Single

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 25 Nov 2019

A riveting, thought provoking suspense that pushes every one of the reader’s emotional boundaries. The characters are broadly developed and poignant creating the perfect balance within this manipulative narrative. While more avid readers of this genre may pick up on the plot twist early on, Slater throws many curve balls so that the entire experience is worth the read.

Bottom Line: K.L. Slater has done it again. Somehow she weaves together a story-line with characters that seem like the people next-door, but so not. Definitely a page turner and a great read.
Single by K.L. Slater is a riveting psychological thriller full of twists.

I'm gradually becoming a K.L. Slater veteran and knew I was going to need to read this book. Even if if I hadn't come across this remarkable writer before, the fabulous synopsis would have worked its tempting magic on me, anyway!

This was a proper rollercoaster-ride! K.L. Slater introduces the reader to Darcy, a single mother with two little boys, Kane and Harrison. Struggling to raise the two young lads on her own, she accepts help from Joel's parents and sister who adore them, but Darcy despises the control they have over her life. One day, Darcy’s youngest son, six-year-old Kane, falls from a rope bridge at the local playground, following an asthma attack and as Darcy clutches his small, limp body, frozen to the spot, a pair of strong hands push her aside, as George Mortimer, a local doctor, saves her son’s life. George, also a single parent, with his hazel eyes and charming ways, bewitches Darcy and soon they become a couple. When he invites her to move into his beautiful home, Darcy doesn’t hesitate. But Darcy's in-laws don't approve of their relationship and neither does George's obsessive ex-girlfriend, Opal Vardy, who sends Darcy chilling messages. So begins an unnerving story; can you work out who's lying and who's telling the truth?

Single is told from the perspectives of different characters, occasionally switching from third person to first person. I gained insight into the thought processes and mindsets of various people, including some of the secondary characters as well. K.L. Slater's writing style was as delightful as ever, leaving me no clues as to what was coming next.  The reader was not privy to many key pieces of information, helping to maintain the high levels of intrigue. Even after most of the story had been told, the author cannily continued to plant doubts, so I was still struggling to figure out the truth from the lies. With no disappointments, this was a cleverly plotted page-turner with many twists and red herrings leading up to an exciting conclusion. Harboured secrets, mistrust, mental health, disapproval, obsession, and selfishness all had a place in this fabulous and compulsive thriller.

I totally recommend Single and I'm already looking forward to K.L. Slater's next offering!

This review was written voluntarily and was not influenced by the fact that I received a complimentary digital copy of this novel from Bookouture via NetGalley.
An unusual story with many facets,twists and turns. Lots of varied characters,none of them wholly likeable.Was never sure how it was going to end or even where it was going.Not quite believable.
No doubt about it, this was one extremely twisted thriller. I lost count of the number of hints, red herrings, and turns the plot took. I liked how the author kept me guessing; just when I thought I knew what was happening, there was another twist that took the action in a totally different direction or threw different light on an event. Even the flashbacks were part of the subterfuge for the truth of the matter (that will make sense if you read the book – which you should!) For a full review, please visit my blog at Fireflies and Free Kicks Fiction Reviews. Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for a digital ARC of this book.
First, I want to thank K.L. Slater, Bookouture and NetGalley for providing me with this book so I may bring you this review.

WOWZERS!!! What creativity and great storytelling K.L. Slater has in her latest gripping phycological thriller Single. This was my first time from her and now she is on my must-read author list!

This book read like a good prime time drama! One that you would binge watch Until the end of it. If you know me you know I love my prime-time drama It had your tragic deaths, manipulation, betrayal, bulling, overbearing grandparents, mental illness, stalkers, etc.

What I really loved about the books is the remarkable cast of characters! Some I really like and then others not so much. However, she kept mentioning the characters but not fully filling us in on how they fit into the full story. It wasn’t until later in the book until I found out the whole picture. It was then I was blown away and totally shocked as I didn’t see most of it coming.

The cover of the book and the title first drew me into the book. Then it was the blurb. Kudos to the graphic team for doing an amazing job!
As always K.L.Slater never disappoints,  this book kept me guessing throughout, with so many possibilities thrown into the mix. I genuinely had no clue how it would end.
An absorbing and gripping read from beginning to end, this is a brilliant story and I recommend it to readers who enjoy suspense filled psychological thrillers.  This author is the best and I'm already looking forward to her next book.
There are so many twists and turns in this book. No one is who you think they are. I love a book like that. One of the best books I have read this  year.
👩‍👦‍👦And the little children shall save them:  gripping suspense!👨‍👧😳

👍👍 Wow!  Author K.L. Slater really knows how to create an enthralling drama!  Family conflict, secrets by the bushel and mental health issues piled on to test a young mother and the three precious children in her life.  The writing is top-notch, fast moving and compelling.  And young Harrison, Kane and Romy, the center of it all, in their childish innocence, just the rays of light to keep the story from growing too dark as adult cruelty, jealousy, obsession, revenge and fear play out around them.

My first time reading a book by Slater, it will not be the last. 😍

Thanks to publisher Bookouture and NetGalley for providing a complimentary advance copy of the book;  this is my voluntary and honest review.
K L Slater has once again robbed me of a night of sleep! I made the mistake of picking this up before bed and I just could not put it down. Twisted and addicting, I was completely hooked from the very first page. Darcy A widow and mother of two young boys is still struggling to find her footing. One day while at the park her youngest son has an asthma attack and his inhaler is not where it should be. Lucky for Darcy there is a doctor in the house. Handsome Dr. George Oliver is soon on the scene saving the day. Soon Darcy finds her self romantically involved with George, and before she knows it she has moved in to his beautiful home with him and his daughter. BUT Darcy has unresolved issues with her deceased husband Joel and his family, and George has some skeletons in the closet. What terrible thing did Joel do? And who the heck is Opal?

What a wild ride! miss Slater sucker punched me with the twists in this book! I was so convinced I knew what was going on, but NO! Darcy was such a loose cannon I didn’t know whether or not to trust her. To be honest I didn’t trust any of the characters in this book. They all seem to have some kind of agenda. Another well executed thriller from one of my favorite psychological thriller authors!

This book in emojis.  👩‍👦‍👦 🎢 🤯

*** Big thanks to Bookouture for my copy of this book ***
Well this was a twisty read that didn’t let up until the final few pages. Just when I thought I’d hit “the twist” another one jumped right up and shocked the hell out of me! I’ve always been a big K.L. Slater fan but she’s outshone herself this time with this thrilling and unsettling psychological thriller that just kept on giving. I was on my guard throughout, trusting no one, unsure of who’s corner I should be in! So I was on edge, unable to commit to anyone because every character seemed to have something to hide.

Darcy has faced a terrible experience leaving her to bring up her two sons on her own. After a terrible breakdown, she is now starting to get her life back. When she meets gorgeous doctor George in the park one day, she becomes involved very quickly with his life. But circumstances seem set to conspire against their “happy ever after”.

It was hard not to feel sympathy for Darcy. She was struggling to bring up her boys, constantly under threat from homelessness or losing her beloved sons. Her in-laws seem to have her best interests at heart but seem to be plotting behind her back. George has a deranged stalker following their every move and Darcy can’t seem to move on from the devastating betrayal she suffered. And K.L. Slater managed to crank up the tension between all her characters to an almost unbearable level! Every corner that they turned seemed to present another obstacle to the happiness that George and Darcy deserved so I had no idea how this twisty and unnerving narrative would conclude. And what an ending when it did come!

This is definitely a book that I struggled to put down! Loved it!
****Review****

Utterly gripping psychology thriller.

This book had me gasping out loud, just when I thought I had the plot line another twist comes. K.L.Slater does a fantastic job of building up the suspense, revealing little titbits.
This story is not a love story, I makes you realise no matter how much you think you know someone, they hold secrets close to the chest. Either through fear of hurting the ones you love or just for selfish reasons.
This book to me say that no matter how much you go through, mental health, death that if your strong enough you can survive anything. The women in the book are strong and edgy. I couldn’t help but root for them.
This book is well written and grips you from the start.
Thank you to Netgalley/ K.L. Slater/ Bookouture for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
This is truly a psychological thriller in every sense. The twists keep coming and it seems that the more unreliable the characters are, the better the plot. This centers around single mum Darcy, who lost the father of her two boys recently to illness and suffered a mental breakdown in trying to get back on track. His family are codependent and overly supportive in trying to help but when she meets someone new, everyone has a stake in the outcome of the relationship.
The story is overwhelming in scope of tangles between parties but Slater does a good job coming to a conclusion for each twist and turn.
Definitely recommend for those that like a fast paced psychological thriller.
#Single #Netgalley #Bookouture
Single by K.L. Slater gave a whole new meaning to the idiom ‘Too good to be true.’

Single mother Darcy is doing her best to offer her sons the best, with the ubiquitous presence of her in-laws and her late husband’s sister. It quickly becomes apparent that Darcy has gone through a really tough time after the father of her children. When her youngest son was saved by a handsome doctor coming out of nowhere, I knew I would be wary of Darcy throughout the book. Her reaction and thoughts had me rolling my eye, and I was soon to be proved right, as this fateful event triggered a series of meetings that led to what looks like the perfect ‘second-chance love story.’

Perfect… Perfect… K.L. Slater knows how to quarter each letter and make them bleed until nothing is left but a metallic taste in your mouth!

Single is filled with threats coming from all sides. I felt like I was riding a drifting raft in the middle of the ocean during a storm! The ground under the characters’ feet felt thin as ice. I couldn’t put my finger on what exactly was wrong, but I was almost seasick!!! The author has a way to get you invested in a novel, even though you haven’t warmed to the protagonists. It takes a lot to keep me on my toes about the lives of people I wouldn’t befriend, but the Queen of Unforeseen Twists did it!

Darcy’s new love George sounded too good to be true, but I didn’t have time to analyse my suspicions as I also had to keep an eye of Darcy’s late husband’s family, very keen to keep their grandchildren by their side. On top of it all, both Darcy and George deserved slaps for lying by omission, or lying period, therefore putting their new family life in danger.

At the heart of this novel lies trust. Who do you trust? Who is evil enough to betray you? What drives someone to destroy everything to reach their goal? I couldn’t shake the feeling that every relationship in this book was based on sand, threatening to immerse everyone at any second!
Tension and uneasiness make Single a deeply disturbing read!
Just finished this nailbiting book and it was soooo good!
Thank you Netgalley, KL Slater and Bookouture for giving me the chance to read this advance copy.
Darcy a young widow with 2 small boys is still reeling from the shock of losing her partner Joel to cancer and then finding out he has another secret life with a woman named Daniella.
Her whole world is consumed with stalking Daniella on social media.  Joel's family worry about her state of mind and decide to apply for custody of the boys.
Meanwhile Darcy meets handsome Dr George Who comes with his own set of issues....
Nothing is as it seems and red herrings are everywhere.  Treat yourself to a cozy weekend of reading you won't regret it!  5 stars 🌟
Darcy has two sons and a past. She is very much guided by her former husbands family after he died. When Kane the youngest child has a severe asthma attack one day a doctor comes to her rescue. The beginning of the book takes us to someone sounding like they are struggling with their mental health, having dressed totally in the wrong clothes and then finding themselves in hospital. We later find out who this is , why and what happened. Darcy and George start dating, something she hasn’t told her inlaws as even four years after Joel died they think it would be far too soon to begin seeing someone. They help Darcy look after her boys when she works but are beginning to take over her life. Both her and Goerge have someone in their past they wish they could get rid of.  K.L Slater knows magic. Magic that gets you into the plot quickly and characters you take to (or not in some cases!) . This is a clever premise and that wondering who the guilty parties were, having thought of different characters along the way and there are lots of twists and turns on the journey. The ending and unveil for me didn’t quite have that wow/ OMG factor which I have had with other books by this author. Might be me. That said it was an enjoyable read and kept me within it pages.
It's been a while since I've picked up a K.L. Slater book and I don't know WHY IT TOOK ME SO LONG.  This is my third book by her and this one is just as addictive and bat shit as the rest.  I mean, if I'M not going to be here for the crazy, who will? You?  YOU? Haha - of course you are!

What I especially love is how quick these reads are.  You simply want to keep going to figure out what the hell is happening because there's always something going on and nothing is ever what it seems to be.  Now, I'm ALL about suspending reality and taking on some ridiculousness.  Sometimes it can get a little TOO convoluted and then it starts to lose a little magic.  Unfortunately this one DOES go in this direction.

There are just too many twists trying to be worked into this.  While I didn't see every single one coming my way...  well, with all that was going on, I was going to miss catching a few of those balls regardless.  I don't think the flashbacks did any favors to the story and sometimes it was difficult in figuring out whose voice was talking within a chapter.  Then the ending kind of went abrupt to three months later and now my neck hurts because whiplash.

HOWEVER, this book was still absolutely addicting and despite all the little things that didn't *quite* work, I did love the insanity of it all.  How quickly everything unraveled.  How everything ended up tying together.  All the YES for ALL the crazy.  It's why I love these books so much.  My favorite K.L. Slater so far is Blink - so if you love crazy thrillers, definitely read Slater and definitely read Blink.  I would still recommend this one as well - just remember the book is insane, not you. *wink*
Ooohh. That was really, really good. For a while I wasn’t sure what to think or who to believe. Somehow everybody in this book was hiding something and was a little sketchy. In true K.L. Slater fashion this story has twists and head games and it’s scary good. Five stars and highly recommended.
I have just discovered this author!  I really enjoy reading her books!  This books was a quick, easy read! I highly recommend it!
Darcy has struggled since the death of her husband, Joel. Her in-laws have been very keen to help with her two boys. Grateful though she is, she sometimes feels that they are taking over. On a day out her younger son has an almost fatal asthma attack & is saved by George- a handsome hospital consultant. Before long she & George are seeing each other. The boys get on with him. She loves Romy, George's daughter. But this is no happy ever after. Darcy is sure she is being followed. Her in-laws are not happy she is in another relationship. George can be very secretive, especially about the stalker he seems to have..

I have enjoyed K.L.Slater's previous books so I was really looking forward to this one & I was not disappointed. I was hooked from the beginning. This is a terrific read. Thanks to Netgalley & the publisher for letting me read & review this book.
Darcy is struggling after the death of her husband, Joel. Still reeling from a huge secret Joel kept from her, Darcy’s life is far from perfect. She seems to have an okay relationship with Joel’s parents and sister-in-law and considers them family even if they wield a little too much control over her life. Things are about to change though when Darcy’s son takes a fall at the park and George, a local doctor, saves her son’s life. Darcy finds herself smitten with the doctor and before you know it, Darcy is moving in with George and his young daughter. But, George has a secret he has not shared with Darcy. He has a stalker, one that has secrets she wants to share. Is Darcy in over her head or is George the perfect man she can love forever?

Wow! I have read some twisty books before and K.L Slater definitely brings new meaning to “twisty.”  Slater just hits you time and time again and you are often left wondering what the hell is going on! I can say with complete honesty, this is a story you will never figure out until Slater smacks you in the face with the truth. I tried and tried to come up with my own scenarios and yes, I was completely wrong many, many times.

Single is told primarily from Darcy’s perspective, but with its many characters in the mix we get to hear some of the story through their eyes. Even though there are quite a few characters, the story is very easy to follow along and I never had to reread a paragraph to figure out who was who. While I sometimes struggle in the beginning with multiple characters and remembering everyone, Slater lays out her characters in such a way that makes it easier for readers to grasp right from the beginning. I would attribute this too K.L Slaters amazing characterization and development.

There are a few different storylines running through the course of this story and you might say to yourself “Well how is all of this even relevant?” Believe me, it all comes together nice and smoothly and once this happens all of the puzzles start clicking into place and what you thought you knew takes a whole different turn and leaves you quite speechless. This really is one truly messed up story that is so good you will cry after the last page is read because you are so addicted and need more!

Single is a brilliantly written twisted story that will captivate you right from the first page and then drag you deep down in a tunnel full of many surprises.  This is the second book I have read by K.L. Slater and I can see why she is now a favorite author of mine. Another 5 star read from me and one you do not want to miss.