Cover Image: Ivory

Ivory

An ice princess. A jaguar shifter.
She’s a flight attendant who wants nothing to do with super heroes. Hiding her ice powers. Hiding from her family. Hiding is a full-time job, but Ivory can only suppress her inner warrior if she wants to keep the normal life she’s built from nothing. He’s a career hero and a member of the legendary Manhattan Ten. Tall, dark, and shifter, the concrete jungle is his playground. Jag takes nothing seriously until Ivory tempts his inner predator.
This was a decent read. It was a pretty quick to read. The characters were likable and the overall plot was good. I recommend.
**I voluntarily read and reviewed this book
Did not finish at 20% mark, I can't feel connected to the characters and it was way too fast for my liking.
This book was originally published in 2013 as book 2 in the Manhattan Ten series.  It is now released as book 1 in the series.  It is a short read with super heroes, steamy sex and a fair story line.  Ivory is a creature of the cold Arctic that is having control issues.  She meets Panther on a airplane flight that has a crazed man attack her.  Very quick easy read. I received a copy of this ARC in exchange for a fair and easy review.
Did not finish. I just couldn't get into the story and the characters were kind of flat in my opinion.
The second In the Manhattan 10 series. despite not having read the first book I still
Enjoyed the characters and storyline in Ivey. Definitely recommend. Thanks to the publisher and netgalley for the arc.
An effective genre cross, this Superhero Romance Novella is enthralling from start to finish. The Manhattan Ten, are a group of superhero's who openly use their powers for protection (gasp, yes openly).

Within a few chapters, the author had effectively woven together the plot-line, world and characters into a dynamically altered narrative that left the reader wanting more. Whilst this may have been too quickly, leaving room for depth and development, this is something easily justified by being the first book in the series - plenty of room for growth.
I didn't know this wasn't the first book in the series but I just went along with it.. anyway, I enjoyed this, I really do. But I would've enjoyed this more if it wasn't a novella and we got more of the events and characters because this was actually pretty enjoyable. And I love reading superhero-ish stories in books and this was really entertaining.

3.5 stars!
Kitties, Ice & Everything Nicely Spicy!
Ivory is the first (and newly released) novella-length story in The Manhattan Ten Series by Lola Dodge. Don’t worry, just because this a shorter story doesn’t mean that the readers get short changed on fun. Instead it takes off soaring! Really! The story starts off in an airplane, and we find out why airplanes and Superhumans create a great setting for getting to know our two main characters: Ivory and Jag.

Valdis aka Ivory isn’t your typical flight attendant. She’s a princess from a race of super-people that has ice in their veins. Think Queen Elsa, but taller, and a little scarier. Valdis had a falling out with her family, and has since been trying to stay under the radar of the public. Nothing would be worse than being in the public eye. So when Ivory inadvertently gives her secrety indentity away to one seriously rage-y passenger, luckily there’s another Super on board to help before she gets lost to her inner ice warrior.

Jag is a Superhero and part of The Manhattan Ten. He fell asleep on the job, literally. He was supposed to keep an eye on the passenger that attacked Ivory. What he wasn’t expecting was how icy Ivory makes his inner kitty purr. He’s a jaguar shifter, and Ivory is the perfectly cool warrior to his jungle heat predator.

This is definitely a spicy book! The chemistry between the two is both hot and comical. Ivory is reluctant to give herself over to how she feels about Jag. And then there’s Jag, who is so impatient, he will do anything to prove to Ivory that he’s not afraid of her or her ice warrior. What Ivory doesn’t expect is not only a job offer, but to be thrust directly into the media crosshairs after that disastrous plane ride. As good as The Manhattan Ten seem, the allure of fading away is equally appealing. It’s only until Ivory picks up on a clue that helps in an ongoing Manhattan Ten case does she realize that she’ll do more good with the team of Superheros, than just trying to start over somewhere else.

I’m not sure what’s more fun: the fast-paced plot, or the Superheros that make up The Manhattan Ten. All of them are unique, and the brief glimpse we get is really enticing. Ivory by Lola Dodge is a 5 Snowflake story! Don’t miss Book 2, Temptress, which comes out on November 12th!
A superhero origin story. Ivory, a combination of Elsa and Thor, is outed from her civilian existence and unwillingly joins a team of superheroes.

It was a very quick read, and folks who are really into superhero novels and comics might enjoy this. I am so over superheroes right now though. After 10+ years of Marvel movies, we are long overdue for creative works to really play with the genre and do something new, such as HBO's new Watchmen series. To contrast, I didn't think Ivory added anything substantive to the genre.

Two big thumbs up for an interracial romance.
This is a re-release of a superhero-romance series (The Manhattan Ten) in which this was previously book 2. It's now book 1 and it's utterly fantastic.

Ivory is an ice-elemental super who's been hiding among humanity for years. When a surprise attack "outs" her powers, she's forced to seek refuge with super-hotty Jag and the Manhattan 10, a superhero conglomerate that puts Lola Dodge about 6 years ahead of her time, since the original Ivory came out that long before Amazon Prime's The Boys.

Fans of The Boys who love romance will adore this story.

Ivory is not as dark (or as cynical) as the Amazon Prime blockbuster, but it's just as grown-up. And the romance element is handled brilliantly. The book contains some explicit sex, but there's enough of a ramp-up to make the romance angle highly satisfying.

One of my pet peeves as a reader is when romance books start out sweetly innocent and then turn explicit in the middle with no real warning. If I'm going to enjoy a romance (and this is just my personal preference), there needs to be some burn leading up to it, and there needs to be a layered story around it.

Ivory has both, with a crew of bad guys who are out there killing supers (again, ahead of its time), and a troubled past that has Ivory herself terrified by her sudden publicity. I loved the story, and I only wish the next book in the series were also about Ivory and Jag because I love them together and I want to read more!!!

Still, there's nothing wrong with having more than one favorite super couple. If I fall in love with them all this hard, I'll be begging for a book 5 that brings them all together!!!

Bottom Line: A 5-star superhero-romance with a layered plot, juicy heat, and a healthy dose of action in a quick page-turner!

Thank you to the author and Net Galley for providing a review copy, which in no way affected my opinion of the book.
I love love loved this story!! I am officially hooked on the Manhattan Ten series after finishing Ivory. This story was a dual-POV (which I love) that reminded me somewhat of X-Men meets Watchmen meets romance. In Ivory we met Valdis (aka Ivory) and Jag and got a quick intro to the other members of the Manhattan Ten, what they do and why. I will devour every ounce of content from this series I can get my hands on. Gimme gimme!
Maybe I’d have liked this more if it wasn’t a novella. I wasn’t feeling any of the characters either. Was way too fast paced.
This felt very rushed and the characters underdeveloped, probably because it was a novella. I am not a fan of insta-love and I wish the relationships were developed more and felt more natural.
I'm rounding up on this rating, because there's a lot of unanswered questions by the end of it, and most of it has to do with the lack of world building. First off, where does this book fit in the timeline? It doesn't seem like Tank has met Temptress yet, but nor was there any real mention of Ivory in Temptress' book. Also, who exactly are Ivory's people? Where does she come from? For that matter, where does Panther come from? I really would enjoy the series more if there was more info like that in these books. I understand that they're supposed to be novellas, but they're good! I think readers could handle a little more world building.

Ignoring these questions, you're left with a decent beach read that has some action and very steamy bedroom scenes. I really like that these books, while showcasing the bedroom's steamy side, also has a plot that engages the reader. I'm still going to keep up with the series, and would recommend them to those that like superhero romances, but the lack of world building is getting very frustrating for this reader.
If Elsa from Frozen and a Wolverine-Jaguar-like X-Men character had a book baby for adults, it would be this one. It's full of heroes with super powers, that have some of the same problems than us so it would make them human-like, full of action and with a build-up steamy romance... it's short, so you can read it really fast and you will want to read more from Ivory, trust me.

Many thanks to the INscribe Digital for the complimentary e-copy of this book through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
This story is full of entertainment from start to finish.  I believe this is the first in a new series of superhero romances.  The premise of the story is solid:  super-powered flight attendant kills someone on one of her flights and ends up having to lie low with a team of other superheroes who happen to be investigation a serial killer who is fixated on other superheroes.  I don't want to get into the plot too much because I don't want to spoil the plot.  I will say that the mysterious element of the serial killer aspect is excellent for adding quite a bit of tension and mystique to the already action paced, high energy driven story as it is.  The romance and character development are more than adequate and I would consider fully reading more in a line of this storyline.  Well done and I look forward to seeing what happens in the future!
When I requested this book from NetGally I didn't actually knew a lot about the writer or the book in itself. The briefing they provided sounded promising, however, once I started reading the book I had to realise this it just wasn't for me :/

I literally eye-rollee after every single page of the book.

It was just too much.... Every page had the word "superheros" and how sexy and how much they yearn for sex with each other and I just couldn't take it anymore. I didn't actually feel like the story was progressing in any direction at all, other then the obviously highlighted part where the two main characters were lusting for each other. No thank you.

The characters were lousy in my opinion and I wasn't too taken aback by the writing style either.

Unfortunately, this book just wasn't for me.
What got me to want to read this book? The cover, always the cover. It was witty and fun. I enjoyed both books I've read from Lola so far.
I actually really enjoyed this novella. The romance, though it happened quickly, didn’t bother me and I liked them together. The plot was there and the cast led me to wanted to know more about them. I can see myself coming back to this one.
This was my first book by this author, It was pretty enjoyable. I would give this book a 3.5 star rating! It was a pretty Quick and easy read!