Single

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 25 Nov 2019

3.5 star rating.

This story packs quite a serious punch at the end that I did not see coming. That's why I gave it 3.5 star rating. The twists and turns this story takes are wicked!!! (It just takes forever to get to them).

Here was my issue and why I rounded down to 3 stars versus up to 4 stars. For me, the story took too long to get rolling, for the meat of the mystery to be revealed and suck me in as a reader. Now once it was, I had a hard time putting it down. But for me that was the last fourth of the book. Also, the main character Darcy just flat out drove me up the wall. In many stories this can work for the benefit of the story and add an extra layer. Not the case for me in this one. Many times I almost put the book down because Darcy was so annoying. I am glad I didn't, that crazy ending makes the book worth reading.

Is this a good storyline? Yes. Would I recommend it? Yes. Will I check out other books by this author? Yes. Did I love this book? No. It was a good story, but not a great one.

My thanks to K.L. Slater, Bookouture and Netgalley for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
My thanks to Netgalley and Bookouture for a copy of Single by K L Slater for an honest review.

I’ve really enjoyed all of K L Slaters previous books, and this one doesn’t disappoint.I love her style of writing and could have easily read this book in one session I couldn’t wait to see how things would turn out !
 It was full of twists and turns just as a good psychological novel should be.
I will be whole heartedly  recommending this book.
Excellent read. Full of twists and turns. Slater makes you wonder what really goes on behind smiles and ideal lives. Just when you think you figured it out, wow, another twist!
I love books by KL Slater. The writing is good and keeps you engaged. It starts off a little slow but manages to keep you engaged all the same. It picks up pace in the second half and from there on you want to rush to read it. Great read and highly recommended.
This was a great thriller by a new author for me. Chilling & intriguing.! I didn’t want to put this one down. Single grabbed me from the beginning and didn’t let go.. it had many twists and turns. I I enjoyed this book by K.L. Slater and will look for more of her titles. Pick this one up and you won’t be sorry.!
What would you do to protect yourself , your sanity and your children? Who can you trust? I love a good psychological thriller. An emotional rollercoaster for sure!

Thank you to NetGalley , Bookouture and the author for this ARC / a widget I received in exchange for my honest review..
Single was another strong offering from K.L. Slater.  When I requested this book  it was solely on the fact that I enjoy the author. I found the book to be a bit slow going in the beginning and it did take me a while to get in to it. I felt that they character switching was a bit confusing at times, but understand the purpose as it added to the story. Once I was about 60% in I was totally involved in the book and wanted to know the conclusion. In the end I was not disappointed.

Thank you to the punisher and Netgalley for copy of the book in exchange for a review.
I do really love K.L. Slater books!

The writing, and the characters, just pulls me in from the start. This book was by far the craziest one!

Everyone in this story is hiding things. Some of the characters aren’t bad people but figuring out who is quite the challenge. Every time I thought I had some grip on what was happening the rug would be pulled out from me again.

I loved the way the viewpoint would change allowing the story to expand and unfold. This one kept me on the edge of my seat and was hard to put down. What a ride, look forward to the next

Thanks to NetGalley, the author and Bookouture for a copy in exchange for a review.
I couldn’t put it down and the last quarter of the book at me so shocked that my fiancé wanted to know if I was ok. So many twists, some of which I really didn’t see coming.
Darcy is a single mom who has had a difficult time coping with the loss of her husband, Joel and the secrets that were revealed right before his passing. She is caught in a web of betrayal and obsession and is still trying to get over it even four years later. She relies on her in laws to watch her children and help her along her path and making decisions. She has basically allowed then to control her life and be the only ones in it along with her children. She thinks that she is finally ready to move on when she meets a dreamy doctor, George who saves her son’s life when he has an asthma attack. Things move increasingly fast and seem too good to be true. Darcy and George both have their own secrets and they are threatening to destroy her new relationship. She is being told many things and is having trouble separating the truths from the lies. Will she be able to make a new life with George or are the secrets of his past too much to handle?
The characters were all so believable and I had trouble figuring out who was telling the truth and the author kept you in the dark on some things til the end which changed the whole perspective on this book! Highly recommend but make sure you start it early because you won’t want to put it down!
Thank you Netgalley for the ARC in exchange for my honest review!
Quite a good thriller although I found it a little predicatable in places.   Couple of good twists but I won't say more than that.
I dnf this title. I really liked this author’s earlier works but the last few weren’t for me. The description failed to meet my expectations.
Chilling. Exciting. Thrilling.
Single will grip you right from the start, leaving you unsure of which way to turn. What would you do to protect your sanity? Your children? Having never been in this particular situation, it's hard to say. One thing's for sure, K.L. Slater has provided, without a doubt, a 5-star quality read!

I was hooked right from the prologue. We meet Darcy, a single mother to two young boys just trying to do the best she can in an impossible situation. She's forever thankful for the support received from her in-laws in the aftermath of her sons' father's death. So thankful that she's willing to ignore their overbearing ways out of respect for that support.

Years later Darcy ends up falling hard and fast for the charming off-duty doctor and single father George who saved her youngest son's life after a mishap on a rope bridge. Not long after they're combining families. Now they're a seemingly happy couple who vacation with their three kids and live in a beautiful house, with a housekeeper. What more could one want?

Soon things start to go downhill as Darcy learns of George's obsessive ex, Opal. Is she the one sending funeral flowers, vandalizing her car and following their every move? Just how far might she go?

Some might say that what Darcy and George share is love at first sight, others may say it was simply a case of the wrong time, wrong place. I personally think they fell a little too fast for comfort. Isn't this often the case with charming, deceiving partners though? Slater lets you be the judge as she takes you on a whirlwind adventure with psychological thrills you never could've imagined.

I'll admit, I went into this story thinking that I had it all figured out. I've never been so happy to be so wrong. Sure, a few details panned out the way I thought (i.e. the picture-perfect new boyfriend not being so perfect), but mostly I was thrown for a loop at every twist and turn. This author’s way with words and ability to flawlessly switch between characters kept me swiping away at my Kindle. I was anxious to get to the bottom of the story. I needed answers and oh did I get them!

I recommend this book to anyone looking for an edge of your, seat stay-up-all-night read. Why? Because the suspense was just that good and I did just that!
Single mother Darcy falls for George (a doctor) when her son has an asthma attack in the park and he comes to the rescue.
George is a single father of a little girl. Darcy has two sons to raise when her husband dies she is helped by her in-laws.
Darcy and George are both in the same boat in more ways than they know. Darcy has a woman in her life that she doesn’t want there.l and George has a stalker. Can they get past all these obstacles to get their happy ever after.
Great read
Thanks NetGalley
Great thriller, full of twists. It took me a white to get into it but it got better with every page.
Darcy is shocked to discover her perfect man and the brilliant dad to her kids has been leading a double life. Neither woman suspected that Joel was cheating; even when he was on his deathbed, he managed to keep them apart.
Now 4 years later, Joel’s family are still keeping quiet about the other woman but Darcy suspects that the mysterious Daniela is trying to ruin her life. Darcy begins a new relationship with George and this puts pressure on her support network of Joel’s parents and sister. But George is keeping secrets of his own and possibly has his own stalker…
There are plenty of clues throughout the book that there are secrets being kept by many of the different characters. As human beings we can identify with Darcy in her grief and as parents understand her fears for her children. The betrayal she has suffered as a result of Joel’s actions and the constant feeling of being undermined by his family make her vulnerable and we take her side.
There is so much emotion in this book and it is easy to see mulitple perspectives. Darcy’s determination to protect her children and her in-laws’ need to remain part of the the children’s lives. As a previously single mum myself, I could completely understand Darcy’s trepidation about starting a new relationship and the anxiety about trusting someone again after being let down.
The plot was completely compelling and I think this is down to the tension in the narrative and the emotion of Darcy. To be perfectly honest, the ending was a little unbelievable for me. I found it to be just one twist too many. However, this did not spoil my overall enjoyment of K.L. Slater’s latest psychological thriller.
A 5 star read for me!  Thrills were coming from every page in this one, along with chills, and then the shocks!  Very well written, roller coaster ride of a book, which I’m sure most will find unputdownable!  Grab your copy today!  Don’t want to miss this one!
Will make sure I buzz it up!
I received an ARC copy of this book from Net Galley in exchange for my honest opinion of it. Until I got to the end, I would have given this book five stars. However, even though it really kept me interested through almost the whole book, I felt that the ending just had too much going on and was really confusing. In fact, I was thinking about it later after I had finished the book, just trying to figure out each person's part in the end. Darcy, the main character, was very likeable and had many bad things happening to her and her prince charming seemed to be too good to be true.
Single is a fab psychological thriller that had twists and turns aplenty.
Darcy is a single mother to two boys, she has had a rough few years, losing her boys father, Joel to a terrible illness. At the start of the book we get the background on Darcy’s life and how after Joel’s death she struggled to manage so her in laws had custody of her boys until she was well again. But life is now on the up she has met George, a doctor at the local hospital, who is also a single parent after his daughters mother died. Darcy thinks life is on the up as it’s a whirlwind romance and before she knows it she has left her rented house and with her boys has moved into George’s massive house. Alas not everything is a fairytale and things start turning sour from the moment she moves in with strange things happening and the feeling she’s being followed.
This was a great twisty thriller that leads you down a few garden paths before the reveal, I half guessed it but that didn’t deflect from my enjoyment of another great book by K.L.Slater.
I would like to thank Netgalley and Bookouture for this ARC I received in exchange for an honest review.
I mean, bloody hell! You know you’re in for a wild ride with a K. L. Slater story but this one…phew – emotional rollercoaster doesn’t even begin to cover it!

Single is a smart, clever and complex book, with lots of different strands to keep track of but which come together with the force of Miley Cyrus on her wrecking ball.

There’s a feeling of unease, menace and jeopardy as the book progresses and at one point I was so invested in the story that when one particular lie was uncovered it felt so shockingly real it made my blood run cold and I had to have five minutes of quiet time to recover. 🙂

Single is full of clever twists and by the end I was flipping back and forth between who I did and didn’t trust so much that I got whiplash. It’s also clever in the way little nuggets of information are dropped throughout the story which don’t fully make sense at the time and you forget about them but by the end you’re like, “Aha!”

Basically your take-homes from this are: people can be horrible and K. L. Slater writes a hell of a book! Whether this is your first or you’re a long-time fan, you will want to get your hands on a copy of Single ASAP.
Another satisfying psychological thriller from this author.

If your looking for a book full of suspense, suspicion, revenge, obsession, paranoia,  to name but a few then you won't be disappointed.
The beginning of this book gripped me and I felt I was in for a really good read, sadly I just became confused and disappointed in the ending.

Many thanks to the publishers and netgalley for the advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.