Cover Image: The Paper Bag Princess 40th anniversary edition

The Paper Bag Princess 40th anniversary edition

Cute story about a little princess who learns to use her brains to outside a dragon and save her future prince of a husband.
In the end she learns to thing outside of the box and to stand up for herself!
This picture book is 40 years old and was before it's time. It tells a story of a princess that doesn't give a darn about normal princess story things she is going to stand up for herself save g
her prince from the dragon and when her prince doesn't appreciate her she is going to tell him where to go. It sends an excellent message to every princess loving little child.
This is a classic! In todays day and age it is even more important for girls to know it is ok to be themselves and not  change themselves for a boy!
I love this book!  I have gifted it to dozens of friends and family members with children - both male and female.  The message of women can do anything, and don't need a man to save them is one both genders should realize.  This book opened up my love of Mucsch as an author.  Everything he writes kids love.  I have made sure all the libraries I have worked for have a copy of this book.  The best of the best.
I haven't read The Paper Bag Princess in years, so when I was able to get the 40th-anniversary edition for free via NetGalley, I was really excited. It is definitely different than I remember it, but it is still a good book and a classic read for any child.

A dragon comes and destroys Elizabeth's castle and takes Prince Ronald. She can only find a paper bag to wear, so she puts it on and goes to find the prince. Once she is at the door to the dragon's cave, she tricks the dragon into using all his fire and flying around so much that he is so tired and falls asleep. Elizabeth rescues Prince Ronald, but he doesn't want anything to do with her because of how she looks. Elizabeth then tells Prince Ronald off and skips away happily.

I think this is a great story about showing how to trick someone who is bigger and meaner than you to rescue someone. It kind of reminds me of The Gruffalo in that sense. I liked how Elizabeth didn't put up with Prince Ronald; however, I don't support showing our children that it's okay to call other's names. I enjoyed the illustrations throughout the book, and I loved how the dragon was portrayed.

If you remember The Paper Bag Princess from your childhood and want to share this classic book with them, I think it is great, and the message is still relevant. I would recommend this book for 3 to 8 year-olds, or the board book for babies and toddlers. I compared the 40th-anniversary version to the original, and there were not a lot of differences. Just the font seemed to be slightly different.
Such an amazing classic. I’m a big fan of Robert Munsch’s books. I read them growing up and have read them to my daughter since she was born. They’re so much fun. This 40th anniversary edition is a must have!
Thank you to Netgalley and Annick Press for an ecopy in exchange for my honest review.
Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
"I recently received a copy of the fortieth-anniversary edition of The Paper Bag Princess from Annick Press through Netgalley. I am so excited to see that there's a new edition of the book to bring to new generations of Elizabeths (whether that is the name of the children reading it or not). All children, regardless of gender, can learn the vital messages the story offers up, whether it be from Elizabeth's triumphs, or from the failures of Ronald and the dragon alike.

This new edition of the story offers up two introductory pieces, one from Chelsea Clinton and one from Francesca Segal, and an afterword from Ann and Robert Munsch.  The afterword is perhaps my favourite addition, offering insight into how the story came to be--including a tale of performances of the story that invited eager dads to play the dragon that reminded me of my own dad. The introductory pieces offer up some deeply relatable passages about the ways in which The Paper Bag Princess has impacted generations, especially generations of girls. I do really wish that these introductions had steered away from the cisnormative boy/girl dichotomy, particularly the firm gender roles of girls learning from Elizabeth and boys learning from Ronald, but there's still something to be gleaned from them.

The Paper Bag Princess is a lifelong favourite picture book for me, and it remains such to this day. "
This is an adorable book and telling a story of the kind of princess most parents want their daughter to grow into.  This story will be read over and over again to our daughter!
A classic feminist book which is even better when read with the Novel Effect app which provides sound effects and background music to the reading experience. I read this book again and again and always make sure that my students hear it once a year too!
What an absolutely beautiful and inspirational story! I first read this book in college for an ethics course, once upon a time, long ago. Not only was the story feminine-positive and written well but the art was as superb as I remember it. I might go out and buy this one just to have it around and reread it on occasions or to my future children. Thank you publishers for allowing me to read and review this children’s book.
Robert Munsch's classic The Paper Bag Princess has been re-released in celebration of its 40th anniversary.  This book tells the story of Elizabeth, a beautiful princess who lives in a castle.  Elizabeth planes to marry Ronald and live happily ever; however, disaster happens when a large fierce dragon attacks her fine castle and kidnaps her beloved Ronald.  Elizabeth's castle is in ruins and the only thing she can find to wear is a singed paper bag.  For some princesses, this would be devastating, but Elizabeth is determined to find the dragon and save Ronald.  She follows the path of devastation the dragon has left in its wake and comes to the lair of the dragon.  Will she be able to save Ronald from the dragon?
I simply adore Elizabeth as a character.  Forty years ago, Elizabeth didn't need saving and was her own heroine. This was a very different take on a fairy tale and was very empowering for young girls to read that  females are intelligent, strong, and can take care of themselves.  She is a very positive female role model and her story is just a relevant in today's world as it was 40 years ago.
I loved The Paper Bag Princess as a child; it was easily one of my favorite books..so much so, I even incorporated it into an essay I wrote for 12th grade English! Getting to read the 40th Anniversary edition, with the additional pieces about the origin of this story and what it meant for other readers, was so special and helped me relive the magic of this story all over again.

While it might appear simple in nature, The Paper Bag Princess is a call for all women and girls to stand up, be our own heroes, and leave behind anyone that would try to tear us down!
Robert Munsch's charming children's classic The Paper Bag Princess has been re-released for it's 40th-anniversary, and this commemorative edition is sure to please those who grew up loving Elizabeth's story as well as make new fans from younger generations.
This story has stood the test of time so well; everything from the original drawings to the storyline feels relevant today, both important and engaging for young readers. The book is feminist, empowering, and teaches kids to think of creative ways to slay the dragons in their life and to not waste your time on those who don't see the magic within you.

Many thanks to NetGalley and Annick Press for the advance copy.
This story was clearly ahead of its time. I love the script flip and my daughters laughed at the princess’ cleverness.
The paper bag princess is a delightful classic! It’s definitely does not disappoint!

Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Not my favorite Munsch book but definitely a fun book for kids. Great illustrations and creative story. Thank you to the publisher for my copy of this book.
Growing up, The Paper Bag Princess was always one of my favourite stories. My brothers and I were big fans of Robert Munsch books, but this one held a special place in my heart. Maybe it was because I was always having to defend myself against annoying little brothers, or because my name is also Elizabeth; either way, this book stuck. It showed me that girls can be smart and brave and fight battles for themselves, and no one can ever tell them otherwise. Those lessons stuck with me, and are still important today.

Rereading this book as an adult was wonderful. The story has aged incredibly well, and still holds up as having important lessons for children, regardless of their gender. It still teaches girls to be strong and brave, but also teaches boys to be respectful (or be called a bum!).

The 40th anniversary edition also includes bonus content for adult readers: a note from Chelsea Clinton, a short article by Francesca Segal, and reflections from Ann Munsch as well. All of the extra content illustrates the impact that this story has had on generations, and how it will continue to play an important role for readers of all ages.

Thank you so much to the publisher (Annick Press) for an electronic copy of this book via NetGally. The Paper Bag Princess 40th anniversary edition came out on February 4, 2020, and can be purchased wherever books are sold.
In this edition, there are wonderfully insightful letters from people to whom the books touched throughout their lives. They remind us, as we eagerly devour the story for yet another time, that our feelings are nearly universal in regards to Elizabeth, and her adventure,
This story felt unfinished to me. I love the origin and history of it, but I didn't really like the story all that much. The illustrations were well-done and fit the story well.
I love how this book flips the role in classical fairytales where the damsel is in distress. I enjoyed reading about the princess using her wit to help the prince. This is a great book to read to children of any age.