Cover Image: Single

Single

Fast paced thriller told from the point of view of Darcy who is a widowed mother of two young sons. When Darcy meets the handsome doctor George who is also a widow raising a young daughter, Darcy feels like she has hit the jackpot. Darcy has a complicated past with various mental problems, when she starts feeling like someone is watching her and her boys she realizes something is wrong with her new perfect relationship. Enter Darcy’s overprotective and meddlesome in-laws and her problems multiply. Well written domestic thriller with a lot of things going on.
Another gripping story from one of my favourite authors. This one is so complex with twists and turns galore. Nothing or no-one is as they seem. Highly recommended
With thanks to Bookoutre and NetGalley for the ARC.

Darcy is a single mum of two boys. When one of them has a Asthma attack in a local park a passing doctor assists in helping out and helps save her sons life.

They soon get together and start a relationship.

But no one in this story is as they seem.
Darcy's past is mixed up and she has spent time in hospital due to severe mental health issues following the death of the boys father. She is also under the control of her in laws. The Doctor has a dodgy looking past with lots of unanswered questions. He appears to have a dangerous stalker that threatens their budding relationship.
All the way through this exceptionally well written book, the sense of foreboding grows. You know there is big trouble on the way, you're just not sure where it's going to come from. It could easily be from 3 or 4 sources. It keeps you guessing all the way with a few nice deceptions and twists to keep you guessing all the way to the end.

All in all an excellent read.
EXCERPT: The simple fact of the matter is that she doesn't belong with him. She's getting in the way and acting so selfishly.

Her two sons are just pawns in the game. Defenceless boys who are being dragged along against their will.

Someone has got to help those children. Even if one of them gets hurt in the process.

Collateral damage...that's what they call it, isn't it?

ABOUT THIS BOOK: When single mother Darcy’s son falls from a rope bridge at a local playground, life stands still. She clutches his small, limp body, frozen, until a pair of strong hands push her aside, and she watches as George, a local doctor, saves her son’s life.

Darcy doesn’t know who to trust, but she’s starting to suspect that, whatever the truth, she might have put her beloved boys into terrible danger…

MY THOUGHTS: I have always had a hit and miss relationship with Slater's work, admittedly more hit than miss, but this one was definitely a miss for me. Usually her stories just flow, but this one didn't. I failed to get immersed in it and actually wound up skimming much of the the latter part of the book because I just didn't care any more and wanted it to be over.....

I felt like I was being told a story, a highly improbable and far-fetched one at that. I have a fairly good tolerance for improbable and far-fetched, after all I do read and love fiction, but this just went a step too far. I didn't feel any tension, any suspense, just head-shaking disbelief.

The characters were very one-dimensional and the plot, particularly towards the end, ludicrous. This could have been an absolutely brilliant book, but it falls well short of that mark. I know I am in the minority here, but this was a very disappointing read for me.

Reading is a personal and subjective experience, and what appeals to one may not please another. If you enjoyed the excerpt from Single by K.L. Slater, and the plot outline appeals, please do go ahead and read it. You may well love it, as many other people have.

#Single #NetGalley

DISCLOSURE: Thank you to Bookouture via NetGalley for providing a digital ARC of Single by K.L. Slater for review. All opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own personal opinions.

For an explanation of my rating system, please refer to my Goodreads.com profile page or the about page on sandysbookaday.wordpress.com

This review and others are also published on Twitter, Amazon and my webpage
KL Slater is a go to author for me when I'm craving a clever and fast paced mystery and "Single" did not disappoint on that front. Yes, it's not the most original story, but very gripping and a good read for a gray winter's week.
Thanks to Netgalley and Bookouture for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Darcy is a widow with 2 sons. One day in the park, her son has an asthma attack and a handsome doctor saves his life. Darcy becomes involved with the doctor, who seems to be the perfect man, but weird things start happening.

3.5 stars.

I had a hard time getting into this one. It took me a full week to get through it. It was all just so rosy at the beginning and that was sort of boring. This book used a first person narration where Darcy kept eluding to secrets and things we didn’t know and wouldn’t end up finding out until later and I find that annoying. I prefer a book where we uncover the truth along with the narrator. But, I have to say the end of this book got crazy and I did not sniff out who was up to what before it was all revealed, so that was a positive.
Darcy , a single mom ,has a full time job managing her 2 boys.At the park when one of her boys falls from  the rope bridge a local doctor off duty George comes to the rescue. George is also a single parent and soon Darcy moves in with him. After moving in though strange things start happening which George blames on his obsessed ex-girlfriend Opal but  Darcy starts to wonder if she made a mistake moving in so fast

Single is another great psychological thriller by K.L.Slater.Like her other novels it has a  fast paced plot, great characters and a story that builds up with unpredictable twists and turns.Not one of my favorites by her as the ending felt a little far fetched but still enjoyable and cannot wait to read the next one !

I would like to thank Bookouture & NetGalley for providing an ARC of this book in exchange for my honest and fair review.
Wow! This book grabs at you from the first page and never let’s go. An interesting thriller about a woman who on her husbands death bed finds out he has another life with another woman and her world falls apart. After recovering from a mental breakdown and finally getting custody back of her children she finally starts to move on an a random meeting in a park with a dark handsome doctor sends her world spiralling. Is she loosing her mind or being stalked and why does her partner not seem to want to do anything about it?
Some of the Phsychological aspect of this book doesn't ignite my thrill at reading for this kind of genre. In fact, I do find it a little bit slow paced and it has some unnecessary. I cannot say that I do not like the book, but I can't tell if I like it either.
When single mother Darcy’s son falls from a rope bridge at a local playground, life stands still. She clutches his small, limp body, frozen, until a pair of strong hands push her aside, and she watches as George, a local doctor, saves her son’s life. George is a single parent too, and with his twinkling hazel eyes, easy charm, and lack of wedding band is almost too good to be true, but coffee becomes lunch, lunch becomes dinner, and soon they can’t go an evening without seeing each other. When he invites her to move into his beautiful home with its sprawling garden for her boys, Darcy doesn’t hesitate. But as Darcy is settling in, she receives a bunch of flowers with a chilling message. George says they’re from an obsessed ex-girlfriend, Opal, and days later Opal turns up at Darcy’s son’s football match. She claims to have shocking information that could threaten George’s custody of his daughter.

This is a thriller that is all about the characters. We start with a very clear, emotional plot, although we do not know all the facts it is clear something horrendous is happening. Fast forward, and we face Darcy and her family in a stronger position, but then George comes along and the plot really gets going.

Why three stars? I was gripped by reading this and turning pages desperate to know what would happen next. However, the twists are incredibly obvious, I called it from the beginning and was only hoping Slater would throw in a really shocking twist. I do not always mind when I figure out the plot, however, this one felt like an easy way out and it was all a bit too simple. The book was let down by how obvious the plot was and I wish Slater had injected some real twists into this.

I have mentioned this is all about the characters and it really is. Darcy, Brenda, Leonard and Steph, in particular are fantastic characters whom I enjoyed getting to know. Learning about their dynamic was fascinating and for me, they have complex relationships with each other and for me, my enjoyment came out of their interactions and seeing how they all change as the book progressed.

Slater does cover some very emotive, intense subjects throughout this and 'Single' is by no means an easy read. However, I did not find it to be particularly entertaining or gripping and I wish there were more shocks throughout.

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for an advance copy.
I am a big fan of K.L. Slater's books and Single might just be my favourite so far! K.L. Slater is an expert at weaving tales of deceit, lies and suspense. She writes just the type of books I love!

Darcy is still struggling with the loss of her husband. But when she meets George, she starts to believe she can finally move on and make a new life for herself and her children. They have things in common such as both of their spouses dying leaving them to raise children by themselves. But George comes with some extra baggage on top of being a single parent, he has an obsessed ex who Darcy believes is out to get them.

I had a lot of sympathy for Darcy. After losing her husband, she didn't cope very well. His family helped but she feels a little smothered by them. She loves her children and wants nothing more than for them to be happy and settled. So after getting to know George she thinks this is her time.

This is a book that had me racing to finish because I had to know what happened. If you haven't read any of K.L. Slater's work before, I would definitely recommend starting with Single. It showcases perfectly K.L. Slater's impressive writing and story telling. I am so looking forward to reading more from this fantastic author, as her books have just gone from strength to strength.
I have always enjoyed KL Slaters novels and this one was no different. SPOILERS: I’m not sure if I fully believe that Joel would be able to keep up the charade for YEARS. I understand his family had some part but still. I find it a little far fetched but enjoyed the twists and turns along the way. I like how all the suspicions were put to rest as they arnt always.
It’s books like this which make me feel grateful that I am nowhere near the dating scene!!

Darcy hasn’t had it easy at all. She admits that she has made many mistakes, yet she is determined to stay on the strait and narrow for her two little boys. However, what should have been a straight forward task ends up becoming something which snowballs out of control. Are Darcy’s boys in danger again?

I thought the premise of this book was rather chilling and highly promising. The character development, especially Darcy’s, was very intriguing and held that all important hook one needs when reading a book.

That said, I couldn’t help but feel that the delivery of the suspense and intensity was a bit stilted. There were times when new characters were introduced as though we were seeing them again in the book, even though we weren’t. On it’s own, something like that isn’t problematic, but because of the way these characters appeared out of nowhere, or an event was brought up as though the readers should have known about it, made me feel very confused as it felt like I had missed several pages of the book. I didn’t find the overall storyline to be as consistent as other K.L.Slater books I have read, which is a shame.

I am a huge fan of K.L.Slater’s novels, and I was impressed by how complex she made the family dynamics within the story. A definite talking point, and something which stirred up mixed emotions while I was reading it!

All in all I found this to be an on the fence type of read, but I thought the character’s were brilliantly thought out, even the horrible ones!
Slater’s books just keep getting better with each new release. Single is definitely one of my favorite books by her.

Darcy is a widow with two sons. She is going through a very tough time of grief made worse by the fact that she found out about her husband’s deception after his death. It’s at this point that she meets the charming doctor, George. However, creepy things start happening around her and the tension elevates as her relationship with George grows.

I love Slater’s writing and I think she did a fab job with creating and building tension in this book. I couldn’t predict the twists and found myself so caught up with the narrative that I hardly had time to try and guess the ending. I was nervous for Darcy. At the same time, I really wanted to find out who was behind her misery and torment. There were so many suspects from her past and present life but it wasn’t easy to firmly guess who the villain (s).

Single by K. L. Slater was truly a captivating read for me. It had everything that I look for in a thriller. It had characters to root for, others to dislike, tension, secrets and twists and a jaw-dropping final reveal. Of late, I have been struggling to get through my books. It has been taking me a week or 2 to read a single book. However, I got through this in just a weekend. Definitely recommended to fans of this genre.
Not for me I'm afraid.   I gave up at 25%.

I wanted a full on pysch thriller and by quarter of they way through I should have had something that fit the description and maybe other people got that but I didn't.   Sorry.
Single by K.L. Slater is a riveting psychological thriller full of twists.

I'm gradually becoming a K.L. Slater veteran and knew I was going to need to read this book. Even if if I hadn't come across this remarkable writer before, the fabulous synopsis would have worked its tempting magic on me, anyway!

This was a proper rollercoaster-ride! K.L. Slater introduces the reader to Darcy, a single mother with two little boys, Kane and Harrison. Struggling to raise the two young lads on her own, she accepts help from Joel's parents and sister who adore them, but Darcy despises the control they have over her life. One day, Darcy’s youngest son, six-year-old Kane, falls from a rope bridge at the local playground, following an asthma attack and as Darcy clutches his small, limp body, frozen to the spot, a pair of strong hands push her aside, as George Mortimer, a local doctor, saves her son’s life. George, also a single parent, with his hazel eyes and charming ways, bewitches Darcy and soon they become a couple. When he invites her to move into his beautiful home, Darcy doesn’t hesitate. But Darcy's in-laws don't approve of their relationship and neither does George's obsessive ex-girlfriend, Opal Vardy, who sends Darcy chilling messages. So begins an unnerving story; can you work out who's lying and who's telling the truth?

Single is told from the perspectives of different characters, occasionally switching from third person to first person. I gained insight into the thought processes and mindsets of various people, including some of the secondary characters as well. K.L. Slater's writing style was as delightful as ever, leaving me no clues as to what was coming next.  The reader was not privy to many key pieces of information, helping to maintain the high levels of intrigue. Even after most of the story had been told, the author cannily continued to plant doubts, so I was still struggling to figure out the truth from the lies. With no disappointments, this was a cleverly plotted page-turner with many twists and red herrings leading up to an exciting conclusion. Harboured secrets, mistrust, mental health, disapproval, obsession, and selfishness all had a place in this fabulous and compulsive thriller.

I totally recommend Single and I'm already looking forward to K.L. Slater's next offering!

This review was written voluntarily and was not influenced by the fact that I received a complimentary digital copy of this novel from Bookouture via NetGalley.
An unusual story with many facets,twists and turns. Lots of varied characters,none of them wholly likeable.Was never sure how it was going to end or even where it was going.Not quite believable.
No doubt about it, this was one extremely twisted thriller. I lost count of the number of hints, red herrings, and turns the plot took. I liked how the author kept me guessing; just when I thought I knew what was happening, there was another twist that took the action in a totally different direction or threw different light on an event. Even the flashbacks were part of the subterfuge for the truth of the matter (that will make sense if you read the book – which you should!) For a full review, please visit my blog at Fireflies and Free Kicks Fiction Reviews. Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for a digital ARC of this book.
First, I want to thank K.L. Slater, Bookouture and NetGalley for providing me with this book so I may bring you this review.

WOWZERS!!! What creativity and great storytelling K.L. Slater has in her latest gripping phycological thriller Single. This was my first time from her and now she is on my must-read author list!

This book read like a good prime time drama! One that you would binge watch Until the end of it. If you know me you know I love my prime-time drama It had your tragic deaths, manipulation, betrayal, bulling, overbearing grandparents, mental illness, stalkers, etc.

What I really loved about the books is the remarkable cast of characters! Some I really like and then others not so much. However, she kept mentioning the characters but not fully filling us in on how they fit into the full story. It wasn’t until later in the book until I found out the whole picture. It was then I was blown away and totally shocked as I didn’t see most of it coming.

The cover of the book and the title first drew me into the book. Then it was the blurb. Kudos to the graphic team for doing an amazing job!
As always K.L.Slater never disappoints,  this book kept me guessing throughout, with so many possibilities thrown into the mix. I genuinely had no clue how it would end.
An absorbing and gripping read from beginning to end, this is a brilliant story and I recommend it to readers who enjoy suspense filled psychological thrillers.  This author is the best and I'm already looking forward to her next book.