Cover Image: Little Secrets

Little Secrets

I like thrillers, but don’t read them very often. From my minimal back knowledge of the genre, Little Secrets by Jennifer Hillier seems to fall right into the middle of the road.

There is basic writing with some pop culture references that will not age well. A page turning plot, but an ending that I predicted near the halfway point. Characters who are interesting at times, but are not very developed. And of course, as most thrillers are, it’s a quick, fun read. Overall, I did not regret reading it, but am not quick to recommend.
I definitely liked this, despite the fact that it's pretty predictable.

Marin loses her son in busy Pike Place Market right before Christmas. It's obvious from the CCTV footage that he was taken. And the book mostly deals with how Marin and her husband are dealing with this over a year later. Obviously not well.

It was entertaining. It was hard to put down. The ending is pretty predictable and so is the perpetrator. Although I did have someone else fingered as a possibility, but only occasionally. You'll see what I mean when you read it.
Disclaimer: I received an arc of this book in exchange of an honest review.

Hmm this one definitely was a pleasant surprise. You really shouldn't judge a book by its cover but I was actually a little on the fence with this one because of that.

Admittedly, I was wrong. The first chapter specifically really painted a picture and gave me chills and I'm not even a parent.

The book was a little all over the place and a bit easy to guess but was still well written and well planned, which made it overall enjoyable.

A lot of the characters make stupid decisions and it does annoy, but it felt realistic. Overall I enjoyed! Would recommend.
This was a slower read until the ending. I still enjoyed it some but its hard for me when books read slower. There were some good twists.
I am a HUGE Jennifer Hillier fan, and Little Secrets was no different. An amazing domestic thriller that will keep you guessing. This is one of those books that I wish I could read over and over without knowing what happens. Can’t wait for her next one!
Hillier's thriller is definitely dark. Any story parent trying to put her life back together after her child goes missing will be dark and hard to read. Marin and Derek have tried to continue their lives after the loss of their son Bash in different ways. Marin has found refuge in a support group for parents of missing children, something she knows Derek will not approve of. Derek has found his own ways to cope as well.

As Marin continues to hold out hope through her independent investigator to continue to look for leads into her son's kidnapping, she uncovers more and more little secrets that will either help put pieces back together or destroy everything.

This kept me more than intrigued, and with all psychological thrillers, we are waiting for the revelation. I was pleasantly surprised by this one.
All right, so, Little Secrets was good. Very good. However, there was something that bothered me . . . here's a story about a mom who lost her son while shopping. You'd think that would be the focal point of the story. It's not. It only becomes a part of the story again toward the end.

Now here's one other thing -- I actually liked it better as it was instead of a story trying to find her son . . . who was lost/missing for over a year.

We have a story of a woman who is being cheated on with a younger woman. The relationship between Marin and her husband had been strained since their son went missing. Naturally, as all women do -- please note the sarcasm here -- Marin ends up sleeping with her best friend who she had briefly dated in high school who is still in love with her.

Marin's best friend ends up introducing her to, essentially, a hit man who Marin wants to knock off her husband's mistress. However, this is where the book starts to get very interesting. I can't go into too much detail without spoiling. But there is a lot of betrayal, secrets come out, and you really can't trust anyone in this book.

This was an interesting read and I liked the ending. It just felt underwhelming at the same time. The twist seemed to tie together nicely, but there was something missing and I can't quite put my finger on it.
The story revolves around Marin and how she is trying to cope with the kidnapping of her son Sebastien. It provides you insight in the lives of her and her husband Derek, along with the good, bad and ugly versions that people sometimes end up becoming of themselves.

This book captured my attention from the first chapter. It was an extremely twisted, thrilling, and fast paced novel. I went in to it not knowing anything and I was so pleasantly surprised by the writing. The author did a great job at building up the story and characters to keep you invested the whole time. It was a quick read and I liked that it didn't feel dragged on and provided the right context at the right time.

Thoroughly enjoyed this one, and I will be checking our more books from Jennifer Hillier.
Good read but i figured it out halfway through. I do read a lot of thrillers though so that may be why.  It was intriguing and had some twists and turns.
Marin and her 5 year old son, Sebastian, are finishing up Christmas shopping when he disappears. Marin never gives up hope for his safe return, even as her and her husband, Derek, grow apart.  Through this emotional roller coaster of a thrill ride you feel Marin’s pain and heartbreak and with every twist and turn of the plot you can’t put it down until the very end where you feel breathless and shocked. Such a emotionally thrilling read.  I can’t give this book enough stars!!

Thank you NetGalley, Jennifer Hillier and Minotaur Books for this edition and hearing my honest review. Looking forward to reading more with you
#partner
Great suspenseful mystery!  Characters you can care about (or not, if you decide) and a story that isn't overly complicated but threw me off a couple of times.  The writing style was very informative without all the overly descriptive language I swear authors only use to hit some imaginary page requirement.  I recommend to anyone looking for a good mystery and will also seek more from this author.
This was exactly the thriller I needed this fall! Plenty of twists and turns that I didn't see coming, likeable characters, and a satisfying ending.
This book is about Marin and Derek and how they are effected by their son's disappearance. Of course they are devastated and their relationship starts to fall apart. When it seems everyone else has given up hope for finding her son, Marin hires a private investigator to look into the disappearance. The PI doesn't find anything about her son, but she does find some things Marin isn't happy about. When the secrets start to come out, what lengths will Marin go to to salvage her family?

This was my first book by Jennifer Hillier, and I was impressed! I went in blind, not really knowing what this was about, but I was hooked from the beginning. It didn't take long for the book to get exciting. What really stood out to me, was the emotions felt by people who had a loved one go missing. It was truly heart breaking to read what they went through everyday their loved ones were gone. I really didn't see where this was going until the big reveal of what was really going on and I literally said "Wait what?!" out loud.
This was another excellent thriller by the author.  I have read almost all of her books and they never disappoint!
Like Jar of Hearts, this novel had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. The ending was unpredictable, and the characters were well written. I enjoyed reading this book.
When her son is taken in a busy marketplace and no trace of him can be found, hair salon owner Marin falls apart. A year later she is still trying to piece herself back together, starting with her relationship with her husband. While trying to make things work, she discovers he is actually having an affair with a much younger woman. While she may not be able to control finding her son, she can control what happens to her husband's mistress. I love Jennifer Hillier's books and this one was no exception. It had a surprising story element in it that I frankly did not see coming.
This book is great! Would definitely recommend. Thanks so much to NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC.
This was my first novel by author Jennifer Hillier, but it won't be my last! I loved this fabulously woven story of a woman whose young son is stolen, and whose husband has committed the ultimate betrayal. I give this novel an A++.
Your worst nightmares come true. Setting, character interiority, suspenseful--all masterfully done. I love Jennifer Hillier's stories, and I could not put this down!
This was a very entertaining thriller about a woman whose young son was kidnapped over a year ago and now she finds out that her husband is cheating on her. There were several good twists and I enjoyed the ending.