I can honestly say this novel was a refreshing read. It covered both subject matters that I am interested in and the content was thoroughly entertaining. Overall, I found this to be quite the intriguing read, it certainly knows how to capture the audience.
Super fun fast-paced paranormal book. I'm excited to see what Kiersten Fay does next in the series. Her world-building was an interesting approach to the shared world of vampires and humans. Her main character Coraline was likable and had some good lines. Some of the plot was shaky of played a little too hard into certain tropes, broody alpha male, etc. But, on the whole, a good read and I will definitely pick up more by this author.
Mace and Coras story with a little Knox thrown in. Cora finds herself in the middle of a vampire police investigation. Seems like her now deceased husband was selling illegally obtained vampire blood not mention testing it on her. When her life is threatened Mace is tasked with protecting her. But how do you protect someone whose afraid of the protector?

I read and reviewed this advanced complimentary copy of this book from NetGalley
I really liked this one. Action-packed paranormal romance with a spark of erotica.
Coraline wants to spice up her marriage and surprise her husband, But she gets more than she bargained for. The turn of events forced her into the hands of the vampire. The species she hated the most, as she was tortured by one when she was ten. Revealing more of her past is devastating and her repugnance toward them is more than entitled. I felt for her and understood her action.
I liked the progress of the story, a lot is happening but some mysteries are still hidden. The chemistry between the main characters is a bit cold in the beginning but they find their pace. I am wondering about Knox. Despite his stupid comments and action, I think he is not bad per se. He is a mystery and I think there is much more there than meets our eye.
The book ends abruptly with a cliffhanger and I want to know more. What will happen? Where the story goes from here?
I would recommend it to paranormal readers.
Glad to have read the first part of the series, accidentally having read the fourth. I wasn't expecting much from the book, you know, average vampire and witches. But I really did enjoy it. Cora could be a real heroine once she learns her powers. It was a pretty short book over all. And yes, it is erotica.
So, since I’m writing this a few months after I read the book, it took me a moment to remember the end, and then I remembered why I didn’t write the review at that point. The writing was good enough that I was ok with following the standard story and characters...and then the end happened. I don’t like cliffhangers and I didn’t like the twist that was thrown in and then no immediate conclusion. Since I did like it for the most part, I will most likely read the next part as long as it’s not another cliffhanger or crazy twist.

**I voluntarily read and reviewed this book
A Wicked Hunger, published by Victoria Editing, by Kiersten Fay is book one in her Creatures of Darkness Series and  A Coraline Conwell Novel.
Coraline Gordon is married to a hard man. Her husband and her became estranged and she wants to change that. But her attempt at repairing their marriage leads to something totally different.
The Vampire Enforcement Agency, in form of agent Mason shows up and her whole world isn't was it was anymore. She has to stand up for herself in a dangerous place at a dangerous time.
This is the first book by this new to me author and I'm happy I gave it  a try.
I was immediatedly sucked into the story. The writing is excellent and I connected easily with the characters.
Coraline is my kind of heroine and Mason wasn't half bad either. I loved how the characters interacted, I liked the storyline and the pace, just the right a mount of danger and drama. I can't wait to read the next book in the series, 5 stars.
Review from KDRBCK
This is a well written vampire story! I really liked the characters but was thrown off the story when a second vampire was introduced into the relationship. I’m normally a fan of reverse harem stories, but the dynamic here was more hateful not loving, which made me dislike it.

The story itself was a bit drawn out, which made sense when I figured out that the book will end on a cliffhanger and is part of a three book story arc.
Cora’s parents died when she was little.  She’s been on her own since.  She’s lead a rough life but met Winston and got married.  When she goes to surprise him while he’s at work, she is pulled away by law enforcement.  Pulled into another room, Cora realizes he’s cheating on her and then watches as he is shot to death.
Mason, who is with law enforcement, is tasked with keeping her safe.  As a witness? As a suspect?  She doesn’t know.  Then somehow, they exchange blood and they are bonded.  (Mason is a vampire.). In trying to keep her safe and out of harms reach, they are out into many different situations.  They finally get to a safe house only to discover something different about her past and her heritage.  Add in another vampire that Cora somehow gets blood bonded to, trying to figure out her past and what was going on with her husband, Cora and Mason have their hands full.
Awesome book!  Chapters are quick reads, easy to find a resting point if needed.  Story flows great and there is enough going on that it keeps your interest.  It sounds like a lot of subplots but they truly make the book,  I cannot wait for the next one to come out.  It does leave you wondering what will happen next.
A Wicked Hunger by Kiersten Fay is a dark love story. There are a lot of characters to keep track of and a deep back story. The main characters have depth and are damaged and interesting. The story s a bit dark and convoluted but it is interesting. I felt a little put off at the ending. Looking forward to the next installment.
Interesting steamy paranormal romance. Coraline's life turns upside down and the one that helps her is Vampire Masone. Coraline and  Masone finde refuge with another Vampire-Knox. In the book happens a lot of unexpected things and some shocking things are revealed. I hate it that it ends with a cliffhanger. There are so many things left unspoken and unsolved. Caroline is an interesting character, I hade a feeling that she couldn't determine her feelings toward Mason and don't forget there is Knox. In which way the story will go is to see in another book.
I volunteered to review an ARC of this book for NetGalley
Thanks to the publisher for a copy to read and give my honest opinion!

Ok. That was not cool.... I’m bereft. A book should have a beginning, middle, and an end....what kind of end was that? This book continues and is not summed up nicely between two bindings so be prepared.

What did I like? I liked the characters, Mason, Knox, Trent.... Coraline. All of them came to life in a whimsical way but still the storyline was good. I appreciate a good story line but that ending hurt. This is a unique spin on vampires and witches, and nicely done.

Would I buy this book? Great story but looks like the story continues into book two so be prepared to want the next one .....because that ending .....will leave you wanting it.

Thoughts for the author? I’m fuming. Disclaimer warning needs to be put on this book.
DNF 69%

This book started strong but as it went on and more characters were introduced I started to lose interest. We started with the plot of a missing vampire which was a good solid plot but I feel that it was forgotten about shortly after Mace and Cora left the city. After that there was so much going on with her blood, the bond, other vampires that I just keep wondering what was going on.

I think the concept of this was interesting. But  it needs to be fleshed out a bit more before it can be successful, at least for me.

*ARC provided by Netgalley for an honest review.*
This is a paranormal suspense romance occurring in an alternate future where vampires openly exist. This is the first book in the series and ends in a cliff hanger.
Our h - Coraline Conwell was orphaned at the age of ten and barely survived on the Vampire War torn streets. She marries wealthy Winston Gordon and feels she has left her desperate life behind her. But Winston isn't the man she thinks he is; he's under investigation for selling black market vampire blood. Mason, our H; is the Vampire Enforcement Agency investigator assigned to Cora and Winston.
The book has a great start, jumps right into the action and drama, but then slows down. It needs some editing to correct this as well as some misused words. If you are going to drink a potion, it comes in a vial, not in a vile; although it could taste that way! Also, Cora may consign herself to feeling a certain way, but if she cosigns - it is for a loan! I don't mind a few typos, but I expect more from a published author. The story is interesting, but has so many unanswered questions in this book it impacts on the flow of the story. Perhaps they are fulfilled in future books? I did like the characters, even if Cora seemed a little weak initially, but it fits her character development. I don't like cliffhangers, but I do need to find out what happened!
I received an ARC from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.
An excellent paranormal romance with a good set of characters. Solid writing and dialogue. REally enjoyed it