Ivory

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 30 Nov 2019

I didn't know this wasn't the first book in the series but I just went along with it.. anyway, I enjoyed this, I really do. But I would've enjoyed this more if it wasn't a novella and we got more of the events and characters because this was actually pretty enjoyable. And I love reading superhero-ish stories in books and this was really entertaining.

3.5 stars!
Kitties, Ice & Everything Nicely Spicy!
Ivory is the first (and newly released) novella-length story in The Manhattan Ten Series by Lola Dodge. Don’t worry, just because this a shorter story doesn’t mean that the readers get short changed on fun. Instead it takes off soaring! Really! The story starts off in an airplane, and we find out why airplanes and Superhumans create a great setting for getting to know our two main characters: Ivory and Jag.

Valdis aka Ivory isn’t your typical flight attendant. She’s a princess from a race of super-people that has ice in their veins. Think Queen Elsa, but taller, and a little scarier. Valdis had a falling out with her family, and has since been trying to stay under the radar of the public. Nothing would be worse than being in the public eye. So when Ivory inadvertently gives her secrety indentity away to one seriously rage-y passenger, luckily there’s another Super on board to help before she gets lost to her inner ice warrior.

Jag is a Superhero and part of The Manhattan Ten. He fell asleep on the job, literally. He was supposed to keep an eye on the passenger that attacked Ivory. What he wasn’t expecting was how icy Ivory makes his inner kitty purr. He’s a jaguar shifter, and Ivory is the perfectly cool warrior to his jungle heat predator.

This is definitely a spicy book! The chemistry between the two is both hot and comical. Ivory is reluctant to give herself over to how she feels about Jag. And then there’s Jag, who is so impatient, he will do anything to prove to Ivory that he’s not afraid of her or her ice warrior. What Ivory doesn’t expect is not only a job offer, but to be thrust directly into the media crosshairs after that disastrous plane ride. As good as The Manhattan Ten seem, the allure of fading away is equally appealing. It’s only until Ivory picks up on a clue that helps in an ongoing Manhattan Ten case does she realize that she’ll do more good with the team of Superheros, than just trying to start over somewhere else.

I’m not sure what’s more fun: the fast-paced plot, or the Superheros that make up The Manhattan Ten. All of them are unique, and the brief glimpse we get is really enticing. Ivory by Lola Dodge is a 5 Snowflake story! Don’t miss Book 2, Temptress, which comes out on November 12th!
A superhero origin story. Ivory, a combination of Elsa and Thor, is outed from her civilian existence and unwillingly joins a team of superheroes.

It was a very quick read, and folks who are really into superhero novels and comics might enjoy this. I am so over superheroes right now though. After 10+ years of Marvel movies, we are long overdue for creative works to really play with the genre and do something new, such as HBO's new Watchmen series. To contrast, I didn't think Ivory added anything substantive to the genre.

Two big thumbs up for an interracial romance.
This is a re-release of a superhero-romance series (The Manhattan Ten) in which this was previously book 2. It's now book 1 and it's utterly fantastic.

Ivory is an ice-elemental super who's been hiding among humanity for years. When a surprise attack "outs" her powers, she's forced to seek refuge with super-hotty Jag and the Manhattan 10, a superhero conglomerate that puts Lola Dodge about 6 years ahead of her time, since the original Ivory came out that long before Amazon Prime's The Boys.

Fans of The Boys who love romance will adore this story.

Ivory is not as dark (or as cynical) as the Amazon Prime blockbuster, but it's just as grown-up. And the romance element is handled brilliantly. The book contains some explicit sex, but there's enough of a ramp-up to make the romance angle highly satisfying.

One of my pet peeves as a reader is when romance books start out sweetly innocent and then turn explicit in the middle with no real warning. If I'm going to enjoy a romance (and this is just my personal preference), there needs to be some burn leading up to it, and there needs to be a layered story around it.

Ivory has both, with a crew of bad guys who are out there killing supers (again, ahead of its time), and a troubled past that has Ivory herself terrified by her sudden publicity. I loved the story, and I only wish the next book in the series were also about Ivory and Jag because I love them together and I want to read more!!!

Still, there's nothing wrong with having more than one favorite super couple. If I fall in love with them all this hard, I'll be begging for a book 5 that brings them all together!!!

Bottom Line: A 5-star superhero-romance with a layered plot, juicy heat, and a healthy dose of action in a quick page-turner!

Thank you to the author and Net Galley for providing a review copy, which in no way affected my opinion of the book.
I love love loved this story!! I am officially hooked on the Manhattan Ten series after finishing Ivory. This story was a dual-POV (which I love) that reminded me somewhat of X-Men meets Watchmen meets romance. In Ivory we met Valdis (aka Ivory) and Jag and got a quick intro to the other members of the Manhattan Ten, what they do and why. I will devour every ounce of content from this series I can get my hands on. Gimme gimme!
Maybe I’d have liked this more if it wasn’t a novella. I wasn’t feeling any of the characters either. Was way too fast paced.
This felt very rushed and the characters underdeveloped, probably because it was a novella. I am not a fan of insta-love and I wish the relationships were developed more and felt more natural.
I'm rounding up on this rating, because there's a lot of unanswered questions by the end of it, and most of it has to do with the lack of world building. First off, where does this book fit in the timeline? It doesn't seem like Tank has met Temptress yet, but nor was there any real mention of Ivory in Temptress' book. Also, who exactly are Ivory's people? Where does she come from? For that matter, where does Panther come from? I really would enjoy the series more if there was more info like that in these books. I understand that they're supposed to be novellas, but they're good! I think readers could handle a little more world building.

Ignoring these questions, you're left with a decent beach read that has some action and very steamy bedroom scenes. I really like that these books, while showcasing the bedroom's steamy side, also has a plot that engages the reader. I'm still going to keep up with the series, and would recommend them to those that like superhero romances, but the lack of world building is getting very frustrating for this reader.
If Elsa from Frozen and a Wolverine-Jaguar-like X-Men character had a book baby for adults, it would be this one. It's full of heroes with super powers, that have some of the same problems than us so it would make them human-like, full of action and with a build-up steamy romance... it's short, so you can read it really fast and you will want to read more from Ivory, trust me.

Many thanks to the INscribe Digital for the complimentary e-copy of this book through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
This story is full of entertainment from start to finish.  I believe this is the first in a new series of superhero romances.  The premise of the story is solid:  super-powered flight attendant kills someone on one of her flights and ends up having to lie low with a team of other superheroes who happen to be investigation a serial killer who is fixated on other superheroes.  I don't want to get into the plot too much because I don't want to spoil the plot.  I will say that the mysterious element of the serial killer aspect is excellent for adding quite a bit of tension and mystique to the already action paced, high energy driven story as it is.  The romance and character development are more than adequate and I would consider fully reading more in a line of this storyline.  Well done and I look forward to seeing what happens in the future!
When I requested this book from NetGally I didn't actually knew a lot about the writer or the book in itself. The briefing they provided sounded promising, however, once I started reading the book I had to realise this it just wasn't for me :/

I literally eye-rollee after every single page of the book.

It was just too much.... Every page had the word "superheros" and how sexy and how much they yearn for sex with each other and I just couldn't take it anymore. I didn't actually feel like the story was progressing in any direction at all, other then the obviously highlighted part where the two main characters were lusting for each other. No thank you.

The characters were lousy in my opinion and I wasn't too taken aback by the writing style either.

Unfortunately, this book just wasn't for me.
What got me to want to read this book? The cover, always the cover. It was witty and fun. I enjoyed both books I've read from Lola so far.
I actually really enjoyed this novella. The romance, though it happened quickly, didn’t bother me and I liked them together. The plot was there and the cast led me to wanted to know more about them. I can see myself coming back to this one.
This was my first book by this author, It was pretty enjoyable. I would give this book a 3.5 star rating! It was a pretty Quick and easy read!
I’ll admit that I didn’t realise this wasn’t the first book in the series. Nor did I clock that it was effectively paranormal romance featuring superheros. (The cover of the copy I got did not suggest that at all.) I’m very hit and miss on paranormal romance and wouldn’t normally seek to review it but I gave this a try anyway because I’d liked some of Dodge’s other books. The premise is interesting and the story was fun. It was hamstrung a bit by the romance which I just wasn’t interested in – my problem; I am clearly not the target audience here. Still a decent book but not really my thing.
The book was well written, but I felt like it had dragged on. The author did an amazing job telling the story though! I would recommend it!
This was an interesting and exciting novella with multiple positive aspects: romance, superheroes, shifters, and bad-asses. The story flowed well and the ending follows a consistent plot.
Thank you NetGalley, Ink Monster, LLC, and INscribe Digital for offering me the chance to read and review this e-arc. All opinions are my own.
----
ALL THE STARS. I was immediately gripped into this story and found myself staying up into the late hours of the night to get my fill of this amazing, page-turning romance. Needless to say, I had to sleep at some point, but as soon as I was awake (and even during parts of my work day) I squeezed in as much reading as I could until I finished this book and I am absolutely speechless. The perfect amount of romance, intimacy, adventure, mysterious thrill, and happily ever after was all in this tiny little novella-sized book. This book felt so much longer than the 30k words that were written, and I'm craving more of this fiery couple!

I'm honestly ashamed it took me so long to read this, considering I'm now going through the kindle store and trying to find every 'superhero romance' I can get my hands on. I didn't know I needed this until it was handed to me on a silver platter and I am hungry for more!

In fact, I'm immediately going and preordering the sequel because I'm so excited for the next book!
Sadly, as much as I wanted to enjoy this one, it ended up being exactly what I suspected, and just not for me. Great writing, don't get me wrong, just not my genre at all.
**Thank you to Ink Monster, LLC, Netgalley, and Lola Dodge for a copy of this ebook in exchange for an honest review**

Ivory is the first in the Manhattan Ten series, that is currently being re-released after being published several years ago. Ivory used to be the second in the series, but has been moved to first. Ivory is a novella length superhero story around Ivory, and ice princess, and Jag, a shape shifter that turns into a jaguar. Ivory is working as a flight attendant when she is forced to defend herself and reveal her powers when attacked by an anti-super human. In this world, those with super powers are considered celebrities, but not everyone agrees. Jag witnesses the attacks and brings her into the Manhattan Ten fold, much to her chagrin. Ivory doesn't want to be apart of a superhero group, she just wants to stay unnoticed.

Ivory is very short and readable, I finished it in one go. There isn't much character development being a novella, but with more books in the series revolving around the Manhattan Ten I imagine we will learn more over the series. There is some explicit adult content, so if you don't like reading explicit content this book may not be for you. There is also a fun, love at first sight theme for Ivory and Jag (even though she tried to ignore it!

Overall, this book was a 3.5 star read for me. I would be interested in reading more books in this series to learn more about the Manhattan Ten. The world reminds me of an adult version of The Incredibles.