Cover Image: Cross Her Heart

Cross Her Heart

Cross Her Heart was a really good page turner that fit my reading mood perfectly.  I was in the mood for a book that would keep me reading and unable to set down - and that's exactly what this book did!  I've been struggling to really concentrate lately with everything that's going on in the world so I needed a book like this that helped keep my mind off of everything.  Because let me tell you that this book starts off fast paced and that didn't stop until the very end.  One of the things that surprised me about this book is how dark it was and how much of a role grief played in this novel.  I feel like you don't always get to see the effects of grief in a mystery like we did in this book.  It really gave this book a realistic feel that I couldn't help but appreciate.  I also liked how this book kept me guessing throughout the book.  I didn't have a clue on how everything was going to turn out until I was actually supposed to know.  This book begins a new series but the ending wrapped everything up perfectly.  I couldn't help appreciating the fact that there were just a few new questions that were left that I'm hoping we will get answers to in future books.  I will definitely be continuing on with this series, that's for sure!

Overall, I enjoyed my time with this book and am excited to have found this author!  She's got another series for me to check out while I wait for the next book in this series to release which has me happy.  I love finding new mystery authors to follow especially because that seems to be all I want to read lately.  I need ALL of the mystery recommendations at this point.  I think that readers that enjoy mysteries, suspense, and even those romantic suspense readers would enjoy this one.  There isn't a romance in this book BUT there are hints that one might be forming in future books which I am definitely here for.  Recommended!

Bottom Line: A solid beginning to this new mystery series!  I cannot wait to get my hands on the next book!

Disclosure:  I received a copy of this book courtesy of the publisher and NetGalley.  Honest thoughts are my own.
Thank you NetGalley for my free copy of this book.
I started this book not knowing if I’d read any of her’s before, still unsure. I read the first 20% in a couple of hours and found it very hard to put down. The writing style isn’t one I like, short sharp sentences but they get the story across well. Even allowing for this, I was sucked into the story immediately. The history of the family is told over the course of the book, with the first “grab you by the throat” chapter introducing you to the sisters, Bree & Erin.

It flows well, no jumping back and forth with no reasoning but flowing and incredibly immersing. Kept me guessing until the end, no big plot giveaway.

I will definitely be keeping an eye out for the rest of the series as they’re released, and look back at some of her other stories.
Bree is a cop and has a terrible history in life. She gets a call from her younger sister and packs a bag and travels to her sister's the next morning. However on arriving, discovers that her sister is dead and her brother in law Justin has vanished. Matt, who is Justin's best friend has been retired from his job due to injury, starts to investigate on his own and asks for Bree's help. A good read. It is a good descriptive story with a few gems that will make you laugh but on the whole it is a dark crime book about surviving
Wow, I was wary of a new series as I really enjoyed Mercy and her stories, I kept putting this one off, but I needed a good book, and hoped that this would be the one.
Yep, I can see Bree's story is going to be a good one.
There's humility, family, a love interest and a whole new town to police.
I am really looking forward to reading the next one.
When Detective Bree Taggert receives a call from her younger sister asking for help, she knows she must go back to her hometown and face her fears. Upon arrival she learns her sister has been murdered and she wonders if it is history repeating itself.

Aided by her sister's ex-husband's best friend, a very helpful deputy sheriff and a station secretary that knows everyone and everything she sets out to find her sister's killer.

A very well written story which not only exposes the killer via twists and turns but also sees Bree develop herself and face old fears. Her character growth from the beginning to the end is astounding and she becomes a much nicer and more likable character at the end.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for allowing me the chance to read this book.
Wow this is the first book of Melinda Leigh I have read and I was blown away by it.  It had me hooked right from the start, as an 8 year old Bree up to present day.  Can't wait to read the rest of the Bree Taggert series.  5 * for sure for this one.
This book was a little bit out of my wheelhouse as a almost strictly romance reader but it was so good! I loved the suspenseful storyline and all the characters in this. The beginning pulls you right into Bree Taggart's family history and sets you up for the story to come. Cut to Bree as an adult, she is now a homicide detective in Philadelphia. She is called back to her hometown when her sister, Erin, is murdered.

Bree meets Matt, a friend of Erin's husband (Justin), team up to find out what happened to Erin and where Justin went now that he has vanished. There is a lot that happens in this book to keep you guessing who the murderer might be. I liked the development of the characters. Erin had two children that Bree takes custody of. Bree has a lot of demons to tackle and she really hasn't looked out for anyone but herself until her sister dies. This book sets up a continuing series of Bree Taggart's adventures, becoming guardian to the kids, and a possible romance with Matt. Cant wait for more!
Reviews by the Wicked Reads Review Team

Avid Reader – ☆☆☆☆
M/F Thriller

Bree is a tough woman. She knows what lurks in the night and still chooses to go out and fight for those who are unable to fight for themselves. But because of her past, she is also slightly distant when it comes to her family. She is the protector but can't always connect like she wants. After a mysterious call from her younger sister, Bree takes some time off to figure out how she can help.

Matt knows what disappointment is. Having been disabled by friendly fire, he has tried to get his life back on track and moving forward. When his good friend goes missing and, it looks like, falls off the wagon, he'll have to work fast to try and help figure out what is really going on.

Bree and Matt are an interesting team. They both bring different dynamics to the situation. They work well together and feed off each other's experiences and knowledge. Bree will work tirelessly to figure out who killed her sister and how to protect her nephew and niece.

This is a good mystery with a lot going on. There is also a lot of baggage that comes with the two main characters. I hope that we get to see more of these two working together, as they worked in a very dynamic and fun way.

Potential Triggers: Addiction, Blackmail, Abuse, Murder

Mary Jo – ☆☆☆☆
It's been a while since a book grabbed my attention, and held it to the last page. I only put this book down when my poor neglected dogs and cats would not stop clamoring for my attention because it was past their supper time.

Bree Taggert is a strong woman, having survived a very difficult childhood. When tragedy strikes again, not only does it bring back the terrible memories of the past, but she knows exactly what her sister's children are going through.

Matt Flynn's law enforcement career was derailed by not so friendly fire, yet there was nothing he could prove. The truth is hard for him to face, but eventually he comes to accept the fact that he can no longer do the job he was trained for.

Matt and Bree meet again in the most terrible of circumstances. Each trying to figure out a way to find Justin, Bree's brother-in-law, and what exactly happened the night Erin, her sister, was killed.

Melinda Leigh has a way of crafting characters who immediately draw you in and you can't help but root for.

Potential Triggers: child abuse/domestic violence

Veronica – ☆☆☆☆
Cross Her Heart is the first book in a new series following Detective Bree Taggert. The prologue for this story is pretty confronting. We are with 8-year-old Bree as she calls 911 while her parents fight, which ends in tragedy. Fast forward 25 years and Bree is again facing tragedy when her little sister is murdered.

Bree travels to her hometown to track down her sister's killer, arrange a funeral, and determinate who will raise her niece and nephew. She teams up with former local cop Matt to track down her sister's missing husband and get justice. There are various suspects and dangerous situations that had me holding my breath. I didn't guess who did it, which I liked. When the killer is revealed, we get a scary, action-packed showdown which is all too real in this day and age.

This story is really well crafted. It has a good mix of crime solving and personal drama and gives us possibilities for the future that left me wanting to read the next book to see where Bree's life will go next. I can see things between Matt and Bree are going to build slowly and I can't wait to see their relationship grow.
A really good read. I loved the lead characters who felt real, some feisty females, compassionate men and of course some horrid baddies.  Bang up to the minute plot and well written.
Wow, what a great start to a series.  Even though this is a new series you feel like you have known these characters forever.  This book takes off from the beginning and doesn’t stop until the last page.  I was sucked into a world of suspense and mystery.  I loved it.  I look forward to the next one.
I love Melinda Leigh’s books and have read every one of these interwoven character’s stories. Cross her heart lived up to expectations with the added sadness of the victim being a family member. Murder, family, quest for the truth and justice. Can’t beat it!
Really enjoyed meeting homicide detective Bree Taggert in this powerful opening series. Her childhood was destroyed when her father killed he mother and then turned the gun on himself. Bree returns to her childhood town Greys Hollow after receiving a call for help from her younger sister who is separated and lives with her two children. What Bree finds makes her wonder if history is repeating itself. She teams up with former sheriff’s investigator and K-9 handler Matt Flynn to investigate a murder and disappearance of the suspect. This is a pacy, formidable thriller with a cast of well-developed, believable characters . Bree and Matt are excellent characters and the scene is set for the follow up - can't wait to read it and read more from Melinda Leigh.
The first chapter was a cracker and the rest of the book was just as good.. There was sadness and loss, great detective work and a really emotive storyline. There were some really great characters that hey felt like friends and a fantastic conclusion. Burned the midnight oil to finish reading and loved it from beginning to end.
I was so happy to be asked to be part of the blog tour for Melinda Leigh’s latest thriller: Cross Her Heart which was published 3/31/20 by Montlake Publishing. This was a thrilling and suspenseful read and I could not put it down! I really liked the main character of Bree, and it looks like this is the first in a series that centers on her – yeah! I always like a mystery that gives a deep look at the main character (e.g. their past, their family, how they keep house, their pets, etc.) so this was a good choice for me.

I highly recommend this book if you like a well-written mystery!

Thank you for making me part of the tour and for my kindle copy!

full review at Beth's Book-Nook Blog
Gripping opening and I was hooked. Story proceeded too develop in a formulaic way, however almost unaware, I soon became invested in the protagonists. The plot was not particularly unique but the characterisations were well rounded and believable. The setting was interesting and well conceived. The book laid down a really strong foundation in back story, central characters, relationships and future  storylines. Hopefully the first in a series and one that I would buy, recommend and follow. Thoroughly enjoyable.
Cross Her Heart is the first book I've read by Melinda Leigh and it is a winner.

I love a police drama but tend to avoid American ones as very often American English can come across as a foreign language and you can easily get lost, but this is not the case here. This is the best book of this genre that I have read in a long time.

The characters are three dimensional and the plot is totally believable and it came to a conclusion at just the right point, leaving me hungry for more. I felt anger, frustration and a lot of sadness along the way, just the way you should when a great writer draws you in.

I will definitely be on the look out for other titles by this and hope to meet up with Bree and her family and friends at some point too.
An absolutely brilliant read! This is one of those books you don't want to put down. The story is very well written and the characters very believable.

When Bree was 8 her father killed her mother while she was hiding away with her younger sister and baby brother to try and protect them. It is now years later and her sister is killed maybe also by her husband. Is history repeating itself or are there other forces behind this brutal killing? What happened to Erin's estranged husband Justin?

Bree is now a homicide detective and she vows to find out the truth. Together with Justin's friend and ex-police officer Matt, they start unravelling the truth.

A brilliant start to a new series. I can't wait for the next book!

Thank you to Netgalley and Montlake Romance for the ARC in exchange for my honest opinion
What a wonderful Book 1 in Melinda Leigh's new Bree Taggert series.  Melinda has written numberous books and multiple series.  This is a winner.  Set in Philadelphia, Bree Taggert is a detective with the Police Department.  She has repressed her family's violent family history as a child but when her sister is murdered it brings the memories to the forefront.  The story is swift and concise with a perfect ending for book 1 of a new series.  Bree teams up with Matt to help solve her sister's murder and her current police partner Dana who is retiring lends a hand.  Bree's younger brother Adam also shows up to help.  Read this one and get on the wait list for book 2, See her die.  I received a copy of this ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review.
You will fall in love with Bree Taggert.  She is a Philadelphia homicide detective. who came from a horribly troubled childhood.   This is a great thriller that will take you on a roller coaster ride of emotions.  She is not terribly close to her younger sister as a result of those childhood traumas, but steps up when her sister is in danger.  You will root for Bree's safety and success in solving the mystery and defending her family.
Brilliantly written. Kept me guessing right to the end. This author is new to me and I hope to read more.