Cover Image: How to Embroider Almost Everything

How to Embroider Almost Everything

How to Embroider Almost Everything by Wendi Gratz is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in mid-November.

Gratz teaches basic stitches in order to create themed motifs on different kinds of fabric. She covers embroidery stitches (as well as how to problem-solve pesky issues0 and their variations fairly quickly, then shows the stenciled transfer and finished product on fabric, such as cute, dot-eyed creatures, symbols, text, and (my personal favorite) paisley.
This book provides a huge range of images, from people and animals, to buildings and flora. Also included are simple borders and an alphabet. I appreciate that it provides you with everything needed to create lovely embroidered designs, including instructions and advice on fabric, basic stitches and more.

I have not yet used the designs, but I plan on embroidering a hoop using the dinosaur images because they are so sweet! Although, my favourite design was the jellyfish.

I only wish that some final designs were also given, laid out as to how you would decorate a hoop. I'm not great at envisioning final products, so I would have liked to see the combinations of borders and designs together in a completed layout.
There are 126 pages in this book, minus the credits and ISBN stuff. 25 of them are about materials and how to sew.

Thankfully the rest of the book is very cute and informative, there are some lovely things to embroider especially the space creatures and the dinosaurs. They do all use one kind of thread which the author tells us is DMC6 strand but I suppose you could use a different type if you didn’t have access to that.

Cute and fun, I think the designs look easy as well as would work for beginners as well as the more advanced and, despite my annoyance at the Materials section it did give some handy hints on transferring your designs.
How To Embroider Almost Everything is going to be a really useful book in my craft book collection, one that I’m sure I’ll use often.  This book would be great for beginners or even more advanced embroiders. The layout is great, it’s easy to follow and it has A LOT of stitch patterns! I would definitely recommend!
I loved this fun book. I’ve just started embroidery and I loved the easy quirky designs which would be useful in many creations.

I loved the illustrations which included a outline of each design along with a colour finished project with thread suggestions.

I definitely want to put this little book on my Christmas wish list , it will be a great reference book to hopefully progress my embroidery skills . Thank you to netgalley and the publishers for my chance to read this lovely book.
I have been looking for an embroidery book for a long time that has patterns in it that I would actually use.  This book is what I have been looking for!  These patterns are practical and easy for a beginner to use plus it describes how to do all the stitches that you would need to do the patterns with.
I think this book would be great for beginners! It is very straightforward and helpful on how to get started.

The patterns and illustrations are very simple and do not require any difficult stitches. The book doesn't lie - she provides patterns for lots of items (almost everything!)

However, I think for the more experienced embroiderer, this book would not be for them.
Absolutely amazing! I loved every minute of it. It was so informative yet fun. As someone who loves to embroider, it taught me things even I didn't know. Great job. 5/5 stars
What an awesome resource!! As someone who has been wanting to learn to embroider, this book was extremely helpful in this process. I love how the pictures and explanations make the new learner feel like they can accomplish learning how to embroider.
I must admit I expected something else from this book. I thought it was going to be about embroidery in different kind of materials, like paper, for example. But it actually was about different shapes and objects. Which is not something bad, just not what I was looking forward to when I requested the book. I highly recommend this book for people who want to lear embroidery but are afraid by the different stitches. In this book you have the basic stitches well explained and there's A LOT of different templates so you can embroider different motifs on blankets, pillow cases, and so on. It's a really good book if you want to start trying your hand at embroidery and has very diverse patterns.
Superspeed readers like me can read 150 - 200+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. LOL

How to Embroider Almost Everything is an inspiring, fun, and sophisticated collection of 500+ stitch motifs from embroidery designer Wendi Gratz that offers a fresh new take on embroidery. Get a detailed checklist of everything you’ll need to embark on your stitch journey: threads, needles, fabric, and more. Find step-by-step tutorials for essential stitches and other techniques for creating the motifs, plus answers to common questions and invaluable tips and tricks.

Explore an amazing 500+ modern motifs for almost everything, including people and pets, trees and flowers, everyday objects, food, home, and more. Either re-create the motifs exactly as shown using the accompanying templates and stitch guides, or give them your own creative spin by changing details and colours to suit your own style. How to Embroider Almost Everything helps you take your first steps to embroider to your heart’s content and creating beautiful drawings with needle and thread!

Each book in the Almost Everything series offers readers a fun, comprehensive, and charmingly illustrated visual directory of ideas to inspire skill-building in their creative endeavours.

This is a great little craft book for an endeavour that does not cost much - so many crafts call for such a large outlay of cash before starting and this is not one of these books. I like how it started from scratch and took you through skill-building endeavours so that any person of any level could learn from the book. The illustrations are great and this is a great book for craft devotees into needlework and quilters who are looking for ways to embellish their works.

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials" on Instagram and Twitter..get a real job, people!) so let's give it 🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵
This book is full of easy to follow instructions and many cute patterns to help you learn to embroider.
This was a fantastic book! Very easy to follow instructions with clear pictures to walk you through things step by step. There were also lots of very cute examples and patterns to help get you started. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who is looking to get started embroidering and is looking for simple and easy instructions and inspiration.
Just got started in embroidery and am always looking around for cute doodles that I can turn into stitch art. This book looks perfect for that. Lots of variety (animals, plants, pirates, space) and easy shapes that still come out nicely. Some good tips for beginners at the front end of the book as well!

I received this book in exchange for a free review, but all opinions are my own.
This book has an abundance of cute whimsical doodles turned stitches. The layout is pretty simplistic.
There is a very short section with a few basic stitch examples ( a very small section, making this more of an inspiration book over instruction) This makes the book more appealing for seasoned crafters because most of the space is dedicated to ideas rather than a re-hashing of technical stuff. There is enough info on the basic stitches, and it may be all that is needed for the ideas in the book.

Each page of examples is followed by a black and white page with the designs. This allows you to copy exactly or use as inspiration and do your own thing! The book includes examples of techniques the author uses to transfer designs but many are simple enough to freehand with a water soluble pencil if you are a doodler. Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a digital ARC to review.
I received a free digital advanced review copy through NetGalley. A comprehensive, visually appealing, and easy to follow guide.
This is a perfect beginner book for anyone wanting to start embroidering their own designs.  The projects consist of simple pictures based on a subject and there is a good variety of ideas mainly in a fun simple style.  It is a very inviting book and will encourage lots of people to have a go.  Different stitches and methods are introduced but all the designs and ideas can so easily be adapted or added to.  I think this is an excellent resource that makes embroidery accessible.
Full of simple charming drawings for all sorts of things, this book is a great resource for the embroiderer. The first pages are an introduction. Besides the usual stuff about materials and tools, there are detailed instructions on how to embroider on different types of fabric and plenty of useful tips. A stitch dictionary with the basic stitches used in these pieces follows.

The bulk of the book are the designs. Each category has a two-page spread. On one page you'll find the drawings with thread color numbers listed on them. The facing pages have all the designs stitched. I like that the examples are on different colors of fabric, making for a cheery look. The drawings are simple and in a doodle-like modern folk art style. But they are not simple outlines, they have enough detail to make them quite charming as stand-aline designs.

This books an excellent resource for the beginning embroiderer.
This is such a fun little book. I have been dabbling in embroidery off and I am so excited about this book. It is quirky and ad inspirational. I enjoyed the simplicity of the designs and the information on transitioning to different fabric types. This is s a great beginners book and it had tons of fun patterns. It was perfect for my skill level. I received this book from NetGalley for an honest review.
What a lovely book!!!  It is full of great designs and ideas. I didn’t know about Wendi Gratz but she has a new fan!