THE MANOR HOUSE MURDER

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 22 Nov 2019

Give me all the thrillers, that comes with murder of course. Although I haven't read the other books in this series but this was so good and standalone.
A good read for the winter days
I can always count on Faith Martin to give me an entertaining read while I'm trying to solve the mystery before the reveal.  Her cozy mysteries are a favorite of my group.  Excellent set up  and an interesting group of characters.
Unfortunately I was unable to finish this. The book held promise at first but quickly went downhill for me. At 30% completion, still no one had been murdered. Add to that the string of moving people. I found it difficult to keep the multitude of characters and their associated story lines straight.
A satisfying cosy murder mystery, thoroughly satisfying twists and an unexpected solution!

Life at the vicarage is more eventful than one might expect!
I don’t know if this book belonged to the cozy mystery genre, but this ecclesiastical mystery regaled me with insights into the church system as well as possible wrongdoings, misconducts, not to mention power struggles which may or may not be rampant yet well hidden beneath the surface.

Everything about this book felt very refreshing to me like a breath of fresh air. Knowing nothing about the ecclesiastical system, the titles, ranks, and names did indeed confuse me a little yet once I got the character dynamics down pat, I got to navigate myself through the book no problem.  This is the third book in the series and I haven’t read any of the previous books (as usual), but I didn’t have any problem reading this book. This can totally work as a stand-alone.

The author wove a very solid, entertaining murder mystery imbued with a rustic, unassuming, small town vibe. The characters are all well fleshed out even down to the secondary characters, and the superficial, sycophantic yet biting exchanges are jumping off the pages, adding a lot of intrigue as well as establishing a solid foundation of the story.
The execution was so nice that I didn’t feel sad at all when the first murder happened, this makes me look evil though.

In my eyes, the development until the first murder was so strong and engaging but the ensuing part - the investigative part - came across a bit lackluster and rather monotonous. The hints and allusions are thrown in and the mystery is complex, but none of the hints or evidence is conclusive hence the investigation hits a dead end and I found myself just along for the ride, kept turning pages wondering if this would end up underwhelming.

It all changed when the story hit the last 10% mark. Monica Noble, a wife of a local vicar has an uncanny flair in nailing down suspect(s) and has supposedly solved the previous two cases. Obviously (as the series title suggests), this book is no exception and she plays an integral role in wrapping up the murder mystery and leading us to the real culprit.
While the process of her reaching the conclusion was not detailed nor described at each point the story, it is well explained in Monica’s monologue recounting her thoughts to the police. I must say it made perfect sense and I had to nod my head in approval.

That’s of course not the end of the story. A mad rush of pursuit of the culprit ensues, the tension and suspense here is absolutely noteworthy, getting me hooked on adrenaline, making it hard to put it down.

The overall pacing is solid and steady, the tension that I mentioned earlier totally made up for the lulls in the middle that I felt.

More than anything, the Nobles are a really nice team. Monica and Graham love and trust each other, and I particularly adored they fit in the community so well with Graham being compassionate and genuinely honest and Monica playing a humble vicar’s wife role nicely. She doesn’t stand out too much nor being obnoxious, I haven’t come across many mystery books whose protagonists don’t ruffle my feathers, and I can praise this solely for that.

All in all, The Manor House Murder is a strong read with a traditional, what I think Agatha Christie-ish vibe attached to it.
This is my first book from Faith Martin but certainly won’t be my last. I’m inclined to go back to the first book and follow the entire series!

4 stars go to this book and I thank NetGalley and the publisher for generously providing me with a copy in exchange for my honest, unbiased review.
A good entry in the light crime genre. Most of the characters were believable and the story followed a credible plot. Well worth a read.
Another gripping and intriguing one from Faith Martin, where the plot thickens as a murderer with a devious mind mingles along with the elite of the churches. A mystery with an unusual cast where the Bishops and their wives along with the reverends and vicars and their wives show their weakness and flaws. This has been an enjoyable read.
Murder at the Manor House is the 3rd installment of Faith Martin’s Monica Noble series, also the first one I’ve ever read. It tells the story of a murder during a conference of clergy being held in the same town as the main character, Monica Noble, and her husband, the town’s Vicar, Graham Noble. During the conference, one of the vicars is killed and many of the fellow vicars who, despite their line of work, had motive to harm the victim. The murderer must be found before they kill again and the Nobles are in the thick of things as they, too, are among the suspected.

A wonderfully-written story, the one thing that stood to me the most was how much of an Agatha Christie-esque feel the writing had. With a large number of characters, Martin skillfully weaves their backgrounds and personalities together in such a way that the reader is just positive they know “whodunnit” but then is absolutely surprised at the end when all the clues are brought to light to reveal the true killer. It was wonderful and I couldn’t put it down because I just had to know what happened next!

This mystery stands well enough on its own as a stand-alone story, so any reader can jump in without feeling like they’re missing anything. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book despite not already having read the first two books in the series but look forward to going back and reading the first two as well as other series by Martin.

I read this book as an ARC from NetGalley and am voluntarily writing an honest review.
Faith Martin has established herself as one of my favourite writers. I love the light touch she brings to her cosy crimes and this book was no exception. Well written, with rounded characters, I have no hesitation in recommending this.

Thank you to NetGalley and to the publisher for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
The Manor House Murder is the third book in a series of cozy mysteries by Faith Martin.  I have not read the previous books but had no difficulty understanding this one. Like most series, I have no doubt that the characters grow in depth with each new book, and that references to earlier connections enhance the plot.
This book was a classic, almost Christie-like murder mystery, taking place in a large English manor house with a multitude of possible suspects.  It is a quick read  that keeps the reader interested and engaged.  The characters were not silly and did not employ foolhardy methods to solve the crime.  I think that makes this book stand out in a genre that is fun, but often unbelievably silly.
I want to thank NetGalley and the publisher for this ARC. I'm delighted to be introduced to this author and look forward to reading many of her books in the future.
The Manor House Murder was a fun and cozy mystery. Set in the English countryside during a church conference, the internal politics of a seemingly pious group of people is put on full display. With a large cast of characters, the author opens windows into each person and shows the internal struggle within even the most devout among us. This was a quick and fun mystery!
Thank you for a copy of this book!
Who knew vicars, bishops and other church types could harbor such murderous hearts? Monica Noble and her husband are once again drawn into a murder, this time of a not very likeable vicar.
Having read all of the previous Monica Noble stories by Faith Martin I knew what to expect with The Manor House Murder and I was not disappointed.

In her usual style, Faith Martin's protagonist finds herself caught up in a murder only this time her husband is one of the suspects.
Can she prove who really committed the crime and can the dashing detective Jason Dury stop his feelings for our amateur detective from compromising his investigation?

Another great book for an easy read on a cold winters night.

Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for a copy in exchange for an honest review.
Faith Martin, a popular writer best know for her series featuring DI Hillary Green.  As many know, Faith Martin is a pseudonym, used by Jacquie Walton.  She also writes using the pen names Maxine Berry and Joyce Cato. Originally the 3 books in this series used the Joyce Cato pen name.  They have been re titled and reissued with Faith Martin.. Book 3 The Manor House Murder, was originally titled An Unholy Mess.

This title reads comfortably as a stand alone.  The book opens with a carefully planned murder that is set to look like a suicide.  We then jump to the idyllic village of Heyford Bassett, where Monica and Graham are sharing their day, Graham tending to his parishioners, Monica finding clever ways to promote cat food. Their conversation is redirected when Graham shares the information pack for the pending conference.  The Manor House has been converted into a successful hotel and conference center.  The success of the enterprise has helped other villagers and is very highly regarded.  Thus the murder that happens at the conference also becomes a threat to the town.  Concern for Graham and for the town's well being draws Monica into the mystery.

Martin is skilled in developing engaging effective characters.  She easily produces suspects with believable motives for murder.` Here even Graham is a logical suspect.  Harking back to Christie's cozies, the murderer is still on hand.  The killer, increasingly frenzied, continues to murder putting everyone involved in peril.  This leads to a heart stopping conclusion,.  Many will be bleary eyed the next morning, This is a late night read.

Martin wrote a trilogy but left a few strings untied.  One hopes she may be enticed to visit Monica and Graham again.

Recommended

Full  disclosure: I received this ARC copy from netgalley and Joffe Books in exchange for an unbiased review.  Thank you for this opportunity.
This third book in the series, and I must say the series is getting better and better. This one had a very complex story line with lots of twist and turn and a very surprising ending which came out from left field.
Faith Martin book are really enjoyable, easy to read and have good storylines. I have read a few of her series and none so far has disappointed.
This is the 3rd book in the series Monica Noble  I think it is the best in the series yet, perfect for a quiet read on  a winter's day.

The local manor house, which is also a hotel and conference centre, is the venue for a weekend gathering of clergy. Attendees from various parts of the country are there along with some of their wives.  One of the clerics is taken ill at dinner, she's not a popular lady and unsurprisingly turns out to be the murder victim, the evidence shows her cause of death to be a peanut allergy.  Our old friend Chief Superintendent Jason Dury is sent to investigate, leaving Graham as one of the suspects..along with quite a few others.

Of course Monica cannot leave the investigation to run its course without getting involved, she feels compelled to prove her husband's innocence even though this places her in a dangerous position.

There are lots of clues, a great selection of characters throughout the book to keep you guessing and a nice and somewhat surprising twist at the end!  I loved it!

thank you Netgallery for an advance copy for an unbiased review
The Manor House Murder by Faith Martin is the third book in this "Monica Noble" murder mystery series. Monica Noble is the wife of a local vicar but is also drawn into being an amateur detective. Monica and Graham her Husband have been invited to a conference and dinner which was being held at the village manor house, which has been converted into a hotel. It  is owned by Sir Andrew Courtenay. There's an incident there. They have a nut allergy. She is the ambitious female cleric called Celia Gordon and she tragically dies.

Chief Superintendent Jason Dury is called to the scene,

Was this an accident or was it a murder?

Monica Noble was there and is very willing to help the local Police again.

Chef Superintendent Jason Dury quickly discovers that it's a case of murder.

There are lots of red herrings in throughout this book and even Monica's Husband is a suspect. Exciting!

It is a was a lovely quick read.

This book was first published as “AN UNHOLY SHAME” under Faith Martin’s pen name JOYCE CATO.

Big Thank NetGalley, Joffe Books and the author Faith Martin for my ARC in exchange for an honest review.
A religious  group is meeting at a  Manor House for a convention.  Revered Celia Gordon is poisoned by peanuts being in her dessert.  Which person in the group killed the unpopular Revered?
This is the third in the series with Monica Noble.  I had not read the other two but had no problem.  A good mystery to read fast
I can't add much to the many reviews, so I'll just say that this is a solid mystery. Faith is a talented, experience author who knows how to spin a good tale. Recommended.

I really appreciate the copy for review!
The Manor House Murder by Faith Martin is the third and last book in Monica Noble series.

In this installment Graham and Monica are invited to a church conference where many important colleagues of Graham's will be. Graham is a bit apprehensive as he has to give a speech and Monica is as always doing her best to support him.
Graham's old acquaintance cleric Celia is murder at dinner. Celia is not very liked and there are many who find her abrasive, but is it possible that one of clerics has killed someone?
Inspector Dury is sent to investigate the case  due to its high profile and he is not very happy to encounter Noble's again.

Author is very crafty as she is able to set the atmosphere and describe protagonists remarkably well with only a few  cleverly used words.
I especially enjoy the fact that at the beginning of the book we have a chance to get to know protagonists well and take a look into their lives.
As always it has that old classic mystery vibe which I really like even though it is contemporary story.
I also enjoy reading about interviews and policeman's thought process and investigative skills as they are being used to identify the killer.
Somewhat different than the previous books is the fact that main character isn't so involved into talking to possible suspects and we mostly get our perspective from Inspector Dury's point of view.

A great addition to the previous book and I for one am sorry it is to be the last installment in this series.