Cover Image: Among The Ashes

Among The Ashes

There is a lot to like about this book. The story is intriguing and the characters are interesting, to be sure. I think that this genre (Crime Thriller) is probably one of the most difficult to write, and write well. In the end, for me, there were several issues that brought down my overall impression of the book.

First, there were several incidental inconsistencies in the descriptiveness that bothered me. In one passage the weather and the action didn't add up. In another, an obvious investigative measure never happened- and it was the first thing I thought of, when the plot line was introduced. Then there was the sketched-out, but not fleshed out finale, tying everything together. It just didn't add up to me, satisfactorily. And as interesting as the characters are, only Caleb is fully drawn out.

The main character is gay-- and much of the plot surrounds his (Caleb's) romantic life, yet I don't consider this a romance at all, and there is no hint at any steamy interactions among any of the characters.

There is enough intrigue to keep the pages turning. I just wish there had been a little more detail and better editing.

I received a copy from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Title provided via Netgalley for an honest review.

First things first - I love story plots like this - opposite ends of the same world with a frienemies to lovers type feel. That is absolutely something I really love, especially when it comes to law enforcement type backgrounds. That is what sparked my interest. However, and most unfortunately, My interest was lost the first page. I abhor present tense writing and second person point of view. Heck I'd even settle for first person and I really don't like that either, but second is an automatic no for me. That is also in part of why it took me forever to review this because it took me forever to read. I almost didn't even want to because of the tense. That says a lot about how the author can draw the reader into the story and for me I was disconnected from the get go.

Once I was able to get into the story, ages later, the characters where likable, but the execution of the story in second person just soured the entire book for me and I really couldn't get into it, even with the twists and romance.
A very good read. I haven’t read anything by this author before, but I will certainly be following them now.
The writing was stiff and wooden, the choice of present tense added nothing. Toss in head hopping plus forced and artificial dialogue that did nothing to convey appropriate emotions for any given character or scenario. Character actions and reactions had no basis in reality. The suspense part of the plot might have hung together if it had stopped at a particular point, except it went completely off the rails and passed the boundaries of realism. I borrowed through KU in hopes better formatting would help. It did not.

*An ARC was provided by the author, publisher or a promotional service and I have chosen to publish a fair and honest review* #NetGalley
I couldn't really get into this book. Part of it was the fact that it was written in present tense, which is just a personal issue of mine. The romance didn't really work for me either. I lot of characters seemed to change personality instantly with no real warning. It just wasn't for me. I will say the story kept me guessing, but since I couldn't really get into I didn't care that much about the outcome I suppose.
This was quite a frustrating read. Although I had an idea who the killer was it did keep changing. I wasn't sure I liked the main character he was a bit sappy and constantly crying. I also wasn't sure about the end response from one of the constables but I did finish it so clearly there was something that kept pulling me back however I am glad I've finished it.
Thanks to Netgalley for the complimentary copy in exchange for an honest review.

This story was full on mystery/ suspense thriller. Once I started, I couldn't put it down and finished in one sitting.

Caleb's a criminal defense attorney and deals with some unsavory characters. He's also dealing with updated news on his husband who disappeared two years ago - remains have been found and this could be the answer and closure he's been looking for.

He's tried to move on and make a life for himself, but then he's threatened by goons and his current boyfriend disappears, and events seem to be repeating themselves.

I felt really bad for what Caleb was going through, but for a top defense attorney, he was pretty oblivious to what was going on in his own life. There were a lot of good twists and turns, and I was surprised by who the murderer ended up to be.

The mystery and police procedure were really well written, but I wanted more from the relationships between the characters. Also, the ending was left a little too open for my tastes.