Cover Image: Cross Her Heart

Cross Her Heart

Bree returns home to solve her sister's murder. While tracing her last days, Bree is hounded by memories of their own parents' deaths. Bree and her siblings huddled outside in the snow,  silent witnesses to their murder/suicide.
I felt like this book was pretty obvious.  It had a great twist. I most enjoyed the Deb's quiet friendship.  Great ending.
Brilliant story of murder, secrets and family history. I really enjoyed this story and all it’s twists and turns . A gripping page turner, I look forward to reading more from this author .
Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher and the author for providing me with the opportunity to read and review this book.

Melinda Leigh has yet to disappoint me! This is another solid detective mystery, another one I couldn’t put down. Her stories are totally absorbing and I appreciated the subtle reference to Lance Kruger and Scarlet Falls from her Morgan Dane series. Bree Taggert is another flawed but relatable heroine. Her backstory, ironically, is at the forefront of her character development, and she's an intriguing protagonist.

Spoiler alert: I liked, in particular, that some of the suspects were, in fact, guilty of lesser charges, even if not responsible for Erin’s murder. It would have been messy and unbelievable to try to clean up every suspect, especially with the implications of all the evidence against them. However, a few details wrap up a little too perfectly, like Dana deciding to stay to help with the kids, for example.
This series is going to be a good one. This book sets up the key characters going forward wow what a way to start a series.

Bree's sister is in trouble and that's probably the only reason she would ever return to her home town.  But before she can get there her sister is killed and now she has got to find her killer since she wasn't there to protect her. But more importantly she has to take care of her neice and nephew. They have lost their mother and Bree refuses to let them get hurt again.

Bree met Matt at her sister's wedding and now she sees him again at the sheriff's office, except this time he has a big German Shepherd dog with him but she is terrified of dogs so she tries to stay as far away as possible. But she will need Matt. Will she get over her fear of his dog?

Read the book to find out if Erin's husband is the one to kill her. What about the kids biological father? Will the courts let her keep the kids? He has made it clear he wants them. Will she be able to find out what happened to her sister? It's all a wonderfully sad read with a few highlights mixed in. I enjoyed this book very much.

I received this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Melinda Leigh is always a must read for me. This one is just as good if not better. She covers murders and police procedures like no other. Its action packed!! For this being the first in a new series I can't wait for the next.
I was immediately drawn into this story and didn't want to put it down!  Bree Taggert is a Philadelphia police detective with a traumatic past.  The book opens with Bree getting a voicemail from her sister who sounds anxious.  When Bree can't get a hold of her, she decides to go to Grey's Hollow to see her and try to help, but when she gets there it's too late.  Bree is a strong female character that also is able to show her emotions.  Matt, the other main character in the book, is a former police officer that was injured in the line of duty.  They team up to try to solve the mystery and also keep Bree's family safe.  I liked the direction that their friendship took and how well they worked together.  I also liked the supporting characters.  The story was engaging and is definitely a must-read.

I received a complimentary copy of this ebook from the publisher through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
Cross Her Heart is the first book in Melinda Leigh’s new series, Bree Taggert. This is a romantic suspense novel (heavy on the suspense) with a great storyline and fantastic characters.

The past comes back to haunted Philadelphia homicide detective Bree Tagger when she is forced to return home and deal with the murder of her sister.  Suddenly, Bree is faced with raising her niece and nephew, while investigating her sister’s death, finding her missing brother in-law and fighting off the kids’ estranged father. All this while dealing the memories of her parents’ murder-suicide.

Bree agrees to team up with up former sheriff’s investigator, K-9 handler Matt Flynn, and her brother in-laws best friend to investigate her sister’s death. But when danger comes at her from all directions, will Bree make the right decision to save those she loves? Read it and find out!

This story can be read as a standalone, however while the author hints at the budding relationship between the main characters, Bree and Matt,  it appears you will have to wait until the next book in the series to see if they get a HEA. I am looking forward to the next book in the series to see what happens next in Gray Hollow County. The suspense in the book was fantastic, but I’m hoping for a little more romance in the next book.

This is a voluntary review of a reader’s advance copy received from netgalley.
Bree Taggert is a Philadelphia homicide detective and has had a lot of tragedy in her life.  Her father  murdered her mother and it may be happening again with her sister.  Bree works tirelessly with the help of a former detective to solve her sister’s murder and protect her sister’s children.

What a great thriller.  I really connected with the characters.

I'm always looking for books that are in a series, I think I hit the jackpot with this author! I am looking forward to the next book!
Let me first start by saying that I absolutely LOVE Melinda Leigh's books, so it comes as no surprise to me that I instantly fell in love with the first book in the Bree Taggert Series, Cross Her Heart. I don't think that I can say that I have been disappointed by one of Leigh's books yet, so I don't figure I will start anytime soon!

This book was so full of mystery and whodunit, that it kept you wondering until the end, who was responsible for Bree's sister Erin's murder! This book had everything I look for in an entertaining mystery novel...a strong, independent, intelligent female protagonist who would much rather do things on her own, with an assorted past filled with mystery and intrigue, a full ensemble of secondary characters that fill in the book superbly , a thrilling and intense plot that kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time I was reading it, and all of this comes together perfectly to make the perfect mystery/thriller novel! Melinda Leigh sure knows what she's doing when it comes to writing! She has certainly found her calling!

This is actually probably one of my favorite books of Melinda Leigh's yet, and I absolutely am on pins and needles waiting for the next release in this series! Stellar writing!

I would like to take a moment to thank Netgalley, Montlock Publishing, and Melinda Leigh for providing me a copy of Cross Her Heart in return for an honest and unbiased review.
I loved Melinda Leigh's Morgan Dane series and couldn't wait for this new series to begin. Right from the start it was amazing. After moving away from Grey’s Hollow she rushes back to town after a frantic phone call from her sister Erin. Finding out that Erin has been killed makes Bree determined to find the one responsible for the murder. Amazing start to a new series. Highly recommended.
This would be a good holiday read . The introduction captures your interest immediately and the author creates strong characters who are very relatable. The story flows well and keeps the reader guessing to the end.
My thanks my thanks to Net galley, the publisher and the author for allowing me to read an advance copy in exchange for an honest review.
For Detective Bree Taggert, her life growing up was been rough as her parents’ deaths in a murder-suicide left a lasting impact on her and her two siblings. Now an adult, she finds herself back Grey’s Hollow and the memories there. Finding out her sister was murdered, her estranged husband missing, and considered a person of interest has Bree joining forces wit former deputy Matt Flynn to get to the bottom of the mystery. But as their investigation unfolds, Bree and Matt discover that danger lurks closer than they think as they close in on the murderer and this time the danger hits closer to home for Bree as her family is caught in the crosshairs of a dangerous individual determined to close all loose ends regardless the cost.

CROSS HER HEART is an amazing introduction to the new series by Melinda Leigh that is full of twists and turns that will leave the reader on the edge of their seat right up till the last page is turned. It is full of captivating characters, a mystery that will leave you guessing and a potential romance between Bree and Matt that will keep the reader glued to the pages. The story just flows smoothly and kept me glued to the pages, wondering what would happen next. I didn’t know who the bad guy was until almost to the end and was shocked by it. The twists and turns the author throws in the story were perfect and had me hanging on the edge wondering what would happen next.

Meet Philadelphia detective Bree Taggert. She left Grey’s Hollow after her parent’s murder-suicide as a child and hasn’t been back in years. Now with a desperate call from her sister Erin, Bree is back and determined to find her sister’s killer. I love, love, love Bree. She’s strong, relatable, and quite determined. Her vulnerabilities are mentioned several times and as the reader gets to know more about Bree and her family, you can’t help but find yourself sympathizing and rooting for them all. The characters are where the author shines the most in my opinion. Ms. Leigh creates strong characters who can stand on their own but also are able to accept a helping hand as well. They are complex, multidimensional, and relatable. I found all the main players in this first book of Bree’s series wonderful and unique in their own way.

CROSS HER HEART is a perfect introduction to the new series by Melinda Leigh and captured my interest right off the bat. I could not put this book down and can not wait for book two to get here. I see a winner in her new series and look forward to seeing where the author goes with this one. If you enjoyed past series like Morgan Dane or her Widow’s Island series she co-writes with Kendra Elliott, then you will definitely have to check CROSS HER HEART out and settle in, the story will leave you breathless till the very end.

This is an objective review and not an endorsement
The opening of the book was so horribly real that I almost stopped reading since I thought I may be embarking on a horror trail. Onto the flatlands of the book very quickly the slow build-up of characters and some of the inevitability of the two main protaganists is entertaining. The middle of the book is a slow cooker but one stays engaged with the gender diverse players and the way that modern society now regards sexual orientation in a very normal way which is refreshing. The book has in a sense two endings which is the first time I have ever encountered such a device. All in all I enjoyed it right up to the last page. A good airport lounge book.
Cross Her Heart was a really good page turner that fit my reading mood perfectly.  I was in the mood for a book that would keep me reading and unable to set down - and that's exactly what this book did!  I've been struggling to really concentrate lately with everything that's going on in the world so I needed a book like this that helped keep my mind off of everything.  Because let me tell you that this book starts off fast paced and that didn't stop until the very end.  One of the things that surprised me about this book is how dark it was and how much of a role grief played in this novel.  I feel like you don't always get to see the effects of grief in a mystery like we did in this book.  It really gave this book a realistic feel that I couldn't help but appreciate.  I also liked how this book kept me guessing throughout the book.  I didn't have a clue on how everything was going to turn out until I was actually supposed to know.  This book begins a new series but the ending wrapped everything up perfectly.  I couldn't help appreciating the fact that there were just a few new questions that were left that I'm hoping we will get answers to in future books.  I will definitely be continuing on with this series, that's for sure!

Overall, I enjoyed my time with this book and am excited to have found this author!  She's got another series for me to check out while I wait for the next book in this series to release which has me happy.  I love finding new mystery authors to follow especially because that seems to be all I want to read lately.  I need ALL of the mystery recommendations at this point.  I think that readers that enjoy mysteries, suspense, and even those romantic suspense readers would enjoy this one.  There isn't a romance in this book BUT there are hints that one might be forming in future books which I am definitely here for.  Recommended!

Bottom Line: A solid beginning to this new mystery series!  I cannot wait to get my hands on the next book!

Disclosure:  I received a copy of this book courtesy of the publisher and NetGalley.  Honest thoughts are my own.
Thank you NetGalley for my free copy of this book.
I started this book not knowing if I’d read any of her’s before, still unsure. I read the first 20% in a couple of hours and found it very hard to put down. The writing style isn’t one I like, short sharp sentences but they get the story across well. Even allowing for this, I was sucked into the story immediately. The history of the family is told over the course of the book, with the first “grab you by the throat” chapter introducing you to the sisters, Bree & Erin.

It flows well, no jumping back and forth with no reasoning but flowing and incredibly immersing. Kept me guessing until the end, no big plot giveaway.

I will definitely be keeping an eye out for the rest of the series as they’re released, and look back at some of her other stories.
Bree is a cop and has a terrible history in life. She gets a call from her younger sister and packs a bag and travels to her sister's the next morning. However on arriving, discovers that her sister is dead and her brother in law Justin has vanished. Matt, who is Justin's best friend has been retired from his job due to injury, starts to investigate on his own and asks for Bree's help. A good read. It is a good descriptive story with a few gems that will make you laugh but on the whole it is a dark crime book about surviving
Wow, I was wary of a new series as I really enjoyed Mercy and her stories, I kept putting this one off, but I needed a good book, and hoped that this would be the one.
Yep, I can see Bree's story is going to be a good one.
There's humility, family, a love interest and a whole new town to police.
I am really looking forward to reading the next one.
When Detective Bree Taggert receives a call from her younger sister asking for help, she knows she must go back to her hometown and face her fears. Upon arrival she learns her sister has been murdered and she wonders if it is history repeating itself.

Aided by her sister's ex-husband's best friend, a very helpful deputy sheriff and a station secretary that knows everyone and everything she sets out to find her sister's killer.

A very well written story which not only exposes the killer via twists and turns but also sees Bree develop herself and face old fears. Her character growth from the beginning to the end is astounding and she becomes a much nicer and more likable character at the end.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for allowing me the chance to read this book.
Wow this is the first book of Melinda Leigh I have read and I was blown away by it.  It had me hooked right from the start, as an 8 year old Bree up to present day.  Can't wait to read the rest of the Bree Taggert series.  5 * for sure for this one.