When You See Me

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Dec 2020

When You See Me is a D.D. Warren and Flora Dane story.

Flora knows her abductor is dead....but she has not been able to find the place she was held for so long. She can not move on until she finds this cabin.

D.D. catches a case that she feels Flora can be of help but this case brings back a lot of memories and Flora has doubts about her abilities.

They discover a grave that has only skeletal remains and think now that they found these remains they can dig into the case.........but is this the only remains or will there be more?
This book is better even than Never tell and I loved that book. This book brings all our heroines together for an explosive book. It grabs you from the first page and doesn't let you go. Amazing book, best so far in the series
Notorious serial kidnapper Jacob Ness may be dead, but the number of his victims and the extent of his crimes remain a mystery to law enforcement. Hoping to bring justice for those still unknown and closure to those who loved them, FBI Special Agent Kimberly Quincy and Sergeant Detective DD Warren create a task force to track the digital footprints and connections Ness established in the dark web.

When a decomposed body surfaces in the hills of Georgia, Quincy and DD set out with Flora Dane – Ness’ only-known survivor – and a true-crime buff Keith Edgar. Met with hostility, resentment, and suspicion, it becomes evident that something sinister pumps through the very veins of the town. Isolated and in a place where no one speaks and silence devours, even Quincy and DD might not escape the case unscathed.
When You See Me twists quaint and Southern charm into a backwoods nightmare. Lisa Gardner provides everything that has become synonymous with her name – an edgy and emotionally harrowing tale that will have the reader thinking twice about his/her next trek into the woods.

While a page-turner, it didn’t live up to some of her previous titles. Gardner has spoiled me. Up until now, each of her books that I have read has delivered a completely unique, fresh, and surprising read. However, When You See Me felt like the next chapter in a book I had already read. That doesn’t make it bad, just not great. In many ways, the pattern followed very much that of Gardner’s last book, Never Tell, when DD and Flora joined forces to help a female in need while tracking down Ness’ criminal past.

I especially liked that we witnessed a softer side to DD. She came across more human and less invincible while still remaining strong. A few times, I wondered if DD had finally met her match in a case. It made her more real and connectable.

Reading the previous installments isn’t necessary to follow the story. However, the novel contains a couple big reveals that will connect with a heavier punch for those who have followed the series (especially since Flora’s appearance).

I recommend this book to Quincy, DD, and Flora fans as well as to readers who enjoy a psychological thriller. As with all Gardner’s books, When You See Me contains strong language and mature themes that are not appropriate for young readers.
Lisa Gardner is back again with another great thriller!!! A thriller it really is! You won't want to put this book down once you've read the first Chapter. Like many of her other books, we read the perspectives of many characters, giving a fuller perspective of the plot. This time Flora, D.D. Warren and FBI Agent, Kimberly Quincy are in Georgia investigating an old murder that may be related to Jacob Ness. This is where Flora uncovers  another detail of Jacob.
Lisa Gardner never fails to write suspenseful stories with likeable characters. It's obvious she has done copious  research and it is very readable and enjoyable. Am looking forward to the next D. D. Warren/Flora Dane adventure.
Another twisty-tunry book by Lisa Gardner.  I love these characters!  For this one, it really helps if you've read the previous books and have some background, especially on Flora...she has to face a past demon that really defines who she is...
In this 11th installment of the DDWarren series LisaGardner brings together again Flora Dane , Kimberly Quincy and DDWarren to head a task force in a small town in Georgia where a skeletal body has been found by hikers.Jacob Ness had to have perfected his skills somewhere and they think it might have been here.This book grabs you from the first page and didn’t let go until the end.This small town has a super creepy vibe to it. You can feel there is something evil lurking around every corner. Lisa Gardner doesn’t know how to write a bad book. She definitely isn’t afraid of tabu subjects. There are always lots of twists and you’ll never guess who the villain is. Another 5 star edition from the queen of suspense.
Spoilers Ahead

This was a great surprise to get all three of Gardner's characters together- Kimberley, D.D. and Flora. It was interesting to see the dynamics between them even though we have seen bits and pieces of them together before.

Okay, about this latest adventure...... I have mixed feelings about this book. It's been a while since I've read a book by Lisa Gardner and I think I'm up to date on the latest info regarding Flora's situation, but I'm not completely sure. I may have missed a book or two...I'll need to go look.  I've already mentioned that I liked the dynamics of the trio and am always interested in the mystery/ thriller aspect of a story. When all was said and done though, it just struck me as "Seriously......?" I enjoyed the "Who Dunnit" aspect of the book and I'm hoping that little by little we are going to completely unravel the entire background surrounding Jacob Ness. We get a big portion with this book and I liked the amount of background we discover with this latest book.

Where I am having a bit of difficulty is the amount of  blatant criminal activity that is thrown at us and even though I know this is fiction and in the Thriller genre, it still pushes the boundaries of believability. When all is said and done, how many deaths are discovered? I haven't even attempted to figure it out. Let's see - the bodies from years ago - at least 9 or 10. Murders that occur after the FBI's arrival? Let's see....I'm thinking around 9 or more, along with the attempted murder of most of the FBI task force. What were they thinking? How in the world did the bad guys think they would get away with this? Did the head bad guy seriously think that he could hang a tortured mutilated dead body in a tree outside of the FBI's motel and there wouldn't be any consequences? I just can't see what the desired outcome was. Anyway, it just seemed a bit excessive. Other than that, I really liked everything else. There was a story arc that helped to continue an existing longer running arc with the Ness situation and it was a bit unique to have the POV of Bonita. There was a bit of a supernatural element in there as well, but not too much to take away from the story. All in all, it was great to see the growth of all three women - Kimberley with Mac and her girls, D.D. with her husband and Jack (and the puppy) and Flora with things progressing with Keith. It was nice to see their lives moving forward in the middle of all of the madness.
Maybe 3.5 stars because of the fantastic plot, but still a favorite. Lisa Gardner's When You See Me brings together three capable women.

from description: FBI Special Agent Kimberly Quincy and Sergeant Detective D. D. Warren have built a task force to follow the digital bread crumbs left behind by deceased serial kidnapper Jacob Ness. When a disturbing piece of evidence is discovered in the hills of Georgia, they bring Flora Dane and true-crime savant Keith Edgar to a small town where something seems to be deeply wrong. What at first looks like a Gothic eeriness soon hardens into something much more sinister...and they discover that for all the evil Jacob committed while alive, his worst secret is still to be revealed. Quincy and DD must summon their considerable skills and experience to crack the most disturbing case of their careers—and Flora must face her own past directly in the hope of saving others.

Although I enjoyed the D.D. Warren series before Flora Dane was added, Flora Dane has added an edge to the plots. D.D. and Flora provide a study in contrast: D.D. a dedicated law enforcement officer provides a balance to Flora's vigilante approach. The two women have gradually come to work well together despite their differences. I'm also glad to see Keith Edgar, the true crime and computer expert introduced in the previous book, join this investigation. By creating new intriguing characters and including them in new books, Gardner keeps fresh possibilities for plot lines.

Read in Oct.; blog review scheduled for Dec. 8.

NetGalley/Penguin Group
Police Procedural. Jan. 28, 2020. Print length: 400 pages.
All the agents are running ragged in this one - all because of one man! Jacob!
Of course, Kimberly Quincy is not just an FBI agent she's a justice seeker.
D.D. Warren our detective and protector.
Which leaves us with Flora Dane whose more than a survivor and warrior as she's also a mentor.
There's so much more than an eye for an eye as we wait, hope, pray for all involved.
In fact, the young girl Bonita captures the heart and soul of so many because she's unable to speak yet she can draw and interpret meaning.
She knows the truth and those involved from the special agents to detectives know that time is not on their side.
With the clock ticking the heart palpitates and the evidence slowly trickles in but man when Walt comes into play it's a whole new ball game.
Is there a serial predator on the loose?
Can Flora's dark past bring closure for Bonita and her current situation?
Will Jacob Ness pay for his crimes?
What is up with the deaths, donors, surgeries and the entire premise surrounding them all?
WoW!
Skeletal remains, ATV's, Bed and Breakfasts>>what on Earth is going on and how will it all come together in the end?
This is truly unique in that this thriller ends with some love and who knew thrillers can end on that note.
So, I'll leave it there but suffice to say you don't want to miss this one!
I could not put this book down!  Lisa Gardner did what she does best and gave us a riveting story with When You See Me;.  I'm always happy to read more about D.D. Warren, Flora Dane, and Kimberly Quincy.  I would love to read more about Bonita and her progress in the future.
As a fan of just about everything, ok, everything, that Lisa Gardner has written, I was over the moon to get the ARC for this. Not only did I get to spend time with Detective DD Warren again, Flora was back along with Kimberly Quincy. I mean that right there is the making of an amazing book. This was edge of my seat thrilling and I read it within one day. I could not put this down. Jacob Ness, even though long dead, is back and making waves. As they dig deeper into these new crimes that seem to have a connection to him, what are they going to find? What they do will shock you. As soon as this book is released I urge you to run, not walk, to pick it up. You won't be disappointed..
I absolutely loved this book! It is a definite page turner. I couldn’t put it down. I was worried that with so many major characters that I wouldn’t be able to get “attached”, but I loved them all! This was my first D.D. Warren read and I am thrilled that it’s part of a series. I’ll definitely be reading more!

Thank you for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for my honest opinion.
Detective D. D. Warren, Flora Dane, and FBI Agent Kimberly Quincy, three of Gardner's strong female characters, join forces to investigate skeletal remains found in the wood in Georgia, with a possible link to Flora past kidnapping by Jacob Ness.
Thank you to the publishers @duttonbooks and @netgalley for this free copy in exchange for my honest review.

I haven’t read a good police procedural in awhile and this one just inspired me to pick up more! It’s very evident that Lisa Gardner did her research for this novel and it only made it that much better. She was able to write in such detail about many subjects like FBI profiling, task forces, geographical locations and even forensic details! Details like this make reading 10x more enjoyable in my opinion; makes it feel more realistic.

The book has multiple POV’s: 3 amazing women and a mysterious child. I want to go in depth on what this book was about, but I went into it blind and I feel that was the best way to go, especially for this book! This book is apart of a series but can easily be read as a stand alone. In fact, this was my first Lisa Gardner book and won’t be my last! It was captivating from page one, fast paced and completely unputdownable. Not to mention, the characters were easy to care about! Overall, a fantastic read I would highly recommend!

Rate: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️💫 (4.5/5)
When You See Me
Lisa Gardner
January 28, 2020

Years ago Flora Dane was taken captive.  For over 100 days she was kept in a basement of a cabin.  When her captor was gone on his trucking runs, Flora was kept in a wooden coffin with air piped in.  When he came home he would feed her then rape and persecute her until he was content with his actions. Back in the coffin she would go.  Days, weeks went by with no rescue.  By some miracle, Detective D.D. Warren had been on the case and eventually found Flora locked away in the cabin.
When You See Me is a continuation of this story. Flora’s story continues on via working with a case that D.D. needs her help with.  FBI Agent Kimberly Quincy needs their help solving a series of murders that have been discovered in the hills of Georgia. This story is inventive and really challenging.  It was another of Gardner’s books that keep us in suspense, wondering what happened and why.  Flora’s captor, Jacob Ness was again part of this mystery despite his death years before.  It is an excellent read.  If you read Flora’s story it is a terrific continuation but if not Gardner explains enough about Flora’s pain and suffering during and since due to horrific memories.
When You See Me by Lisa Gardner will be published on January 28, 2020 by Dutton. If you are a mystery fan it is a great selection.
Fans of Lisa Gardner will enjoy this...the whole gang is working together in this one. Could be read as a stand-alone if you aren’t familiar with everyone here. There is enough explanation to fill you in on what you need to know.
This is the eleventh in the Detective D.D. Warren series and it brings together players from past novels including former victim Flora Dane, FBI agent Kimberly Quincy, and computer savant Keith as they travel to Georgia to investigate the discovery of human bones deep in the woods.  As they delve into this mystery, all is not what it seems in this bucolic small town and more gruesome revelations are uncovered.

Told from different viewpoints, the plot moves along quickly as does the evil.

This is my second in a row of this series and once again I found it engrossing.  It is well written with strong continuing character development.  Some of the twists and turns were an easy guess, but that did not detract from my enjoyment of the story. This books works well as a standalone, but for more background on the primary actors, go back to the introduction of Flora Dane in Find Me followed by subsequent books featuring her.
Intense drama in this recent installment of Lisa Gardiner's D.D. Warren book series! Fast paced, action driven, and emotionally charged , this book had it all. The story is told through four strong determined females, on a mission to right the wrongs of the past and present. Lisa Gardiner never disappoints, this novel was captivates from the first chapter.
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for the advanced copy of the book.
#netgalley
#whenyouseeme
Another great addition to the D.D. Warren series. Equal parts police procedural and psychological thriller, Lisa Gardner never fails to entertain with her fast moving plots, fully developed characters and surprising twists. Highly recommended