Cover Image: Mermaid Inn

Mermaid Inn

I freaking LOVED Mermaid Inn! I’m a polygamist book reader and mood reader by nature, I never know what I’m going to feel like reading each day. I just know that I’ll have 3-7 books on hand at all times. Over the weekend I was trying to read a little bit in all my current books, but I kept coming back to this one.

The town of Moonflower Bay captured me from the very first chapter (although I was very confused as to why the series was called Matchmaker Bay. don’t worry, it gets explained and it is delightful!) I love Jenny Holiday, she is one of my favorite contemporary romance authors. The way she mixes heavier topics, steamy scenes, and comedic moments? *swoon* Mermaid Inn is just as wonderful as all her previous books I’ve read.

I absolutely loved Eve and Sawyer’s story. I’m a sucker for second chance romance and I thought this one was so well done. Eve is forced to go back to Moonflower Bay after her beloved aunt dies and leaves her the Mermaid Inn. After avoiding the town for the last decade, the last thing she wants to do is stay especially since her former love is now the police chief. Yet her aunt had other plans and requires she own the Mermaid Inn for one year before selling it.

There are so many great hilarious moments in this book, and an equal amount of completely swoon worthy moments. The chemistry between Eve and Sawyer was so, so great. The last chapter of the book had me almost in tears and then grinning like an idiot. *sigh* I just loved this one a lot! Mermaid Inn was a five star read for me! I CANNOT WAIT to spend more time in Matchmaker Bay when Paradise Cove comes out in July! Highly recommend!

CW: references to former abuse from a parent, a parent with substance abuse, grief, a side character grieving the death of their young child.
Mermaid Inn by Jenny Holiday is a very light book. The plot was simple. Eve returns to the seaside town and Mermaid Hotel after her aunt dies because the inn was willed to her. She discovers her past love and they reunite. However, I don’t think the detailed sex scenes added to the end of the book. Thank you to Net Galley for an advance reader’s copy.

Eve Abbott has a problem--actually, make that a lot of problems. And they're all going to get worse the moment her toes hit the sand in Matchmaker Bay. Once a blissful summer escape, now the tiny town just reminds Eve of loss. Inheriting her aunt's beloved Mermaid Inn is the only reason Eve is coming back. She's definitely not ready to handle nosy neighbors, extensive renovations, or the discovery that a certain heartbreaker still lives down the street...

Police Chief Sawyer Collins always does the right thing, even when it costs him everything. Like Evie. He's spent the past ten years trying to forget her--to forget how right she felt in his arms, to forget the pain in her eyes the day she left. The last thing he expects is to see her back in town or to find that the spark between them is as strong as ever. Sawyer knows this is his only chance to prove that his feelings have always been real... before Eve turns tail and leaves for good.
4 Stars - I recommend if you enjoy contemporary romance, this is a bit Hallmark-y but steamier.

You know that Taylor Swift song It's Nice to Have a Friend? I love it, it's just so cute. Evie and Sawyer remind me of the people in the song. They grew up together, they did everything together, and they grew into more. The second chance romance isn't usually my favorite, but the familiar trope of a woman moving back to a small town she doesn't want to be in, and getting sucked in is one that I really enjoy. So the pairing of the two worked well for me. I loved the town of Moonflower Bay. I loved the quirkiness, the characters, the traditions, the lake, etc. I liked that the older residents of the town were conspiring to match make the younger folks. That was really cute, and honestly it would have been fun to see a little bit more of it! I thought that this book had a nice mix of serious and funny, and was overall pretty darn fun. I would have liked some more flashbacks to when they were kids, just to round out more of their history. I loved the family aspect with Sawyer's sister Clara and their found family with their friends. It will be fun to read more books in this series and see what happens with Jake, Law, Maya and the matchmakers. I loved the bromance between the guys so much. So many little things about this book appeal to me as well, I LOVE mermaids and moon flowers, so all of the symbolism and traditions related to those were so much fun to me. If you enjoy Hallmark-y small town plots with a bit more steam, and some quirkiness along the way I think you'll enjoy this fun summer read.
Sweet and sassy small town second chance romance. Jenny Holiday has written a enchanting entertaining story with a little mermaid vibe. Eve returns to Moonflower Bay after being away for 10 years. Her beloved aunt has left Eve her inn. Eve’s plan is to sell and get out of town as quickly as possible. But her aunt had other plans, Eve cannot sell the inn until after a year. And this is a problem because Eve absolutely does not want to run into her ex boyfriend Sawyer. I know you probably know where this is going. But this was so much more than the HEA it was the delightful journey getting there.

Loved everything about this engaging story. The characters especially the main characters Eve and Sawyer were lovable and relatable. Their friends were fantastic and added so much to the story. And I would be remiss if I did not mention the determined yet delightful group of senior citizen matchmakers. This is a book that made me smile and laugh, definitely looking forward to the next book in this small town cozy romance series.

This book in emojis  🧜🏻‍♀️ 🏖 🧜🏼‍♂️ 🛶 🏊‍♀️ 📚 🚨 👩‍❤️‍💋‍👨

*** Big thank you to Forever for my gifted copy of this book. All opinions are my own. ***
Thank you for the advanced copy of this book.  My reviews can be read on my GoodReads account here: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1335387-kelly
Received in exchange for a honest review

So I had some issues with Eve. they were small issues but they were there. Eve is a smart, nice person but her grudge on Sawyer lasted a wee bit to long. And letting that get in the way of coming to see her aunt was all kinds of wrong. Not only that she never really, in all those years, thought about what he was going through at that time. It was her feelings only. Never in all those years did it occur to her that maybe something was going on. Since she had left, she became a successful librarian and is going for a promotion. I understand that coming back to Matchmaker Bay is difficult I do especially under the circumstances but she carried it a wee bit far with her Sawyer issue. I love that she was there for Sawyer’s sister. I love she is there for her friends and sees what Matchmaker bay is all about and faces her past and feelings.

Sawyer is a great guy. He doesn’t see himself as one that is worth much though. He had a rough childhood and raised his sister on his own. He let go of many dreams so he could raise his sister and he became a sweet, kind man. Very protective of his sister and his town. He is fair and honest and has worked hard to get where he is. His sister is older and he is soon to be on his own but he is not dwelling on it. when Eve comes back to town, he teases her and is kind to her even when she is not so nice. He helps her and tries to get her to see he isn’t a bad person. At first she only sees the high school moment but over time she sees the Sawyer that is in front of her. the kind, caring sweet man. Eve does keep trying to remind herself of her heartache. Am I glad he wore her down? Yes but I also think she held the grudge longer than necessary.

The attraction between them is tension filled and sizzles. The banter at first is a little stunted due to Eve’s feelings but still good. Watching them both struggle with things shows they are real and not perfect. Sawyer struggles with feeling like he isn’t worth it and with his sister leaving for college. Eve with where she belongs and her past. Together they help each other heal and find their way to one another and to seeing who they are meant to be.  I love the friendships Sawyer has and how close they are and are there for each other no matter what. I love how the town has always been there for Sawyer and are there for one another. such a great story .

The story as a whole is fun, entertaining and sweet.
This was cute and fun and charming. It reminded me (in the best way) of the Christmas/holiday romantic movies that Netflix has been releasing the past few years. It took me a while to get through, in part because it's over 400 pages, in part because of life events.

The witty banter was on point.
Lately I’ve been super into small town romances and if they’re part of a series I’m allllll in. I love cute and quaint little fictional towns and a cast of quirky secondary characters that I can get to know over time, plus a new budding romance with each installment? Yes please! On the surface this book had everything I’ve been about lately but it in the end I found it to be lacking.

This started out really strong for me, I really liked both Evie and Sawyer and the opening chapter was both funny and charming and really set a great tone for the story. Second chance romances are one of my favorite tropes and Evie and Sawyer’s backstory was sweet. Really there was plenty to like here for me but my one gripe was that it just felt a bit too long. Parts from the middle to the last quarter dragged on a bit and for something that felt long for me, I wanted more depth. Look, I knew going into this that I would be reading a predictable book, I’m totally ok with that, in fact it was what I was in the mood for, but there was something missing for me in the end that made this one just ok for me instead of a good, solid game book. I did like it enough that I plan to continue on with the series though, the author is a good writer and I’m curious to see where things go. I know beginning a new series sometimes requires setting the stage a bit so I’m definitely willing to give this another chance, I’m hopeful that the next book will win me over and make me a firm fan.
3.5 Stars

Sweet, small town romances with second chances may just be my crack.  I love reading these, maybe because it’s night and day different from anything I’ve known. 🙂 But I was really looking forward to this book.  Our heroine’s aunt dies and leaves her an inn back in the small town she used to spend her summers at.  All that stopped when a boy broke her heart and she didn’t come back since.  Now she has renovations to do and planning before selling it and that puts her right in the path of the now Police Chief and old flame. Of course with the help of the old meddling folks of the town.

That last part right there is what I enjoyed the most about this book.  I love seeing the situations our main characters were being thrown into together because of other people trying to get them back together.  The romance was pretty laid back, which also makes it a great beach read.  However, I think it was missing sizzle and spark.  I wasn’t a big fan of the past issue that forced them apart.

If you like books with quirky lovable characters and fun towns with some adorable traditions, you’ll enjoy this one.  It has all the small town charm you can hope for.
MERMAID INN is a slow-burn second chance romance centering on Evie and Sawyer. When Evie’s great-aunt passes away and leaves Evie her inn, it forces Evie to take a break from her life in the city. She moves to the quiet beach town of Moonflower Bay with a goal of fixing up the inn, putting it on the market, and heading back to her job in Toronto. While she spent her summers in Moonflower Bay as a young girl and teenager, she hasn’t been back since her childhood sweetheart, Sawyer, unexpectedly and quite publicly broke her heart.

Their reunion definitely has some bumps. Sawyer has to confront his demons from the past (and present) when Evie shows back up in town. And Evie was guarded, as she was understandably upset by what had happened in the past. I particularly liked learning more about Sawyer’s backstory and how that shaped his choices not only as a teenager but as an adult, too.

While this one didn’t blow me away, it was still an enjoyable read. The beginning was a little slow for me, so I skimmed a bit, but once stuff started happening, the story moved at a quicker pace. I am interested in a couple of the side characters’s stories, so I’ll definitely be picking up more in the series.
If you're a fan of Gilmore Girls, read all of Jenny Holiday's books! I loved the Mermaid Inn. Perfect for an enjoyable afternoon of reading.

Many thanks to NetGalley, the author, and the publisher for my ARC. All opinions are my own.
Mermaid Inn 🧜🏻‍♀️

First off, this book had Harry Potter references in the first chapter so you knowwww I was going to be in love from the start!
A huge shout out to my friends over at @readforeverpud for an e-copy of this new release! #partner

I have a feeling this year is going to be the year of highly rated MMP and this one did not disappoint! I love a good second chance romance and this one was fast paced and so so sweet. One of my favorite things about MMP books is how quickly I can read them and I was able to read this one in two days!
Unfortunatelyyyyy I felt like this one ended too soon! I did not want these characters stories to end!
Thanks again @readforeverpub for the copy!

#bookstagram #bookstagrammer #bookworm #bookblogger  #booklover #bookobsessed #books #booksbooksbooks #bibliophile #currentlyreading #reading #bookaddict  #toberead #readingchallenge #bookspark #bookshark #tbr #spiveys📚club  #arc #booksofig #reviewsneedlovetoo #notjustaprettybook #mermaidinn #foreverpub
Jenny Holiday consistently writes books that tug at my heart strings, make me laugh out loud, and make me fall in love over and over again. Mermaid Inn is no exception. I really liked the characters, the conflicts, and the setting. Holiday is a Canadian author who is unafraid of setting her stories in Canada, and refuses to hide the little Canadianisms that help make the story authentically Canadian. All in all, a joy to read
This was a really fun book. I loved all the mermaid references, and I got seriously hit in the feels with all the delicious second-chance goodness! Some parts I felt were a little slow pacing-wise, but I really enjoyed this sweet love story
I truly enjoyed this book, with it's easy read, small town romance.  Or main character is left an Inn with one drawback.  She can't sell it for a year.  She also has to try to avoid a guy that hurt her as a tender teenager.  If you like friendship and young love, this is the book for you.  There is no drama, which allows you to read this and totally relax.  Thanks to Net Galley for giving me the chance to read this very enjoyable book.
DNF at 70%. Sadly, I found myself dreading picking up this book, I wasn't connecting with the writing style, my brain was having a hard time with the time jumps from chapter to chapter. I might try again when I can handle it.
I discovered Jenny Holiday through her swoony Bridesmaids Behaving Badly series in 2018. She's become an auto-read author for me ever since and there's really never a moment when I'm not excited for a new book from her. With Mermaid Inn, Jenny Holiday brings her romance to a small town. It's a charming story with plenty of light-hearted moments and as always, tons of witty dialogues. I love a good small-town romance with nosy meddling neighbors and tight-knit communities and the author definitely delivers with this new series.

Particularly memorable were the friendships in Mermaid Inn that left me with a permanent grin on my face. Yes, I love a good romance but give me a million scenes of friends being all lovely and supportive of each other and I could not care less if the romance is terrible. Fret not though, the romance in Mermaid Inn is the opposite of terrible. It featured one of my favorite tropes - the second chance romance - and Jenny Holiday tackled it well. With a lot of second chance romances, there's a risk that the reason the couple broke up in the first place isn't all that believable. That wasn't the case here and I understood where both Evie and Sawyer were coming from. It also helped that they were genuinely likable characters. Evie was smart, stubborn, and very goal-oriented. I think a lot of readers will relate to her with her love for libraries (she's a librarian) and mermaids! Being back in Moonflower Bay brought back all sorts of memories for her, happy and sad, and it was a really sweet journey watching her learn to find herself again in her cherished childhood town. Evie did not expect to rekindle her connection with her childhood sweetheart, but with the way fate kept bringing them back together, it was inevitable. I loved Sawyer - he was honorable, kind, and his pure love for his younger sister just about melted me. Evie and Sawyer's second chance at love was a slow-burn one that really relied on building trust between each other again. I loved how they communicated with each other and the chemistry they shared was palpable. It's safe to say that it didn't take much to convince me that these two were meant for each other and they desperately needed that happily-ever-after. :)

Mermaid Inn was an all-around lovely read for me and I look forward to being back in Moonflower Bay and reading how all the other side characters find their happily-ever-afters.
mermaid inn was a highly anticipated book for me. i wanted to love it, but i just couldn't get into this one like i hoped. maybe i should have waited for summer.
This book was a lot of fun and highly entertaining. My favorite was the fact that it was based in Canada! Even better, close to Toronto (my hometown). I did have a few issues with the story. I didn't absolutely love the characters, I especially found Eve a little bit annoying.

I did enjoy the very slow burn aspect to this second chance romance and I adored the town and cannot wait to read about more about this town and the characters that live there.
Mermaid Inn was one of the books that I've been looking forward to reading the most the past couple of months. I adored Jenny Holiday's Bridesmaids Behaving Badly series in 2018/2019. She's definitely an author that you should keep an eye on if you're a fan of romantic comedy. Her books have a slight sizzle to them with witty banter and characters that are easy to fall in love with. Going into Mermaid Inn, I was hoping for the same romance I loved. In a weird way, it felt like Mermaid Inn had a different vibe than Holiday's previous series. It had the banter and the lovable characters I adore. It was also sizzling in it's own way. What I think made this book feel different from others was the amount of time that passed, which I enjoyed but it also made the book feel just a tad long.

Setting: The best element of Jenny's books is that they take place in Canada. So fun! Mermaid Inn is a small town romance. Yes, please!

Characters: Sawyer and Eve were adorable. Their small group of friends were fan-freaking-tastic, especially Maya and Law. My favorite part was the friendship and bond that held the friends together.

Writing Style: I love romantic comedy so I think it was inevitable that I would fall in love with her writing. What can I say? She makes me giggle.

I had been waiting so long for Mermaid Inn and Jenny didn't disappoint. With all that said, I enjoyed Mermaid Inn so much it inspired me to crochet a mermaid. More on her in the week!