Cross Her Heart

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Mar 2020

Bree Taggert, a Philadelphia cop, dreads ever having to return to her hometown of Grey's Hollow, NY.  That is until a urgent phone call from her sister asking for her help drags her back.  When she arrives, she finds her sister dead and reminders of her own horrific childhood.  When too many questions remain unanswered about her sister's death, Bree teams up with a friend of the accused killer to reveal the truth.
This was a great start to a new series.  I cannot wait to read the next book in this series.

Thank you to Netgalley and Montlake Publishing for providing a copy of this book for review.
This review was originally posted on  Books of My Heart

Review copy was received from Publisher. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

4.5 hearts

I have really loved reading Melinda Leigh's other series,  so I was excited to try the new Bree Taggert series. I buddy read Cross Her Heart with Sophia since we are both huge fans of this author. We both felt right away it was going to be great.

I easily settled into reading right from the start. The world and the characters were all engaging, along with the mystery.  Bree is talented and thankfully local law enforcement accepted she would be there.  It was interesting for her to work with Matt who was Justin's friend and his K9.  There's a hint of romance but I appreciate it wasn't the focus; they just got to know each other here.

Bree leaves her current life and heads back to her old home town for the first time in many years. She comes to town for her sister, to solve her murder and take care of her children.  Luckily, she has the support of her detective partner, Dana,  who can cook for me anytime.  She also has help from Matt, who wants to find Justin.

I loved watching Bree handle everything with such intelligence and compassion. She is really amazing with her daughter's children, with their best interests in mind. There are too many bad guys available, so it takes time to figure out what happened.  Bree faces these big changes in her life, along with the ghost of her parent's deaths, with such character and personal growth.

I enjoyed Cross Her Heart so much!  I highly recommend it. I'm thrilled there will be a new installment, See Her Die this fall.  I know I'll be reading!
Erin is murdered and all evidence points to her estranged husband Justin and he is missing. His friend Matt (an ex Investigator) believes him to be innocent and to find out the truth teams up with Bree, Erin’s sister and Cop.
A fantastically written book that keeps you gripped, great characters and twists in the plot. I could not stop reading.
Who did this and why? Ex husband, estranged husband or total stranger, read to find out.
Cross Her Heart is a great start to a police procedural thriller series. It is very promising.
I enjoyed the writing style and plot. The characters, especially Bree was well-developed. However, it does get a bit slow at times and draggy somewhere in the middle.
I got through it quite fast though. What's more, I was quite disappointed with the ending. It was anticlimactic. In my opinion, there was not enough suspense or build-up leading to the reveal.

All in all, I see a lot of potential in the Bree Taggert series therefore, I will be following the book instalments.
Kudos to Melinda Leigh. Thank you to Netgalley and Montlake Romance for the eArc in exchange for an honest review.
A gripping tale of love, obsession, greed, revenge, and family.
Exceptionally well written. The story flowed nicely and kept my up late turning the page
Well, "Cross Her Heart" gets the new series off to a rocking good start. As I read it, I resented the need to sleep and to go to work. I didn't want to put it down.Now, there were a few things that were predictable, but others weren't. For instance, I did not figure out who the killer was until they were revealed.

One quick note. The book is published by Montlake, Amazon's romance division, but it's about 95% mystery and only 5% romance. The romance is mild, extremely slow burn, and strictly secondary to the main murder plot. It may be more central to future books in the series; that remains to be seen.

"Cross Her Heart" is a mix of mystery, suspense, and family drama. When Bree gets a call for help from her sister Erin, she returns to the town where she was miserable as a young child and where her parents were killed. Bree's too late to help her sister but not too late to help her niece and nephew. While she deals with them, and with her brother Adam, she also inserts herself into the investigation of her sister's murder. She teams up with Matt, a former police officer and best man at her sister's wedding. Together they look for Erin's killer, though their motives are different.

With compassion and insight, Leigh writes characters who are achingly real. The story was gripping though it did contain a few implausibilities. Bree, Matt, Adam, Luke, and Kayla have flaws and weaknesses. Dana was less fleshed out but perhaps in the future books. The villains of the different mysteries were also not as well fleshed out as I'd like but they too felt real, as did their motivations. There is some domestic violence in the book and it's a fairly key element so if reading it bothers you, you may prefer to skip this. I was fascinated with the investigation, the family dynamics, and the little details. I was drawn in and when the book ended, I was disappointed that I couldn't immediately start book two.
Cross Her Heart was a solid beginning to a new series featuring Bree Taggert and Matt Flynn.  The book begins with a bang and immediately drew me into the story.  Bree Taggert survived a horrific childhood and is now a police detective.  When her sister is murdered, it brings back memories of her childhood and Bree vows to find Erin’s murderer while caring for Erin’s kids. Matt Flynn is Erin’s estranged husband’s best friend and a former police officer.  He finds Erin’s body and makes it his mission to help Bree find out what happened.

This was a fast-paced book with a whodunit that will keep you guessing.  There were multiple suspects and I was surprised by the ending.  I usually guess the culprit fairly quickly and I hadn’t considered this character until very late in the book.

Bree was a fantastic female lead.  Despite her upbringing, she was strong, smart, independent, and caring.  Matt was equally great.  He was no longer able to work as a policeman, but he made the best of his circumstances and displayed a strength of character that was a perfect complement to Bree.  There was an underlying attraction, but it was only hinted at near the end of the story.

This promises to be another great series by Melinda Leigh.  As always, she delivers romantic suspense at its best and keeps readers engaged.

I received this book free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Great detective book that had me hooked very early on in the story. I really enjoyed it and I was so happy to find out that this is going to be a series of books! I will definitely read them all! Thank you netgalley for the chance to read this fab title!!
Bree Taggert had a rough childhood.  It all came to a head one day, and she had to grow up quickly.  At only 8 year old, she saved her two younger siblings from her abusive father.  The town sheriff became her hero that day, and he made quite the impression.  It was then she knew what she wanted to do with her life.  But the memories were too much in Grey's Hollow, so she decided to do it elsewhere.  She rarely came back to Grey's, even to visit her siblings.  But that all changed the day she received a scary voicemail from her younger sister.  She knew she had to go back to help her.
I am a big fan of Melinda Leigh, and this new series will be no exception.  I love that she writes strong, intelligent female leads.  Bree proves to be just that in this first book; she really has her priorities on straight.  i cant wait to see where this series takes Bree.
Melinda Leigh is one of my FAVORITE authors and this book is just another reason why!!!!

There is something for everyone! Domestic abuse, murder, addiction to drugs and certain men, an obsessed crazy husband, a money hungry con of an ex, love of family, a new love, heartbreak, but, I'm sure everyone is going to be just fine!!!!

If your looking for hot sex this is not the book for you, but if you are looking for a great first book in a series by a great author, than this is the book for you!!!

I can't wait for the next book in this series!!!

#Bree #Dana #murder #loveoffamily #lovedit #cantwaitforthenextone
This is the first time I have read any of this authors books but will definitely read the next one in the series. Very well written from the first to the last page. Great characters and backstories. Plenty of suspense to keep me guessing. All in all a five star performance. Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the chance to review it.

This is the first book in a new series by Melinda Leigh, an author I really love. The setting is not far from her old stomping grounds in Scarlet Falls, NY and the characters have a similar feel. The plot, as always, is a great mystery/suspense that keeps you guessing to the end. There is an almost romance to be fleshed out in coming books, I'm sure. This looks to be a great series.

Twenty-five years ago Bree Taggert's father murdered her mother and then committed suicide leaving Bree, her sister Erin and brother Adam orphans. At eight years old Bree is sent to a cousin in Philadelphia while Erin and Adam were raised by grandparents in Grey's Hollow, NY. It all left its' mark on Bree. When Erin is murdered and her estranged husband, Justin, is the main suspect, all the painful memories come rushing back.

Matt Flynn is a former sheriff's investigator and K-9 handler who was the victim of friendly fire in a bust gone terribly wrong. Matt and his K-9 partner, Brody, survived. When he discovers Erin on the floor of Justin's bedroom, he is drawn into the investigation in order to be sure that Justin isn't blamed for the murder because he is a convenient suspect, and he is missing.

As Bree and Matt pursue every slim clue, they work together and form a bond of trust and respect. With so little to work with they turn to everyone who knew both Erin and Justin in the hopes of finding the murderer. As they Bree and Matt peel back the layers of their lives, a murderer plans and plots to keep his secret.
Bree Taggert is a homicide detective in Philadelphia. She has managed to put a horrible childhood behind her - mostly. When she was eight, her abusive father killer her mother and then himself leaving three children. Bree was raised by a cousin while her younger siblings were raised by their grandparents. She's managed to rebuild her relationships with her siblings but have very mixed feelings about returning to her hometown.

However, when she gets a call from her sister Erin, she drops everything to go to help her. Unfortunately when Bree arrives in town she finds that her sister has been murdered and her estranged husband Justin is missing. Erin's body was discovered by Matt Flynn, a former sheriff's deputy who is Justin's best friend. While he knows Justin had problems with drugs, he can't believe he would have killed Erin.

Bree and Matt decide to investigate the crime themselves. Matt doesn't have good thoughts about the sheriff's department since the accident that ended his career might not have really been an accident. Bree just needs answers.

Bree is also dealing with her sister Erin's two children because she knows the trauma that they are feeling. Things get even more complicated when Erin's ex and the father of her children shows up out of the blue and decides that he wants custody of the kids. Part of Bree's investigation is looking into this deadbeat dad and thinking that he might have had a reason to kill Erin.

This was an entertaining thriller. I liked that the murderer had chapters told from his viewpoint. Fans of fast-paced thrillers will enjoy this new series.
My thanks to NetGalley and publisher Montlake Romance for the ARC.

This really is a cracking good start to a new series featuring Bree Taggert, a homicide detective with the Philadelphia PD and Matt Flynn, a K-9 handler retired from the Sheriff's department in Greys Hollow, New York.
Their paths cross when Bree checks a missed call from her sister Erin asking for help and then not answering Bree's calls.  Bree heads for Greys Hollow.  Matt, with his Alsatian Brody, call on Justin - Erin's husband (banished from the marital home due to his drug addiction).  He finds Erin's body and Justin is missing, as well as Erin's truck.  He doesn't want to believe that Justin was a murderer but there aren't many suspects to choose from.  Bree is determined to find the killer.  Knowing she'll be away from work for a time her friend and fellow detective Dana - on the cusp of retiring - joins her in Grays Hollow, looking after the children.

There's a history of deep mistrust in the Sheriff's Department on Matt's part and, with Bree, they team-up with the acting Sherriff Chief Deputy Todd Harvey as an investigating team.

Bree re-lives the horror of her childhood - she promised to keep Erin and baby Adam safe as she hid them under their house porch whilst their father killed their mother and then himself.  But she hadn't kept Erin safe had she; she needed now to keep her sister's children safe and make decisions.  She has a fear of dogs, stemming from a childhood trauma, and this makes working with Matt and Brody somewhat difficult.

When Bree disturbs an intruder in the family house; finds large money withdrawals from Erin's account; discovers her sister recently got a shotgun, and the children's absent father emerges to take custody of Luke and Kayla - well things become complicated.
We have intermittent rather chilling narrative from the killer's point of view - is he setting out to kill Bree as well?

There are lots of twists and turns as well as red-herrings to throw thoughts in different directions - it is well-written and atmospheric with excellent dialogue making the story flow.
This is a mystery/thriller with some heart-stopping moments; totally absorbing, though with some heart-warming moments as the relationship between Bree and Matt develops.

I am really looking forward to the next instalment!
Cross Her Heart is a fabulous beginning to Melinda Leigh’s Bree Taggert series. A gripping whodunit that provides readers with all the essential elements a good thriller; mystery, deception, danger and revelations, all go hand in hand to make this a thoroughly enjoyable read. I can definitely recommend this book and I’m eager to see what Ms Leigh has in store for us next.
Thanks to NetGalley and Montlake publishing for a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I really, really, enjoyed this newest book by Melinda Leigh.  I am a fan of her Morgan Dane series, and I will for sure be adding this new series to my list.

Bree Taggert and her siblings survived the horror of her parents' murder-suicide 25 years ago.  She returns to Greys Hollow when her sister is murdered.  Determined to find the killer, she teams up with her sister's ex's best friend and his K9 companion.  This is marketed as a romance, but there is very little romance in this book.  I imagine it will pick up as the series goes on, similar to the Morgan Dane series.  I could not put this book down!
Review featured at www.books-n-kisses.com

This is a new series by an author I have heard a lot about so I decided to try it. And I am so glad I did. Now I get it. The writing of Leigh is great. She pulls you in right away.

Bree comes back to her hometown and is immediately pulled into an investigation that she doesn’t think the police are handling correctly. And she has to team up with Matt who just happens to be the suspects be3st friend. So of course he has an ulterior motive.

I can’t wait to read the next in the series. And I think I may need to go back and read some other books by Melinda Leigh.

Disclaimer:
I received a complimentary copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.
Was really excited to read this book as love the Morgan and Lance series and was not disappointed. The book centres upon a detective whose sister has been murdered and she needs to move her life back to where she used to live to investigate it and look after her sisters children. The main characters are endearing and the author introduces them well to allow insight into their lives. A subtle reference to a link with Lance was great. Hoping there will be more in this series as the book is set up for further chapters. An excellent read 5 stars 🌟
Very well written romantic/suspense/murder from an excellent author. I really enjoyed this book and was glued to the kindle the entire time. (Very slow burn romance). The plot kept me guessing who the murderer was right throughout. I highly recommend this book. Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC. 4.5 stars.
From the first page I knew I would love this book. Some stories just draw you in and you have to know where the story will go. Right off the bat you learn Bree's tragic backstory and the action does not slow down from there. While this novel is marketed as a Romantic Suspense, there is literally no romance in it. Since it is the first book in a new series I can only guess that maybe later on there will be more romance and this was just those characters backstory.

I would highly recommend this novel to anyone looking for a quick thriller that will keep you guessing until the end!