When You See Me

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Dec 2020

I could not put this book down!  Lisa Gardner did what she does best and gave us a riveting story with When You See Me;.  I'm always happy to read more about D.D. Warren, Flora Dane, and Kimberly Quincy.  I would love to read more about Bonita and her progress in the future.
As a fan of just about everything, ok, everything, that Lisa Gardner has written, I was over the moon to get the ARC for this. Not only did I get to spend time with Detective DD Warren again, Flora was back along with Kimberly Quincy. I mean that right there is the making of an amazing book. This was edge of my seat thrilling and I read it within one day. I could not put this down. Jacob Ness, even though long dead, is back and making waves. As they dig deeper into these new crimes that seem to have a connection to him, what are they going to find? What they do will shock you. As soon as this book is released I urge you to run, not walk, to pick it up. You won't be disappointed..
I absolutely loved this book! It is a definite page turner. I couldn’t put it down. I was worried that with so many major characters that I wouldn’t be able to get “attached”, but I loved them all! This was my first D.D. Warren read and I am thrilled that it’s part of a series. I’ll definitely be reading more!

Thank you for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for my honest opinion.
Detective D. D. Warren, Flora Dane, and FBI Agent Kimberly Quincy, three of Gardner's strong female characters, join forces to investigate skeletal remains found in the wood in Georgia, with a possible link to Flora past kidnapping by Jacob Ness.
Thank you to the publishers @duttonbooks and @netgalley for this free copy in exchange for my honest review.

I haven’t read a good police procedural in awhile and this one just inspired me to pick up more! It’s very evident that Lisa Gardner did her research for this novel and it only made it that much better. She was able to write in such detail about many subjects like FBI profiling, task forces, geographical locations and even forensic details! Details like this make reading 10x more enjoyable in my opinion; makes it feel more realistic.

The book has multiple POV’s: 3 amazing women and a mysterious child. I want to go in depth on what this book was about, but I went into it blind and I feel that was the best way to go, especially for this book! This book is apart of a series but can easily be read as a stand alone. In fact, this was my first Lisa Gardner book and won’t be my last! It was captivating from page one, fast paced and completely unputdownable. Not to mention, the characters were easy to care about! Overall, a fantastic read I would highly recommend!

Rate: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️💫 (4.5/5)
When You See Me
Lisa Gardner
January 28, 2020

Years ago Flora Dane was taken captive.  For over 100 days she was kept in a basement of a cabin.  When her captor was gone on his trucking runs, Flora was kept in a wooden coffin with air piped in.  When he came home he would feed her then rape and persecute her until he was content with his actions. Back in the coffin she would go.  Days, weeks went by with no rescue.  By some miracle, Detective D.D. Warren had been on the case and eventually found Flora locked away in the cabin.
When You See Me is a continuation of this story. Flora’s story continues on via working with a case that D.D. needs her help with.  FBI Agent Kimberly Quincy needs their help solving a series of murders that have been discovered in the hills of Georgia. This story is inventive and really challenging.  It was another of Gardner’s books that keep us in suspense, wondering what happened and why.  Flora’s captor, Jacob Ness was again part of this mystery despite his death years before.  It is an excellent read.  If you read Flora’s story it is a terrific continuation but if not Gardner explains enough about Flora’s pain and suffering during and since due to horrific memories.
When You See Me by Lisa Gardner will be published on January 28, 2020 by Dutton. If you are a mystery fan it is a great selection.
Fans of Lisa Gardner will enjoy this...the whole gang is working together in this one. Could be read as a stand-alone if you aren’t familiar with everyone here. There is enough explanation to fill you in on what you need to know.
This is the eleventh in the Detective D.D. Warren series and it brings together players from past novels including former victim Flora Dane, FBI agent Kimberly Quincy, and computer savant Keith as they travel to Georgia to investigate the discovery of human bones deep in the woods.  As they delve into this mystery, all is not what it seems in this bucolic small town and more gruesome revelations are uncovered.

Told from different viewpoints, the plot moves along quickly as does the evil.

This is my second in a row of this series and once again I found it engrossing.  It is well written with strong continuing character development.  Some of the twists and turns were an easy guess, but that did not detract from my enjoyment of the story. This books works well as a standalone, but for more background on the primary actors, go back to the introduction of Flora Dane in Find Me followed by subsequent books featuring her.
Intense drama in this recent installment of Lisa Gardiner's D.D. Warren book series! Fast paced, action driven, and emotionally charged , this book had it all. The story is told through four strong determined females, on a mission to right the wrongs of the past and present. Lisa Gardiner never disappoints, this novel was captivates from the first chapter.
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for the advanced copy of the book.
#netgalley
#whenyouseeme
Another great addition to the D.D. Warren series. Equal parts police procedural and psychological thriller, Lisa Gardner never fails to entertain with her fast moving plots, fully developed characters and surprising twists. Highly recommended
I've said it before and I'll say it again... Lisa Gardner is one of the top thriller writers!! I did not want this book to end. I wanted to keep the adventure going with D.D., Flora, and Kimberly. What begins as a potentially random incident, Ms. Gardner weaves so neatly into the lives of her beloved cast: D.D., Flora, and Kimberly. Throughout the novel, it was interesting how Ms. Gardner presented several "uncomfortable" situations to Flora, and as a reader, I was able to watch her grow, and perhaps, heal a little bit. The mystery is solid and the characters are incredible. I cannot wait to see where she takes D.D. and Flora next... and if there are some additions to the family. Thank you!
Fans of Lisa Gardner might find this latest easier to read than I did. The story was ok but I haven’t read previous books with these characters so I struggled to care about the three main characters struggles. There is Sergeant Detective D.D. Warren a Northern detective, FBI Agent Kimberly Quincy and Flora Dane, a victim of the serial killer Jacob Ness. Jacob Ness had imprisoned Flora and when the police were closing in, he handed his gun to Flora allowing her to kill him.
In this latest installment GA  hikers have found bones when they left the trail to look for a walking stick and there is reason to believe they may be victims of Ness.
As these three women are brought into a team of investigators, they learn that this small town is not as idyllic as it first appears. D.D. Warrens’ suspicions are first raised when they visit the Mayor and his wife who own the local B & B and meet a young girl who they claim is their niece. They claim she is non- verbal but Warren finds a way to communicate with her.
The book has a few chapters told from this childs’ POV so the reader knows there is real evil lurking.
The book started a little slowly for me but it picks up. Again, I think if I had read previous books with these characters, I would have gotten into it much quicker.
I have read other books by Lisa Gardner and she is a gifted storyteller. I received an ARC from Netgalley and Dutton in exchange for my honest opinion. Look for this on January 28, 2020.
Big big big fan of Lisa Gardner’s newest book When You See Me.....I enjoy all of the characters that are in most of Lisa’s books. I feel like I‘ve known them for years. I am a fan for life.
You can't go wrong with Lisa Gardner, especially when three of her famous characters are united to investigate a current murder which have implications from a murder in the past. I know readers who religiously follow Gardner are sure to enjoy this new thriller.
This book features 3 of the authors previous characters, D. D. Warren, Flora Dane and Kimberly Quincy.  A body has been found in the woods by hikers.  When the body is identified it is tied to dead serial killer Jacob Ness.  The FBI forms a task force to try and find clues that could lead to other possible victims of Ness.  The site of the body is near a small town which is not what it seems.  Before long more skeletons are found. If these skeletons  are tied to Ness he had to have help.

This book is told from multiple viewpoints. It is a twisty thriller that will keep you on the edge of your seat and you won’t be able to put it down.  There is a great cast of relatable  characters.  I would give this book 4 1/2stars rounded up to 5.  Thank you to net galley for an advanced readers copy.
I am reviewing this for Library Journal please refer to the January 28th edition of Library Journal to see my full review Thank You
When You See Me is another book in the D.D. Warren/Flora Dane series, this one having viewpoint chapters from D.D., Flora, Kimberly Quincy of the FBI, and a new voice. Those four perspectives were just about all I wanted to handle. The FBI Task Force dealing with the investigation of Jacob Ness, rapist and kidnapper, who held Flora captive for over a year, has gotten notice of human remains in an area where Ness was thought to travel. Quincy activates all the parties, even the civilians Flora and Keith, to go to the hills of north Georgia to see if there is any connection to Ness from these unidentified skeletal remains. The team goes from one shocking discovery to another until the investigation seems to be falling apart from too much evidence. How do they know who to trust?

I have been following this series since Flora was first introduced and find the plots and the characters fascinating. The material can be disturbing because it does deal with such grim realities in the criminal world so the series is not for all readers. Lisa Gardner doesn't uncover the unsavory aspects of criminal behavior just for shock value and that one thing makes me able to read about these awful things people in these stories do to each other. I certainly like that Gardner continues to do the research necessary to be able to include up-to-date techniques used in criminal investigations; plus she has such a natural way of inserting those facts into her stories, it never feels like I'm being lectured to.

As I was reading this story I began to wonder if Flora's story was winding down with this book because Flora is given the opportunity to work through so many of the things about her time with Ness that had held her back from living a normal life. Great strides are made by Flora, but I don't imagine this will be the last time we see her involved in an investigation. Her time of capture made her such an invaluable asset to criminal investigations that I'm sincerely hoping she will continue to be a major character in the series.

Thank you to NetGalley and Penguin Group - Dutton for an e-galley of this novel.
I absolutely Lisa Gardner's book. This is another book with Kimberly Quincy and the the book continues where the last one left off. This book is full of suspense and thrill. I didn't want to put it down. It kept drawing me in and left me wanting to know what was going to happen. This is a must read.
This was a great edge of your seat book! This book kept me captivated the whole time! I could not put it done!
This is only the second book that I have read in this series but it can definitely be read as a stand alone. I will tell you that this book scared the heck out of me!  It didn’t help that I was reading it at night and way past my bedtime, bad idea, had trouble falling asleep!

At any rate the story is told from three different points of view. Flora Dane is a survivor, she was held captive (kidnapped, raped and terrorized) for over a year by Jacob Ness, until she herself was able to kill him. She has spent the last 7 years since then trying to help other victims and now is part of this task force which is sent to a small mountain town in the deep woods of Georgia. Skeletal remains have been found and it is possible that these may be linked to Jacob Ness, the man who had held Flora captive.

The other members of the team include detective D.D. Warren and FBI Agent Kimberley Quincey. We are told the story from these three POV’s and Italicized paragraphs in the voice of an unknown person. There are many others who will become a part of the investigative team including Keith, a computer analyst who adds his talents at decoding what will become a tangled web of evil.

This Georgia town’s inhabitants are all potentially involved in what has been going on, particularly the mayor and his wife who own the updated and beautiful Victorian B & B at the town’s center. They basically “run” the town and many of the townspeople are fearful of saying anything against them.

It isn’t long before more skeletons are found and more forensic teams are called in. All the while the on scene teams split into two teams, one to interrogate inhabitants of the town and the others to use an ATV to canvas the area where the skeletal remains have been found.

This isn’t a slow burn of a mystery, it becomes a thriller quite quickly and the tension just keeps on building. It is very difficult with a thriller so multi-layered to say much more without giving away any part of the plot. It would be best to just start reading and let the story drawn you in, and it will I promise you.

There are, of course, some believability issues with how many people can be evil in one small town, but that is the nature of the genre and I was willing to just go along for the ride. I really enjoyed the strong female characters in this novel, all of whom have had their own personal struggles.

I highly recommend this book to readers of the D.D.Warren series but anyone can pick up this novel and read it on it’s own merit.

I received an ARC of this novel through NetGalley. This book is set to publish on January 28, 2020.

Will post to Amazon upon publication