Cross Her Heart

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Mar 2020

A good series starter! Slow at times, but I understand needing to introduce each character and creating a foundation for the future books in this series.

I loved Melinda's Morgan Dane series that was wrapped up last year and this one was oddly similar. I had that overwhelming sense of deja vu for a majority of the book.

I couldn't stop imagining Morgan and Lance throughout the entire book, which kind of put me off a bit since this is the start of a new series with completely "different" characters.

I love how Bree and Matt seemed to protect each other and had each other's back from the beginning without a relationship being forced. It felt natural and I'm looking forward to reading the future books in this series.

This was my first Melinda Leigh and while it was a great mystery and an enjoyable story it is incorrectly coded as romantic suspense. I like the red herrings and the honest grief portrayed by the characters and am intrigued where the series is going.
I am a recent Melinda Leigh fan, but a dedicated one.  Cross Her Heart is the first book in her new series and it is just as good as her other series have been.  Introducing a new series while building the characters and their communities can slow down a first book, but not this one.  Bree's story has a life altering event when she is young, you could say a once in a lifetime event.  It sets her up to become a policeman who is determined to solve crimes and help families stay safe.  Then horror touches her family again.  Bree must put aside her grief and follow the clues where they take her to bring justice and healing to the children she must now guard with her life.  An absolutely great start to what I hope is a long series.
Bree is a cop, a cop with a past that haunts her from time to time when it gets out of its hidden place in her head. When Bree’s sister is murdered, the first person always looked at is the husband! Did he do it? It’s Brees job to find out what really happened! I enjoyed reading this author!

I read and reviewed this advanced complimentary copy of this book from NetGalley
In 1993, Erin and her siblings, Adam and Bree, survived a gruesome murder of their mother by their father.
Twenty-seven years later, Bree’s an adult and she’s made tragedy and violence a permanent part of her life by becoming a cop. Bree is the best homicide detective in the world. Yet, Bree couldn’t separate her own past from the present.

Overall:
Cross Her Heart is the first book in a new homicide detective series featuring Bree Taggert. Bree was eight years old when her father shot her mother then killed himself. She was separated from her brother and sister to live with different family members.
It’s ironic how individuals become police officers or detectives after experiencing a traumatic upbringing. This tragedy seems to define them carving a path of justice for others. In this case, justice is served when Bree has to investigate her own sisters homicide.
I appreciated having Bree investigating her sisters murder. It adds that personal touch that is necessary in finding closure.

I liked the use of the K-9. I haven’t encountered this in any of my recent reads. It was a nice investigative tool.

It’s a story I can’t stay connected with. It’s slow building. Some of the characters and the theories associated with their lifestyle choices are okay. I’m just feeling very unattached to the characters and the storyline. The premise was so promising with that very chilling opening scene. I had hoped for a faster paced investigation with some dangerous activity.

This romantic suspense had very little romance which was fine considering I wasn’t feeling any lust or passion between Matt and Bree. I find it isn’t always necessary to force a romantic relationship between two characters. Sometimes it’s better to focus on finding the killer without the distraction of romance.

There were many suspects, but mostly theories. No Easter eggs to solve on your own you pretty much had to consider the theories laid out before you. I don’t really enjoy stories where all the speculation is discussed openly it takes away from the mystery.

There were four minor mini plots working in concession to the main plot. Erin’s kids. Erin’s ex. Erin’s friend. The dog. Fifty percent of the plot was spent on the investigation while the other fifty percent was spent on the mini plots. Sadly, it was a mediocre story. Nothing too exciting and not very epic or memorable.
Cross Her Heart is amazing! If you loved Melinda Leigh's Morgan Dane Series, you will love this one too. Bree is the main lead female character and she is badass. I really thought I had the suspect pegged by mid book, but I was so wrong. As a new person was investigated I couldn't help but put them at the top of my list. I love how Melinda Leigh keeps you guessing from the very beginning. I found this to be a pretty intense, edge of your seat, can't put down book. I really hope this series continues to grow because it's so good.
Just finished this book. This one will keep you guessing who killed Erin until the very end. I can't say who I thought it was so I don't give out any details:) Another great read from Melinda Leigh!
Melinda Leigh has a formula that i really love: a gutsy heroine, great mystery, and a lovely supporting cast that consists of a close-knit family. I love returning to her previous series - it is like visiting good friends (who can kick ass, lol). This looks like a promising start to a series that I know I will be visiting again and again. I’ve already re-read this book since getting my ARC!
Another great series beginning by Melinda Leigh!  No spoilers in this review.
Following the formula that was successful in the Scarlet Falls series, a law enforcement officer has a family tragedy that forces her to return to her hometown.  As a detective, of course she has to investigate the incident, and enlists a former LEO to assist her.  Together they unwind the clues and discover the bad guy, growing closer in the process.  The action is fast-paced and the book is a quick read.
I'm looking forward to the next book in the series, highly recommend.
Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for the ARC of this book.  My opinions are my own.
What a great start to a promisingly addictive series!  Ms. Leigh has crafted the main character of Bree Taggert so deftly that the reader will immediately connect and become involved in both her struggles and her strengths.  She is heart-breakingly sympathetic and admirably resilient. The possible love interest of Matt Flynn is also a masterful move.  His character compliments the tortured and closed Bree in all the perfect ways - paving the way for fabulous future possibilities, both personally and professionally.

The murder mystery aspect is also neatly done, as the reader follows each step, question, possibility and frustration the characters experience. The final conflict was the only small drawback. It was hard to really buy into the villain and the extreme response he or she had (can't give anything away!)  Without delving into that character more, it impossible to truly understand and believe the actions.  Still, it keeps readers on their toes and turning those pages! And, once that last page is turned, looking anxiously forward to more of Bree, Matt and their world!
After reading this first book in her new series, I am excited to see what Melinda Leigh will come up with next. The introduction to new characters was enjoyable and leaves me wanting more. The story moved along at a quick pace and held my attention throughout. The story had a great climax and satisfying conclusion. I highly recommend this book.
Thank you netgalley for the early copy. All opinions and thoughts are my own.
This was a solid first book in a series. I really liked all of the characters, especially Bree. The mystery (and some of the overall plot) was a little predictable, but I enjoyed it enough to pick up the second one when it's published.
Bree Taggert is no longer the young girl that had to save her younger siblings from been mirdered. She is a homicide detective trying to put evil away. Things haven't always gone well for the family but they have all tried their best so when she gets a message from her sister Bree she knows something is wrong. She has to back to Grey's hollow to find out what is going on. But she gets there too late Erin has been killed and her estranged husband Justin is accused of killing her. Not everyone believes that Justin could have done it and he is missing and the police are looking for answers. Bree knows that she needs to find out the truth especially for the children. Bree doesn't know what to do as her brother Adam can't even look after himself. Can she give up everything to move back? Matt knows that his friend would never had killed Erin, he loved her and was trying his best to get clean so who did then? Where is Justin now?  Can Matt & Bree find the answers that they are looking for? A really interesting read. I was lucky enough to receive a copy from netgalley and the publishing house in exchange for my honest review.
This is the start of a new series by Melinda Leigh, which is set in Grey’s Hallow, the neighbouring town to Scarlet Falls, which featured in her Morgan Dane series.
‘Cross Her Heart’ is about Philadelphia homicide detective Bree Taggert, who receives devastating news that her sister has been murdered. Going back home isn’t easy for Bree, as it’s the same place her childhood changed forever, when her when her parents died in a murder-suicide. And when Bree learns that her sister may have died at the hands of her husband Justin, she is determined to figure out exactly what happened and who really is to blame before she becomes a target herself. Helping her with her investigation is Matt Flynn, a former police officer and Justin’s best friend.
This was a really good suspense/mystery read, which kept me guessing as to the killer until the end. My only complaint is with the identity of the killer. While probable, I found it a bit unbelievable. Mainly because I didn’t think there had been enough explanation throughout the story to justify who it happened to be.
Overall I enjoyed this book and will definitely read the future books in the series.
Very excited about this new series by Melinda Leigh! Bree Taggert is a real character and a great detective! This story had a good mystery and was full of strong emotional relationships.  I enjoyed every minute and found it easy to devour in one sitting  I can't wait to revisit this very enjoyable cast of characters. Thank you netgalley for this arc in exchange for my honest opinion.
This is a quick-read suspense novel with lots of twists and turns. It's told in multiple POVs and it's difficult to figure out what the real truth is until the very end. I enjoyed the book despite the fact that I didn't really like several of the main characters.

Lisa lives with her daughter Ava. Ava is a typical teenager - loving to her mom sometimes and critical of her every move at other times. We find out right from the beginning that Lisa is hiding a secret not just from her daughter but also from her best friend Marilyn. Marilyn is a great best friend for Lisa - she is supportive and helpful but Marilyn also has a secret that she is keeping from Lisa. To round out the trio, Ava has a secret that she is keeping from her mom -- an older man who is texting her and who (in her teenage mind) she is falling in love with. Despite all of the secrets, these three women appear to be living a normal life with normal problems until Ava saves a little boy from downing and her picture along with her mom appears on the front page of the newspaper. Once people are aware of who Lisa really is, all hell breaks loose and the thrilling part of the story goes into high gear.

This is a fun book to read - not too deep with characters who are not totally believable in their transformations but still interesting to read about. The last 25% of the book is where all of the action is so it was worth it to continue reading.

Thanks to the publisher for a copy of this book to read and review. All opinions are my own.
Awesome from beginning to end.  I enjoyed the characters and the twists throughout.   The small side story added in for even more mystery and intrigue.  I hope to see more books with these characters in the future.
Amazing author and amazing book.
Suspense. I just could not put it down.
I love this author.
Thank you for approving me to read this book.
Bree Taggert knows how volatile families can be; she was only eight when her abusive father killed first her mom and then himself. Separated from her brother and sister by well meaning relatives she has lived a solitary life ever since, compartmentalising her feelings, her job as a homicide detective, and her family. When her younger sister, Erin, calls in a panic however, she knows she has to help and races back to her old home town.

Arriving too late to save Erin, Bree finds herself responsible for two devastated children as she tries to come to terms with her loss. With Erin's ex-husband, Justin, missing and considered the main suspect Bree joins forces with her former brother-in-law's best friend, Matt, to try and find out what happened and why.

Bree Taggert is Melinda Leigh's newest heroine and has the potential to be as successful as her previous incarnations. She is sympathetically written as is her new unofficial partner and although a romantic spark was present it didn't influence the storyline and gives just a hint of what might be to come in future outings. The writing, as always was tight and believable, the secondary characters as well written as the main protagonists and for the first in a series this totally delivers.

I was able to read an advanced copy of this book thanks to NetGalley and the publishers in exchange for an unbiased review and would recommend it to Melinda Leigh's many fans and anyone who wants to find out what is so special about her work. I loved it.
Bree and her siblings have survived the murder suicide of their parents, but not without scars.  Bree was separated from her 2 siblings after the tragedy.  As a result of the tragedy Bree has gone into law enforcement.  One night she receives a phone call from her sister Erin saying she is in trouble.  Bree immediately heads home to her sister only to arrive and find out she has been  murdered.  Former law enforcement Matt volunteers to work with Bree to find out what happened to Erin.

I love all of Melindas past books and this one is a great start to a new series.  I loved Bree and the children.   I had a hard time putting this book down and look forward to the next book in the series.  Thank you to net galley for an advanced readers copy.