The Royal Gift: 2019 Two Giftens Edition

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

In The Royal Gift by Drae Box, Aldora Leom'as's life is upended when raiders attack her village, stealing the Dagger of Protection that their village watched over. She embarks on a quest (at the request of the king) to recover the dagger and help save her people from subsequent attacks. On her journey, Aldora meets Raneth Bayre, a Giften royal official on the hunt for a murderer, and the Prince of the Cats, Pedibastet. Together, can they track down the raiders and recover the Dagger? This novel is full of magic, talking cats, and adventure. Young fans of the fantasy genre will enjoy visiting the Kingdom of Giften, but there's nothing that makes it stand out, which is why I give it 3/5 stars.
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for my honest opinion. This book is available now.

This was an interesting experience for me. I did not care for it myself, but I think that the author will improve and the next endeavor might be really good. The ideas were creative, but the execution needed a little work.

First of all, the reader is dropped right into the middle of the story without any setup or explanation. I was actually confused enough to wonder if I’d missed a previous book that explained everything. While it does clear up as time goes on, it was a very disconcerting start.

I did appreciate the uniqueness of the book. The Prince of Cats was a fun character, although, like the others, he needed more development. It felt as though I was reading a first or second draft and not the finished book.

That being said, the premise is interesting, but the end product needs tweaking. I didn’t hate the book, but it wasn’t for me.

Have you read it? What did you think?
There was too much telling and not enough showing. I couldn’t imagine anything that was happening. I didn’t understand what the big deal was with this dagger. I liked the fact that the cats could talk, but there wasn’t much focus on that aspect.
**Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy of this book from NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.**

This was a hard book to get through. The writing was akin to a middle schooler (which I have found out is exactly the case - the author was only 14 at the time of writing this book). While I am impressed that someone so young has been able to go out,reach for their dream and publish their work, I just could not like the book.

The characters never developed to a point where I could like or even relate to them, as an adult reading this, I felt very much the parent in a Disney movie - trying to explain to an exacerbated child that they were not allowed to do they thing they wanted to because it wasn't the best/right choice & yelling at a book never ends well.

There were definitely elements I enjoyed - talking cat, fairy tale nods, magic weapons, but the story wasn't given a chance to develop, however I do believe a younger (12-15yr olds) reader would get more enjoyment out of the story and even be inspired by the author to try and reach their own goals at a young age.
Not really sure how I felt about this book. The cover is amazing however and its what caught my eye. I don't know if I would read it again, but it was good over all.
This was my first book by this author, It was pretty enjoyable. I would give this book a 3.5 star rating! It was a pretty Quick and easy read!
The Royal Gift is a simplistic fantasy ideal for Middle School students or even for reading with younger children as an introduction to fantasy. There is not a lot of descriptive world-building or establishment of systems that are usual with fantasy, but rather it is a basic coming of age adventure with fantasy elements.  The characters are interesting, if rather juvenile,  and it is hard not to love Pedibastet. The plot is fun but there is not a lot of complexity, making it ideal for young readers beginning their journey into fantasy. It most likely will not suit adult readers who enjoy YA - it is too simplistic.