Cover Image: Collision of Lies

Collision of Lies

Collision Of Lies by Tom Threadgill is a book you are not going to want to put down until the last page is read. It has page turning suspense and if you are like me and like to read at night, be prepared for lack of sleep!

Several years ago there was a tragic accident between a freight train and a school bus. All the children on the school bus were killed. There is one mom who refuses to believe her child perished and after a strange phone call she seeks the help of law enforcement. Amara agrees to look into it even though she believes all the children died in the crash. It doesn't take long that she starts to think otherwise, but how is she going to convince everyone else that the boy is still alive when all evidence points to the opposite. Could it be that the whole collision was based on lies? Are the other children alive as well? Amara is determined to find the answers. No matter the cost.

This book was the first I've read by author Tom Threadgill and he made me a fan! It has everything I like in a good suspense novel. The element of surprise with plenty of twists and turns, well developed characters and suspense that keeps you guessing. I can usually tell if I will like a suspense novel if the first chapter captivates me. That's exactly what this book did. If you love suspense novels, I encourage you to read this one. You're sure to love it!

***Thanks to Revell for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
This is a new author for me. His book is well written with lots of mystery, Suspense and surprise. When Amara is faced to check facts she believed were true she uncovers things that are questionable. Amara and her team must fight to keep their investigation a secret, yet unveil the truth in time.
This was the first book that I read by this author...hopefully, not the last.  I loved his story telling ability, his creative writing and the development of his characters.  The plot was twisty, suspenseful and highly enjoyable.  Five stars.
NO SPOILERS HERE! 😀
I really love a good mystery! One with lots of suspense and action, but also that is clean. I really hate reading books with foul language. This book, “Collision of Lies” by Tom Threadgill was great. It had lots of action and I really enjoyed the characters. It was interesting all the way through, so it was an easy read. Some books are hard to get through, but this book left you wanting more. I really enjoyed it. 🙂

About the Author
Tom Threadgill is a full-time author and a member of American Christian Fiction Writers (ACFW). He is currently on the suspense/thriller publishing board for LPC Books, a division of Iron Stream Media. He lives with his wife in rural Tennessee.

I received a copy of this book for my review. Opinions stated in this review are 100% mine.
This book is quite the suspenseful thriller with several twists in the story that keeps the reader guessing about what’s going to happen next.  This storyline, since it involves children, is quite intense.  The characters are great, and I especially loved Amara Alvarez.  She’s smart, tenacious, tough but compassionate.  She is the heart of this story.  This is my first book to read by this author, and it won’t be my last.  I’m looking forward to reading more in this series.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher.  All opinions are my own.
Three years ago, a collision between a fast-moving freight train and a school bus full of kids led to devastation and grief on an unimaginable scale. But a fresh clue leads San Antonio police detective Amara Alvarez to the unlikely conclusion that one of the children may still be alive. If she's correct, everything law enforcement believes about the accident is a lie.

With time running out, Amara must convince others--and herself--that despite all evidence to the contrary, the boy lives. And she will do everything in her power to bring him home.

Amara Alvarez is a police detective in the burglary division of the San Antonio Property Crimes Division.  She would like nothing better than to be moved over to homicide.  She gets her chance when someone tells her their son did not die in a school bus accident that happened three years ago.
At first she has trouble believing it, then as she starts digging deeper odd things start showing up.

This is a suspenseful book.  I am more used to reading high action type books.  This book was more procedural.  Even without the high action I didn't want to put it down.  I have never read any books by Tom Threadgill before. I will look for his books from now on.  This book was sold by a Christian publisher.  There were no religious talk in this book.  There were no foul words or sex scenes at all.   Very clean.  I recommend this book to all mystery readers.

I was given this book by Revell Publishing via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  I was not compensated in any way.
I have never read anything by this author so I didn't know what to expect. I will start off by saying over all the story was good, there is no romance in this book at all the author hints at it throughout but I just was not ever part of the storyline as a whole ever. I did however felt like the book was wordy and some things I could have gone without. I will say the story will keep you guessing and leave you wondering who else is involved. This author does keep this story a clean read so it would be suitable for all. There are some tough issues that may not be ok with some but over all a very suspenseful book.
It’s hard not to be intrigued by a police detective who has an Iguana as a pet. Right away we know Amara Alvarez is not going to be a stereotypical cop, and she isn’t. Then there’s Dr. Pritcchard, the ME, who eats Cheetos with chopsticks so he doesn’t get the orange powder all over his hands.

Added pleasure in reading the book was the descriptions that captured a moment perfectly. As Amara is watching video from a security camera, she notes that people “scurried to and fro like ants that had stumbled into a puddle of an energy drink.”

When trying to decide if she will consider a double-date that the Texas Ranger, Sara proposes, Amara hesitates, thinking about the homicide detective who is easy on the eyes. But it’s apparent that there’s something in her past that makes her reluctant to dive into dating. She says, “I don’t know. Larry’s the jealous type.”

To which Sara responds, “Yeah, well, until he starts buying your dinner, I say keep looking.”

Larry is the Iguana.

In addition to the wonderful cast of characters, I appreciated that the author didn’t spend a lot of time setting each one up and giving tons of backstory in one big info dump. We learn what we need to know as the story progresses, and some mysteries in the backstory help to hold the reader’s attention. For instance, an ongoing tease in the story is why the homicide detective is called Starsky. Amara is as intrigued by that secret as much as she is about the man himself.

The mystery plays out in an intricate plot centered on a train accident in the town of Cotulla in which a busload of children were killed. But were they? That’s the question that haunts Amara after a mother of one of the children comes in to the station to report that they have received a text message from their son. From that simple beginning, comes a tale of conspiracy and an extensive cover up of what really happened and why.

I highly recommend this book to those who love a good, complicated mystery with a wonderful protagonist.
I received this as a preview from NetGalley.
This book really caught my attention from the very beginning. I liked the characters and the mystery. I did get a little lost in the middle during the scientific discussion but it picked right back up afterwards.
I will definitely recommend this book to our library patrons. Can't wait for the next one in the series!
This was the first book I have ever read by Tom Threadgill and it definitely will not be my last.  This had many twists and turns throughout the book.  I cried a lot while reading this story.  I really loved the characters.  Amara was great and I hope there might be more books featuring her.  I love a good cop story and this was fantastic.  I received a copy of this book from Revell for a fair and honest opinion that I gave of my own free will.
Good storytelling but a not very believable story. The motive for the outraging crime isn't clear enough and the suspense isn't high enough. Good storytelling but a not very believable story. The motive for the outraging crime isn't clear enough and the suspense isn't high enough.
This is a new to me author and I enjoyed the story.  It was really fast moving and made you really think as it continued as to what was being discovered and how it related to the collision several years ago.  Amara had to do all she could when she found out some new information about the crash and how to act on it on a way that bring about the best results.
     I received a copy of the book to read, the review is mine.
After three long years, a mysterious text is sent to a grieving mother whose son supposedly died in a horrible bus/train crash.  The mother reaches out to the police and is told it's all a hoax, and her son is really dead.  But one detective in Property Crimes is bored with her job and this case grabs her heart.  As she begins to dig into the case, she finds inconsistencies that won't leave her alone.   She ends up blowing the case wide open and the whole alphabet soup of agencies come  to help.  The reason for the wreck isn't immediately known.  But the reader is soon given a hint of the cause, but that reason is soon debunked, and it turns into something more sinister.  The ending isn't totally all roses, but it does have its redeeming value.
This new-to-me author definitely wrote a suspense-filled novel that I won't soon forget, and I look forward to reading more of his work.

Three years ago there was a train-school bus collison in a small Texas town that left all of those involved dead.  Now Marisa Reyes has received a cryptic text that says "Help me Mom." from her dead son.  Burglary officer, Amara Alvarez, hears Marisa crying and arguing with her husband when Amara stops at her local breakfast diner.  Little does Amara know that this incident will lead her into a murder investigation that becomes stranger and stranger.

This novel had so many twists and turns involving forensics, burials, exhumations, and continuing into Mexico.  But I loved every second of it.  Threadgill's criminal research was excellent in so many different areas.  The main characters were realistic and believable.  The suspense was constant, and the events very current in their feel.  The inter-agency connections to solve this case gave excellent insight into how this works.  For those who prefer straight suspense rather than romantic suspense, this book would be perfect.

After finishing, all I could think was that I respect and honor those who serve in homocide, morgues, and computer analysis for the difficult job they have to do when terror strikes and deaths result.

**I received a complimentary copy of this book  from Revell Publishing through NetGalley.  Opinions are mine alone. I was not compensated for this review.
A definite first for me by this author! I've never read anything by him before and I think I like him.
In fact, I know I do! This author will give you the ride of a lifetime along with mystery, twists and turns throughout the story.
I loved this action packed story and this is another one that you won't want to put down until you finish and plus, you'll be thinking about the characters long after the book is finished.
This story y'all! Just totally fantastic and a wowzers!
I spent the whole night just to finish it because it was just that good. Yes, I lost some sleep over it but it was well worth the read. Especially if you like suspense!
Amara is a cool detective.  I really enjoyed "watching" her in action. I was rooting for her the whole time!
The supporting characters were awesome too!
I hope there's a sequel because I feel that there is more to the story than the author is letting on!
I highly recommend this book because it's just that exciting! There wasn't nothing that I didn't like about the book.
I also just wanted to mention that this story kind of reminded me of the Carroltin bus crash that happened here in Kentucky many years ago. It was a fiery crash and there were some kids that did die in it.
Every now and then it pops up on the news.
It was caused by a drunk driver.  It was so sad. I think it happened in the early or mid 80's. I know it was shortly after I moved here to Kentucky.
My thanks to Baker Publishing/Revell. I was NOT required to write a positive review. All opinions are my own.
I enjoyed Threadgill's novel. It is a cold case mystery with an unusual premise. Three years ago a school bus was hit by a train. All the children died. Or did they? One of the parents has received a message supposedly from her child. Amara, a San Antonio police detective decides to pursue the possibility.

The plot is complex. It takes quite a bit to convince Amara, and us, that there is a possibility the children are alive. If that's the case, then there is the complex problem of how the accident was set up, who the unrecognizable bodies in the bus were, where might the living children be now, and how could Amara possibly retrieve them? All these questions are methodically dealt with in the novel. What I thought was an unreasonable plot turned out to be explainable, although I am not sure I understand all the science explanation. One of my pet peeves is an ending where the cavalry comes over the hill to save the lone cowboy. Well, I got a little peeved with this book.

The character development was good. I am always a bit leery when a male author has a female heroine. I did like Amara although my favorite character was the medical examiner with such a quirky personality.

Unfortunately, the Christian aspect of the novel is lacking, even though it was published by a “Christian” publisher.

This is the first in a new series by Threadgill and I enjoyed this one enough that I'll be watching for the next in the series.

I received a complimentary egalley of this book from the publisher. My comments are an independent and honest review.
“Collision of Lies” by Tom Threadgill was certainly an action-packed novel of intrigue and suspense.  This story begins with a closed case in which a school bus and a train crashed causing seventeen children, the driver and the two engineers were killed.  It was designated as a tragic accident.  Three years after the accident a San Antonio police received a plea from a woman whose son was killed on that bus.  She positively believed that her son was alive and had texted her saying, “Mom, help me.”  One detective took her story to heart and delved into the cold case, trying to determine if the tragedy was truly an accident.

I was totally engrossed in both the characters and the storyline of the novel as the detective called in markers and enticed other members of the department to look into the case again.  No one could determine what else could have happened.  When DNA testing disclosed that mistakes had been made in the identification of the dead, the case took on a greater interest.  This also held my undivided interest until the reason for the “non-accident” was presented.  I truly enjoy mysteries and police procedurals, but this sort of transformed into a sci-fi story.  I could not accept the reason that people were killed and kidnapped and that deterred me from giving this novel five stars.  Yes, I was totally engrossed, but I still couldn’t wrap my head around the solving of the crime and the end of the story.  I will indeed read more of Mr. Threadgill’s novels unless I find the same scenario in his other writings.
I have not read anything by Tom Threadgill until I got my hands-on Collision of Lies. Oh, my goodness, this book had me hooked from the page one. I could not put it down until I was finished with the very last page. It is an action-packed thrill of a ride. It is full of mystery and suspense with lots of twists that I did not see coming. I loved this book!
I am giving Collision of Lies five plus stars. I would love to catch up with the other books by Tom Threadgill in the future. Readers who enjoy a fast paced suspense filled book.
I received this book from the publisher. This review is 100% my own honest opinion.
"Power and money. Everybody wants them. But if you've already got them, there's something far more important."

Collision of Lies by Tom Threadgill will keep you on the edge of your seat, reading at a breakneck speed and hungry for more. The author has certainly mastered the ability of duality in this high-tense drama. Collision of Lies is humorous and serious, slow and fast, expertly mixing the mundane with the thrilling until everything swirls together into a story that is both haunting and exciting. Local cop drama plus international intrigue equals one incredible story.

Detective Amara Alvarez, with the San Antonio Police Department, Property Crimes Division, is ready to transfer to homicide, and the waiting is excruciating. A chance encounter at her favorite diner one morning sets off a chain of events that will test her detective abilities and her resolve to do whatever necessary to unearth the truth on a case that was solved and closed with absolutely no hint at anything more sinister than a suicidal bus driver. Nothing about Collision of Lies is ordinary or stale. The plot is unique, the characters are painted with an extremely colorful brush (including a pet iguana named Larry), and the twists and surprises will keep you riveted. No dramatic irony here because the reader finds out everything bit by bit right along with the main characters.

Even though the clues take their sweet time drifting in, the plot remains thoroughly engaging and fast paced, with a sense of urgency and bewilderment building to a fever pitch. What exactly happened on that fateful day three years ago in Cotulla, Texas, when a freight train slammed into a school bus full of children?

Tom Threadgill delivers a story so outlandish and so intricate that you can't help but fall headlong into it and come up believing that it could all really happen, and on an international stage no less. If that sounds cryptic, then good. Racing through the pages to discover the truth alongside Detective Alvarez and all the others must be experienced and fully appreciated firsthand. The entertainment level is off the charts in Collision of Lies, and great news! This is just book one.

I received a free copy of this book from Lone Star Book Blog Tours in exchange for my honest review.
This year is churning out remarkable reading experiences, and this latest read is by far one of my favorites!

With an opening chapter that grabs hold of you and doesn't let go until its very contemplative ending, this book will take you on a ride unlike any other. It's hard for me to believe that my reflections on this story will adequately give it the justice it so deeply deserves. There is so much to unpack, but as with any thriller or mystery, it's best to go into it with as little information as possible in order to feel the complete impact this book has to offer. However, with every ounce of bias I have, let's just say that I was blown away!

"I feel like this whole thing is right there on the fringes. Like some great conspiracy that's got just enough semi-facts to make it plausible, but not enough to make it believable."

Masterfully told, this intricate plot posits the idea that perhaps the most tragic accident the town of Cotulla ever experienced may have in fact been a lie. Three years after those catastrophic events, a victim's family receives an unknown text simply stating "Help me, Mom." What initially begins as a quiet, internal examination into a potentially bad prank gradually unleashes a torrent of law enforcement expertise to unveil an extensive cover up. With immense compassion and the right amount of curiosity, detective Amara Alvarez solidifies her footprint among other great female investigators in the suspense genre. This story is smart, perceptive, riveting, fast paced, and incredibly hard to put down. Short, suspense filled chapters keep the pace moving at breakneck speed and the pages flying!

Readers follow Amara in this spectacular view of the criminal investigation as well as bearing witness in her pursuit towards becoming a homicide detective, a vastly different line of work than her current assignment in property crimes. All along the way, we see how committed she is to her profession and the proficiency she displays that will continue to make her successful. This opportunity to watch the case unfold alongside Amara is captivating to read and will tug at every emotion. There is a sneak peek into the next book of the series, which I CANNOT wait for now! Especially to see more of the ME, Dr. Pritchard, an eccentric individual with an affinity for explaining idioms and developing creative methods to enjoy annoyingly messy snacks. Every character has a personality, and it will be hard not to enjoy every minute of their company.

Though the book is published by a Christian fiction publisher, the story will have you reevaluating any preconceived notions you might have had about that label. In an author interview for a previous post on the blog tour, which you can check out HERE, the author states that while his faith dictates how he will write, it doesn't include a heavy dose of religion: "I'm writing to entertain, not convert, and trying to be true to what I believe." In his hands, the author's deft storytelling has crafted a narrative to rival the more mainstream bestsellers without graphic language, sex, or violence.

This book delivers thrilling suspense and action that keeps coming to the very end and should not be missed!