When I Killed My Father

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 24 Jan 2020

Different to what I'vedread before.
Enjoyed reading this one. Left me very conflicted on how I felt about it.  I can understand why it was done. And to begin with I thought the sister was behaving over the top....then I thought I'd react the same as her.
I am grateful to have been approved for this book. I asked for it because I am a proponent of allowing a person to die when they’re terminally ill or fighting a disease that cannot and will not be won.
I believe in the right-to-die choice, and this is why: I have worked in the fringes of the medical profession most of my life. I’m in awe of the research being done, and the successes being met; however, medicine has achieved so much that, in many cases, a sick patient can be kept alive for an indefinite period of time. My question has been, “but should we?” In any number of instances, the answer should be no.
I felt the pain endured by Lamar and the anger felt by Andrea in this book. I can’t tell you how many times I found myself sighing or gasping or saying “oh NO, you DIDN’T.” The story was that impactful.
Psychologist Lamar Rose is an educated, methodical, thoughtful man who gets pressured into killing his father, by his father.  Lamar's father Robert, suffering from cancer and dementia, exerts his forceful personality on Lamar and essentially bullies him into euthanizing him.  Andrea, Lamar's sister, an unhappy and somewhat needy woman, figures out that what her brother did.  She then launches a full scale attack on him, beginning at the funeral, when she announces Lamar's deed to everyone there.  The story goes back in forth in time a bit, but is so well written that it is easy to follow, allowing the reader to understand Lamar better, and how his life has shaped his beliefs and actions.  There are several interesting characters, and the story is not really a happy one, but it is truly an interesting one and certainly well worth reading.  I strongly recommend this book.

Thank you to Netgalley, the author John Byrne Barry, and the publisher Page-turners With a Conscience Press for the opportunity to read this absorbing book.  This is my honest opinion.
I would recommend this book.
Review given honestly and freely after receipt of a reader copy. This opinion is completely my own and was not influenced in any way.  Thanks to Net Galley and the publisher.
Thanks to the publishers and Netgalley for the opportunity to read this book.

I had great thoughts going into this book as I was intrigued by the title and description, dealing with such a controversial topic. Although I did enjoy reading it, I did not find it much of a page-turner and had myself going back a forth for weeks trying to push myself to read it,

In regard to what it deals with, this is a thought-provoking book with well-written characters however I would not call it a thriller/mystery in any sense as it is described as. I'm interested to read other reviews and comments on the book to see other reader's points of view and thoughts on what the story told.
While the topic is very interesting and unique and really does a great job of showing sides and making you think, i would not consider this a riveting read and it is definitely not a thriller. There was no mystery, no tension, just a This is what happened and now we will follow along with the characters as we see what happens next. Again, it’s a very thought provoking book and i can see why some might enjoy it but the writing style and pace was just not up to my speed.
Lamar, a conscientious and moral man, finds himself in a serious moral dilemma when his father, suffering from both terminal cancer and severe dementia, asks him, several times in moments of lucidity, to “help” him die, which, shortly into this wild ride, he does.

Thinking he had a foolproof plan, Lamar prepares for life as usual. However, his plans are thwarted when his sister, Andrea, accuses him of  murder - from the church pulpit at the funeral, no less.

Without planning to become a media sensation, Andrea does and the attacks on Lamar from the media are vicious, vitriolic, and unending. Meanwhile, his marriage is falling apart as his wife is in the throes of a deep depression, that not even Lamar, a psychologist with offices in Albuquerque (where he lives) and Santa Fe, cannot break through. He tells his wife that he’s moving out and moves to a fringe community in Santa Fe, a community of mismatched, drug using booze swilling folk who do not want anyone bothering them.

While clearly the underlying message is whether assisted suicide for terminally ill or demented people is a moral issue that deserves more open discussion, and the book is definitely a serious look at the subject, there are parts that are very funny. At several points along the way of Lamar’s strange journey, I asked myself if I were reading a satire.

John Byrne Barry is a terrific author. He makes every character come to life and be relatable. The only other writer that I know of who takes a serious moral or ethical issue and crafts a story around it is the prolific Jacob M. Appel. Mr. Barry has done the same in this book.
Well written, excellent read.
Plot had depth and characters well defined
Great book.
Thank you to both NetGalley and publishers for giving me the opportunity to read this book in exchange for my review
Many thanks to the publisher via netgalley for the digital ARC.

This indeed was a page turner. Although i really wouldn't support or approve of any assisted suicide, this was really interesting to.read about. A fast paced read with lots of self evaluation regarding issues such as these among loved ones
Lamar Rose's father, Robert, had terminal cancer and worsening dementia. Robert had begged and pleaded to Lamar, a psychotherapist, to end his life. Lamar's mother had passed 6 ears ago.

One night, Lamar (with a tank of nitrogen gas) decides it is time to grant his father his last wish. Not without a hitch, Lamar's plan to assist his father is complete. Since his father had lived in Chicago, Lamar travelled from New Mexico frequently to visit his dad. After seeing his father die, Lamar returns to New Mexico.

Meanwhile, Lamar's sister, Andrea, gets "the call" from the retirement home to let her know that her father had passed. She is angry. She had finally been communicating with her dad (so she thought) and he was not yet ready to die. An inconvenience for her?

At Robert's memorial service, which is well attended, Andrea announces, from the pulpit, that Lamar killed his father. The mourners (and the press) are shocked. Things really heat up when Andrea meets Paula, an activist against any type of assisted suicide. Paula and Andrea go on TV and the press eats it up-  Andrea comes across as an angry, self-serving bitch. This action demands Lamar lawyer up and start a defense.

This where the story really heats up!

Great character development. Superb, unique plotline, and a fast read.

A Must READ!

Many Thanks to IBPA and NetGalley for a super read!