A Girl Like Me

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Jan 2020

This was a rip-roaring lion(ness) of a book in which young women of color stand up for their right to be whomever they want, and we've never needed that more than we do now with a groping, misogynist of a racist president in office backed by a bunch of weak, white old sheep of 'men' in his party and yes-men of that same aged hue in his cabinet.

Defying the nay-sayers, who tell her she can't fly so high, or swim so far, or climb so strongly, the girl at the heart of these stories carries on not out of rebellion or defiance (that comes later when she goes to by a new cape!), but because she knows without a doubt that she can do do the very things others would have her believe she can't and deny her the right to even try. This is affirmative action at its best! I loved this book, the photo-collage illustrations, the powerful text and the strong females who inhabit this world. Angela Johnson and Nina Crews? You rock!
I enjoyed this book and would use it in my classroom. I like the use of poetry mixed with the  unique pictures. Girls will enjoy the message of the story.
I received an electronic ARC from Lerner Publishing Group through NetGalley.
Brilliant illustrations by Crews support the text by Johnson. The book captures young girls dreaming and imagining all that they can be. It encourages them to defy the odds and ignore those who tell them they can't do something.
Johnson delivers a strong message that young girls need to be encouraged and supported to explore their options as they grow up.
I think this is an incredibly cute book for children. It could help them, especially little girls, understand that being themselves is always enough, and they can do anything they want to do.
I don't think I'm the audience for this. Actually, I'm not sure who the audience for this is. I can see very young children taking delight in looking at the photographs of all the little girls like them. On the other hand, the poetry text is kind of esoteric, and the "girl power!" message gets a little lost in the jumble of words. As an adult, I "get" it... but I don't know if kids will.

I do often like photo collage, but something about the way it's done here doesn't really work. Sometimes--especially when the scene is meant to look realistic--it has an air of "bad Photoshop" about it. The more fanciful collages are better.

Overall, I'm not sure if I'd recommend this one... mainly because I'm not sure who I'd recommend it to.
Nothing worse that people telling you who you are. I love books that tell kids to be themselves, authentic, regardless of other peoples opinion. How else can you discover who you were meant to be if others are forever trying to bolt you down. It took me too long, too many wasted years, worrying what everyone else thought, but no more. I dress the way I want, and do what I want. and if no one else likes it tough! That it harm one....
I love this book and every one should read it. Make a great gift for a girl.
A cute picture book about dreaming and girl power. A young lady dreams of all sorts of things to do. Then realizes she can do things outside her dreams  gathers  other girls to realize they can do anything. Good illustrations
This unique picture book combines empowering poetry with photo-collage art. With a message that girls can do even more than they dream of, many young girls will enjoy the quirky art and the simple free-verse poetry, and find it inspiring.
I received a free digital ARC from Net Galley. I was expecting a little more out of this-some more empowering statements.
Inspiring poetry and eye-popping  photo collage make this a very enjoyable book to read. Children might enjoy reading this aloud, writing similar poetry focusing on their thoughts and attitudes, and reading other works by the author and illustrator. A real boost to the spirit!