Cover Image: Cross Her Heart

Cross Her Heart

I'm already a big fan of Melinda Leigh, and to say I jumped at the opportunity to review this book on Netgalley, was an understatement.

I've now read it twice, cover to cover, along with the odd page over and over (It's easy to get distracted with the kids at home full-time).

Leigh writes strong women. Thankfully, not the men hating kind, but women we respect and wish were our best friends and will root for till the end.  And Bree Taggert is no exception, I'm totally enthralled with her already and her old partner, Dana.
There is a familiarity with this story, that instantly draws you in. This by no means takes away from the novel, but allows you to relax and enjoy the story as it unfolds.
There is not too much relaxing to do though, as the unravels and keep you on the edge of you seat, heart in mouth as you wait for Bree and Matt to make their discoveries and solve the case.
Bree's promise to her family makes you sniffle, it's such a childish act, that everyone has at some point done and can relate to solemnly.

This is a heart and soul book, don't read if you are hoping to sleep soon. As Bree accepts her knew role, I am one who looks forward to how she will handle that choice going and how she will be tested.

If you enjoy a good crime novel but want something a bit extra, then this is not just the book but the author for you.

5/5
I read Melinda Leigh's 'Cross Her Heart' which is the first story in the Bree Taggart series of books. I was immediately gripped from the start. I love a good strong female lead and this had one for sure with Bree.  It's a very fast paced story but easy to follow too. At times it could really be imagined as to being on tv like many popular police and crime drama.

Bree already has a family history of tragedy and now she is investigating another murder of her sister. There was a lot in this first book but just the right amount of content and it didn't feel overwhelmed. I have seen that the 2nd book is out later this year too so we won't have to wait long to find out what's in store next for Bree!
A great thriller that kept me interested. Really liked the main character Bree Taggart and will be looking out for future Bree books by Melinda Leigh.
This book is a great start to the new series following Bree Taggart, a homicide detective with a very traumatic family background.

As well as enjoying the actual crime storyline, I enjoyed all the back stories which are used to develop the reader’s understanding of each of the main characters’ personalities.  There is definitely more to find out about each of them and their background.

I found this book an easy read which I finished over a few days and I am looking forward to the next book in the series.
This book grabbed me from the very beginning. It’s a fast paced, edge of your seat police mystery/ thriller full of suspense and intrigue. It held my attention throughout and kept me wanting more. A definite read for fans of thrillers and/ or crime novels.
I absolutely loved this book. A well written murder mystery. This is the first book I have read by this author but it definitely will not be the last
Melinda Leigh does it again! Another superb book! This is a start to a new series and I can't wait to read the next books.
Omg! I loved this book and couldn’t put it down. Such a great thriller to occupy my time.
This is gonna be an excellent series. The main character Bree has to find out who murdered her sister. She already has had so much trauma in her life and now her world has been uprooted again.
Can’t wait for the next book in this series to be released.
Thanks NetGalley for the arc in exchange for my honest review.
Thank you to Netgalley, the publishing house and the author for the opportunity to read a complimentary copy of this book in return for review based upon my honest opinion.

This is a great read. I really liked the main characters; Bree Taggart was a character that I would like to read more books about especially her interaction with Matt and the rest of the characters. Lots of action, little bit of a thriller, and kept me guessing right up to the end.

Bree gets a voicemail from her sister saying that she’s in trouble and she knows it instantly something iswrong because her sister wouldn’t call her if she didn’t need her. She leaves to go to her hometown that holds nothing but trauma for her. When she gets there she finds she’s too late and her sister is dead, and her ex husband is missing, is he the killer or is he also a victim? Together with Matt, a deputy who was injured and is no longer on the force, and best friend of Justin, her sister Erin‘s ex-husband they try to sort out this case and find the killer. But will they find the killer before the killer finds them?

I always enjoy this authors books and look forward to the next one.
Thoroughly enjoyed this book! A good old fashioned crime novel with a heart felt story running through, and leaving you wanting to know what happens next... Roll on Book 2!
Bree had a very disturbed childhood after her father murdered her mother and she was separated from her 2 siblings . Many years later she has moved away from her hometown and has joined the police becoming a murder detective . She receives a phone call telling her that her sister has been murdered so she heads back home to look after her sisters children . It appears that the killer  is her ex Justin as the body was found at his house and he is missing along with his car . Bree is unhappy with this conclusion made by the local police and teams up with an ex policeman Matt to find out what really happened ..Will Bree remain in her hometown with her nephew and niece or will she return back to her original job ? This is a thought provoking good story with many twists before the truth is uncovered .
Ooh I love a good police procedural and this is one!

I love the main character, she’s likeable and good at her job and I enjoyed reading her perspective.

Having a third party point of view helped to keep the book moving and it was a really good read.
Wow, Melinda Leigh really knows how to write an exciting read! This was a great start to an exciting series! I am a new fan of Melinda Leighs and will be reading more of her work. I can not wait to read more of her work! Huge thank you to NetGalley and Montlake for this opportunity!
I really enjoyed “Cross Her Heart” a suspenseful murder mystery that will keep you turning the pages late into the night! Thank you #netgalley for the gifted copy of this heart pumping mystery in exchange for an honest review.

Bree Taggert is no stranger to violence and tragedy. When she was eight years old, both of her parents were killed in a domestic murder/suicide. Determined to keep history from repeating itself, Bree becomes a murder detective. When she learns of her sister Erin’s brutal murder she heads for her hometown to take care of her niece and nephew and joins teams with her sisters husband Justin’s best friend to solve the murder and absolve Justin of the murder.  Who killed Erin Taggert and where is her sisters husband, Justin? This page turner will keep you guessing until the very end!
For more than twenty-five years, Philadelphia homicide detective Bree Taggert has tucked away the nightmarish childhood memories of her parents’ murder-suicide…Until her younger sister, Erin, is killed in a crime that echoes that tragic night: innocent witnesses and a stormy marriage that ended in gunfire. There’s just one chilling difference. Erin’s husband, Justin, has vanished.
Bree knows how explosive the line between love and hate can be, yet the evidence against her troubled brother-in-law isn’t adding up. Teaming up with Justin’s old friend, former sheriff’s investigator and K-9 handler Matt Flynn, Bree vows to uncover the secrets of her sister’s life and death, as she promised Erin’s children. But as her investigation unfolds, the danger hits close to home. Once again, Bree’s family is caught in a death grip. And this time, it could be fatal for her.

This is a brilliant read.
Wonderful well written plot and story line that had me engaged from the start.
Love the well fleshed out characters and found them believeable.
Great suspense and action with wonderful world building that adds so much to the story.
Can't wait to read more of these.
Recommend reading.

I was provided an ARC from NetGalley and the publisher.  This is my own honest voluntary review.
Bree was only 8 years old when her father killed her mother and then himself. She had sworn to always protect her younger siblings, a sister and a brother.
Years later, Bree is a homicide detective. When her law-abiding sister Erin calls her, sounding scared and asking for help, Bree knows something must be really wrong. But when she arrives at her sister's place, it turns out that she is too late. Her sister has been murdered. And Justin, her estranged husband, the only suspect, is missing.

The story follows Bree's 3rd person account of the events and is interspersed with the killer's perspective as well as the one of Matt, a friend of Justin's and a former sheriff's investigator and K-9 handler. As Bree teams up with Matt, she vows to find Erin's killer, and they both set off on their own investigation.
It was a well-paced, steadily progressing story that hooked me pretty quickly,  but I found it lacked tension.
The killer's identity was a surprise, however, the motive for the murder seemed too far-fetched.
Nevertheless, it was a good enjoyable read, and I'm looking forward to the next book in the series.
CROSS HER HEART (Bree Taggert Book #1) by Melinda Leigh is the first book in a new romantic suspense/thriller series that has everything I look for in this genre. A strong, intelligent female protagonist, an engaging cast of secondary characters and a thrilling, intense plot that keeps you on the edge of your seat which all come together in this exceptional debut.

Philadelphia homicide detective Bree Taggart receives a call for help from her younger sister, Erin. She drops everything and returns to her hometown. When she arrives, it is to a nightmare which is eerily reminiscent of her traumatizing childhood. Erin is dead and the main suspect is her estranged husband, Justin who is missing. Bree vows to get justice for Erin and her children.

Bree is not alone in her search for Justin. His best friend, former sheriff’s investigator and K-9 handler Matt Flynn knows Justin has problems, but he loved Bree and he does not believe he is capable of murder. Bree and Matt work together to uncover Erin’s secrets and to find Justin.

Bree and Matt do not realize how closely the killer is watching. Once again, Bree’s family is in danger and she may be the next Taggart in the line of fire.

This book is Melinda Leigh at her best! Bree and Matt are realistic, multifaceted characters that work very well together and complement each other. Bree and all the characters in this story come to life immediately. I found Bree’s compassionate handling of Erin’s children to be a great example of her internal character. The plot has a myriad of twists and turns that had me continually surprised and turning the pages.

I highly recommend this first book in the Bree Taggert series and I am anxiously waiting for the next in the series!
I’ve never read a book by this author before, but I’m going to look out for her now. I loved this book, it gripped me from the start, and kept up the pace well throughout.
Bree Taggart is a homicide detective with a tragic and traumatic background. She receives a frantic call from her younger sister, Erin, which makes her drop everything and dash back to the town where she was born and where both her siblings still live. On arrival, she finds the police already on scene, her sister dead and her brother in law missing, suspected of murdering her.
Loved it. Will definitely read whatever she writes next.
Thanks to netgalley and the publishers for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
I really enjoyed reading this book. The first chapter gives us a glimpse into Bree's past and a traumatic event which shapes the main character and her siblings. The characters are well fleshed out and realistic, I found myself rooting for Bree and as more potential suspects are revealed the killer's identity isn't completely obvious. Although the story centres around solving a murder there are no detailed gory descriptions, domestic abuse and obsession are the main themes and drug addiction is touched upon. There is barely any romance, no more than a hint of attraction which leaves room for the main characters' relationship to develop in future books. This is a great series starter and I look forward to reading more from this author.
If you've read a book, and lived on this planet, I'm pretty sure you've heard of bestselling author Melinda Leigh - who has, to date, sold over 8.5 million books!

Cross Her Heart is book 1 of 4 in the new Bree Taggert series and if you're looking for something that has you on the edge of your seat - look no further.

It's been 25 years since Philly homicide detective Bree Taggert's father murdered his mother and then killed himself. So when her sister Erin is murdered, in a situation very similar, it dredges up memories of that fateful night she's worked so hard to forget. Although there is one difference. The prime suspect, Erin's estranged husband Justin, is missing.

She teams up with Justin's old friend, a former K9 cop, and vows to avenge her sister's death. As they struggle to find evidence and protect Erin's children left behind, she is determined to get her family through this violent crime, once again, despite the looming danger that may prove to be too much for her to handle.

This was definitely one of those books that had me suspecting everyone and everything early on and I really enjoyed the mystery. It started with such a great foundation, and dramatic scene, that it set the tone throughout the book which was has you guessing the connection and was a fresh and unique plot point. I loved watching each clue unfold and enjoyed the supporting characters like Bree's partner Dana and brother Adam, as well as Erin's kids.

Although it's marketed as a romantic suspense, it felt very light on romance and heavy on suspense. Which I personally favor and was just fine with!

Bree was a real and relatable character (aside from all that murder business!) and I'm really looking forward to what the future holds for her in the rest of the series!