A Study in Murder

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 27 Feb 2020

A light entertaining read set in the 1800s . The protagonist is a peer of the realm but hidden behind the demure lady is a murder mystery writer. She is also a bit of a blue stocking ahead of her time.
The characters are easy to become invested in as the plot unfolds.
 This is the first in a series .
The language is clean , the murder is not written grisly so the book can be enjoyed by many ages.
A new cozy mystery series that is off to a great start. The mystery was interesting and the characters engaging can't wait to read more.
A new author for me and the first book of a new series. The book is set  Bath in the late 1800s. The descriptions of Bath ere good.I found it easy reading; however One of my pet peeps is royal names every page and there are plenty. The protagonist did not bound with me. For me, she was spoil creature and felt she did have to consider other people's feelings. It never answered the question that kept me reading

Thanks to Crooked Lane Books for a copy.  The opinions are my own.
Well...you can definitely see that this author is new to writing mysteries because the plot waaaaanders around and it actually gets kind of boring in the middle. However, I would definitely read another book in the series because I like the characters and would love to revisit them. Not bad. Definitely worth the read.
Thanks so much for the ARC of A Study in Murder the first in a new cozy historical mystery series by Callie Hutton. This was a lot of fun to read -- finished it in one day. Lady Amy was a strong character that defied the molds women were supposed to fit during her time. The setting of Bath was perfect. I enjoyed getting lost in this mystery!
This book is a historical cozy mystery.  It had all the standard elements but just didn’t grab me.
Fans of this sub genre of cozies will enjoy it.
I had a great time reading this book.  I love period mysteries.  I liked the characters.  I enjoyed the story.  There were parts of the story line, murder investigation that didn't really work for me so that part was weak.  I am looking forward to reading more of this series and I am hoping that as it goes, the story lines get stronger.  I like the characters enough to keep going for the time being. I am looking forward to seeing if the romance progresses with our main character sleuths.
The story starts on a promising note, turns lengthy in the middle and ends abruptly. I liked the main characters - Amy and Lord Wethington. They make a good pair - as a couple and as sleuths.  A mystery author as the main suspect in her ex-fiance's murder, a book club, drug trade and addiction and everything Victorian, this story had a lot of potential. Somehow, it failed to impress me.

The mystery is good enough. There is so much tension and suspense built up until the end so an abrupt ending is not what I expected.

Overall, this was an okay read.
This is an appealing story, set in Victorian England.  Lady Amy is a mystery writer in a time before women were accepted in that role.  But when she suddenly finds herself in the role of suspect in an actual murder, she is faced with the necessity of clearing her name.

I found this an absorbing story--it held my interest throughout.  My thanks to author, publisher, and NetGalley for providing an advance copy to read and review.
The start of a new mystery series is always quite fun. This one has interesting characters and intriguing story lines.   I can't wait till the next book!
Book One of A Victorian Book Club Mystery

Lady Amy Lovell writes mysteries. In England. In the 1890s. Her father isn't happy about that and wishes she would use a different name at least.

The tale begins in Bath, England where Amy has received a letter from a mystery person telling her that her fiance', Ronald St. Vincent, has been engaging in some disturbing and illegal activities. She immediately breaks off the engagement.

A  few days later as Amy is awaiting the arrival of a fellow book club member, Lord William, who should show up at her door but the recently ex-fiance'. She has him sent to the library but when she enters all she sees is his dead body with a knife in it.

As Lord William arrives to find a screaming Amy, the police also arrive and promptly suspect her of murder.

Now she and her friend will have to try and find out who did the deed before Amy goes to the gallows!

I enjoyed this first book in what I hope will be a series. It started slow but was soon going well. The characters were well done. Historical Fiction Cozy Mysteries are the best! You learn so much while you try and solve the mystery.

NetGalley/ May 12th, 2020 by Crooked Lane Books
Overall, I quite enjoyed this new series; I do wish she was a little less headstrong and he was a little less of a prude, but found it enjoyable and that I wasn’t too annoyed by the protagonists.
This was an intriguing  mystery book club story set in Bath 1890 and featuring a female mystery writer. The plot was well-defined and the characters were certainly interesting. I look forward to a sequel.
I love the start of this new series. Combining an independent woman who writes mysteries during the Victorian era with a bit of a romantic relationship with her bookclub friend makes for a different twist in this genre.
It is always enjoyable to lose yourself in time and in a good read, and this book is definitely the ticket to losing yourself for a while. Well executed plot and full bodied characters make this a read you do not want to put down.
First in a new series themed around a Victorian Book Club in Bath. My presumption was that the book club read Victorian mysteries, not that it was a book club set in Victorian times. Although it was well written and plotted, I'm a bit over books set in Victorian times and found it hard going (hence the length of time it took to read this).

That is entirely my issue and has nothing to do with the book itself, which is a reasonable mystery and an enjoyable read the further in you get.

I won't be continuing, but this is recommended for anyone who loves Victoriana.
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I normally don't like historical books but enjoyed this one. I felt that it was a little long in the middle, it took a long time to get anywhere in the investigation. The ending was a bit abrupt and surprising who the culprit was. I like to read the next one and hope that the two main characters relationship continues to progress.  #AStudyinMurder #NetGalley
Honestly, I'm really not one for British cozies, but I read this anyway because it looked interesting. And it was a fun read. Two things bothered me, there was often a lack of continuity in the storyline. In one case, Eloise is asking her a question and in the same scene it says how Eloise skipped the dance in favor of a movie with her cousin. The other issue I had is that the second murder was not addressed at all once the culprit was unmasked. The resolution left me with more questions than answers. That being said, it was still a fun read and maybe I'm just not familiar with British historical cozies and that's why I didn't understand certain things about the story.
A solidly crafted mystery with interesting characters and a nice sense of place. Would recommend.

Many thanks to the author, NetGalley, and the publisher for an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I'm a big fan of historical mysteries and this one didn't disappoint. The book is well written and the characters are enjoyable. This is a fun whodunit and will certainly provide you with a great day of reading.