The Seven

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 30 Apr 2020

It's hard in the horror genre to find a truly unique premise, nevertheless a tale so well-written with believable characters that just naturally inspire empathy.  I loved this book, dark as it was.  It definitely won't be the last Kaine novel I read!

*Thanks to both the publisher and the author for allowing me to read an ARC of this book free of charge, in exchange only for an honest review."
I loved American Homemaker so I jumped at the chance to read this one! I'm not even sure how to describe it. Picture a gigantic jigsaw puzzle that even after the last piece is in place, you still look at it and say, "Wait? What???" It's a little like Dirty Harry meets Stephen King. Ok, forget the analogies. Just be prepared for literally anything to happen in this novel! Protagonist Jack Stone is called to a gruesome family murder that seems all too familiar to him as his family was killed and his younger brother abducted years ago. Of course this haunts him as he has his own demons with whom he must battle. Add to the mix his second wife and daughter, his friend and rogue detective, the FBI, the local thugs and drug dealers, and the creepy Seven (who are a mix of mythology and revenge-seeking men) who keep writing GIVE IT BACK at the crime scenes. There is a great deal of violence, blood, and gore, so many mysteries that your head will spin, and surprises on every page. And yet, I loved it! It is unlike any other murder mystery you've ever read (and I read A LOT)! And there'd better be a sequel Mr. Kaine because I still have lots of questions!!