Golden Threads

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

I absolutely loved this book. It is a beautiful story based in  kintsugi (repairing cracked and broken pottery with gold). It is a story about finding beauty in broken and imperfect things. The illustrations perfectly illustrate the story.
I think this book deserves 5 stars for the illustrations alone. There is a beautiful layered textural paper look.

The linguistic flow of the text is something I’m not used to, but really enjoyed. The message or “lesson” of the book would be lost on very young children, but I believe it would be meaningful to those of a school age. There are many opportunities through reading this book to engage in conversation with your child about Japanese culture. I, reading this as an adult, took to google to ask a few questions of my own so I imagine this book could turn into a cultural learning opportunity for those of us who do not have a Japanese background. For the slightly older child I believe the text lends itself to exploring different related activities, which could really bring the story to life.

Disclaimer: I received a free digital copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. My opinions are my own.
Golden Threads is softly stunning, visually and in its storytelling. A plush fox takes a tumble from his child Emi's home in a big storm, and is swept far away. Battered and torn, a man finds him, bringing him to a girl named Kiko. She sews him up with golden thread, much like kintsugi pottery. Seasons pass, but the fox still misses Emi. Perhaps the beautiful gingko tree from his house can lead him and Kiko there? Sweet, kind, and loving, a lovely book about getting lost, healing, and coming home.
This was another beautiful story that is inspired by a Japanese art form. The story finds Emi’s stuffed fox get blown away in a strong wind. He goes through a lot and when found by a kind old man, he is torn and losing his stuffing. The man repairs the fox using gold threads. He gives the fox to his granddaughter Kiko. She loves it, but then realizes that someone else lost it and is probably sad. She sets out with her grandfather to follow the path he might have taken to find the original owner. Of course, Emi and Kiko become fast friends. This is a cute story and my grandchildren enjoyed it. We talked about losing a favourite toy and how we feel, we discussed what to do when we find something that obviously belongs to someone else, and we also talked about repairing things instead of throwing them out. The last one was very dear to them as their Nonno has repaired their favourite toys many times. The back of the book talked about the Japanese art form of kintsugi, or golden joinery where repairing something makes valuable as it has a story to tell. This would be a wonderful book to read for the above mentioned discussion points as well as when you are learning about the environment and the “3 Rs”, but add a fourth, repair. I definitely recommend this one to primary/junior classrooms, schools and family libraries.
The textured illustrations are sublime, and the text is as light and beautiful as a trail of ginkgo leaves on a lake.
Now here's a children's book with a topic that kids can misinterpret. Kintsugi is the art of not just repairing but also finding love and acceptance in the imperfect. It's about accepting growth and decay. For destructive children, this can mean finding an excuse to break things. But that's missing the point. The philosophy of wabi-sabi intersects with the philosophy of ikigai here. Being open to acceptance does not always mean accepting people's faults as though they're normal. After all, something that can be made pretty on the outside hides some ugly truths. The fact that a lonely child can hear a stuffed toy's desires means a lot. The stuffed fox can very well accept his new home, but there is always something calling to him. The new child knows that she cannot keep the toy, as it would just make the toy upset.
The purpose of ikigai is to find what part of the foundation can stay afloat. It's a struggle but kintsugi teaches that this struggle and need to repair is not just physical. Repairing oneself also makes them grow more beautiful. This is a philosophy that many writers should know more about.
This heartwarming book tells the story of Emi and her beloved stuffed fox. They are inseparable.  One day a huge storm arrives and her cherished fox is caught up in the severe weather assault and  is whisked away.  Little fox is battered, badly damaged, and all alone.  Where is his Emi? Why doesn't she come and find him?

Fortunately an old man is out for a walk and discovers the fox's limp, tattered body. Tenderly he picks him and takes him back to his home and presents him to his granddaughter Kiko.

Kiko recognizes his value.  Thus begins the long process of restoring him with tender loving care.

She washes away the mud that is caked on him, plucks the seeds that are nestled deep in his fur and stitches him together with tiny golden stitches.  After many seasons pass she finally figures out his origin and she and her grandfather take him back to his dearly loved Emi.  The girls become friends and revel together in the fact that little fox is now very happy to be back home where he belongs.

The book is reminiscence of "The Velveteen Rabbit" ( one of my favourites of all times) and the illustrations are gorgeous.  They enrich the story so much and I love them.  "Golden Threads" is inspired by the Japanese art form of kintsugi, or golden joinery, where broken pottery is repaired with resin painted gold. Kintsugi values repairing, rather than replacing, believing that the cracks give the broken item its story. This book is also a warm celebration of wabi-sabi, the Japanese idea that there is beauty in things that may be incomplete or imperfect.  I highly recommend this book.
Golden Threads is a wonderful little story of a fox doll that is happily enjoying it’s life with its owner, Emi. They would spend their days playing under the ginko tree near their home on the mountain.

One day, a mighty storm hit their home and Fox was whisked away by the wind.

Battered and torn, Fox was found by a man out on a walk and was brought home to his daughter, Kiko. Kiko loved Fox as much as Emi did, and stitched him up with gold thread, but she also knew there was a little boy or girl out there that missed Fox terribly.

Every stitch of gold thread tells a story and makes old, used things new again.

Del Rizzo’s story of Fox’s adventure away from home is wonderfully accented by Sato’s illustrations.

This heart-warming tale will encourage children to give their dolls new stories.

Thank you NetGalley and OwlKids Books for the opportunity to read an advance reader copy.
If you can read Golden Threads without getting a little choked up, you might have a heart of stone. This is a sweet story about friendship, being lost and then found again, and above all else, healing.

A little stuffed fox tells his story to the reader of the day he was taken from his little girl, Emi, by a storm. On the far side of a lake, a grandfather finds the battered toy and takes him home to Kiko, who's dealing with her own injury. The fox worries that Emi won't want him in his current state. Kiko understands, and sets about making repairs, using golden thread to stitch up all of his tears and wounds. Kiko also knows that someone is bound to be looking for the special little fox, and months later, she and her grandfather set out to find his true home.

The story is lovely enough, but the illustrations are really special. They look like paper and fabric collage, which is perfect for showing the little fox's broken and healed states.

I really enjoyed this one. I'd recommend it to readers looking for books about beloved toys, and those who enjoy books like The Velveteen Rabbit or The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane.
This book is beautiful! The story and the illustrations work together to create a really lovely package about friendship, loss, nature and love.
Golden Threads
By Suzanne Del Rizz
“Golden Threads is inspired by the Japanese art form of kintsugi, or golden joinery, where broken pottery is repaired with resin painted gold. Kintsugi values repairing, rather than replacing, believing that the cracks give the broken item its story. This book is also a warm celebration of wabi-sabi, the Japanese idea that there is beauty in things that may be incomplete or imperfect.”
I love the idea of repairing or reusing something that was broken. It reminds me of The Great Depression saying, “Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without.” So much of what we have today is disposable without thought of what happens to the waste. This story, however, missed the point for me and became a story of a fox finding his way back home rather then an object being fixed to find new life. The illustrations, however, were on point being whimsical, colorful and fun to look at.
I enjoyed the picture journey and story but was disappointed the description built it up to be something it wasn’t.

I received a copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for my honest review shared here.
ARC Copy...The Japanese paper art style illustrations were beautiful to behold and I did like the theme of the colour gold "threading" elements together whether it's between new friends, different POVs or the vivid descriptions of the elements of nature.
I love that this book is about a lost treasure (stuffed fox) that when found busted and battered it is not thrown away, but cared for cleaned up and repaired.  Eventually the fox is reunited with it's original owner and the story of it's journey becomes a treasure too.  A beautiful story for youngsters about taking care to repair things instead of throwing them out as they begin to show some wear.
Beautiful story with stunning artwork.  This is a must have at any library for all to enjoy!  Nothing better than the story of a lost toy that finds its way home.
A beautiful story about a stuffed animal that gets lost and finds a new home with a new little girl. The illustrations are absolutely beautiful. Children are sure to enjoy this story.
What I Loved: The illustrations in this book were beautiful. The pictures had such texture, you felt like if you touched the page, you would feel the grooves of fabric or the softness of a petal. These wonderful artistic touches made reading the book so wonderful.

How I Felt: The story was so sweet. The love that Emi shares for her fox shows in the words of the story. When the fox is lost, and damaged, the care that Kiko shows after finding him, sends a wonderful message about caring for things. Just because they are broken, does not mean they cannot be mended.

To Read or Not To Read: This book is perfect for every child. It’s a beautiful story. It is perfect for Kindergarten to 3rd grade.

What’s This Book About Anyway?
Emi loves her stuffed animal fox. A storm comes through and fox is blown away and very damaged. A man finds fox and gives him to Kiko, who spends many months caring for him and putting him back together. She is able to figure out where he is from, and takes him home.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for this ARC in exchange for my honest review.
Sweet story, about a toy fox lost in a storm. It fit right in with what I know of wabi-sabi!  anther person finds the battered toy and presents it to another girl, who cleans and repairs the toy fox. I think children 4 and p will appreciate this story. The illustrations are paper cut and I imagine will look lovely in color (I only have a Kindle). Just enough suspense to keep the kiddos interested! great story!
This is a lovely book. The pictures are beautiful and the theme of the story is wonderful. I like the concept of using golden thread to make something whole again. A lovely picture book for children.
This is a beautiful, beautiful picture book! The message is deep and timeless. I really loved it! It begs to be read over and over!
Charming story that teaches the lesson that things repaired are sometimes better than before. Cute art and wonderful life lesson.