Cover Image: What the Other Three Don't Know

What the Other Three Don't Know

This was a fun read about a group of teens that appear to have nothing in common, but are able to find connections during their forced togetherness. It is also about learning what you are capable of, but also about never fully realizing what anyone else is going through. This is a great read for teens .
I am such a sucker for romance stories, stories with mental health advocacy, a survivalist story, and someneitty banter.

This book had all of that, but even with all of those components it fell a tad flat for me.

The romance was rushed, the plot wasnt the strongest, and at times it was hard to want to keep going.

I hate to say that because I know this is the life work of someone who put in great effort to create it. I do recognize though that it is my ability as a reader to be honest about my feelings about a book. Ultimately this one wasnt for.

Thank you Shadow Mountain and Netgalley for the opportunity to read this. All opinions are my own.
The idea was nice, and the characters likeable. It just didn't have the strongest plot and I skimmed through quite a bit of it.
The premise of this story was fantastic! The characters were so unique and distinct, and I loved their development throughout the story. They're relatable, well-written, and incredibly realistic -- Hyde definitely knows how to convey the teenage experience in a successful way!

The river puns were also so, so great. I'm a sucker for all things punny, and this story was filled with so many wise-cracking river jokes... it was amazing :)

The pacing seemed a little off -- the romance progressed *slightly* too quickly, in my opinion, and I found the beginning a little hard to get into -- but once the story got going, I was hooked.

Plus, the mental health representation was so well done in this story; kudos to Hyde for portraying it in such a poignant, successful way!
Thanks NetGalley for the preview!

I loved the idea of this story and the characters.  I felt the story was a little rushed but it gave the frantic emergency vibe.  I loved the detail and authenticity of each student and their backstory.  I liked the closure the trip allowed for Indie but felt very sad she lost her mother's ring.  I would have loved to see more about the kids once the trip ended.  Maybe a quick jump into the future at the end of the book would have satisfied this but I would also read a sequel!
Y'all know I love a romance, but the one here really fell flat for me and felt unnecessary. I loved the premise for this story, but the execution didn't really work in the end. It's your typical "characters from different cliques" put together and forced to interact, but there's nothing particularly special about it.
Thank you Netgalley for the chance to read and review this title. I will review this title at a different date.
DIdn't realize it was YA when I began to read.  Story was not what I expected, and although I've read other YA I liked this one was not exactly for me.  Appreciate the opportunity to access and read.  Just not for me.
So good! The story telling is a great pace and easy to keep up with. I was engrossed from the very beginning.
What the Other Three Don’t Know follows four teenagers on a school assigned rafting trip who bond over a journey of self-acceptance. Readers follow protagonist Indie on her trek to face her fears of rafting the same waters in which her mother died. Joined by an unlikely grouping of an Instagram influencer, a popular jock with a recent disability, and neighbor with a fear of coming out as gay, the four tackle their fears together on this risky journey.

Spencer Hyde’s novel explores themes that most teenagers can relate to at this ever-changing time in their lives. Grief, anxiety, and many other forms of mental health issues are addressed in authentic ways that give readers something to relate to. On top of all of this, these teenagers have to handle the social pressures of feeling the need to fit in and be accepted. All of these topics are integrated seamlessly into the plot, creating an enthralling and emotional story. This novel had me continuously guessing at the secrets the other characters kept in their efforts to maintain a socially acceptable facade, and once they came down, all of the individual pieces of the narrative finally came together.
A heart wrenching ya story about friendship and opening your heart forgiveness and acceptance very emotional and hard hitting but also beautifully written this will suck you in and take you on a journey that will make you think about your own life and the joy of friendship
omg this was amazing! I loved the dynamics between the characters and I loved watching their relationships grow!! Thank you so much for the opportunity to review this book! 5/5 stars!
Thank you for the eArc but sadly this book was not for me. I really loved the idea of this book and the mental health rep and I loved hearing what the author had to say but I just couldn't connect with the characters sadly and I just wasn't wanting to pick this book back up. I really wanted to love What The Other Three Don't Know, and thought it was going to be a perfect book for me. I just wasn't gripped and kept stopping and starting and it just wasn't right for me at this time. Please do give this book a chance though as other people really enjoyed it, and it's just my opinion.
This book was about average. The beginning was honestly a little rocky in getting to know the characters. There was a bit too much of "I'm not like the other girls" at first, and the romance started very early (which seems a little unrealistic to me but I guess I wouldn't know much about flirting/getting together). It was also quite a bit of telling and not showing at the beginning, but it didn't bug me later on. But I also found the characters' hatred of each other to be unrealistic. Maybe I just haven't witnessed it, but people can't really be that cutthroat, could they? I don't know, maybe it would have been more believable to me if the dynamics were on a screen or something.
In general, there were some interesting parts/talks in the book, but quite a bit of it was a little boring. There wasn't a concrete plot so there wasn't a direction for the story to go, which isn't bad at all but it's more of a personal preference. I'm a fan of more action-packed books with a plot-driven story, and this book just wasn't that. Not that it was a bad book by any means, but just not one that I would have usually picked up.
First off, I never want to go white- water rafting, especially after reading this book. That's just one big nope from me. Second, this book is good. Really good.

Each person on the trip had their own secrets, their own personal torment that they were trying to figure out how to deal with. Like typical teenagers, they postured and did their best to not let anyone else see their vulnerable side. I really appreciated getting a front-row seat to watching their relationships develop and grow. The saying goes  "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." Well, these 4 teenagers turned out to be some pretty strong individuals.

Small side note, there are some "Bible swears" sprinkled throughout the story, but other than that, it's a clean read.
The premise is a familiar one: a grieving teen who learns to deal with her issues through a survival situation. It also has definite Breakfast Club elements with teens from different social circles thrown together, getting to know each other and their secrets. It goes all of the places one would expect, resolves exactly as you would expect.
What the Other Three Don't Know, for me, was a book that had a lot of good things. But the overall execution was not one of those.

More than anything - I've heard this story before. We have a Breakfast Club-esque group of teenagers who are thrown together in an unwanted situation. In this case, a white water rafting trip. They are all dealing with secrets and as they realize they aren't all as horrible as they once thought, they open up and begin to accept each other.

Don't get me wrong. The representation is good. I don't know the last time I read a book featuring a character with alopecia, for example. But there was a real lack of depth to these diversities that were the core of the story. I felt as though we only got the surface of what the different circumstances each teen shared within the story.

In addition, the dialogue was... something. It becomes a feature in the story that the MC has a love of vocabulary and crossword puzzles. While this is a nice quirk, the over-the-top dialogue that results from this is just silly. Kids don't speak like a crossword hint. They just don't.

Overall, this book just didn't add anything to the conversation of diversity. It tried. But it did not execute. A nice enough read, but there are better recommendations out there that share a similar story, in my honest opinion.
Thank you to Netgalley and Shadow Mountain Publishing House for giving me an arc of What the Other Three Don't Know!

I was really looking forward to this novel, but I think I have come to the conclusion that it wasn't meant for me. This book had an intelligent way of exploring the adventure the characters went on, but I simply felt it flying right over my head.

The book required a lot of knowledge about these adventures the characters too as it left me, someone who was unknowledgeable about fly-fishing and other aspects a bit lost like I was just missing a part of the book.

The book also heavily focuses on the idea of basically "not judging a book by its cover," but a few times it became a bit overdone. There were also a few lines surrounding this idea that just did sit well with me. There is also a lot of good representation in this book including LGBTQ+.

One last thing, to leave my review on a positive note was I loved Spencer Hyde's writing style as well as all of the metaphors, wordplay, personification, and symbols found throughout this book.

I don't think camping or adventure stories are much for me, but I really recommend this to anyone who enjoys that type of story!
"What the Other Three Don't Know", by Spencer Hyde, is based on an interesting premise: a group of seniors go on a senior trip, trekking through the forest. Along the way, they must learn to overcome their differences and get along. While this book was based on an interesting premise, the characters were highly unlikely and I lost interest in their journey. I had high hopes for this book but was, unfortunately, unable to finish it.

Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC. All opinions are my own.
I found this book pretty unsettling. It deals with friendship and each of them have their secrets. The romance did not work for me. Neither did the story line seem pretty engaging. I struggled to finish this book.