On a Snow-Melting Day

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Jan 2020

If you love April Pulley Sayre’s work—and I do—you’ll like or love this. Lovely photos, lots of strong rhyme, assonance, and consonance in the text. A good read-aloud for preschool or library Spring-themed storytimes (not a story, though—this would fall in that “talking about the season” portion, perhaps after a story with a plot)
“On a Snow Melting Day: Seeking Signs of Spring” captures that wonderful moment when everything shifts and tips from winter toward spring. There’s a lovely energy to this book, a  momentum that is enhanced by the structure and by the interplay between poetry and photographs (three of which are Buffy’s). The words and images are paired together beautifully!  The photographs are gorgeous–bright and vivid–and the language is wonderfully engaging with clever rhyming, powerful verbs and creative adjectives.There’s even additional information at the end of the book to fuel discussions about natural changes as spring approaches.

This book is sure to delight Pre-K- 2 readers, its targeted audience, and makes me yearn to visit my old first grade classroom to read it aloud. It would also serve as a fabulous mentor text for both younger and older writers. I can imagine shared writing sessions with younger classes and great explorations of word choice and the power of hyphens with older students. Congratulations, Buffy, and thanks so much for the opportunity to take a sneak peek. My only complaint is that I read the book on a snowy day in December, and it reminded me how far away spring really is!

This is a gorgeous book about the arrival of spring. Children will love the spare, playful, rhyming language and the stunning photographs. The nonfiction notes at the end are wonderful for answering questions and extending discussions about spring and the natural world.
With vibrant photographs, the author does a wonderful job of showcasing the world as it wakes up from a snowy season. Simple text and curious photographs will capture beginner readers quickly. A great addition to any easy nonfiction collection.
This is a great book to use during your seasons unit. It goes over some transitions that occur from Winter to Spring. It is a very basic book with bright photos with minimal words. But, I like that it goes into more detail about each page in the back of the book.