Human

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 09 Dec 2019

Humans started to decline thanks to unspecified deterioration of environment conditions here on Earth. So few scientists decide to engage plan to human survival in the form of Project Phoenix. The plan is to wait in cryosleep on Earth's orbit until it becomes habitable again and then repopulate the Earth. 500 000 years later, when the Earth restored its condition, two leading scientists Robert and June (husband and wife) descended from orbit back to Earth. The earth is now in excellent shape and it looks more "alien" in means of plants and weird new species of apes. The landing is rough, but androids, the help for the scientists' couple to execute the mission, rescue Robert from his landing pod and he start his search for June.
Well, the setting is great. The description I wrote is nothing inventive or new, it's rather a common scenario for this kind of sci-fi. But the deeper detail creates a quite interesting scenario. For me, there comes a major flaw. At first, I was happy with the number of pages. But in the end, the 130-ish pages is not enough. There is a lack of information to start with (not necessarily a flaw by itself) and with such an interesting scenario I got a lot of missing links. I love how book pretends it's Robert's story, but it's actually Alfa's one from beginning to the end.
So, on one hand, I like the story, but on the other hand, I'm disappointed in ways how executed it is, how the actual scenario is not elaborated enough. The art is OK, not exactly by my tase but not against it either. In conclusion - this is a nice comic with an interesting story and at least "OK" art, but there is so much unused potential and that could leave the bitter taste after reading
An entertaining story about a post-human Earth. Humanity seems to have disappeared from the planet and this, in turn, seems to be a safe environment for humans to return. However, things are not that simple, and when the plan of a man is shattered, we are shown that "humanity" can also dwell in unexpected places. Loved the moral and development, not so much the graphics, though, although I praise the audacity to show some raw images.

Full review in my blog (JAN 22): https://tintanocturna.blogspot.com/2020/01/comic-human.html
Human (Kindle Edition)
by Diego Agrimbau

October 16th 2019 by Europe Comics
ASINB07YNNSNHQ

A set of robots return to earth, it is abstractly different the world is wild and violent and changed, the robots are in danger.  They find a lone human, he leads them to a corpse the lone female who arrived in this world decades before him. The lone human and the robots find that it was earth, and they are alone on the world. The art is very graphic, but would be appealing to apocalypse fans.
Thank you to Europe Comics for a temporary digital edition via NetGalley of ‘Human’, written by Diego Agrimbau with art by Lucas Varela, in exchange for an honest review. It was published in October.

I usually get on well with science fiction but I just found this story confusing and the concept of two humans orbiting the Earth for half a million years, even in cryosleep, strained credibility. I also didn’t like the style or colour palette of the art.

Clearly other members did enjoy it but I concluded that this graphic novel just wasn’t a good fit for me.
From the Moebius-inspired cover image to the very attractive interior artwork and a science-fiction plot that pits human life against an alien environment half a million years in the future, Diego Agrimbau and Lucas Varela's Human has all the makings of a thrilling quality SF graphic novel. If it doesn't quite live up to expectations in terms of delivering any new ideas or insights into what it means to be human it certainly meets expectations elsewhere and is unlikely to disappoint.

Without any dialogue, the opening section presents an intriguing scene of a space-craft making a crash landing on what looks like an alien planet. An AI with its files are corrupted and unable to determine what its mission is emerges from the ruin of the craft and barely has time to grasp the situation to avoid getting ripped apart by one of the primitive red-faced monkey like lifeforms on the planet. Assisted by a robot protector however, it manages to remain in one piece and establish that the remainder of the AI team need saving from threats from other dangerous lifeforms.

The AI discovers that he is Alpha and determines that his duty must be to rescue the human that they have found in a capsule on the half-destroyed ship. When revived, the scientist Robert explains that they are not on an alien planet but have returned to Earth on the European continent in the year 553180. The ship has been orbiting earth for over half a million years waiting for the ecosystems to regenerate, and now he plans to revive his wife June, a cyber-anthropologist who should be nearby and set about rebuilding Earth from scratch. Travelling any distance in this post-apocalyptic world however is going to be dangerous with a reduced team and hosts of unknown creatures.

This you can imagine ought to look fantastic in a graphic novel: and it does. Lucas Varela's artwork is not as much Moebius as the cover image might suggest, but rather a simpler European clear line art style in a limited colour palette of red, grey, flesh and black with a little bit of a Mike Mignola influence in the spot blacks and the creature designs. The whole thing is beautifully laid out and paced to tell the story with the minimum of exposition. Diego Agrimbau's far-future story provides a lot of SF potential that the artwork certainly lives up to, looking at humanity through the eye of an AI, with a view towards where ecological disaster will eventually lead humanity.

It also provides an opportunity to tackle some big basic questions about the nature of humanity, questions of good and evil, right and wrong. And, since it is essentially a new world situation that humanity is trying to control, matters of colonialism and abuse of power inevitably come up. The treatment of these questions is however a little simplistic in outlook, not pursuing any of these topics in any depth. There's nothing for example that is as original, insightful or imaginative in its exploration of human nature and its capacity to develop as Moebius's The World of Edena. Agrimbau and Varela's Human tends to fall back on old ideas and behaviours, but who knows, that might indeed be the reality of being human.
"Human" is one of the best graphic novel that I have read this year.
It's about a futuristic and distopic world where Alpha - a robot - is searching for answers and his memory. He discovers a "new" species - apes - and other robots (who seems they know Alpha). Meanwhile he wake up their creator Robert from a cryosleep of 500.000 years.
From now on there will be an amazing adventure.

I think Robert hasn't lost his humanity, especially with his anger and "idea of colonization" typical of human beings.
While reading I was surprised and a little "angry" with him when appears to put nature vs technology in battles to prove what he can do.

Alpha is my favorite (obvously) and he's like Robert's conscience. The right path to follow when you're lost.
Is a new beginning for a new species.

I liked so much the style and colors of this graphic novel: red, black and white are a powerful combination.

This story was exciting, haunting, cute and extremely gory at times.
This is a very fast paced read and I read in a couple of sittings over a morning. The graphics are stunning and detailed.

The story follows Alpha when her ship crash lands on earth 500,000 years into the future, hunting for other survivors and the humans who are running the mission we encounter the future inhabitants of earth.

After some excellent battle scenes we end on what seems to be a cliffhanger. I'm definitely intrigued to see if this storyline continues.

Some of the human reactions to the future of earth were uncomfortable but very true to life.
I didn't really like this book. I was constantly confused for most of the way, and I couldn't finish it. I didn't particularly care for the art style either.
This was a pretty bizarre graphic novel that I'm not quite sure I loved. I was immediately drawn in by the cover and the synopsis, which presented a pretty interesting post apocalyptic tale about returning to earth 500,000 years post death (both humanity's and Earth's). I thought that the story was well illustrated, however, the illustration style wasn't what I expected when I picked this up. I thought the color palette of reds, greys, black and white was an interesting choice though; in a way it made earth seem a little bit leached of life, although that clearly wasn't the case as there was plenty of animals living in the jungle. While I wasn't a big fan of the illustrations, I thought the overall message of the story was very thought-provoking and made reflect on our relationship with our surroundings.

After hundreds of thousands of years in cryo-sleep, Robert awakes to find his wife and fellow scientist, June, has died waiting for him as she landed on Earth before him. During her time on our newly revived planet, she reneges on their mission and decides that what they set out to do wasn't actually for the greater good. Mired in grief over her loss and revelations left on video tapes, Robert's mind quickly unravels. He becomes paranoid and hell bent on conquering the jungle and wildlife by bringing them into submission and is convinced that he will build a new society that's populated by himself, calling the new era the time of the Robert Sapiens. I thought mother nature's natural selection to evolve all animals and to kill off all the humans was an interesting angle. I also thought that it was interesting that Alpha, a highly intelligent cyborg whose role in the original mission is to be Robert's counsel and psychiatrist, was the only morally aware and just character, instead of the only remaining human on earth. It seems that despite our good intentions, we are always the ones that are seeking to change our environment to fit what we think is best, rather than what's actually best for everything around us. In doing so, we end up creating discord with nature and the creatures around us for what we think is essentially to our survival. As depressing as it may be to think about, it makes me question whether we're capable of learning from our giant mistakes, no matter how well-intentioned we think we're being.

I did like how the story ended with justice and on a slightly more hopeful note, and it certainly made me curious about what would happen next. It was an entertaining enough story about humans and human nature, but it just wasn't one that I absolutely loved or would read again. Thanks to NetGalley and Europe Comics for the free copy in exchange for an honest review.
This was a weird one, but I ended up liking it. Both the writing and illustrations were very good, and I found the story to ultimately be thought provoking. Would definitely recommend to anyone who likes a good post-apocalyptic tale
I enjoyed the story and the art. I can see this happening if we don’t start taking better care of earth.
trigger warning
slavery
implied rape
mutilation
attempted genocide
gore

Alpha comes to at a place she doesn't know, without memories, and finds a few fellow robots. Combining their forces, they discover a human who says he's their master - and they're on a mission.

The muted colour palette added beautifully to the atmosphere, which is very depressing.
Our protagonist bears the burden of empathy, but is able to switch that off. Also, she can disobey orders, and is made to question things that happen, so her role is not as clear-set as fours, who is responsible for safety. Alpha has to figure out what she was built for, but also what her master thinks is her job.

Basically, there is nothing wrong with this graphic novel, I just wasn't in the mood for it. If you like sci fi, stories about what happens after the post-apokalypse, this one is for you.

I recieved a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
** spoiler alert ** This was a very quick, easy read with beautiful graphics.

Human is set on planet Earth 500,000 years in the future. We start with Alpha waking up & exploring the world, coming across others his kind (robots) & finding a pod containing their creator, a human named Robert. Robert instantly sets about creating a home for them & finding his wife & fellow scientist who should have landed nearby after orbiting the Earth in a pod until it was safe again . What he finds is not a happy ending, and seemingly riddled with grief, he turns against the natural progression of the world (primate creatures) and appears to put nature vs technology in battles to prove what he can do. It appears that underneath this madness he has another crazy plan: capturing the female ape like creatures and inseminating them in a mission to rebuild humanity from its truest form “Robert sapiens”

From tapes June left, Alpha discovers that june had realised how to save humanity. And it may not be like they originally planned for.

Robert orders four to kill alpha which resorts to the apes attacking him, five attacking the ape & the ape retaliating, causing an explosion. The “girls” seem protective of alpha and were a part of this.

Seems to be a happy ending, although the last image could also suggest otherwise.
This is for the Saga lovers.
The plot is on Earth  500,000 years in the future. The main protagonist Robert comes to Earth with a team of robots to find his love June ... and I guess they want to repopulate the Earth. So you have that Adam and Eve theme.
Everything goes wrong of course.
The art is beautiful. I liked the combination of colors.

Spoiler:
I guess the real plot is that the strange creatures on Earth are actually people developed into species to fin the current environment. I liked that.
Other things like impregnating females are really weird but not surprising from people because they are awful. It shows the real nature of people, selfish and not caring for other opinions.
I was not expecting what I read in these pages. I didn't know it was a postapocaliptic story (I didn't read the synopsis) and I was pleased.
It's true that I didn't enjoy the entire reading, I hated Robert with all my heart, but it was an interesting and quick read.
Tje illustrations are nothing  fancy, but it didn't bother me.
I really liked the plot line of the book.  The illustration style really worked well with the story. I did not expect to get emotionally invested with the robot. I was kinda of surprised by the drastic change in personality of the main character. I did not enjoy the ending and which is why I took away a star.

Overall I would recommend it if you are into graphic novels and wants a quick and easy graphic novel.
One thing that makes European comics so interesting is the way they communicate ideas slightly differently. This story has elements from many classic post-apocalyptic or science fiction stories, but the presentation gives it a different feel. It feels poignant and personal in a way that most similar stories don't. A fascinating, exciting story about humanity and the planet they inhabit.
Wonderful art and writing, really glad I read this. A good aesthetic can only carry you so far, and this is a good example of the medium being used to its full potential.
The Illustrations in this graphic novel were great. This was an interesting sci-fi story. I would recommend it to others.
I’m just going to be honest and say that this book was pretty dumb. I just found Robert really stupid and I didn’t really care for almost anything throughout the whole book. I will say that the illustrations were really nice however, I found the dialogue to be quite queer as it didn’t sound like humans speaking and the way the robots spoke were also very weird and I felt like I was hearing the same thing again and again.