Member Review

Pub Date:

Review by

Misty M, Reviewer

My Recommendation

Have you ever heard the saying, hiding in plain sight? When You See Me by Lisa Gardner is an exceptional illustration of just that.

I can't believe this is the first time I've come across Lisa Gardner! Luckily I've made up for it and purchased every one of her books that I could find at my local bookstore and have added them to my never-ending TBR list!

How far would a serial killer go, and just how deep is his reach? Detective D.D. Warren and Agent Quincy join forces with former victim turned vigilante Flora Dane, techie Keith and the local law enforcement of a small town in Georgia to uncover a web of deceit extending farther than any one of them ever imagined. As Flora is tasked with digging deeper and reexamining every gut-wrenching memory from her time in captivity, it doesn't take long for her and the team to form links between the past and current day crimes.  I don't want to give too much away -BUT- this is one that's well worth the time it takes to read!

Gardner flawlessly interweaves our leading ladies' narratives into a twisty, and inexplicably satisfying, thriller that quickly sweeps the reader off their feet! D.D., Kimberly, and Flora each possess strong personalities, respectively, flowing with one another, in part, due to their no-nonsense attitudes. I enjoyed the creative differences each of the characters showed while struggling towards the same ultimate outcome. The crimes they're investigating are heinous in nature, bringing about sorrow as you are made to realize just a part of what victims in these situations must go through. Our heroines respond and deal with these tragedies through love, humanity, and bits of humorous gems sprinkled about, ideally breaking up the monotony and sobering scenery that makeup When You See Me.

I'd highly recommend this book to fans of Lisa Gardner's Boston Detective D.D. Warren series and her FBI Profiler Agent Kimberly Quincy series! When You See Me is the perfect crossover between Gardner's most beloved characters. Crime thriller fans alike will savor the intense action and satisfying conclusion to not only Flora Dane's dark past, but countless of others as well. I'd likewise happily recommend this book (and these series) to prospective new fans on the hunt for their next great crime thriller read of the year!

Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher Penguin Group Dutton, and the author Lisa Gardner for providing me with an advanced reader's copy of this title in exchange for an honest review.

**Also reviewed on Amazon, Apple Books, Google Play Books & Kobo. Unable to obtain links.**