Lady in Waiting

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

It’s hard for me to decide how exactly to rate this book. On one hand it was very entertaining story of a life. Anne Glenconner got to rub shoulders with some of the most interesting and illustrious people or her generation. Her stories are well rounded and fun, and her writing is simple and approachable without a ton of pretense that can be found in aristocrats. Her 86 years were definitely far from boring, on the other hand, the stories of her were not exactly relatable in an equal manner. How many people out there in the world can relate to being born a daughter of a well to do earl who grew up playing with royalty and then being married to a rich eccentric (read probably bipolar) baron and living a life of travel, parties and royal fetes? It’s entertaining as hell to read about but I can’t exactly put myself in her shoes, So as a book of pure escapism, it does very well (exactly what I was looking for) but I could not relate to her life as a person. Her life struggles with her children and husband? Yes. But her stories of being sent in Princess Margaret’s stead to entertain Filipino  dictator Marcos’ wife, etc? Nope....
After finishing this remarkable memoir of Anne Glenconner, I know I would like to spend time chatting with her over a pot of tea and cookies. Having lived such a full, rich and extraordinary life, she has found a comfortable and peaceful life at 87 years old. She relates the very good all the way to the very bad that made up the tapestry of her life. Raised in the titled world of the British aristocracy in a wonderful stately home during WWII, she had the title and the nanny and the connections but money during the war was tight and rationing governed just about everything. She learned how to adapt - like her green parachute dress. That served her well throughout her life - she knew hard work, too.
The first half of the book is her life which included Princess Elizabeth and Princess Margaret. Anne's mother was Lady of the Bedchamber and Anne became a Lady in waiting to Princess Margaret. The glimpses she shows us of the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth are wonderful.
All was not a bed of roses for Anne nor Princess Margaret. Both married men who treated them badly and that was another tie that bound them together. Anne had married a man who could be a charmer one moment and the next he could explode in a screaming tantrum. All in public. She was mother to five children - six if you count her erratic husband. She held it all together.
The times were changing when Anne was born. The days of women being in the shadows of their fathers and husbands were giving way to the Swinging 60's and the turbulent 70's. Her family was not immune to the tragedies of drugs and she saw it first hand. She faced painful challenges with her sons but, with the help of Princess Margaret and their large circle of friends and family, Anne weathered it all and has come to a place in her life that most of us would want for ourselves. A life full of the love and friendship from family and friends. I hope she write more about her life because I suspect that her life isn't at all dull at 87. Two things that will stay with me  - her stories of visiting Paris (can be a very strange place to visit) and never travel without a bottle of gin.
I would love to read this book, however, the download is not working and therefore, I am unable to open it.
Lady Anne Glenconner was born into rank and privilege.  Her entire family served the King and Queens of England and served in various positions.  This book outlines her life, focusing on her friendship and status of Lady in Waiting to Princess Margaret.

This was a well written and engaging book.  The story flowed nicely and the people felt realistic.  I couldn't help thinking how wacky and entitled all of the royals and their followers acted.  Although it was hard to relate to their lavish lifestyles and outrageous antics, it was a fun and fascinating read.  Overall, highly recommended.
One definitely has to be amazed at Anne Glenconner’s stiff upper lip when it comes to dealing with adversity. Even though she was born into an aristocratic family, she certainly wasn’t pampered or coddled as a child. Besides, she was suppose to be a boy, since a male heir was needed. She speaks of that matter in a less dramatic way than Princess Diana did, however. There’s no gloominess to Lady Glenconner in this book. No self-pity.

When she finally fell in love and got engaged; to Princess Diana’s father, no less; he was told by his family to break the engagement, since insanity ran in her family. Interestingly, Anne Glenconner would then go on to marry another aristocrat who was actually mentally ill--Colin Tennant. He had a personality disorder. Or call it whatever you want, but just don’t call it eccentricity.

Lady Glenconner called it eccentricity at times, as well as using other not too serious terms. No, Colin Tennant was mentally ill. He was the type of man who made embarrassing public scenes when he didn’t get his way. He threw himself down on the floor of an airplane, screaming like a two-year-old, when they wouldn’t put him in first class. He started wailing at the opera one night for his manservant. And on and on and on.

He was very cruel to his wife at times and repeatedly cheated on her. Their honeymoon has to be one of the worst ones ever described in a memoir. Yet Lady Glenconner sings his praises in this book to no end. She likes to say she married “all” of her husband, the good and the bad. At one point, she said adultery was so common in the aristocracy that she knew of no marriage where it wasn’t happening. Really?

When Lord Tennant finally died, he left his entire estate to his manservant, the one he was wailing for at the opera. Now, THAT surprised and shocked Lady Glenconner. Really? Why? It’s not that he was a loving husband, a doting father, or someone who deeply cared and worked for others less fortunate, as did his grandmother Lady Muriel Paget.

He was a narcissistic nut case, and his presence wrecked what started off as a highly interesting memoir. Lady Glenconner gets no points for sticking up for him and staying married to him. Obviously, the most important things for aristocrats in her time was to marry another aristocrat, and to try to keep all the family money and property in the family.

(Note: I received an e-ARC of this book from Netgalley and the publisher or author.)
Only about half of this book covers her time with the royal family, the rest is about her own very interesting life. An excellent read, and not disappointing even if you only picked it up for Margaret.

I received a free e-galley from netgalley.com.
I love all things English royalty and this did not disappoint. Such a beautiful insight into what it is to be included into the royal family, good and bad. Anne Glenconner bore her soul and heart open so we could see her pain as well as her blessings. One of the best and fact filled royal memoirs out there.
Lady in Waiting by Anne Glenconner is an excellent memoir that gives the reader a glimpse into an extraordinary life.

I love anything and everything associated with England’s Royalty, and this did not disappoint. This isn’t just a book about being a Lady in Waiting to Princess Margaret, although a good bit of it is, it is also a book about a fascinating, strong, classy, intelligent, multi-talented, realistic, and imperfect woman. Anne admits her few faults, not being as hands-on of a mother to her two oldest boys as she ended up being with her three youngest, and the reader loves her even more for her admissions.

I loved reading about British aristocracy and her childhood, her turbulent marriage to an intelligent and talented, but yet eccentric and difficult man, and I was impressed at her ability to conquer the instability and find happiness amongst the chaos.

I loved reading about her travels, her friends, family, and adventures. She was able to always create a literary version of a snapshot to make me feel as if I was with her the whole time. I loved how she was able to come into her own and settle in her little piece of paradise in her home in Norfolk amongst her kids and family.

And of course, I loved to read about her decades-long friendship, connection, and working relationship with Princess Margaret. I truly feel it gave the reader another glimpse into the many positive attributes of the amazing woman Princess Margaret was in her own right. It was downright fascinating.

It was heartbreaking to read of her tragedies and her losses. No mother should ever have to go through what she did with her 3 sons. It just showed me her inner strength and determination to make the best out of everything and to come out into the sunlight at the end.

I hope she writes a second book to give us an update and further stories of the many years she has yet still to come.

5/5 stars. I loved every minute of this book.

Thank you NetGalley and Hachette Books for this stunning ARC and in return I am submitting my unbiased and voluntary review and opinion.

I am posting this review to my GR and Bookbub accounts immediately and will post it to my Amazon and B&N accounts upon publication.

Thank you!
Thank you to NetGalley for providing an eARC in exchange for an honest review!

This was a fascinating read, and the perfect book to read before watching the new season of the Crown. Lady Anne Glenconner was Princess Margaret's Lady in Waiting (as well as a Maid of Honour for the Queen), but she has also lived her own interesting and full life. I didn't know much about her before reading this, but I have so much appreciation for what Ladies-in-Waiting go through now. Anne had a somewhat difficult family life, with several of her children facing issues- she had to go through that while still serving as a Lady in Waiting. Princess Margaret was incredibly supportive throughout it, though, and it is a kind look at a princess who is often dismissed as snobby, mean, and petty. (There isn't a ton about Princess Margaret, but she floats in and out.)  This is the perfect book for any royal watcher or historian!
When it is snowy and cold outside, superspeed readers like me can read 150 - 200+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. LOL

An extraordinary memoir of drama, tragedy, and royal secrets by Lady Anne Glenconner--a close member of the royal circle and lady-in-waiting to Princess Margaret. As seen on Netflix's The Crown.

Lady Anne Glenconner has been at the centre of the royal circle from childhood when she met and befriended the future Queen Elizabeth II and her sister, Princess Margaret. Though the firstborn child of the 5th Earl of Leicester, who controlled one of the largest estates in England, as a daughter she was deemed "the greatest disappointment" and unable to inherit. Since then she has needed all her resilience to survive the vipers of court life with her sense of humour intact.

A unique witness to landmark moments in royal history, Maid of Honor at Queen Elizabeth's coronation, and a lady in waiting to Princess Margaret until her death in 2002, Lady Anne's life has encompassed extraordinary drama and tragedy. In Lady in Waiting, she will share many intimate royal stories from her time as Princess Margaret's closest confidante as well as her own battle for survival: her broken-off first engagement on the basis of her "mad blood"; her 54-year marriage to the volatile, unfaithful Colin Tennant, Lord Glenconner, who left his fortune to a former servant; the death in adulthood of two of her sons; a third son she nursed back from a six-month coma following a horrific motorcycle accident. Through it all, Lady Anne has carried on, travelling the world with the royal family, including visiting the White House, and developing the Caribbean island of Mustique as a safe harbour for the rich and famous-hosting Mick Jagger, David Bowie, Raquel Welch, and many other politicians, aristocrats, and celebrities.

With unprecedented insight into the royal family, Lady in Waiting is a witty, candid, dramatic, at times heart-breaking personal story capturing life in a golden cage for a woman with no inheritance.

Lady Glenconner must have a backbone of steel to have worked for Princess Margaret, who, to me, was one of the world's biggest brats - one who would give PH and MM a run for their money  Lady Glenconner's life was tragic and horrific and a totally fascinating read - maybe it was the backbone she had from her personal life that made her able to deal with PM. It made me laugh, it made me cry and I was engrossed from page one to end.

This is a DEFINITE BOOK CLUB PICK ... it is too juicy to not discuss in a group of women with wine!  It is expertly written and never a boring read for sure - I simply adored it. As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials" on Instagram and Twitter..get a real job, people!) so let's give it 👑👑👑👑👑

This has been out a while in the UK, and I have to wait to March to put it on my book club list. - that cover? Crazy.....
This is precisely the type of memoir I love, one that feels like you are sitting with someone interesting and hearing their stories. I very much liked this look into a different time, place and life! I would highly recommend to anyone that enjoys memoirs, history, royalty.
Lady in Waiting by Anne Glenconner was a whole-heartedly enjoyable read.

Glenconner brings a unique and fresh point of view to a work of fiction that feels as if it magically draws you further and further in. Despite the slower, melodic pace of this memoir, which is the perfect speed for this story, I couldn't stop listening. I never found myself distracted, in fact I found myself thinking about all of the interesting scenarios that Glenconner introduces us to. I loved this.

Thanks to Netgalley for my eARC of this book, in exchange for an honest review!
I found this to be a delightful memoir.  The author has lived an extraordinary life, one that most people could never imagine. It makes me excited for the return of the Crown.
As a fan of The Crown I was fascinated by this intimate account of the Royal life, The author shares with us her lifelong friendship with Princess Elizabeth and Margaret her participation in Queen Elizabeth’s coronation ,friendship with Princess Margaret.She also shares with us the ups and downs of her life, So well written an intimate look at the life of a Royal really enjoyed this well written memoir.#netgalley# hatchettebooks
This was so interesting and because I had just gotten done watching "Downtown Abbey", I felt like this was the perfect book to keep my love of the royals alive. It was very well written, sometimes too much so that I felt lost in the words and had to re-read, but it captured the time very well. This is definitely going to be a great book for people who want to know what the life of a Lady is like.
A fresh and unique perspective on the coronation of our present Queen, as well as the life of Princess Margaret.  The author also shares a very honest look at her own storied life.
I voluntarily reviewed an advance reader copy of this book.