Cover Image: Chi Spacca

Chi Spacca

While Chi Spacca feels very new and different with regards to focus and many of the flavor profiles, from start to finish, this is absolutely a Nancy Silverton book. If you are a fan of her, her food, or her restaurants, this is probably going to be an instant by for you. I really did enjoy a number of recipes here and in particular picked up some great techniques. Got to love the evolution of her bottom of the oven technique.

Now, all of that said, there are a number of recipes here that while fun to read and think about, have a pretty high level of difficulty and access for a lot of home cooks. Because of the pandemic and working from home, I did have the time and inclination to put into some of the mise that could take quite a while for some. Plus there is the searching for ingredient substitutions since I’m in a slightly different climate than California. These are recipes and adaptations from Silverton’s restaurant, so some of that is expected, but if you are looking for a quick Tuesday night meal and you don’t have a prep chef, there is a lot here that may not work for you. Though if you have the the time and effort to put in, there are absolutely dishes here that will wow your dinner table.

Thanks to Netgalley and Knopf for the advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
This time Nancy Silverton has taken on meats, fish and vegetables. After living in Umbria, Italy she learned all kinds of dishes such as Bone Marrow Pie, and Moroccan braised shanks. Vegetables such as charred sugar snap peas and roasted beets with chicories. She also includes her wonderful butterscotch budino. All of Nancy Silverton’s books are wonderful and so is this one of course.
I love reviewing cookbooks, not just for their slick pages and glossy photos but also to be immersed in a chef's story about a dish, and if I'm lucky, to learn a thing or two. Nancy Silverton is a chef's chef. I have seen cool-as-a-cucumber cooking show contenders become completely unglued when they find out she will be judging their dishes. That being said, I didn't know much about her before reading this cookbook. The introductory pages provide her culinary backstory and the recipes included are a collection from her three Los Angeles restaurants: Chi Spacca, Pizzeria Mozza, and Osteria Mozza. She believes that the internet and Instagram has made "fusion food" is a thing of the past and I couldn't agree more. This cookbook is definitely "meat-heavy" but there are lots of other great recipes for breads, vegetables, and desserts included. I reviewed this as an e-ARC but will definitely be purchasing a physical copy.
This book was received as an ARC from Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

I am an absolute fan of Nancy Silverton, her restaurants and her dishes due to her multiple appearances as a guest judge on Top Chef. I could not help but fall in love with the back story of Chi Spacca and how she was inspired by the butchers of Italy including her very good friend Dario Cecchini whom made an appearance on Top Chef by butchering the major cuts of the cow and loved how he always said the word CARNE after he was done. I am so inspired by the recipes featured in this cookbook and can't wait to try them. Hopefully this will be a potential candidate for a future cooking demo.

We will consider adding this title to our TX Cookbook collection at our library. That is why we give this book 5 stars.
I was immediately caught by the inclusion of the garam masala spice mix, preserved lemons, ras el Hanout, and Za'atar -- I'm all for that. Unfortunately for me, the instructions aren't numbered (yep, I need my hand held),  but I'm so excited to try some of the unusual pairings/recipes/ingredients that I've not come across before (puntarella, lipstick peppers, pork tonnato, etc) and a few recipes that I think my family would really enjoy. While the design is not my preferred (really, hold my hand), it's easy to follow, the photos are great, and I can't wait to go on the hunt for some of the ingredients I've never tried before. #ChiSpacca #NetGalley
A staple cookbook by a famous chef but in terms of accessibility this book went over my head with the recipes and Ingredients - it’s definitely for a more advanced cook or a Nancy silverton fan.
I get what this book was going for, but it ended up feeling dense and not very accessible for a home cook. Pictures looked delicious, but often left out dishes that I would most like to see pictured.
Date reviewed: July 29, 2020

When life for the entire universe and planet turns on its end and like everyone else you "have nothing to do" while your place of work is closed and you are continuing to be in #COVID19 #socialisolation,  superspeed readers like me can read 250+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. And it is way too hot to go outside, so why not sit in from of the blasting a/c and read and review books??  BTW - stay home and save lives!!!!!!!! No tan is worth dying for.

From the James Beard Award-winning star of Netflix's Chef's Table: 100+ recipes for meat (and more!) from Chi Spacca, her acclaimed, meat-oriented Los Angeles restaurant

In her first meat-centric cookbook, Nancy Silverton ("Queen of L.A.'s restaurant scene" --Los Angeles Times), shares the secrets of cooking like an Italian butcher with recipes for meats, fish, and vegetables that capture the spirit of Italy. Drawing on her years living and cooking in Umbria, Italy, and from the menu of her revered steakhouse, Chi Spacca (hailed as a "meat speakeasy" by Food & Wine), Silverton, and Chi Spacca's executive chef Ryan DeNicola, present their take on such mouth-watering dishes as Beef Cheek and Bone Marrow Pie; Coffee-Rubbed Tri-Tip; Fried Whole Branzino with Pickled Peppers and Charred Scallions; and Moroccan Braised Lamb Shanks.

And vegetable dishes are given just as much attention, from fire-kissed Whole Roasted Cauliflower with Green Garlic Crème Fraîche; Charred Sugar Snap Peas with Yogurt, Guanciale, and Lemon Zest; Little Gems with Herb Breadcrumbs, Bacon Vinaigrette, and Grated Egg; Roasted Beets with Chicories, Yogurt, and Lemon Zest. Also included are Silverton's own spins on steakhouse classics such as Caesar salad, creamed corn, and mashed potatoes, as well as desserts, including, of course, her beloved butterscotch budino.

Nancy Silverton is such a tour de force and I just inhaled this book as soon as I was approved! I laughed when I saw the ingredient Guanciale as the only place I have ever seen or heard of it was on my beloved "Guy's Grocery Games".  There is great emphasis on butchery and met all expectations and the vegetables were wonderful recipes as well.

This book is like a steak house menu - well thought out. excellent entrees and sides (aka the recipes) and a deeply satisfied meal/read all in all along with butterscotch budino, something I was literally bathe in and be happy as a result!

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/Tik-Tok and YouTube  Millionaires/etc. " on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it 🥩🥩🥩🥩🥩