Cover Image: When You See Me

When You See Me

A team of misfits, including a trauma survivor, FBI agent, detective and tech guru, all converge on the small town of Niche, Georgia to uncover a predator’s legacy that’s enduring years after his supposed demise. When the shadow of familiarity sparks interest in this group, they set forth with trepidation but fierce determination to uncover the full story and put an end to the predator’s reign.  Read More.... https://booksuplift.com/when-you-see-me/
I was recently introduced to Lisa Gardner's D.D. Warren series, and I am loving it!  I haven't read a bad book yet, and these kinds of police procedurals are definitely a favorite of mine.
Nothing can grab me and pull me in quite like a D.D. Warren case. This one was by far my favorite so far in the series. In this book we learn more background on Jacob Ness and how he lived his life. This one will have you sitting on the edge of your chair and flipping pages as fast as you can!
“When you see me” is another winner by Lisa Gardener!  This one is the third in a series featuring the former kidnapped victim, Flora Dane.  I would certainly advise anyone wanting to read this to read the first two books first, but Gardener does do an admirable job of laying groundwork in case a reader either doesn’t remember the details of the first two or is a first time reader of the series.

This one was set in the Appalachian region of north Georgia.  Many of our favorites from past novels are featured along with a cast of thousands more!  Keeping up with all the characters was a bit challenging, but well worth it.

It was a good story and well told.  She tied up all the loose ends well in the end.

I received this as an ARC from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.  I heartily recommend it.
Another engrossing read in the DD Warren series.  I really like these characters and how they work together to solve the mystery.  A lot of unlikable characters in this one, which kept you intrigued and rooting for the good guys.
I have not read the rest of the series but I want to read it now.  Flora was kidnapped when she was in college during Spring Break and was with her kidnapper for months before she was rescued but he was never captured.  When bodies are found in a remote area, Flora and her friend are brought in to see if they can help capture her kidnapper.  Things are not what they seem at first in this small friendly Georgia town.
Dang, I was stoked about this book then really bummed I didn't like it. Too many characters. Too many switches to  new places. I think it's compelling enough, just for me, overwhelming. I'm giving it four stars, however, because the author moves the story forward, sometimes it just seems too fast (gah, I bet someone will say the story moves too slow!). I'd easily hand sell this to thriller/mystery readers, however.
FBI Special Agent Kimberly Quincy and Sergeant Detective DD Warren have built a task force to follow the digital bread crumbs left behind by deceased serial kidnapper Jacob Ness. And when a disturbing piece of evidence comes to light, they decide to bring in Flora Dane who has personal experience of being imprisoned by Ness. Their investigations take them to a small town deep in the hills of Georgia where something seems to be deeply wrong. What at first seems like a Gothic eeriness soon hardens into something much more sinister as they discover that for all the evil Jacob committed while alive, his worst secret is still to be revealed. review: Lisa Gardner’s police procedurals are among my favorites, so I am always quick to read any book she comes out with! When You See Me features some of the characters I’ve grown to know and love including DD Warren and Flora Dane. While this book is part of a series, it can certainly be read as a stand alone book. This book delivered such an action packed, gripping tale of the evil that resides in small town Georgia and left me hanging until the last page with all the twists and surprises. As always, Gardner does a fantastic job of creating an atmospheric, well-developed novel. I’m already looking forward to her next one. rating: 4 out of 5 ⭐️
When You See Me is a great read! I really enjoyed it and I'm so thankful for receiving this egalley.

When You See Me was my first Lisa Gardner novel. Despite this fact, I was able to quickly to get up to speed. I loved the gritty characters and the cat and mouse investigation. It was a slow burn for me to start, but that I really felt like it added to the complexity of the story.

I am definitely interested in going back to the first book in this series!
Books and series like this are why I love reading so much!  I started reading this series in the middle with the 1st book that introduced Flora Dane's character.  This is now the 4th book that I've read by this author and each book has been a five star read for me!  That's amazing!  I will say that while you don't have to read this series in order (as I haven't), I would recommend starting where I did with book #8 which is titled Find Her.  It's a good place in this series to start if you aren't willing to go all the way back to book one like I plan on doing.  Lisa Gardner has become one of my go to authors at this point.  I will be reading everything and anything she writes!  But back to this book - I picked this one up because with everything going on in the current world I needed an author I could trust and a book that would sweep me away.  That is exactly what this book did!  I finished this book in about two days because I just could not set my kindle down.  I was absolutely hooked by the entire book!  The thing about this series is that I have really come to care for DD and Flora's characters for a variety of reasons.  This is the 1st book that I've read featuring Kimberly Quincy (she may have been in the previous books I've read but just didn't play a main role like she did in this one - I can't remember for sure).  This book focused on three strong women solving one very twisted mystery.  What more could you want?!?  I found myself reading as fast as I could, the suspense had me on the edge of my seat, and I was completely satisfied with the way the book ended.  It's going to be a long wait until the next book in the series releases but I already know that it will be completely worth the wait!  Also, I could fill in the time with those older books considering I now have a few of them on my shelves already after loving this series so much!

Overall, this is another five star read for me with this series!  I have well and truly loved EVERY book that I've read in it so far!  This is one of those authors and series that shouldn't be missed!  I cannot recommend it enough!  I think that readers will enjoy this one if you are a mystery fan, like darker thrilling reads (she kind of reminds me of Karin Slaughter although I'm not sure that I've read enough of Slaughter's books to say that for sure - Gardner's books aren't as graphic), or just want a book/series that will keep you turning the pages late into the night!  I highly, highly recommend this book AND this series as someone who has only read four books in it so far!

Bottom Line:  An easy book to give five stars - I loved it!

Disclosure:  I received a copy of this book thanks the publisher.  Honest thoughts are my own.
I am new to the Detective D.D. Warren series having started with this book.  I was drawn in first by the storyline of bodies being found in the woods of a small town, but soon became more interested in the three leading ladies.  Filled with suspense, this book challenged my usual ability to figure out who the evil mastermind is, and how Thur will be caught.  I’m definitely going Go back and explore the rest of this authors books.
Another great entry to the D.D. Warren series. I started late with the series and jumped in with NEVER TELL (Book # 10). Gardner gives enough backstory on all of the characters so that I didn't feel like I was missing anything from not having read the earlier books. I was glad to have read NEVER TELL as WHEN YOU SEE ME picks up soon after and felt almost like an extension. Overall, it was an easy read, fast, and suspenseful. I will slowly be making my way back through the earlier books.
I am a HUGE Lisa Gardner fan and this one didn’t disappoint in the least!!! It was so creepy and will stay with me for awhile! The books in this series are great all together but can be read individually which is a huge bonus! I really enjoyed this one!!!
How could I not like a book, when all my favorite characters of Lisa Gardner's are in one book.
Detective DD Warren, FBI Special Agent Kimberly Quincy and survivor/vigilante Flora Dane are called together to help solve a murder in the hills of Georgia by serial kidnapper, Jacob Ness. We quickly learn that this is not a one murder mystery as there are many strange occurrences that are unfolding in this small town. There are twists and turns to keep you interested through the whole book.  I will be looking forward to the next D.D. Warren.
I found this an entertaining read and a nice addition to the D D Warren series.  It was well written and engaging as are all Lisa Gardner novels. Added bonus of Agent Kimberly Quincy being the other main character. These are two empowering females who are always a pleasure to read about. I look forward to the next installment in the series but note that it can be read as a standalone book as well as out of order.

I recommend this book!

Thanks to #NetGalley and the publisher for an ARC copy!
RATING: 4 STARS
2020; Dutton/Penguin

Please note, if this is the first time you are picking up a Lisa Gardner book, please at least go back to Find Her. In Find Me we meet Flora Dane and will explain the background of the case in this book. Reading this book on its own, I think will be okay, but there is a lot of the back story missing (that would go for all the three women). It can also ruin going back and reading the others, if spoilers annoy you. I would start with The Perfect Husband and work my way through.

When You See Me reunites Sergeant Detective D.D. Warren with F.B.I Special Agent Kimberly Quincy as they create a new task force to follow the "digital bread crumbs left behind by deceased serial kidnapper Jacob Ness". When they discover some findings in the hills of a town they bring in Flora Dane and her love interest, Keith Edger (a tech guy into true crime) to help them. The small town has an eerie feeling, that may have been more sinister than they ever imagined. As I was reading this novel, I could feel that creepy feeling that the four were having. Especially with the Mayor and his wife. Everything about them, their place and the way they treated the poor young girl, who could not talk, was just so horror film-ish.

As soon as I finish a Lisa Gardner book, I cannot wait for the next one to come out. If this is the first novel you have read by Lisa Gardner...like I suggested earlier, go back to The Perfect Husband and read it via the Gardner Universe list. Every book, but the two standalone novels, are intertwined with characters.

***I received a complimentary copy of this ebook from the publisher through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.***
When bones are found in the wilderness they bring Flora Dane, Detective D.D. Warren and Agent Kimberly Quincy back to the past. Back to the origins of Jacob Ness, the man who kidnapped and kept Flora captive for over a year. When they join forces to investigate they body, they find another body. Then another. The more they find, they more they realise that the evil involves more than just Ness and may have taken over the whole town.

I started 2020 with a bang, this was my first read of the new year and it had me glued to the page. This was an intense emotional thriller full of dark twists and turns. This was a compelling read that kept me enthralled, both because I wanted to know more about the secrets they were unearthing and also because of the characters personal journeys.

I actually started reading this series half way through, I keep meaning to go back and fill in the gaps, but I haven’t yet had the chance. However, I found that having a background of who the characters were, especially Flora Dane, really added depth to this story. It can still be read as a standalone, but if you want this book to truly capture your heart it helps to have seen the characters previous journey.

That’s what I really love about this series, although the thriller story line is always really strong, with fascinating twists and turns that propel the story forward, this is a character driven series. You’re in it to see whodunit, but also because D.D. and Flora are some fantastic heroines who have continued to evolve over the course of the series. This book goes into the past, and we see some of the origins of the boogeyman of this series: Jacob Ness. But, we are also introduced to a new character, a young girl, who I really hope will appear in the next book. I don’t want to say too much because….spoilers!

A really great read, perhaps my favourite so far in this series, if you want an emotional and exciting thriller, then you need to give this series a try.
Have you ever heard the saying, hiding in plain sight? When You See Me by Lisa Gardner is an exceptional illustration of just that.

I can't believe this is the first time I've come across Lisa Gardner! Luckily I've made up for it and purchased every one of her books that I could find at my local bookstore and have added them to my never-ending TBR list!

How far would a serial killer go, and just how deep is his reach? Detective D.D. Warren and Agent Quincy join forces with former victim turned vigilante Flora Dane, techie Keith and the local law enforcement of a small town in Georgia to uncover a web of deceit extending farther than any one of them ever imagined. As Flora is tasked with digging deeper and reexamining every gut-wrenching memory from her time in captivity, it doesn't take long for her and the team to form links between the past and current day crimes.  I don't want to give too much away -BUT- this is one that's well worth the time it takes to read!

Gardner flawlessly interweaves our leading ladies' narratives into a twisty, and inexplicably satisfying, thriller that quickly sweeps the reader off their feet! D.D., Kimberly, and Flora each possess strong personalities, respectively, flowing with one another, in part, due to their no-nonsense attitudes. I enjoyed the creative differences each of the characters showed while struggling towards the same ultimate outcome. The crimes they're investigating are heinous in nature, bringing about sorrow as you are made to realize just a part of what victims in these situations must go through. Our heroines respond and deal with these tragedies through love, humanity, and bits of humorous gems sprinkled about, ideally breaking up the monotony and sobering scenery that makeup When You See Me.

I'd highly recommend this book to fans of Lisa Gardner's Boston Detective D.D. Warren series and her FBI Profiler Agent Kimberly Quincy series! When You See Me is the perfect crossover between Gardner's most beloved characters. Crime thriller fans alike will savor the intense action and satisfying conclusion to not only Flora Dane's dark past, but countless of others as well. I'd likewise happily recommend this book (and these series) to prospective new fans on the hunt for their next great crime thriller read of the year!

Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher Penguin Group Dutton, and the author Lisa Gardner for providing me with an advanced reader's copy of this title in exchange for an honest review.

**Also reviewed on Amazon, Apple Books, Google Play Books & Kobo. Unable to obtain links.**
While this was the first book I read by this author and I’m sure it won’t be my last, it didn’t absolutely wow me like I was expecting after seeing so many 5 star ratings.  However, it was interesting getting to know all the different characters and I would definitely say it’s a good thriller. Thank you to Netgalley and Penguin Group Dutton for the advanced copy of this book!
Lisa Gardner has brought some of her most memorable characters together in the thriller, When you See Me. Flora Dane, Keith Edgar, and Detective Sergeant D. D. Warren, along with FBI agent Kimberly Quincy are made part of a task force and sent to a small Georgia town that at first has clues regarding Jacob Ness, Flora’s kidnapper, who is dead. However, while investigating, old bones are found in the hills, and new murders are being committed right under their noses. There is a picturesque Bed and Breakfast in the town, owned by the mayor and his wife, and when the wife is murdered, D D discovers an employee who is mute, but seems to know things that will be important to the investigation. Clues are uncovered, and the investigation opens a can of worms that will be difficult for the task force to get to the bottom of.

Thriller lovers will appreciate Gardner’s storytelling skills which are better than most popular authors writing today, and her excellent development of the characters. The main characters are an unlikely group: a kidnapping victim, a police detective, a computer nerd, and an FBI agent, which make up the task force, as well as a mute teenager, a small-town sheriff, and some odd residents.

Gardner is good at building suspense, and this novel has plenty; it is one that is difficult to put down. Gardner knows how to keep readers’ interest, and includes twists and turns that make it almost impossible to guess “who done it” until the dénouement, which doesn’t come until the very end. Some of the scenarios at the end hint that there will be more books released with the same characters, and fans will have trouble being patient while waiting. This thriller is highly recommended.

Special thanks to NetGalley for supplying a review copy of this book