Cover Image: When You See Me

When You See Me

Lisa Gardner is my tried and true...every book she writes is tight..this might have been one of her more convoluted stories but it was certainly original...not many people will be able to pull of a thriller where an entire town is trouble...Gardner’s books are fast paced and a great recommendation for thriller readers.
I did a happy dance when I got approved for this advanced copy! I love Lisa Gardner and her Flora Dane character so I was excited to dig in. You have 3 strong females, Detective D.D. Warren, Flora Dane (a kidnap survivor), and FBI Special Agent Kimberly Quincy. This is a part of a series but you can definitely read this as a stand-alone, though you might want to read her previous ones just to get the backstory on these 3 women. Bodies are discovered in a small Georgia town and SSA Quincy leads this task force along with the help of Boston detective Warren. There seem to be a connection to Jacob Ness, Flora's kidnapper, so Flora plays a big part in this novel as well. I flew through this book and loved the mystery aspect. In addition to the bodies, there are current murders so it obviously isn't the work of Ness since he's dead. So who else is involved?? Loved trying to figure it out and just love the overall writing style of the author!
WHEN YOU SEE ME was a difficult read from the very beginning, in the sense that it broke my heart again and again. The book opens with a young girl and her loving mother cooking dinner together, what should be a happy memorable moment turns into a devastating nightmare you won’t soon forget…

‘The house is agitated…The others don’t feel it...I place my hand on the wall closest to me. I try to tell the building it’s okay. I know bad things have happened here. It’s not the mansion’s fault, any more than it is mine. We’re both victims...

‘My name is Bonita. I am pretty. I am strong. I am my mother’s daughter. Always.’

I have to admit, when I got to Chapter Two of WHEN YOU SEE ME, I was bit confused, as it was evident that something had happened to these mix of characters previously, bringing them together at this moment, and I wasn’t privy to what it was, assured that all will be revealed, and when it wasn’t, I decided to do a quick search on Amazon. I learned that WHEN YOU SEE ME is book number eleven in the Detective D.D. Warren series.

‘Really...REALLY! Another book series?!’ my pocketbook screams at me as my debit card, still smoking from my previous book purchase (purchases, lets be honest), leaps out of my wallet and runs for the hills, leaving my lonely library card-quaking in its loose sleeve-to pick up the slack in the hopes of keeping my fantastical-book-fetish alive! HeHe!

Yeah, I can live with that.

If you’re not able to purchase this book and/or the previous ten, I highly recommend checking them out at the library.

Luckily, my Mom is a huge Lisa Gardner fan, so I’m hoping she will let me borrow a couple from her extensive wall to wall library that used to be my old bedroom. Kind of fitting, don’t you think. ;)

Thank you, NetGalley and Penguin Random House Publishing, for loaning me an advance eBook of WHEN YOU SEE ME in exchange for an honest review.
4 stars!! Wow what a ride. I'm a huge fan of Lisa Gardner and her DD Warren books, especially the Flora Dane crossovers. This was a good addition to that series, although it's not one of the best in it.

Thanks netgalley for the chance to view the advanced PDF so that I can share my opinions with y'all!
I don't know how I have never read a book by Lisa Gardner before! I must have been hiding somewhere.  Even though this book has three characters from previous novels come together, I did not have a problem getting to know each of them.  The story is a fast-moving and twisted thrill ride that follows Flora Dane, Detective D.D. Warren, and FBI agent Kimberly Quincy.  While trying to find more information on the serial killer and rapist Jacob Ness, the three women find themselves in the hills of Georgia where graves are being discovered and bodies are piling up.  Who can they trust in this small town? I couldn't put this book down because I needed to see what happened next.  There is no good place to stop because the story is non-stop action.    Thank you to Netgalley for my copy of this book.  What a great read. 4.5 stars.
Lisa Gardner is one of those who knows how to write a brutal, chilling, and unputdownable crime thriller, which she shows very well in this book!  It’s fast paced, tense, and absolutely unputdownable.  I feel like she is quite like Karin Slaughter, in being able to put together some twisted webs of crime, which the reader gets to untangle in the pages!  If you enjoy the previous books by Gardner, I’ve only read one before this, I know you’ll enjoy this one.  I know from my previous book it brings some of the favorites back to help solve this brutal and intriguing crime, in a riveting way!  Highly, highly recommend to those who love Gardner, or even twisted crime mystery/thriller books!
Will make sure I buzz it up on all the different platforms!
Gardner wrote a compelling story that didn't let up. It had a fast pace, tight plotting, a topical plot, and fascinating characters, even the secondary ones. I read compulsively, swiping my e-reader's screen eagerly to get to the next page.

When a body is found in Georgia, it links back to a case from years ago and brings together three strong, talented women - FBI Special Agent Kimberly Quincy, Sergeant Detective DD Warren, and serial killer survivor Flora Danes. They establish a task force in conjunction with the town police. Right from the start, bodies new and old begin to pile up. Gardner sprinkles hints and clues and ever so slowly peels back the layers. There are surprises and twists galore. Gardner kept me guessing, and revising my guesses, and then revising them again.

Quincy, Warren and Danes made a fantastic team and their interactions were delightful, in the sense that they respected each other and worked together and not in competition with each other. They are all competent, intelligent, resourceful women. They can take care of themselves but can also accept, to varying degrees, assistance. We met Danes in an earlier book and she has grown so much; no worries, Gardner provides sufficient background so that you can read this as a stand alone. A new character, Bonita, is introduced in this book, and she broke my heart. Her courage was amazing and she has so much potential. I hope we'll see more of her in future books. She was, for me, the star of the book.

The setting, a small, rural, tourist town in Georgia, is as much a character in the story as any of the people. Gardner posits an unusual use of the town that I did have trouble believing. It struck me as highly unlikely and too coincidental. It certainly took small town togetherness and helpfulness to new extremes! Both the geography and the human population as well as a creepy, slightly Gothic atmosphere, add to the story's tension. And if you get past the credibility issue, it's a frightening new take on criminal enterprise.

"When You See Me" was compelling, engrossing, heartbreaking, heart pounding suspense and a fantastic story.
When You See Me was an absolutely captivating piece crime fiction and emotionally moving story as well.

This story combines three main characters, Detective DD Warren, Flora Dane, and Kimberly Quincy, among with a host of other supportive side characters in a complex, layered murder mystery that starts off as a cold case and soon becomes so much more. What’s particularly fascinating is the tie between the dreaded Jacob Ness, of past nightmares, and the current murderous mystery.

The crime investigation takes place in a small Georgia town, and the surrounding rugged and remote mountain region. As the puzzling crime unfolds piece by piece, the stress mounts and the body count increases. The suspense builds throughout the story until its brimming with tension. When I See You is taut with tension and decidedly intriguing. It’s creepy, but also gripping, captivating the reader and keeping you guessing throughout. The story is tragic, but also stirring. It is gritty, but it only makes you want to root for the “good guys” all the more.

The story also carries a component that is unearthly, utterly unique, almost hauntingly beautiful in its description, and also particularly poignant. This adds another dimension to the mystery. In addition to the crime solving, I particularly enjoyed the various relationship dynamics and growth arc of the characters. And the ending...I absolutely loved it! It was so powerful, so well told and truly brought the story full circle. I’d say this is Lisa Gardner’s  best yet, but I’ve only read two, though I will doubtless be reading whatever else she puts out.
Warning. Don’t expect to get anything done once you crack open the latest Lisa Gardner spectacular crime novel. WHEN YOU SEE ME is vintage Lisa Gardner. Gardner once again brings back our favorites crime team and introduces several new ones. Welcome to Georgia and WHEN YOU SEE ME.

DD, Flora and Keith are the team called in to see if once again all roads lead to Jacob Ness. WHEN YOU SEE ME  is an excellent addition to one of my all-time favorite series and authors. You can jump in at any time in the series, but I would whole heartedly suggest starting at the beginning and become part of this amazing crime investigation family. And yes, after working together these brilliant characters become a family where they look out for each other. They know how their minds and hearts work. And their thoughts seem to mesh.

Lisa Gardner brings the crime into stark relief almost immediately. As always listen carefully as Gardner does not waste words. If it’s written it’s important. Watch out. I know that moment when I said oh crap, you’re kidding.

DD is a master of sarcasm and quick wit. As a member of the Boston Police Department she has met her share of nasty bad guys and has been roughed up plenty often. This is no job for a gentile lady a title that certainly doesn’t fit DD. However, DD has a big heart and in WHEN YOU SEE ME that is very apparent.

DD has that certain quality – the je nais cest quoi. It sets her apart from many investigators and she is teamed up with Kimberly who is FBI. In many ways they are used to being in charge and in WHEN YOU SEE ME their individual talents are demanded. There is something rotten in Niche Georgia. Dead bodies – or to be more accurate – skeleton remains are being discovered – rather uncovered.

The question is, is Lisa Gardner anything like DD? If so then it’s no wonder the response is so real and honest. And the reader establishes a rapport and friendship with them.

So in Niche Georgia there is almost a phenomenon occurring. This small town is like so many. Everyone knows everyone and therefore knows their business both personal and professional. Many are related. So sorting out who knows what is a master challenge. Add to that there is no way to know whom to trust. All DD, Kimberly and their imported teams know is that it appears as if there is a killing field right there in Niche. The citizens are appalled at the recent discovery of young women’s bones. They are equally uncomfortable with this invasion of their privacy. Quite a dilemma.

Suffice it to say – nothing is like it seems in Niche. And there is a great deal of evil in their midst. DD and her team came to investigate the likelihood that this is the handy work of Jacob Ness. But there are certain facts that just don’t jive with Flora’s monster and his workmanship. It seems as monsters have a signature of their own and these bodies don’t fit with Jacob’s.

Scary place to visit and seems to be a scarier place to live. Suffice it to say you will never look at small towns again the same way.

WHEN YOU SEE ME is a masterpiece of craziness gone awry. Lisa Gardner has even constructed an unlikely heroine. Conversation between characters is real and honest – both verbally and not. Crime novels should make sure all bases are covered and in WHEN YOU SEE ME has definitely done that. WHEN YOU SEE ME is a book you won’t want to put down and certainly one you shouldn’t miss.
Lisa Gardner consistently delivers in her series, which are always filled with characters you want to cheer for and others that make your skin crawl. This is a book in a series that does not require you to know the whole library’s before it (though it would be helpful to be familiar with those books).
DD Warren, Flora Dane, and Kimberly Quincy are all together and kicking some ass in When You See Me--another journey (hopefully the last) into the mystery of Jacob Ness and the network of people as bad or even worse than he was that he had dealings with. I liked that all three characters worked together in When You See Me, and who doesn't enjoy a creepy small town? (In their mystery/thrillers, not in real life!) My only problem with the book was the clumsy use of the paranormal. It was supposed to stick the landing but just felt awkward, as if someone said, 'hey, great book, but toss in the supernatural!' In some cases it works, here it does not. There's more than enough evil to go around with mankind's deeds in this one.
Hello, Fellow Book Worms and Book Dragons!

Every year before my birthday Lisa Gardner releases her latest novel. It has become a tradition to buy the book and save it to read on my birthday weekend. For the last three years, I have been fortunate enough to receive early copies of Gardner's thrillers thanks to Dutton Books and Netgalley. Now it's time to tell you what I thought of this new suspense novel. Was it the icing on my birthday cake? Let's begin...

When You See Me is the latest thriller by Lisa Gardner. It is published by Dutton Books, an imprint of Penguin Random House. It serves as a sequel book to her popular D.D. Warren and FBI Profiler series of crime novels.

Around every corner lies a dark memory for Flora Dane. Kidnapped as a drunk and foolish teenager, she endured 472 days of terror at the hands of the notorious serial killer, Jacob Ness. Decades later she encountered his descendant in Find Her. In Look For Me, she ventured forward helping other victims of violent crimes. And in Never Tell she was forced to return to her time as a captive in order to solve a murder of a past associate of Ness's. Now Flora is asked by the woman who saved her so many years before to find the remaining victims of her sadistic kidnapper. When the skeletal remains of a missing woman are discovered in a Georgia forest, FBI Special Agent Kimberly Quincy calls in backup. Flora Dane and Sergeant Detective D.D. Warren join Quincy on the task force in Niche, Georgia to comb the forest to find what may be a graveyard of victims of Jacob Ness.

Flora's maybe-boyfriend, Keith Edgar, is also along for the investigation, serving as computer IT and Jacob Ness historian. The task force splits into groups. D.D. and the local sheriff visit the mayor at the B&B he owns with his wife. Flora and Keith interview a reclusive man with a happy trigger finger. And Kimberly heads back into the forests of Georgia to search for more remains. But the individual assignments prove to have shocking outcomes. This town has a dark secret that is may add every member of Kimberly's team to growing list of missing or dead.

When You See Me is Gardner at her best. The insane twists and turns that she offers up to her fans are fast and furious. Pulling together players from several series offers long-time fans, like me, the crossover we have waited for. Ever since D.D. Warren interacted with Kimberly Quincy in Catch Me, I have patiently waited for the duo to come in contact again, which they did last year. This novel elaborates on many of Never Tell's story, continuing the investigation into Jacob Ness. The story was very well-paced and added extra layers to Flora which have progressed over the years in Gardner's novels. There are so many shocking moments in this book that I have to refrain from saying more. Suffice it to say the finale was so good that I had no time to catch my breath.

I read When You See Me in part with the expert narration of actress, Kirsten Potter. Her skillful delivery of four separate character narratives was read with a sense of urgency that heightened the suspenseful moments. She also handled the humor quite well, especially when D.D. tells her teammates what happens if she does not eat. Another great presentation.

When You See me is Lisa Gardner's best novel to date. It is thrilling, funny, and delivers a finale unlike any she has written. Five stars later I am ready to recommend this novel to not only my readers but friends and family.... and random strangers at book stores. This was a great birthday gift that Dutton has given me this year that I am grateful for. Have fun reading this week.

Because there is always time to read,

Xepherus3
A heart stopping thriller that is diabolical and haunting.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

SUMMARY
Boston Detective D.D. Warren, FBI Agent Kimberly Quincy and vigilante Flora Dane join forces to investigate new evidence in a cold case in a small Georgia town. Quincy and D.D. Rely on their considerable skills and experience to crack the most disturbing case of their careers—and Flora must face her own troubled past, in the hope of saving others.

REVIEW
WHEN YOU SEE ME is a heart-stopping thriller that is immediately captivating. Lisa Gardner certainly knows how to grab your attention and not let go.  Her female characters are vulnerable yet strong, courageous and admirable.  They each come alive on the pages of the novel. The story alternates between Kimberly, D.D., Flora, and a young girl who will steal your heart with her fortitude and strength.

The story behind the cold case is diabolical and haunting, but you won’t be able to stop turning the pages.  It is full of action and suspense and the tension is unrelenting.  My favorite character is the young girl who looses her mother at the tender age of five, but knows she can still make a difference.

Author Lisa Gardner is a best-selling author of 21 previous thriller novels including her most recent, Never Tell. Her Detective D. D. Warren novels include Find Her, Fear Nothing, Catch Me, Love You More, and The Neighbor, which won the Best Hardcover Novel from the International Thriller Writers. She lives with her family in New England.

Thanks to Netgalley and Penguin Random House for an advance reading copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Three of Lisa Gardner's popular leads - Detective D. D. Warren, vigilante Flora Dane, and FBI Agent Kimberly Quincy - come together in her new thriller, When You See Me.

The Story opens on a 5-year-old girl, happily cooking with her mamita, until the Bad Man comes. Readers know we will meet her again.

Years later, a body is found. Kimberley sets up a taskforce and pulls in D.D., Flora and Keith.

As always, Gardner gifts her fans an engrossing, exciting, well developed mystery.
As per usual, I could not wait to check out Lisa Gardner’s newest book When You See Me. I’ve read every single novel by Gardner and this one had something the others didn’t. Some of our favorite characters throughout Gardner's other books have come together to solve a crime that has haunted readers through a few of her novels.

This story follows our favorite D.D Warren, Flora Dane, Kimberly Quincy, and many more faces we recognize from previous novels as they investigate a crime scene they think is tied to the late Jacob Ness.

Gardner’s writing style instantly draws me in every time. From the beginning of every book she will instantly draw you in. The way she has written these characters brings them to life in your mind. They are such intricately woven pieces of the story and their backgrounds and personality traits make the story just as much as the crime does.

I loved this story line. The Jacob Ness story has been one she has touched on in a few books and this was like the climax to that story. I was so drawn in to what was going on and who could it be that I just never guessed the ending coming. It was such an exciting ending that I read the last 30% of the book in one sitting. I am always intrigued by how Gardner comes up with these intricate story lines that never, ever get old.

As usual, Gardner blows me away with her impeccable story telling, well developed, interesting characters, and page turning thrills. This book introduced an entirely new town with loads of characters to suspect! Never a boring moment in a Lisa Gardner book. All fans of mystery and thrillers should pick up this book, as well as every book Gardner has ever written.
A mesmerizing read! Characters continue to be a part of the mystery story. Why were young girls murdered and their bodies found years later? A survivor is instrumental in finding the answers! A must read!
When You See Me by Lisa Gardner is the 11th novel in her Detective D.D. Warren series. This is where I jumped on, and I didn’t feel lost at all while reading this story. In fact, I feel like I jumped on at just the right time. A certain story arc really seemed to ramp up in this installment, and I was given enough back story to anticipate it as if I’d been reading the series all along. The reason I requested this book was because I’m a huge fan of Criminal Minds, and the blurb reminded me of the show. I got exactly what I wanted with this read. We delved into the details of the crime with the procedural parts, and it featured a core group of characters that I quickly became attached to. (Which will serve me well when Criminal Minds ends later this year, and I need a fix - I have all the previous books in this series to satiate my need.)

This book was definitely more Thriller than Mystery; the way it was presented had me on the edge of my seat throughout the story, and I never knew who I could trust. I was constantly fearing for the safety of the main characters, and I have to say this book was so fast paced. There were several points of view offered within the story, and because I cared for all of those people, I was always devouring the book to get to the next POV. There was more than one character breakthrough in this book, and even though they came at harrowing times, I was cheering them on. But it wasn’t just the ‘regulars.’ There were parts of this book that were hard to read, because it was that wicked. To think things like this really could go on is devastating. But I don’t want to give too much away; I think all you really need to know is how gripping this book is and how it really could be ripped from today’s headlines. There were a lot of twists and turns and creepy factors with a slightly Gothic feel. And this is the kind of thing that can only happen when depraved people are able to find their tribe on the internet.

I find myself saying this a lot lately, but Mystery/Thrillers are quickly becoming my go to genre. It feels like I can count on whatever I pick up being a good read, and that in itself thrills me. Of course, When You See Me with all the procedural elements was right up my alley, and I’m glad to have discovered a series to go back and read. If you're like me and haven't read the previous books in the series, no worries. You can jump on here and feel like you're in the loop. I couldn’t put this book down, and if you’re a fan of this genre, I don’t think you’ll be able to, either.
When You See Me is a thrilling addition to Lisa Gardner's "Detective D.D. Warren" series!
She unites three of her most well-known characters - Detective D.D. Warren, Flora Dane and Kimberly Quincy as they investigate a mysterious murder from the past that points to a dangerous and horrific present day crime.
Riveting characters and a non-stop, action-packed plot. You won't want to put this book down.
I am thrilled that Lisa Gardner continues to write one of my favourite series!

Thank you to NetGalley and Peguin Group Dutton for an arc of this novel in exchange for my honest review.
This is the 11th book in Gardner’s D.D. Warren series.  The Boston detective is reunited with Flora Dane, who survived being kidnapped by a madman, and Kimberly Quincy, FBI agent.  D.D. and Kimberly are members of a task force that is still piecing together the crimes of Jacob Ness, Flora’s kidnapper (clearly from an earlier book in the series).  The evidence leads them to a small town north of Atlanta where the search for clues actually turns up a skeleton.  Is this related to Ness, or is it something different.  Along with Keith Edgar, technology expert and cop wannabe, the four main characters find more and more evidence of a most sinister cabal in this remote part of Georgia.  While at first I found the pace a little slow, it quickly picks up and builds to a frantic pace as the underlying conspiracy is unveiled.  While this book can be read as a standalone, I believe knowing more about the characters that reappear from earlier novels would have been helpful.  It is still a good read with plenty of tension to keep you turning the pages.  Gardner is a good writer in this genre.  My thanks to Penguin Random House (Dutton) and NetGalley for the ARC of this novel.
When the bones of a woman are found in the mountains in a remote part of Georgia, SSA Kimberly Quincy rounds up Detective D.D. Warren, Flora Dane and Keith to find out if the notorious serial killer, Jacob Ness could’ve been responsible. Flora is the one that got away from Jacob, ending his reign of terror once and for all. If you’ve kept up with the series, you know that Flora has become a sort of self-appointed victims’ advocate/vigilante.  Flora’s helped other women in the past books, trying to fight her own nightmares and demons by bringing down predators.  In her mission, she’s formed a reluctant bond with D.D. who, at the beginning, wasn’t pleased at all by Flora going around the law or completely ignoring it, but they’ve come a long way in the cases they’ve worked together.

Together, all three women with true crime/computer expert, Keith travel to Georgia to investigate, and they all find more than they bargained for. The little town of Niche holds dark secrets and they don’t like this taskforce digging around. Danger, action and shocking revelations kept me on the edge of my seat, and I read When You See Me in one day eager to see how it all turned out!

The last book introduced Keith, a true-crime enthusiast who was obsessed with meeting Flora, I was hopeful, even with his awkward and possibly suspect obsession with Flora, there’d be a romance!  A HEA for Flora, because she totally deserved all the happiness in the world after the nightmare she went through! I wanted her not just “surviving, but thriving”.

A reader might feel intimidated seeing this is book eleven in the D.D. Warren series, but this could be read as a standalone. Past events are touched on enough that anyone picking up When You See Me wouldn’t feel lost. However, I do recommend starting at Find Her, (book eight), where Flora Dane is introduced and working your way up to really enjoy this installment. Flora has come such a long way and I’m thrilled with how her story ended here. That’s not to say I wouldn’t mind more books with Flora. D.D. and Flora have become quite the team! Also, the Detective D.D. Warren series is really good from the beginning and you get to see how she progresses in her personal life while solving perplexing cases.  Sooo good!

Lisa Gardner has been an auto-buy for me even before Goodreads or blogging became a part of my life, and she continues to be now. Every time I finish one of her books, I’m looking to see when I can get the next one. Fans of well-plotted and researched mysteries, with complex, ever-evolving characters will enjoy her books. I’ve done many re-reads, traditionally reading and by audio. The audios are fantastic! Kirsten Potter starts narrating at book three, The Neighbor, in the Detective D.D. Warren series, and she’s amazing! One of my all-time favorite narrators.  I’d skip book one and two, in D.D.’s series, where she’s only a secondary character and begin with book three.