Dukes, Actually

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 04 Nov 2019

As always, Ridley's characters delighted me. Her unconventional heroine, and her shy hero both made me swoon.
Well-written, and very romantic, this story worked well in every aspect.
Oh yes. I’m down to clown in this version of sexy times galore. Give it to me please and thank you. I’m like Ron Swanson with bacon and  eggs but it’s like dukes and dicks. Please and thank you.
I love this series. Its like comfort food ... you know what you will get and it will make you feel full and happy.
Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher and author for this ARC.
Dukes, Actually is a bit of a surprise, a pleasant one!  The Duke of Azureford may appear to be a stuffy duke, but he is extremely shy and awkward.  His silence is off putting to a lot of his peers, but he is apparently somewhat eloquent in the House of Lords, or at least a passably good speaker.  The poor man is trying to find ways to overcome his loneliness and make friends.  I love the new duke vs. the old duke scenarios he uses to overcome his issues.

Carole Quincy, poor woman, has left a sketchbook in the duke’s home.  She is doing what she can to find it before anyone else does.  Her somewhat scheming ways to search for her sketchbook have her developing an unusual relationship with the duke.  I loved her honesty once she finds the book.  She holds nothing back.  The Duke, too, seems to appreciate her honesty.

This may be my favorite Erica Ridley book due to the unusual character traits of Adam, the Duke, and Carole.  They are definitely a case of opposites attracting.  This may, also, be the first book of Ms. Ridley’s that was not extremely sensual.  That is not good or bad, just factual.  Love this series, 12 Dukes of Christmas.
Dukes, Actually ⭐️⭐️⭐️.5

The Duke of Azureford isn’t the arrogant, aloof lord his peers perceive him to be. Yes, he’s awkward, but he has a plan to fix it. In order to woo a respectable lady, he must learn how to flirt. The completely inappropriate girl next door would make a perfect instructor, but a terrible duchess. So why can’t he walk away?

Incorrigible hoyden Miss Carole Quincy likes fast carriages, carom billiards, and the beautiful, buttoned-up Duke of Azureford. She’d be delighted to help him out of his shell and into her arms. Who cares if they’re just pretending to flirt? The heady, breath-taking, soul-consuming feeling inside her runaway heart surely can’t be love…

Who knew so much could happen in a little village called Christmas? Certainly I didn’t expect it. While I typically avoid the “holiday themed” romance stories because well...they are typically over the top sticky sweet.

A light hearted tale of true romance. Not too angsty or overly dramatic, no kidnapping or damsels in distress here. This hit all my marks for a quick rainy weekend romance read

I received this ARC for free in exchange for my honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review. Thank you NetGalley, Erica Ridley and Webmotion.
My Rating : 4
Thank you so much Net galley for the review copy. All opinions are my own and not influenced in any way.
I was already a fan of Erica Ridley since I had read few of her books when I requested this book. When I read the blurb, it really intrigued me and made me want to read this book so much that I requested it.
This book follows our main characters, the socially awkward Duke of Azureford and the quick witted hoyden Miss Carol. The first thing I loved about this was the character traits assigned to the main characters. I have read a lot of historical romances and this book definitely stands one step above the usual cliche characters and the way they communicate. Carol is quick to determine what she wants in life and is really determined to make things work in her favour. And the Duke is just an absolute sweetheart who is absolutely smitten  ( but can't recognize that himself ) and is ready to learn from Carol on how he should behave.
The second is obviously the story telling style and the way this plot progressed. There are a lot of moments where the decisions of the characters doe not lead to more drama but just expresses what they actually want is quite refreshing to read about. I was so used to the historical romances etiquette that this was quite a fresh breath. It is no the most uncommon thing in these books by any means, but this just surprised me because of my previous reads.
Overall, if you are a fan of historical fiction or romance or just quirky characters in a book who knows what they want and is confident in expressing their opinions, definitely give this a try! This series is not a continuous series but a collection that follows different characters based on the previous books.
I enjoyed reading this book. Adam and Carole were meant to be together. I found Adam's character to be very sweet. I liked his list of his requirements for the perfect bride. Each one listed after something that Carole inspired. Very sweet, charming book.
Love this series! Will definitely come back to the author. Love the unique plot and setting. No rakes or ton beauties, pure charm.
I absolutely adore this book I thought Virginia and Theo made a very good couple. The cat was hilarious that thought he was a dog. Thank you for letting me read the story I would like to know more about Virginia’s background and what led up to her parents putting her in the insane asylum
I love the town that is the setting for these books.  A village that it's Christmas all year.  Everyone knows everyone and they care about each other.  This story is about a widowed father of two who really needs a governess.  He seeks immediate help from the sister of his business friends to be a temporary governess and help him in his search for a permanent governess.  Only problem is temporary with this governess Miss de Luc is not nearly enough.  I enjoyed this story and these characters.  A very enjoyable read.  Looking forward to more in this special
4 1/2 stars.
This sweet romance, like others in the series, can be read as a stand-alone. There is very little tension as the book focuses almost entirely on the two main characters. Rather, we are treated to the gentle, well-written tale of a shy duke confronted with an outgoing and accomplished young woman. Adam is determined to overcome his shyness so as to be comfortable attending the kind of functions where he might meet a future wife. He decides that learning to play billiards might help him to make friends. To that end, he will remove all of the books from the library at his summer home in Cressmouth, and replace them with a billiards table. His neighbor, Carole, is a budding architect and an expert billiards player. She has honed the skill in order to play with her father in hopes of helping him overcome his melancholy due to his wife’s death. They meet when Carole sneaks into Adam’s presumably, finally, vacant cottage to retrieve her sketchbook, which she had accidentally dropped there months before. There are very few surprises here. Each resists the attraction as unsuitable, but we know how this tale will end. The delight is in getting there.
This delightful book was a fairly quick read and although I would have liked more description of the town, I was charmed. The book was surprisingly clean despite some kissing between the main characters, focusing more on the romance than the sexual tension between the characters. I liked that the duke was shy but was trying to become a new man by going outside his comfort zone. I felt the fortune teller towards the beginning of the book was unnecessary for the storyline but I guess it added a quirk to the book.
Erica Ridley is an amazing Storyteller! Every single book I read of hers is great! Can't wait for her next book!!
Dukes, Actually by Erica Ridley is another gem. The personality of each character is so distinct! They are delightful as I got to know each one. And, in combination they are dazzling. The storyline is cute and fun. I enjoyed every page! Love the Christmas "themes!"
Absolutely adored this book. I love whenever Erica has a new book in this series and can’t wait to read them. I love how completely pulled into the characters you get and how invested you are. There is enough explanations in the book to read it as a stand-alone but if you read them in order you might pick up on more. A great read.
I liked this installment in the 12 Dukes of Christmas series, as I enjoy the community dynamics and the complicated and sometimes quirky characters. I was amused by the mature romance going on in the background behind the lead characters' story. The twist that brought about the happy ending was a terrific departure from the typical direction I was expecting things to take.
I voluntarily read a complimentary copy provided by the author via Netgalley and I offer my honest opinion in response.
Yay, Erica did it again! I love coming back to Christmas, to meet new inhabitants and see how they learn to enjoy the village. This time it is the Duke of Azureford, Adam, who realizes that he needs to overcome his shyness if he ever wants to find a wife. Because currently, everybody thinks that Adam is an arrogant prick, because he doesn't talk to anyone. So, he has decided he will give a big party in his winter estate at Christmas. But the idea of having to talk to people all the time pretty much scares Adam. So, now he has an idea to transform one of his rooms into a billiards room. Surely, that can't be too difficult?
Miss Carole Quincy is the neighbor of Adam. She isn't shy at all, but she hides a secret: she loves architecture and she would like to reorganize rooms. But no woman is allowed to do stuff like that. When she accidentally loses one of her secret sketchbooks at the Duke's place, she tries to retrieve it. But she is caught by Adam. In exchange of his silence on the sketchbook, Carole promises to help him create his billiards room and help him overcome his shyness. But while they bicker and banter, a beautifully romance is blossoming. And not only between Adam and Carole... Swoon and sigh and enjoy the story! Five out of five stars from me and a special thank you to Netgalley for providing the arc.
This is one of the 12 Dukes of Christmas series. You have Miss Carole Quincy who lives next door to the Duke of Azureford. She is a modern women who has been brought up by her father to be an expert at billiards. She has a passion for architecture and is keen to design the Dukes new billiards room. The Duke is thought to be aloof but just finds small talk difficult. This is an enjoyable story as you follow them overcoming society’s dictates to find all they need is each other.
I was given an ARC of this book by Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
A fun, enjoyable, lovely read about two opposite people who have become friends. She is outgoing and friendly, he is reserved and does not know how to communicate. And yes, the fifth book in the 12 Dukes of Christmas series includes five golden rings symbolism.  Truly a relaxing read, it's hard to give to much feedback without spoilers; five golden stars for Erica Ridley.
Carole and Adam find themselves drawn to each other regardless of what society dictates. Carole has a loving and forceful character, she is confident in who she is and what she desires. Adam knows what is expected of him as the duke but he also knows what he wants, and a marriage without love is not in the books for him. A sweet and tender romance between two opposites, it was heartwarming the way love entwined them without them being aware of it.