Single

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 25 Nov 2019

Thanks to the publishers for sharing this one. It's not my favourite of KL Slater's books, as I found it a bit melodramatic, but it was a quick read. My full review appears on Weekend Notes.
Single by K. L. Slater is a thriller about a single mother struggling to deal with the loss and betrayal of her late husband and raise her two sons on her own without the interference of her in laws. After an incident, Darcy meets George, a doctor, who seems too good to be true. Their relationship develops rapidly and she moves into his house. However, George's stalker starts following her around and she thinks her and her sons' lives might be in danger. Are there secrets he's withholding from her?

I enjoyed this book. The main character Darcy was a bit of a pushover. The other characters were underdeveloped and annoying. There were some switch of point of views between chapters, which I thought unnecessary. There were also flashbacks to the past. I felt like the flashbacks were unnecessary and did not add to the plot. Overall, I didn't find the book outstanding but it was an entertaining read for me. However, it was like the usual mystery/thriller.

Thank you to Netgalley, the author K.L. Slater, and the publisher Bookouture, for providing me with an ARC, in exchange for an honest, unbiased review.
This was so good until it wasn't. I was enthralled with the different story lines throughout the book.  Character development was great in that I wanted to know about them, their histories, their connections.  I should have been concerned when the author did a fliparoo on who the main antagonist really was. After that it all went downhill for me. There were three big, main relationships to sort through which was fine.... but then they were all flung together and that was too much for me. It became comical as to how a main character could dupe so many. I am intentionally leaving this vague as not to create spoilers.  Many will like this development of plot, it was just a bit far-fetched for me.  5 stars up until 80% read.  3 stars afterward. Thank you to Bookouture and Netgalley for the advanced copy of this.  I will read this author again because the bulk of this book was very good.
Here's an author I highly recommend. Her books are just Brilliant and a joy to read. So when her new book came out to read I just had to cancel everything for that day, and sit in my comfy reading place and dive into her lastest book, Single by K.L. Slater.
This is the tenth book from Kim and WoW, I was not wrong..........this book was just amazing and had everything in for a good psychological thriller. Its full of twists and turns and will have you sitting on the edge of your seat. I was hooked within the first few pages.
You'll never get bored with her books they just get better and better.

Have you ever felt "I keep feeling like I’m being watched – dropping the boys off at school, choosing wine at the supermarket – but when I turn around there’s nobody there…....."

Darcy is a single mum to her two sons Harrison who is ten and Kane who is six. Darcy is still in mourning after the death of her loving husband and father; Joel to cancer. Darcy had a breakdown and her mother and father in law Brenda and Leonard, plus, Joel's sister Steph and her husband Dave stepped in to help with her sons while Darcy gets better and is well enough to look after her boys again.
Darcy finally get custody of son's again and is looking forward with their life together as a family without their father. Darcy takes her sons to the local park for a run around and her youngest son Kane falls from the rope bridge and suffers a bad asthma attack. She holds her young son in her arms and cries for help. A total stranger comes to their rescue and saves her son.
Luckily he was in the park with his young daughter Romy. His name is George, he's good looking and very successful and works at the City Hospital he is a consultant surgeon in Urology.
Kane is taken to the City Hospital by ambulance and is checked over by the doctors and nurses in A&E then discharged.

Darcy can't thank George enough and pops back to the City Hospital with a Thank you card Thanking George for all he done.

Things happen between them and they become close and feelings become mutual......Everything is moving too quickly. George invites Darcy and her son's to move in with him. (Who couldn't say no to this amazing offer.) George's house is just amazing and he even has a house keeper. Whilst Darcy and her sons are settling in, in this amazing home she senses something is not right, after she receives a bunch of flowers with a chilling message. When, she asks George about this, he tells her about an obsessed ex-girlfriend of his and she has always tries to ruin his relationships with other people who get close to him and Romy.

Does she believe him?

Darcy has a bad feeling someone is watching her and her sons.

A few days later his ex girlfriend turns up at her son's football match. Darcy finally meets Opal.

Who can Darcy trust?

Confused and doesn't know where to turn, Darcy needs to protect her sons!

WoW......What a book! It was brilliant and I loved it.

I highly recommend this book. Come to think of it all her books by Kim. But this one was her best yet!

Big Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for my advanced copy of this book to read. All opinions are my own and are in no way biased
Darcy on the scene is struggling after the death of her husband Joel.  Her two sons were the most important people in her life, and as her mental health deteriorates, Joel's parents get custody of them whilst she underwent treatment.

When she is eventually better she welcomes her son's home and life continues.  Brenda and Leonard are still a large part of the children's lives, and she realises that they always will be.  They are not willing to talk about Daniela Frost who appears to have had a relationship with Joel when he was away with work.

Darcy feels that she is being watched and criticised constantly so when Kane collapses at the park, his inhaler is not in his bag,  She knew that she had put it in the bag.  As someone rang an ambulance, George Mortimer appeared on the scene and was able to help.  He is a consultant in the urology department at the local hospital.

Darcy is so grateful and delivers a thank you card to his place of work.  George has a daughter, Romy, and is also on his own after his wife's death.  Her sons Kane and Harrison appear to get on well with Romy and George.

Darcy's rented house is being sold – the buyer is Daniela Frost. She must act to save face now that she knows what is happening.

The wonderful George is not what he seems.  There is nothing specific that Darcy can put her finger on, but things are not right.  He is hiding something and it eventually all comes out.

I chose to read this book and all opinions in this review are all my own and completely unbiased.  My thanks to NetGalley for this opportunity.
Fast paced thriller told from the point of view of Darcy who is a widowed mother of two young sons. When Darcy meets the handsome doctor George who is also a widow raising a young daughter, Darcy feels like she has hit the jackpot. Darcy has a complicated past with various mental problems, when she starts feeling like someone is watching her and her boys she realizes something is wrong with her new perfect relationship. Enter Darcy’s overprotective and meddlesome in-laws and her problems multiply. Well written domestic thriller with a lot of things going on.
Another gripping story from one of my favourite authors. This one is so complex with twists and turns galore. Nothing or no-one is as they seem. Highly recommended
With thanks to Bookoutre and NetGalley for the ARC.

Darcy is a single mum of two boys. When one of them has a Asthma attack in a local park a passing doctor assists in helping out and helps save her sons life.

They soon get together and start a relationship.

But no one in this story is as they seem.
Darcy's past is mixed up and she has spent time in hospital due to severe mental health issues following the death of the boys father. She is also under the control of her in laws. The Doctor has a dodgy looking past with lots of unanswered questions. He appears to have a dangerous stalker that threatens their budding relationship.
All the way through this exceptionally well written book, the sense of foreboding grows. You know there is big trouble on the way, you're just not sure where it's going to come from. It could easily be from 3 or 4 sources. It keeps you guessing all the way with a few nice deceptions and twists to keep you guessing all the way to the end.

All in all an excellent read.
EXCERPT: The simple fact of the matter is that she doesn't belong with him. She's getting in the way and acting so selfishly.

Her two sons are just pawns in the game. Defenceless boys who are being dragged along against their will.

Someone has got to help those children. Even if one of them gets hurt in the process.

Collateral damage...that's what they call it, isn't it?

ABOUT THIS BOOK: When single mother Darcy’s son falls from a rope bridge at a local playground, life stands still. She clutches his small, limp body, frozen, until a pair of strong hands push her aside, and she watches as George, a local doctor, saves her son’s life.

Darcy doesn’t know who to trust, but she’s starting to suspect that, whatever the truth, she might have put her beloved boys into terrible danger…

MY THOUGHTS: I have always had a hit and miss relationship with Slater's work, admittedly more hit than miss, but this one was definitely a miss for me. Usually her stories just flow, but this one didn't. I failed to get immersed in it and actually wound up skimming much of the the latter part of the book because I just didn't care any more and wanted it to be over.....

I felt like I was being told a story, a highly improbable and far-fetched one at that. I have a fairly good tolerance for improbable and far-fetched, after all I do read and love fiction, but this just went a step too far. I didn't feel any tension, any suspense, just head-shaking disbelief.

The characters were very one-dimensional and the plot, particularly towards the end, ludicrous. This could have been an absolutely brilliant book, but it falls well short of that mark. I know I am in the minority here, but this was a very disappointing read for me.

Reading is a personal and subjective experience, and what appeals to one may not please another. If you enjoyed the excerpt from Single by K.L. Slater, and the plot outline appeals, please do go ahead and read it. You may well love it, as many other people have.

#Single #NetGalley

DISCLOSURE: Thank you to Bookouture via NetGalley for providing a digital ARC of Single by K.L. Slater for review. All opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own personal opinions.

For an explanation of my rating system, please refer to my Goodreads.com profile page or the about page on sandysbookaday.wordpress.com

This review and others are also published on Twitter, Amazon and my webpage
KL Slater is a go to author for me when I'm craving a clever and fast paced mystery and "Single" did not disappoint on that front. Yes, it's not the most original story, but very gripping and a good read for a gray winter's week.
Thanks to Netgalley and Bookouture for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Darcy is a widow with 2 sons. One day in the park, her son has an asthma attack and a handsome doctor saves his life. Darcy becomes involved with the doctor, who seems to be the perfect man, but weird things start happening.

3.5 stars.

I had a hard time getting into this one. It took me a full week to get through it. It was all just so rosy at the beginning and that was sort of boring. This book used a first person narration where Darcy kept eluding to secrets and things we didn’t know and wouldn’t end up finding out until later and I find that annoying. I prefer a book where we uncover the truth along with the narrator. But, I have to say the end of this book got crazy and I did not sniff out who was up to what before it was all revealed, so that was a positive.
Darcy , a single mom ,has a full time job managing her 2 boys.At the park when one of her boys falls from  the rope bridge a local doctor off duty George comes to the rescue. George is also a single parent and soon Darcy moves in with him. After moving in though strange things start happening which George blames on his obsessed ex-girlfriend Opal but  Darcy starts to wonder if she made a mistake moving in so fast

Single is another great psychological thriller by K.L.Slater.Like her other novels it has a  fast paced plot, great characters and a story that builds up with unpredictable twists and turns.Not one of my favorites by her as the ending felt a little far fetched but still enjoyable and cannot wait to read the next one !

I would like to thank Bookouture & NetGalley for providing an ARC of this book in exchange for my honest and fair review.
Wow! This book grabs at you from the first page and never let’s go. An interesting thriller about a woman who on her husbands death bed finds out he has another life with another woman and her world falls apart. After recovering from a mental breakdown and finally getting custody back of her children she finally starts to move on an a random meeting in a park with a dark handsome doctor sends her world spiralling. Is she loosing her mind or being stalked and why does her partner not seem to want to do anything about it?
Some of the Phsychological aspect of this book doesn't ignite my thrill at reading for this kind of genre. In fact, I do find it a little bit slow paced and it has some unnecessary. I cannot say that I do not like the book, but I can't tell if I like it either.
When single mother Darcy’s son falls from a rope bridge at a local playground, life stands still. She clutches his small, limp body, frozen, until a pair of strong hands push her aside, and she watches as George, a local doctor, saves her son’s life. George is a single parent too, and with his twinkling hazel eyes, easy charm, and lack of wedding band is almost too good to be true, but coffee becomes lunch, lunch becomes dinner, and soon they can’t go an evening without seeing each other. When he invites her to move into his beautiful home with its sprawling garden for her boys, Darcy doesn’t hesitate. But as Darcy is settling in, she receives a bunch of flowers with a chilling message. George says they’re from an obsessed ex-girlfriend, Opal, and days later Opal turns up at Darcy’s son’s football match. She claims to have shocking information that could threaten George’s custody of his daughter.

This is a thriller that is all about the characters. We start with a very clear, emotional plot, although we do not know all the facts it is clear something horrendous is happening. Fast forward, and we face Darcy and her family in a stronger position, but then George comes along and the plot really gets going.

Why three stars? I was gripped by reading this and turning pages desperate to know what would happen next. However, the twists are incredibly obvious, I called it from the beginning and was only hoping Slater would throw in a really shocking twist. I do not always mind when I figure out the plot, however, this one felt like an easy way out and it was all a bit too simple. The book was let down by how obvious the plot was and I wish Slater had injected some real twists into this.

I have mentioned this is all about the characters and it really is. Darcy, Brenda, Leonard and Steph, in particular are fantastic characters whom I enjoyed getting to know. Learning about their dynamic was fascinating and for me, they have complex relationships with each other and for me, my enjoyment came out of their interactions and seeing how they all change as the book progressed.

Slater does cover some very emotive, intense subjects throughout this and 'Single' is by no means an easy read. However, I did not find it to be particularly entertaining or gripping and I wish there were more shocks throughout.

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for an advance copy.
I am a big fan of K.L. Slater's books and Single might just be my favourite so far! K.L. Slater is an expert at weaving tales of deceit, lies and suspense. She writes just the type of books I love!

Darcy is still struggling with the loss of her husband. But when she meets George, she starts to believe she can finally move on and make a new life for herself and her children. They have things in common such as both of their spouses dying leaving them to raise children by themselves. But George comes with some extra baggage on top of being a single parent, he has an obsessed ex who Darcy believes is out to get them.

I had a lot of sympathy for Darcy. After losing her husband, she didn't cope very well. His family helped but she feels a little smothered by them. She loves her children and wants nothing more than for them to be happy and settled. So after getting to know George she thinks this is her time.

This is a book that had me racing to finish because I had to know what happened. If you haven't read any of K.L. Slater's work before, I would definitely recommend starting with Single. It showcases perfectly K.L. Slater's impressive writing and story telling. I am so looking forward to reading more from this fantastic author, as her books have just gone from strength to strength.
I have always enjoyed KL Slaters novels and this one was no different. SPOILERS: I’m not sure if I fully believe that Joel would be able to keep up the charade for YEARS. I understand his family had some part but still. I find it a little far fetched but enjoyed the twists and turns along the way. I like how all the suspicions were put to rest as they arnt always.
It’s books like this which make me feel grateful that I am nowhere near the dating scene!!

Darcy hasn’t had it easy at all. She admits that she has made many mistakes, yet she is determined to stay on the strait and narrow for her two little boys. However, what should have been a straight forward task ends up becoming something which snowballs out of control. Are Darcy’s boys in danger again?

I thought the premise of this book was rather chilling and highly promising. The character development, especially Darcy’s, was very intriguing and held that all important hook one needs when reading a book.

That said, I couldn’t help but feel that the delivery of the suspense and intensity was a bit stilted. There were times when new characters were introduced as though we were seeing them again in the book, even though we weren’t. On it’s own, something like that isn’t problematic, but because of the way these characters appeared out of nowhere, or an event was brought up as though the readers should have known about it, made me feel very confused as it felt like I had missed several pages of the book. I didn’t find the overall storyline to be as consistent as other K.L.Slater books I have read, which is a shame.

I am a huge fan of K.L.Slater’s novels, and I was impressed by how complex she made the family dynamics within the story. A definite talking point, and something which stirred up mixed emotions while I was reading it!

All in all I found this to be an on the fence type of read, but I thought the character’s were brilliantly thought out, even the horrible ones!
Slater’s books just keep getting better with each new release. Single is definitely one of my favorite books by her.

Darcy is a widow with two sons. She is going through a very tough time of grief made worse by the fact that she found out about her husband’s deception after his death. It’s at this point that she meets the charming doctor, George. However, creepy things start happening around her and the tension elevates as her relationship with George grows.

I love Slater’s writing and I think she did a fab job with creating and building tension in this book. I couldn’t predict the twists and found myself so caught up with the narrative that I hardly had time to try and guess the ending. I was nervous for Darcy. At the same time, I really wanted to find out who was behind her misery and torment. There were so many suspects from her past and present life but it wasn’t easy to firmly guess who the villain (s).

Single by K. L. Slater was truly a captivating read for me. It had everything that I look for in a thriller. It had characters to root for, others to dislike, tension, secrets and twists and a jaw-dropping final reveal. Of late, I have been struggling to get through my books. It has been taking me a week or 2 to read a single book. However, I got through this in just a weekend. Definitely recommended to fans of this genre.
Not for me I'm afraid.   I gave up at 25%.

I wanted a full on pysch thriller and by quarter of they way through I should have had something that fit the description and maybe other people got that but I didn't.   Sorry.