Trending

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

I have many students who only check out nonfiction books. Books showing how things are made are very popular. This is similar concept to that, and I feel it will have a long list of kids waiting to read it.
I absolutely loved this one. It was just the right length, had lots of interesting information about all manner of trends, and... I did not write the review of it quickly enough to retain information over Christmas!

So many interesting things. I love popular culture, and this had everything from pet rocks to Beanie Babies. The illustrations are great and will entice my graphic novel readers to pick this one up.
Trending, by Kira Vermond, is a well-designed and written book about the current power of popularity. In this nonfiction book, kids will be introduced to all types of trends that have happened throughout history. It tells about the good, bad, and weird things that have grown immensely popular to the point that they are earned the title of a "trend."

Trending was so much more than I expected it would be. When I first saw this book, I assumed it would be all about social media trends. While it does mention social media at points, many of the trends that were highlighted happened years ago during times when social media, and even cell phones, were nonexistent.

Trending is fascinating, and I found myself engrossed with all the information I was learning. The book will absolutely trigger the interset of students today, and it is a great new addition to the nonfiction world of children's literature.

I would recommend this book for kids that are reading at a middle school, or above level, It has a lot of text, and it is not a super easy read. There is nothing inappropriate in the book. It's just complex and readers need to be able to have the skills necessary to understand and breakdown all that they will learn in this book.

As a fourth grade teacher, I could definitely see my high-level students doing pretty well with this book. It would be the best fit for those students that truly do have advanced nonfiction reading skills. It is a challenging, but well-worth-it read!
Examples of trends in this book include Crocs, Pokemon Go, Hula Hoops, Hobble Skirts, baby names, anti-vaccination movement, quinoa, Starbucks Unicorn Frap, Beanie Boos, slime, Nazi propoganda, the Stock Market Crash of 1929, Mona Lisa, the Payola Scandal, anesthesia, and Fondue.

Topics covered: supply/demand, dopamine, individualism, exposure effect, STEPPS, investors, information cascades, stocks, Robert Zajonc, scarcity, advertisements, mania, sunk cost fallacy, progoganda

Independent reading level 8 years old-11 years old.

Ch. 1 (p.6-15) "What Makes a Fad a Fad?- How seemingly random toys, games, and fashion turn into the NEXT BIG THING", Ch. 2 (p.16-25) "Spread The Word- How fads and the ideas and feelings that drive them spread and catch fire", Ch. 3 (p.26-35) "Made, Not Born- How some fads are carefully crafted to make us want to jump on board", Ch. 4 (p.36-45) "Bad Fads- How fads can have serious and even dangerous effects", Conclusion p. 46, Index p. 48, Selected Sources p.48

My Thoughts:
Trends, fads, and popularity cannot always be proven using science or economics alone. This book takes into account other elements that can help provide popular trends. For example, it notes that sometimes trends start just by word of mouth.

However, trends do not always stem from one single cause; and instead of providing the different and various reasons that provoked the trend, it only focuses one one solid reason behind each trend. For example, this book contributes the popularity of fondue as a result of Swiss advertisements alone. Rather than involving other factors, fondue is stated to have been a trend solely because of Swiss ads. But, I can see that by keeping it simple allows it to be more comprehensible for kids. In order for kids to understand easily, these are surface level explanations.

I recommend this book for classrooms.
Thank you to NetGalley and OwlKids Books for an advanced copy. Opinions are my own.
Earc from netgalley.

This will appeal to readers who enjoy getting to learn about new topics with more of a graphic novel format. It was fine, just not one of my favorites.
I enjoyed this as trip down memory lane! I think it's geared toward 3-8th graders. It's interesting to learn how trends get started (I've lived through enough of them to recognize them when I see them!) But it's entertaining, too. Kids will recognize some of these, other's will be new. It's a fun, quick read on a fun topic. I think a lot of different ages might enjoy taking a peek!
Trying to explain how certain things become hype/popular/trending. It was okay I guess, but can,t say i really get anything out of it, maybe I was too old, it was obviously intent for younger readers, teens or young adult, not badly done, but just not enough depth to the explanation for me!