Cover Image: Little Secrets

Book: Little Secrets
Author: Jennifer Hillier
Publisher: St. Martin’s Press
Pub Date: April 21, 2022

Jaw dropping. That’s what this book is. Jaw dropping. I can’t tell you how much I loved and enjoyed this book. I wish I could forget it and read it again for the first time just to enjoy it all over again. Bravo Jennifer Hillier! In a way it was a slow burn because you wanted to absorb every single word spoken….but yet it was pulse pounding to keep moving you forward. This is one my most favorite books I have read this year!

Thank you St. Martin’s Press and NetGalley for this sneak peak! Publication date is April 21, 2022.
4.5⭐
I read my first Jennifer Hillier book! I feel like I'm now part of the cool kids club. 😉

What begins as a perfect family turns into a horrible nightmare when Marin took her little boy for some Christmas shopping at Seattle's Pike Place Market. Sebastian was abducted while Marin was distracted by her phone. More than a year later when there's no progress from the FBI, Marin hires a PI to keep looking then was told that her husband Derek is having an affair. How far would one go to keep what's left of the family?

The story could go in so many directions and I was really hanging on with my mouth open savoring every bit of the story. What I love about Hillier's writing is that none of these characters are good people (really no good) but somehow I like every single one of them. How does that even work? I would've hit my head with the book if I had a physical copy when I got to the twist. This was very entertaining, I'm super obsessed when it all unraveled.👠👠

Thank you St. Martin's Press, Minotaur Books, and Netgalley for this DRC.
As a parent, I can tell you that a missing child is one of the most scariest things that can happen.. How long would you hold onto hope to get them back? What would you be willing to do to get your child back?
This book is an emotional rollercoaster of a couples experience after a child goes missing. Their situation only grows more desperate the longer they hold onto their secret's and the longer they use the coping mechanisms they have each chosen to relieve their grief.

Marin and Derek are desperate to get their son back. Both grieve for their loss in  different ways but they don’t know how each is effecting the other. Marin’s new and old friends help her try to to keep it together as she also tries to keep her marriage from collapsing too.
5 stars all the way!! Wow! This book was amazing! Little Secrets is the best book I’ve read in awhile, definitely my #1 book of the year so far. Once I got to about 30%, I couldn’t put it down, and I finished the rest in one sitting. I did have my guess on who the kidnapper was somewhat early and my prediction was right but it still was an amazing ride while it all unraveled. The characters are all very well developed and the writing is fabulous, keeps you engaged and intrigued the whole time!! I cannot wait to read more from this author!!

Thank you St. Martins Press/Minotaur books for a gifted copy of this book in return for my honest review!
I've been seeing Jennifer Hillier's books all over "bookstagram" ever since I became involved in the community a few years ago. To say I was excited to read this book would be an understatement. Maybe my expectations were too high from all the hype.

The book wasn't bad, but I think categorizing it as a thriller may have been the wrong move. I started reading it expecting to be caught off guard and shocked by plot twists. There weren't any parts when I felt suspense, thrills, or the nail-biting anxiety I expect from a strongly written thriller.

Too much of the book was overtaken by the affair and told from McKenzie's POV, who I didn't care about. I think a lot of it could have been cut without affecting the story. The ending "plot twist" was disappointing, but I don't want to reveal any spoilers.

In addition, I'm not sure if an earlier draft was accidentally uploaded to NetGalley, but the eBook I received was full of typos, grammatical errors, incorrect word usage, and spelling errors. If this was the final version, then this author needs a new editor.

*I received a free eBook from NetGalley in exchange for writing an honest review. Thank you to Jennifer Hillier, NetGalley, and Minotaur Books for the free book.
This is my first book that I have read by Jennifer Hillier and I can say that I was quite impressed. This book was not what I expected, which was a book about a mother looking for her kidnapped child. The story was about the lives and secrets that the parents of the missing child keep. The plot was fast moving and kept me on my toes!
My very first Jennifer Hillier book and I was not disappointed. The person I expected to be the “bad guy” was not who I thought it was. The characters are relatable in ways that are all to real for me and my household. The holes dug get deeper and deeper and the possibility of climbing out of it is slim to none.

When Sebastian goes missing, his mom, Marin, frantic, calls 911 and starts in a journey no parents want to have to go through.
“Little Secrets”
By Jennifer Hillier

What a Wicked Web We Weave

Posh salon-for-the-rich-and-famous owner, Marin, and her self-made millionaire husband, Derek, seem to have it all in Jennifer Hillier’s engrossing psychological twisty thriller, “Little Secrets,” until the day a phone call distracts Marin in a busy market days before Christmas and the hand of her four-year-old son, Sebastian, slips away and so does he.

I found Hillier’s multi-point-of-view novel completely realistic, captivating, poignant, and conscience-raising.  The heart-wrenching topic of child abduction and its various potential outcomes is the primary focus of “Little Secrets.”

The novel also delves into many of the offshoots of grief and personal loss— self-harm; physical, mental, and psychological abuse; and philandering.  Hillier explores how some individuals in times of personal tragedy and tremendous pain may react.  Many keep secrets— embarrassing secrets.

Author Jennifer Hillier does an intriguing job of exploring how one family deals with their pain of loss by creating a web of intertwining mysteries linked through the darkly escalating subterfuge they each keep from each other.  “Little Secrets” is a fast-paced read and not for the faint of heart.  It’s a story of love, loss, self-reflection, redemption, and reconciliation.

=====================///====================

The Book Maven’s Journal—Reviews for Word Connoisseurs
STAR RATING            ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
“Little Secrets”
Author:  Jennifer Hillier
Genre: Fiction (Adult)  |  Mysteries  & Thrillers |
Publication Date:  20 April 2020
Publisher:  Minotaur Books, an imprint of St. Martin’s Publishing Group

My sincere appreciation goes to NetGalley; Author Jennifer Hillier; and Publisher Minotaur Books, an imprint of St. Martin’s Publishing Group; for this Advance Reader Copy.
This was a great novel! Buuuuutttt the only fault I had to it was the language and some sexual content. There was just too much of the language for my taste. It wasn’t on every page but when it was there, it stayed a little too much. And the sexual content was not all the way through, but I believe there were two places and one wasn’t too graphic, but one it was and I didn’t like it. This is why I only gave 4 stars. It would have been a 5 otherwise. Now to the story……it was an extremely interesting story. All kinds of twists and turns that you can’t believe would be done. It was kind of disturbing, but still so interesting. The book starts out Marin and Sebastian, Marin’s little boy, they are at the market a few days before Christmas and it’s very crowded. Marin is holding tight to her son’s hand. Then her phone rings that she’s gotten a text and it’s her husband, Derek. She lets go of Sebastian’s hand, but he’s still holding to her leg. She talks to her husband, but talking to Sebastian to not wander off. Then when she gets done talking with her husband, which really isn’t that long at all, she notices that Sebastian is gone. And this is the start of this novel and all it’s twist and turns. It is a really good book, except for the reasons I gave above about the language and sexual content. Thank you to #NetGalley, and the publishers, Minotaur Books , and the author, Jennifer Hillier, for the opportunity to read and review #LittleSecrets with my honest thoughts and opinions.
Thank you NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for this e-ARC in exchange for my honest review.

I've been wanting to read this book for some time now and was so excited I was approved for this title! This was my first Jennifer Hillier book and definitely won't be my last!

WOW. So good! Jennifer Hillier's writing is on point. I ate up every word. This was such an addictive read. Very twisted and dark! This one definitely lived up to all the hype I was seeing on bookstagram. The ending was mind-blowing and amazing!

I can't wait to read her other books!

I will post my review on IG @thrillersandcoffee
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the free digital copy of this book!

Whew. As a mother, this book was a very difficult read. My biggest fear is losing my young son, and this book addresses everything the main character feels and experiences after her son is abducted from her in broad daylight. The absolute depths of despair the mother feels is painful to experience second hand, but does such a compelling job of making you sympathetic towards her and what she’s been through.

This thriller was very different from a lot of others I have read, and I thoroughly enjoyed it in spite of the very dark subject matter.

Highly recommend this book; it was a very fast read and readers that enjoy Jennifer McMahon will also enjoy this domestic thriller.
On the positive side, it’s a book you can’t put down. However, it’s not believable and lots of language/descriptive scenes I had to skip over.
I loved this book, it was so twisty and wasn't your average kidnapped child story. Everything you think you know throughout the book turns into something completely different and the ending will definitely surprise you. The way the story wraps up is great, how all the parts of the story come together and plays out was great too.
Thank you NetGalley for the ARC of this book.
Little Secrets was so gripping. I never wanted to put it down! The chapters were short and kept you engaged. It had a great plot that kept you guessing and wanting to fly through the pages even faster. I appreciated how the ending rounded out the book and didn’t leave you with a ton of linger questions. Jennifer Hillier knows how to write a thriller you guys!!! 5 stars for me. ⠀
Really fun read.  I enjoyed the writing style, and the red herrings that kept me guessing. Marin had a strong voice and character. Although I don’t agree with all her decisions, I enjoyed reading about her!
"Four minutes. That's all it took to steal a child". (Jennifer Hillier)

Derek and Marin are happily married. Marin is shopping at a local market with their 4-year-old son Sebastian. She receives a text and lets go of Sebastian little hand for just a moment to answer. Suddenly, Marin realizes her son is no longer beside her.

The FBI follows every lead. The family offers a reward for the safe return of Sebastian, but the trail goes cold. Marin hires private investigator Vanessa Castro, who uncovers the fact Derek is having a affair with a younger woman named Kenzie. How can this be happening to Miran? How much can one person take?

Oh my word! If you love thrillers and have not read "Little Secrets" by Jennifer Hillier, you need to. Having a child kidnapped is every parent's worst nightmare. This is a incredible story with absolutely shocking plot twists. I read it straight through in one night. Jennifer Hillier is one of my all time favorite authors. I read every book she publishes. Yes! She IS that good! I highly recommend all her books!

5  Huge ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ (If I could give it 10 I would!)

Thank you NetGalley, Jennifer Hillier, and St. Martin's Press for the honor of reviewing this amazing book. I appreciate it so much.
Marin and Derek’s world comes crashing down when their young son, Sebastian, is kidnapped. It’s been almost a year and a half, and Sebastian is still nowhere to be found.  Then, Marin’s private investigator gives her some shocking information - her husband has been having a 6 month affair with a much younger woman.  Marin is livid… what will she do?

I enjoyed this book and the author writing style. It is my first book by the author, and I’m definitely going to be reading more by her.
4.75 STARS

Synopsis: Meet Marin - she runs her own chain of upscale hair salons, has a loving, successful husband, and a cute four year old son named Sebastian. She had the perfect life, up until the day her son was kidnapped. Fast forward a year, and Marin is a shadow of herself. The FBI search has gone cold & she and her husband rarely speak. She hires a P.I. to pick up where the police left off, but instead of finding Sebastian, she discovers that her husband is having an affair with a younger woman. Discovery of the affair sparks Marin back to life. She's lost her son; she's not about to lose her husband, too.

After reading & LOVING Jar of Hearts by Jennifer Hillier, I knew I had to get my hands on more of her work. This book did not disappoint - it was packed full of suspense from the first chapter until the last. I loved Marin as a main character - she was intelligent, ambitious, and independent. Like Jar of Hearts, this was an addicting story, and I never wanted to put it down. I will definitely be reading all of Jennifer Hillier's future & past work!

I definitely recommend picking this one up!!

Checkout my review on Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/3096501163?book_show_action=false&from_review_page=1

Checkout my review on Instagram at @mollyreadsthrillers
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for sending me a copy of this in exchange for an honest review! I was kind of "iffy" when I first dived into this one but the more I read the more I realized that I was going to enjoy the roller coaster that this was!
This book is already published, but thank you to St. Martin's Press and NetGalley for the digital copy.

THE PLOT

Marin's child goes missing one day. 15 months later, she finds out her husband, Derek, is having an affair. Marin can't let that stand. She has to fix this.

MY OPINION

Two things: 1) I read this book because I've seen the hype around her latest "Things We Do In The Dark." 2) I didn't realize until 80% through she wrote "Jar of Hearts" which had the most WTF disturbing (in a gross way) ending. The ending was so NOT RIGHT, it still sticks with me 3+ years after reading it.

Ok. So safe to say, I am not a fan of this author. When I realized she wrote Jar of WTFs, it all made sense... There's a lot of similarities between the two books: Seattle, wealth, lack of logic, oh and did I say wealth??? Any chance she could, Hillier dropped a luxury name. It came across like a 16-year-old writing a letter to her future self... Some sort of wet dream for girls who think getting a Louis Vuitton will complete their lives. It was excessive to say the least.

Next, the writing quality. Basique, as many of the books I've read (nay, endured) this year. Her attempts at insightfulness were as shallow as her characters. I'm not a parent, so by default I've never lost a child, but Marin's obsession with her husband's mistress and misdirection of blame for the affair is grating. Also, he's cheated before her child was snatched up, so she's not new to this. The lengths she goes to "fix" the "problem" of her husband being ain't shit by banging a younger woman is.... ?????? T H E R A P Y.

I found it predictable... and a little over the top like Jar of WTFs. TBH can I please read a book where teenage/college love ISN'T the motive for psycho behaviour??? Can anyone just move tf on??? Or go to a therapist???? You guys were an item 20 years ago and you're committing felonies because of it????? Nah nah NAH.

A duddity dud dud.

PROS AND CONS
Pros: idk
Cons: Basic writing, unreasonable and shallow characters, two pack of ass ending