Where Have All the Elves Gone?

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 16 Jan 2020

I'm really sorry, I just found this book impossible to get into.
I struggled and tried to read, but found myself back pedalling and not being pulled into the story.

Apologies but I have not finished reading this book and don't anticipate doing so.
The answer is simple - nowhere. They are all still here - just hiding in plain sight. Which is always the best way to hide. Except that the Government knows about them and even has contracts and treaties with them.
This was a fun book in that it was basically an RPG with an extra side of plotting within plotting. Christian Warren Freed puts himself into the game as the  author Daniel writing about Elves in high fantasy novels who becomes embroiled by accident in the elves’ plots, along with his family especially his wife, who shows herself up in an excellent light and clearly is going to become a feisty warrior when the series continues. Which I am sure it will.
I felt very sorry for the dragon. He should be out and about flying as an UFO over Area 51 - I felt the same in Game of Thrones with the 2 chained up in the dungeons. No wonder they are unhappy and angry at humans.
I am not really an RPG person so I found the battles just a few too many for me, I would have preferred some subtlety and high treason through poison or... but it will appeal to a more bloodthirsty person than me.
To be honest I didn’t really enjoy this book.  It started off really good and I was getting really into it, but then it just lost me completely and I got bored.

Sorry - my thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the copy though
I recieved a free copy via netgallery in exchange for an honest review. I enjoyed this book from start to finish. The author really created a believable world in which elves and humans existed. I wasn't a fan of the language used in this but that is a personal view. If I hadn't read the blurb looking at the cover I would not have known this was a fantasy book.
Overall a good book
An interesting and engrossing novel, well written and with an excellent world building.
I appreciated the style of writing, the fleshed out cast of characters and the plot.
I'd like to read other books by this author.
Recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
The story is set in and around Raleigh, NC, an area with which I am very familiar. As such, much of my enjoyment was in recognizing the locations and in picturing the epic fantasy-meets-reality clashes between humans, dwarves, elves, and gnomes. In particular, the zoo scenes, my adopted hometown, and the fairgrounds. It's obvious the author has done his research or is a local.

As for the fantasy, it's interesting. I always enjoy a new take on "what if" elves, dwarves, etc. are real, and in this story, that is paired with "what if" an author's stories reflect reality. Besides that, I found a few of the features of the fantasy creatures a bit too convenient, and I was getting hung up on how they were going to cover up the destruction.

Overall, worth a read. I enjoyed it because I like fantasy/reality mash ups, reluctant heroes, and action.

I received the review copy of this book from NetGalley.
Where Have All the Elves Gone?  by Christian Warren Freed -- 5 Stars
Publisher: Warfighter books
ISBN: 9781365991127

I hadn’t read a fantasy novel in some time and it was fun to get back to a story filled with elves, dwarves, and even a dragon and a gargoyle. The storyline is unique, a novelist who finds himself in the middle of a battle as dangerous and otherworldly as those he writes about. The plot is action packed and although the battles are longer than I liked, they are exciting. I loved the fantasy characters and the human ones as well. Overall, it was an entertaining and enjoyable book.

Reviewer: Nancy
This is pretty good and a new author for me. It's a little uneven and tries little too hard but includes a good amount of action and good dialog. The author has a great imagination and some talent. A good bet for fantasy fans.

I really appreciate the NetGalley copy for review!!
This book is better than I thought it would be. I thought it would be cheezy but it's really well done especially with all the fighting and battle. Discovering that there were are other races in the world is a big surprise for Daniel and his wife, when they end up fighting right in the middle of their little war but they handle it well and stay alive.  It feels a little unfinished as all the reasons why don't get told to us. #WhereHaveAllTheElvesGone #NetGalley