Stolen Hearts

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

Wow, where do I start with this review? I ate this book up in less than twenty-four hours!
Stolen Hearts is book three in Marci Bolden’s empowering series The Women of Hearts.  The HEARTS Agency is a team of private investigators lead by women who are all fighting for a cause, devoting their lives to bringing justice to all cases brought their way, all while fighting their own demons.
In Stolen Hearts, Alexa Rodriquez is hired by Dean Campbell whose nineteen-year-old sister has gone missing without a trace. Alexa has a soft spot for missing persons’ cases—in fact, they’re what drives her, and what has made her into the woman she is today. She has a big heart, and even bigger determination.
Dean Campbell’s life is falling apart all around him. He lost his mother to cancer and now his baby sister has vanished. The police won’t listen, not even what’s left of his family; they all insist she’s an adult and has simply chosen to escape the pressures of life and college. Dean knows better though, she would have told him if that were true--no one is as close to Mandy as he is. Or so he thought.
There’s a perfect blend of romance, mystery, and suspense in this novel, but most importantly, this book brings light to two important topics that are very real and happening every day in our world: the youth lost to drugs and human trafficking. The more mysteries Alexa unfolds in Mandy’s disappearance, the darker Dean’s world grows, but Alexa is his shining beacon, keeping him afloat on their mission to save his sister.
When Alexa took on Dean’s case, she never fathomed putting her job, or her client, at risk. But when a case hits so close to home that you’re forced to relive your worst fears, and the only person who can relate is the one person you’re under strict policy to not engage any sort of relationship or bond with, more than hearts are jeopardized.
The characters in this book are so full of life and each have their own defining, unique qualities. While this is book three in a series, I didn’t feel lost or felt like I was missing anything crucial, it’s written like a standalone novel brushed with enough backstory to make the previous books’ characters feel warm and welcoming. With that being said, I haven’t read the previous two books yet but that is the next thing I do after this post! I LOVE this series!
Whenever I pick up a book written by Marci Bolden I know that I am going to be gripped by a myriad of emotions as I become thoroughly immersed in the storyline!  This book was no exception.  Her books are always so character-driven and I could feel the anguish Dean was experiencing as he searches for his missing sister, Mandy.  And Alexa, having to relive her own personal nightmare from twenty years ago when her own sister disappeared!  Throughout everything though, a love begins to grow.  Will Alexa and Dean allow it to flourish or will it get snuffed out by the fear and uncertainty of what has happened to Mandy and whether they will be able to bring her home again?  I always like how Ms. Bolden focuses on issues in society that are occurring in every-day life and incorporates them into her books in order to bring them back to the forefront of our attention.  To me, that has always been the mark of a good novelist.  One who not only entertains but also educates!

I voluntarily reviewed an advanced reader copy I received through NetGalley.
Emotionally gripping:
This book was tragic and heart wrenching as it deals with human trafficking and drug addiction. I thought the author did a great job highlighting the complexities involved and the terrible toll it takes on both the victims and their families. It was fun catching up with the ladies at HEARTS and especially discovering Lexi's story. Dean and Lexi have a sweet relationship but things get rocky along the way and they have to work to establish a future together.
This was book 3 in the series but it can be read as a standalone. I just love this series and can't wait to read the upcoming books!
I received a free copy of this book and am voluntarily leaving a review. All opinions expressed are solely my own.
This is the third book in the HEARTS series.

Twenty years ago, Alexa Rodriguez’s sister disappeared without a trace. The trauma drove Alexa to become a private investigator. No matter how many cases she solves, there will always be a hole from the one that haunts her.

When Dean Campbell hires the HEARTS Agency, he has no idea what has happened to his sister. The police aren’t taking her disappearance seriously, but Dean knows Mandy—and he will do anything to bring her home safely.

As the line between investigator and client blur, the hunt for Mandy continues. But will their need for one another compromise their search?

I really enjoy this series. It is incredibly well written and the I am compl Invested in the characters.
I have loved this series so far. For some reason, the romance in this one didn't strike me with the same chord as the other two. There also wasn't the thriller aspect of this one.
That being said, Bolden has taken on a very tough and relevant top of sex trafficking and drug addiction. The despair and helplessness of family members who's loved one has disappeared is in the forefront in this story--it doesn't focus on the victim, but the family searching desperately for a way to rescue the victim who may not want to be rescued. A great job by Ms. Bolden on displaying a different perspective.
I loved catching up with the ladies of HEART, the all woman private investigative firm. I'm hoping there is a little more wrapping up of this story in the coming books.
I was given a complimentary copy of this book via NetGalley. All thoughts are my own.
Thanks to Netgalley, pink sands publishing and Marci Bolton for  this ARC. So I’ve read the first 3 books so far in this series. I enjoy the storylines and the HEART women. The only thing I can’t get past is all the explicit sexual references. Do we really need that much info? I think the books would hold up without that. Maybe just a tease of sexual  tension  instead, to keep the readers guessing and waiting for the next book to find a conclusion. It seems each book has a main character falling for someone which seems unlikely  if the case was of a serious nature. So for that I give it a 3. Good stories and characters but  to much other non essential and unlikely info. . But that’s just my opinion..
A very interesting and exciting story from Marci. I love the series. It is as though i'm living through the story. What a great writer.
Alexa, works for a detective agency called Hearts. Dean comes to their agency looking for help finding his sister.
Thrilling and suspenseful. Great series.
This was a good addition to the series. You can read this as a stand alone but the other books are great too so I would also read those too. This book does have a tough subject but one that is happening all around the US. Alexa is a great empathic person who just wants to help everyone. She is also still looking for her sister. I do wonder if we will find out what actually happened to her sister and to Holly's past in a future book. I did find the relationship with Dean happened really quickly and under high stress. If this was real life the relationship wouldn't last but luckily for us reader this is fiction. I can't wait for the next book.

*I received a free copy of this book via the NetGalley and am voluntarily leaving a review.*
Alexa Rodriguez became a PI due to the disappearance of her older sister Lanie. She figures honing her skills might help her in uncovering the mystery surrounding the case. Yet when faced with a new case of a missing teen it hits closer to home and the team at HEARTS has concerns for Alexa navigating the similarities.
Dean Campbell knows his sister Mandy didn't just walk away from college and not tell him. Despite what the police claim that she's an adult off finding herself he knows in his bones something is terribly wrong. Hiring the PI firm HEARTS is his last resort. Unexpectedly he and Alexa are drawn to each other, knowing this is the worst timing ever doesn't stop the chemistry from exploding. When they uncover more than his worst nightmare Dean is forced to reevaluate everything. Can he save his sister and keep Alexa at the same time?

This book deals on very real terms with things that happen every day in the US. Not only addiction but what can happen to those that are used against their will.
If you love suspense romance, this is it for you. Marci Bolden has a way with her words that bring out the angst and anxiety with the suspense and the mystery while at the same time making you feel the connection and love between the characters. This was an emotional journey for Alexa and meeting Dean is exactly what she needs, even if it brings out all the hurt of her past. The connection is undeniable and I couldn't get enough.
This is the 3rd book and the most difficult to read emotionally in terms of the subject matter but the author handled it very well.
I like the fact that there were characters whose stories I know from the previous books but it certainly can be read as a standalone.
A strong narrative  which was quite hard hitting and made for compulsive reading. The romantic element took a back seat, and wasn’t the main focus.
My favourite book of the series to date.
Thanks to NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest and independent review
In my opinion this story has the best of both worlds- suspense and romance! This story follows Alexa, a PI at HEARTS, and her journey trying to find Mandy, a college girl who disappears. Dean is Mandy's brother and seems to be the only one who cares that she is missing and believes that she is in danger. The author does a great job at making you feel the emotions of these characters. There is a lot of sadness and guilt but also undeniable love between Alexa and Dean as well as Dean and Mandy. Tying love into the dark topics of prostitution and drug addiction can be a tricky thing but I think Bolden nailed it.

Whenever I started this book I actually did not realize that it was the third book in a series (yes I'm aware that it says it literally on the cover but who actually takes time to look at the cover when you can dive right into a book?!)  Being a few chapters in before I realized it, I was worried that I would miss a lot of the back story but this was not the case at all. Each book seems to focus on a different main character from the HEARTS firm but Bolden also gives you bits and pieces about the other PI's throughout the story. So if you are like me and tend to pass over obvious details like the front page, you should be okay to read this as a stand alone.. Now please excuse me while I go get my hands on the first 2 of the series!
Alexa had spent the last twelve years obsessing about night her older sister -Lanie-  disappeared. She had been there one minute and then she was never seen again.  Alexa had spent so much  of her teen years learning how to work missing persons cases that she never considered anything else as a career. Than her two friends wanted to start a female PI business and Alexa was all for it. It became hearts Investigations. Now she was talking to Dean Campbell who’s little sister -Mandy- was in trouble, according to Dean but the cops wouldn’t help him. The desperation in Dean’s eyes broke Alexa’s heart. She would have to confirm it before Alexa believed it. Holly was the lead investigator and asked Alexa if she was up to taking the case. Dean said he paid Mandy’s living expenses so she could concentrate on school and he hadn’t heard from mandy in a month. They knew Dean wasn’t telling them something but Alexa was determined to get it out of him. She went to Dean’s to see Alexa’s room and after going through it, Alexa found a pot pipe and some pot, also a couple of pictures of Mandy with some friends at a nightclub, and than her journal.  Dean and mandy had lost their mother to cancer three years earlier and it had been hard on both of them. Alexa wanted to hug and comfort dean as his world came crashing down around him, and he didn’t know what to do or where to turn. Than Dean said he didn’t know Mandy. He didn’t know what she would or wouldn’t do. What kind of brother was he ? Alexa reassured him he was a great brother she could see it in his eyes how scared he was and he felt it in his gut that mandy needed him. Alexa talked with Mandy’s roommate Tina -at college- who said she was doing a lot  of pills and drinking. She had a jerk of a boyfriend named Darrin who Tina felt was controlling and maybe a little abusive. As Dean and Alexa worked on finding mandy they got closer. She said she what she was looking for from a man involving romance . He wondered why she hadn’t found it. She was beautiful and thoughtful and brilliant, but she also sexy as hell. The way she stared him down, as if picking his brain apart, kept him enthralled. Her tenderness kept him sane.
Excellent book. I absolutely loved it. Iread it in one setting as I couldn't put it down. I loved how close the women in Hearts were and how they were there for each other. I advise you to read this series in order for a smoother read. I loved the plot and pace. I loved Alexa and Dean together and how they interacted with each other. My heart went out to Dean and his love for mandy and Alexa still wanted to find out what exactly happened to lanie. This was just an all around excellent read as far as I am concerned.  I have a new favorite book. I loved the characters and the ins and outs of this book and I highly recommend it.
The Women of Hearts series just got hotter with Stolen Hearts, it’s a good mix of mystery, suspense and romance. Dean Campbell’s younger sister Mandy disappears and he turns to HEARTS Investigative Services for help. Alexa Rodriguez is tasked with this case, and this case hits close to home. The only thing keeping Dean sane is Alexa and her support and thoughtfulness. There’s chemistry and an undeniable attraction between them, but Alexa knows it can’t be acted upon while he’s her client. Until it gets to the point where she can’t help but act upon it...
This is a well written book that holds your attention. It is full of emotions and you can feel them all. This is not a book for people that are easily offended by reading about the seedy part of life, even though it's out there. This book can be read as a stand alone even though it's book three in the series. Thank you Pink Sand Press via NetGalley for the ARC copy of this book. All opinions expressed are my own.
Marci Bolden has written my new favorite romantic suspense series with Stolen Hearts being the third addition. The spotlight is on Alexa Rodriguez who is the softest of this tough team of women investigators. Dean Campbell is wanting to find his missing sister which he hires the HEARTS Agency to do.

Marci Bolden has written the most intensely soul searching emotional book of the series with Stolen Hearts. Alexa’s past trauma and loss brings the perspective of heartbreak that one goes through over time but also another as one is currently going through it as Dean is. This story did not pull me in but sucked me completely in as I joined Alexa as she searched the Campbell home or interview dorm mates, then putting together the clues. Later I felt the sorrows, the joys and the anger right along with Alexa and Dean. One word of warning, the suspense covers some of the more seedy aspects of our society that sadly is prevalent. However the suspense is balanced out by the lovely romance that blooms between Den and Alexa.

A stand-alone complete book with no cliffhangers, by one of the most consistently great storytellers of today. I highly recommend Stolen Hearts along with all of the books in the HEARTS Agency series.

An ARC of the book was given to me by the publisher through Net Galley which I voluntarily chose to read and reviewed. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
In a story of a missing young woman, it brings home a memory for one member of the Hearts team, who has been searching for her sister for a long time. Great, engaging story that keeps the reader involved until the end.
This was a great book, as it really delved into the struggles one faces when personal tragedy impacts your current job.  I found the character of Alexa to be well-written and well-developed.  There was also plenty of suspense in this book.  I highly recommend it and the other books in this series.
The Women of Hearts get involved in a new case that hits Alexa close to home. A young girl goes missing and her brother is the only one who seems to be worried about her. Alexa has spent years working missing persons cases because she herself has suffered such a loss. What she doesn't expect it to find everything she's ever wanted in a man, in a package that is her client Dean. There will be some broken hearts coming their way and some new mysteries popping up for other members of the Hearts team. All in all a satisfying story.