Cover Image: While You Slept

While You Slept

This book was TENSE. It was so fast-paced I raced to finish it and find out what was really going on.

Unfortunately, what was going on made.... well, almost no sense. It felt like the author came up with a bunch of reasons, wrote them all down, put them in a hat, and picked one out. If there was more backstory to prop up the ending it would probably have been fantastic, but I don't really feel like there was any indication.

My other main issue was with Maisie, the supposed five-year-old, as a lot of other reviewers have pointed out. She did not read as a five-year-old at ALL, and it really kept pulling me from the story. I can't imagine a five-year-old saying "I want to go now. I don't want to be here any longer".

Having said that, I can see this translating into a fantastic thriller movie with a couple of changes.
creeepy. Definitely messes with your head - waking up a prisoner in your own house. I read it in the daylight so I wouldn't be up all night listening to every sound in my house LOL.
I only wish for a more BOOM of an ending. Fell somewhat flat for me.
Well written and nice sleek, simple cover!

Thank you for my free ARC in exchange for my honest review.
The absolute stuff of nightmares. I was engrossed from beginning to end. Excellent thriller material but don't read while you're home alone!
I was immediately taken with the creepy premise of this book so couldn't wait to get stuck in.

Now this did get the adrenaline pumping, it gripped me and had me turning the pages as quick as possible.... (and here it comes) BUT...

There were just too many moments of utter disbelief and too many things that felt wrong!

Firstly,  Maisie acts like a child of at least 10 or so years old but is supposedly only 5. Maybe as I have a daughter of that age I just couldn't find it believable but come on... no distraught 5 year old would act like a tween!

Secondly I couldn't get to grips with having no backstory, you never actually find out anything about the characters or their background and with the ending I feel some back story is most definitely needed (no spoilers).

Thirdly everything just felt sudden... all if the time! Every action was quick, the plot was quick, the ending was quick...

Lastly the ending made no bloody sense! Full stop.

Errrrrgh it just frustrated me so bad because I wanted it to be so good!

I'm giving 2* because it did keep me gripped the whole way through and I HAD to finish it.

Thanks to netgalley and Harper Collins UK (One More Chapter) for the ARC.
What I do enjoy about reading a Richard Parker novel is that he is not afraid to take a subject which is a little outside of the norm and spin it into a story that will keep you entertained to the very last page. He has certainly done that with While You Slept, a story that has a very strange appeal but rather dark undertones too. I won't lie - this isn't as dark as some of his other work so you aren't going to find anyone duelling with a mobility scooter here. The threat and the dark edge are far more subtle than that.

You are thrown into the action right from the off with the opening scenes showing protagonist Lily watching a man in her garden via her home security set-up. So far so normal - that's what those kits are for. But this man is wearing a mask of her young daughter's face - and this, whilst troubling, is probably one of the most straightforward problems she faces throughout the whole book. The police can do very little - there was no actual break in after all. But when Lily wakes up the next day it is in surroundings that are both familiar and unsettlingly wrong too. Whilst she and her daughter were asleep, someone has taken them and moved them to an exact replica of their home - with one small difference. This is a home from which they can never leave.

There is a constant sense of unease throughout the book, for obvious reasons. The only communication that Lily and Maisie have with the outside world is with the man who abducted them, a man who proves time and again how easily he can get to them and potentially hurt them. It does kind of make your skin crawl, that constant sense of being watched, not knowing if the food they have been left with has been tampered with but knowing that the intent is to keep them there, completely isolated, for a very long time. You do get a sense of the panic within Lily and the despair within Maisie and the chilling way in which their captor slowly lays out their intent.

What we do not know is the motivation behind the abduction, something that is revealed quite late on in the story and, to be honest, from out of nowhere to a degree. There is no hint of it throughout the rest of the book which makes the targeting of Lily seem even more random and , in a way, chilling. There are element of this book though where you will need to suspend disbelief a little, certainly as Lily and Maisie make a bid for freedom. The whole abduction lasts only a matter of days, but they are certainly eventful one as the abductor keeps his captives on edge. I enjoyed the story for what it was though, a short sharp, relatively fast paced read that I completed in a single evening.

If I had one niggle though, it was with Maisie who for five years old seemed to have too strong a vocabulary and sense of awareness. No I am no expert - not a parent, don't even go there - but I have a lot of nieces and nephews and I don't recall any of them being quite so strong and adult in character as Maisie. It may just be me - perhaps I am selling young children short. I know there is literally no telling what will come from some of their minds at times, but I think if her age had been just a little older, how she behaved, how she spoke, would have been more believable.

All in all a good story that I'm sure fans of the author will enjoy.
Okay, so I love love love creepy thrillers and I cannot believe I haven’t read a book by RJ Parker previously!! I’m going to be ordering more books by this author in the future. If you’re a fan of thrillers, this is the book for you. This book was intense, I was desperate to get to the end of it just to find out the ending. I was hooked from the start and finished it within a few days. I love the way the author writes, it makes you feel so emotional, like it’s happening to you! So intense! Love it!!

RJ Parker writes some creepy thrillers and I can’t believe I wasn’t reading this author sooner. This is a must for thriller fans, and I’ll be reading more of this author as soon as I can.
After recently reading The Dinner Party by R J Parker I was really excited to read his next book Whilst You Were Sleeping.

It tells the story of of Lily Russell and her five year old daughter Maisie who one day discover a man in their garden wearing a mask of Maisie. After a few creepy visits the pair go to bed one night and then wake up in a complete replica of their house, unable to leave.

Unsure what has happened Lily is only fed information through the male voice on the the phone, helpless to do anything but wait for his calls.

This story seemed to have so much premise but unfortunately I was slightly disappointed. The first 60% of the book sets the scene and builds the tension nicely and I flew through it but I felt that the latter half just lost its way a bit  and was slightly rushed and thus ended up being a little unbelievable. I must admit I never saw the twist coming (don’t think many would as if is slightly ludicrous!) and the cliffhanger was maybe a little unnecessary. It was an ok read though and after The Dinner Party this wouldn’t deter me from reading any further books by this author.

Thank you to NetGalley, Harper Collins and One More Chapter for the advanced reader copy.
Well.... shiiiiit. This book was crazy. From the first page I was hooked and couldn't put it down. What an emotional rollercoaster.
Lily and her daughter Maisie find themselves trapped in an exact replica of their home, with their every move watched and no way out.
Having been stuck in lockdown for just over 100 days and feeling a little claustrophobic myself, this book really got me in the feels. It felt so real.
Definitely one I would love to see become a movie. It had great potential.
I didn't love this thriller. I found it to be a bit too predictable and that diminished my enjoyment of it.
I was so looking forward to this book as I really enjoyed The Dinner Party by this author but this book took me a while to get into the story line and I wasn't keen on the characters.

Unfortunately it didn't hold my attention for very long and I was glad when I got to the end, strange as it was.

Thank you to Netgalley and Harper Collins (OMC) for giving me the opportunity to read this book.
I want to say thank you to NetGalley and HarperCollins UK for providing me with an ARC in exchange for my honest review.

Oh. Where to begin. This book was absolutely not for me. The synopsis of this book truly is intriguing, and that is why I was excited to review this to-be-released thriller. However, that is as exciting as it got. The first few pages had those "oooooh yes!" moments that trillers often do to hook you into the story, but it dies off fairly fast (I mean like 15 pages in fast).

This thriller extremely repetitive, and the characters were a really odd mix of over done and under done. Maisie is supposedly a toddler who acts and articulates things like a 13 year old who is going on 30.

Twists and twisty endings are necessary for a good thriller, HOWEVER this thriller gives you a twist that is bizarre. Of course we would never guess the ending because it was rough and made zero sense.

I think a good round of edits and manipulating the storyline to fill in some holes and maybe make some of these "twists" a bit more realistic would make this a pretty okay book.

Thanks again to NetGalley and the publisher for the free copy.
While You Slept is a story about kidnapping. Lily and her daughter wake up in a house replicated as their own. Except there is no way out. I like the premise of this book, however the actual story did not live up to that. Many aspects were just too unrealistic. I found myself rushing through just to get to the end.
Thanks to netgalley for the arc
I am so sorry but I was unable to get past 35% of this book. Nothing in this book was realistic, there is no way that Maisie's vocabulary is correct for a child of the age the book portrays her to be.  Lily's constant childish questioning of herself and the situation she finds herself in began to grate and I found that I had no interests in how or why she had been kidnapped. I do believe the premise for the story was good however the author appears to be unable to pull it together and the writing is childish with no concept of how parents and children converse when a child is that age.
I wasn’t sure about this book. It was an interesting premise but it didn’t really work for me. I found the conversations between Lily and Maisie too advanced for Maisie’s age. There also seemed to be an awful lot of unnecessary description, which was often quite clumsily written. The ending of the book felt very rushed and it wasn’t particularly satisfying. An interesting story, but not for me. Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for my copy of this book.
A creepy,  chilling thriller which had me glued to my seat and read in one sitting. Lily and her daughter wake up in their home, but it isn't there home. Everything looks the same but it is not. This home is now their prison. Who are their jailers? Atmospheric, chilling and packed to the rafters with tension and suspense. This book definitely got my heart racing and as for climax it blew me away. A really good thriller with more than a touch of the psychological.
Thanks to HarperCollins UK and One More Chapter and Netgalley for the ARC.
I enjoy this genre, and I thought the concept was intriguing. Unfortunately, it didn't hit the mark for me.

I was surprised with the lack of character development, which made it hard to connect and care about them. Some parts of the plot seem unnecessary, and I found myself skimming parts of this. Happily, some scenes (attempted escape) had just the right amount of tension, but it wasn't enough to make up for the other places that fell flat. I also wasn't crazy about the ending.

Wow! This is definitely a rollercoaster of a book full of twists and turns especially the last couple of chapters! I couldn’t imagine going to bed one night and then waking up in the “same” surroundings but then realising that it’s a prison that is effectively a replica of your home. Brilliantly written and highly recommend!
Really good book, The end was shocking. The characters are well written. The story line was good. Really enjoyed.
I received this ARC book from Netgalley for honest Review.

What a great thrill and suspense it was to read. What a great psychological thrill! This novel had everything in it. The thrill, the suspense, the psychological, and the twist is crazy. This novel will keep you thinking and guessing. When you think you right, well let me just say that you might be wrong. This had me all over the place. My heart beating so fast! I couldn't believe what I was reading. If had me in shock. Every page, every chapter was a page turner. I couldn't believe my eyes what I was reading. I highly recommend everybody get this book and read it. It will surprise you in every way.
5 stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

The storyline was very good!
The theme and setting was well put together. The characters was well put together in the story.
This story will have in a rollercoaster with all the spooky and secrets. Was so well put in the story.
Everything all in one book.
It was just perfect!
I highly recommend everybody get this and read it.
What a great read! This had me hooked from the beginning. What a Rollercoaster! The sitting, theme, and the Characters had me pulled so in. Everything was well put together and it was just perfect. This novel would have you guess and thinking all the way to the end. What a great thrill and suspense. I love a great suspense that would have me think and guessing. This novel did just that to me. To the point that am wrong. When the ending comes am on shock. I wouldn't of never believe or guess. Like OMG!
Highly recommend everybody get this book and read it. Its so good!
#netgallery #whileyouslept
Thank you to Netgalley for the chance to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
I enjoyed this book with its unusual plot and it is certainly a page turner. However, for me I felt that some of the writing was a bit "wordy" and the conversations that Lily had with her daughter were very advanced for a five year old. I think it would have worked better if Maisie had been a little older. It's just a small think but it did niggle a bit I'm afraid.