Cover Image: The Great Pet Heist

The Great Pet Heist

A laugh out loud quirky story for middle schoolers. The menagerie  of pets that come together to solve their predicament were so fun. Would love to see more adventures with these characters.
It all begins when Butterbean's owner slips in his pile of vomit.  This is a kind of gross start to a cute story!  I loved that Mrs. Food's pets (a dog, a cat, two rats, and a bird) determine that they need to pull off a gold heist to avoid going to the shelter when their injured owner is taken to the hospital.  The pets are all quirky characters as is their accomplice, neighbor octopus, Chad.  The pets' adventures continue when they need to rescue a young girl.  Elementary age and younger middle schoolers will love this story!

Thanks to NetGalley for allowing me to read this story in exchange for an honest review.
When an accident leaves them alone, a dog, cat, bird and two rats join forces to avoid the shelter and being split up.  Taking a cue from tv, they decide to pull off a heist to save the day. Fun, silly story of friendship.
4.5 stars. Such a fun story!! I adored the characters in this. Butterbean is a little dim at times, but so endearing. Walt the cat is a hoot. Oscar the bird is high strung, but smart. And the two rats are a riot. The other animals they find to help them were great, including one that was a bit of a surprise. I enjoyed all the heist pieces and the plot points that launch the animals into their scheme.

The thread with the pet sitter, Melissa, was a nice addition to the story and I loved how that was sorted out in the end. If there are going to be more books in this series, I will absolutely be reading them. Highly recommend.
Butterbean knows that she is now, officially, a bad dog. All because her owner, Mrs. Food, slipped on Butterbean’s vomit, and had to be taken to the hospital. Now Butterbean, Oscar, and Walt, along with two rats (Marco and Polo) must find a way to survive. A new mysterious main is in the apartment building and has a lot of shiny new loot! Together the rag tag group of pets decide to combine their unique skills to plan a heist, just incase Mrs. Food doesn’t come back. Will she come back? This hilarious robbery from a pets’ point of view will leave readers laughing and wanting more adventures. This is a great humor book for middle grade readers who love heists, pets, or humorous stories.

Please note: This was a review copy given to us by NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review. No financial compensation was received.
The Great Pet Heist was a cute book that will draw in young readers who like pets and who like problem solving.  Pets don't know anything beyond the little world we give them, but when their owner is hurt and has to leave, they must learn new things and take care of themselves in an all new way.  Very cute and enjoyed as a read aloud. I would read this again to my class when we are back to normal.
This was so adorable and hilarious! If you enjoy The Secret Life of Pets, this is a book you need to check out. This modge podge  gang of pets will steal your heart in a tale of crime (or crime fighting?) fun! I will be adding this to my read aloud list for next year’s students!! I can’t wait to share it with them!!!
This was such a cute book! I read this aloud to my 7-year old and we both thought it was hilarious. We enjoyed the characters and the plot moved quickly. I would definitely recommend this book for anyone ages 6-12 or for a classroom library or media center. Many thanks to the publisher for my advanced copy in exchange for my honest opinions.
A dog, a cat, a bird and two rats all in one NYC apartment.  Their owner takes a fall and leaves them to get treated and they quickly wonder about their future.  They band together to make a plan to make themselves rich, so they can take care of themselves.  When a young girl enters the picture, they worry a little less, but still take matters into their own hands.

What a fun and sweet book told through the perspective of the animals.  I am a dog owner and animal lover, so I loved hearing life through their eyes.  It made me giggle quite a few times when I thought about how my crew would operate without humans.

The one thing that I didn't completely love about the book was the names of the animals.  For some reason it was hard for me to keep them all straight.  I don't know why I couldn't do it, but I wish their names had matched their personalities or type of animal a bit better!

I would recommend this to many young readers.  With a love of animals and a fun heist plot line, this is a great read for adults to read to a child or an early reader.
I received an electronic ARC from Simon and Schuster Children's Publishing through NetGalley.
Interesting story of what happens when pets are left on their own. Their owner, Mrs. Food, falls and is taken to the hospital. The five pets - 1 dog (Butterbean), 1 cat (Walt), 1 bird (Oscar), 2 rats (Marco & Polo) - devise a plan to stay together and not be sent to the shelter if their owner cannot come back home. They plan a heist, steal gold coins, return the coins, and rescue their pet sitter. In the end, they get to stay in the apartment with Mrs. Food and Madison.
Plenty of humor throughout the story. Ecton created delightful characters who will amuse and delight middle grade readers.
This chapter book received rave reviews from the 6 year old I read it to during sequestered home schooling.  He found the story and illustrations immensely amusing, and was eager to resume hearing it read each day.  The cast of characters includes the pets of hospitalized Mrs. Food, leaving Butterbean the dog, Oscar the bird, Walt the cat, and Marco & Polo the rats to fend for themselves.  A mystery surrounds Madison, the girl who has been hired to feed them, and the sinister Coin Man gives them all the creeps.  By joining together and recruiting Chad the octopus from another apartment to help, the group problem-solves, overcomes numerous obstacles to reach a satisfying conclusion.  The slapstick humor makes for fun reading aloud to younger grades, but will also be fun for independent reading for middle grades.
Do you ever wonder what happens when you leave your pets at home?  Do you think they live a life of adventure and intrigue?  If you love pets, you will enjoy this story of a group of animals on a mission while their owners are away.  Meet a diverse cast of pets who aren't afraid to step up and help their community and a young girl in their apartment building when needed.  This book has all the makings of a great series!
The Great Pet Heist is a very cute story about a set of pets who get super worried when their owner Mrs. Food falls and may not come back. They plot to become independently deathly so they won’t have to go to the s word (the shelter). So between a wiener dog, cat, bird, mice and even an octopus the set off on a funny and crazy adventure in their building to steal coins from the scary man in the building. I read this book as a read aloud to my 9 year old (3rd grade) and he thoroughly loved it.  It was hard for us to just read a few chapters a day as we wanted to keep reading to find out what these silly pets would do next.

I was provided with an electronic ARC through NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.
"Ragtag group of pets who will do whatever it takes to avoid being sent to the pound."  I expected to like this book more than I did.  Maybe it was just my frame of mind.  The story is told by the pets, and is a cute story.  I just wasn't into it.  I am thinking 3rd and 4th grade may just like it more.  I did enjoy the perspectives of each different animals -dog, cat, rats, bird, even an octopus.  Maybe it was just too hard to believe that these animals were capable of all that they did.
The Great Pet Heist is a hilarious tale about 5 pets (and two pet friends) that want to steal some gold coins from an another apartment since their "person" Mrs. Food, or Mrs. Fedeker, has gone to the hospital. The pets have overheard that their demise will be to go to shelters. To solve this problem, they are going to become rich! Well, as you can imagine, their plans go awry as they encounter the "bad guys" and the unattended neighbor Madison. These animals seem to be able to communicate with each other, but not humans. They possess human feelings and mannerisms. Children will enjoy their hijinks! Throughout the book, black and white illustrations emphasize the plot as it thickens and provide entertaining visual support. All in all, those who like classics such as Charlotte's Web or Bill Wallace's Totally Disgusting will thoroughly enjoy The Great Pet Heist.. This would be a great step up to longer chapter books for those students that have been reading Nick Bruel's Bad Kitty series too!
A single woman, who lives with a bunch of pets, falls and is transported to the hospital.  Left alone, the pets (a dog, cat, bird and two rats) are not sure how they will survive.  Eventually, the building manager brings a little girl to help keep the pets safe and alive until the woman, Mrs. Food, returns.  The pets overhear that Mrs. Food is probably going to an assisted living facility.  They organize and execute a plan to become independently wealthy so they won’t be separated.
Opinion
This is a really cute book for the emerging reader.  It has a mystery as well as several different problems that the animals must fix.  The fact that the animals name their people based off of what the people do for them is hilarious.  The animals each have their own quirky personalities that will leave the young reader laughing.  I think this book would even appeal to older, struggling readers, which is typically a hard group to please.
Goofy-fun animal story that will tickle the funny bone of readers in grades 3-6.  Seven different animals, all living in the same apartment building, take part in a heist of gold coins in an effort to become independently wealthy and help some of them avoid the dreaded shelter after their human is taken to the hospital.  An added plot twist involves a young girl who has been enlisted to tend to the pets who have been left human-less, who has her own dire situation to resolve.  Neatly wrapped up conclusion will satisfy all and may leave the door open for another book centered on this motley crew of rodents, a canine, a feline, a bird, and one creature who has no place in an apartment building. Highly recommended for fans of Suzanne Selfors' Wedgie and Gizmo or Julie Falatko's Two Dogs in a Trench Coat, both equally funny series for the same age group.
Young pet lovers are certain to be delighted with this book.
The plot is creative--when their owner (and provider of food), seriously falls and injures herself, the animals must fare for themselves.  My elementary school readers will especially enjoy the talking pets who take on the role of investigators, provocateurs and friends all a the same time.  The theme of looking out for each other will resonate but, above all, the humor and adventure will keep them reading without wanting to put the book down until they find out if the pets succeed.
I enjoyed the book. I think you could used excepts of this book to teach dialogue. The book was cute. A little slow start I feel kids would laugh out load at certain parts. I feel it would make a fantastic movie.
This was a cute story!  It reminded me of "The Secret Life of Pets".  The characters were funny and lovable.  There was a little bit of action and mystery.  I loved how it ended and hope there will be a series of books with these guys (and girls) in it.