The Insurrection

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 30 Apr 2020

Great ending to the series. It took me a bit to get back into the swing of the story, because it picks up basically right where we left off last time. This installment is non stop action. Alot of story is packed into this final book. It will definitely keep you interested. My only complaint is Dray's insecurities. After a few instances of him waxing poetic on luck, I kinda wanted to smack him.
The Insurrection, the third book of The Initiation series, continues the saga of Drayden and his friends, a fight against the New America government, The Bureau. After Aeru, a deadly bacterium, became pandemic, a totalitarian regim erected twenty-five-foot-high, concrete walls and divided old Manhattan into four residential zones, from A to D; the D, also known as Dorms. In exchange for protection against Aeru, The Bureau asked from his citizens total obedience, if not, they will be expelled outside the walls, exposed to the killer bacterium.
Angry because his mother was deported without any reason, not being allowed outside his zone, and asking himself questions, the sixteen years old Drayden will try The Initiation, a life and dead test, which, if passed, will give him and his family access to a better life. An ad-hoc team of teenagers was formed, and The Initiation pushed Drayden in the leader position, due to his inteligence. I leave to your judgement if the kids were winners or liberatores, after reading the first book. Soon after The Initiation, in the high speed process from childhood/adolescence to maturity, Drayden and his team were sent by The Bureau in The Expedition (second book) in attempt to save New America from an iminent disaster and provide deep-cycle baterries from a far away land, called Boston. I wonder if this is not a contemporary comparison between Manhattan – the place of money and perdition, and Boston – the city of cultural elites? I’ll leave you to judge this by reading the second in the series, The Expedition.
After the first two volumes, you’ll know why the third was a must (to be written, read and shared). Drayden, Charlie, Sidney and Catrice take the way back home from Boston. Understanting the magnitude of their enemy, they are concerned about the safety of their families left in New America. Also, Drayden hopes to find his mother outside the walls. They are ready now to start the change and turn New America upsidedown by revolution. But they are four teenagers and an old man, Professor Worth, against an autocratic regime, which has a well-trained army. Luck was merely a matter of perspective. Will they succeed?
After reading The Insurrection I moved Chris Babu from YA shelf to the classics’. As he states in an interview, he wrote the series for his daughter Lily, to involve her in the beauty of mathematics and encourage her to read, and he did a great job. ”The sleep of reason produces monsters” (Goya) can’t be better described: Chris Babu sounds an alarm signal of how society can evolve if we do not pay attention. It is amazing how accurately Chris Babu describes a totalitarian regim (although he has not experienced one) as a result of the lack of democracy in a crisis situation. The author creats powerful images: a strong american symbol of freedom, The regal Statue of Liberty, was raising her torch like a cry for help; the broken spire of the World Trade Center; docking too damaged to be used; rusted shells of cars and buses; a laminted menu in a ex icecream shop, dangling from the ceiling – american way of life long time gone. This book doesn’t leave the reader in peace!
I would like to underline how the author plays his characters. From inocent teenagers to urban guerilla/partisans, Chris Babu describe and give life to all type of adolescents: bullies, shy, brave, intelligent, diabolic, bold; then he uses their full potential in a dinamic action which will involve the reader completely. The author brings into attention, in a fresh manner, old principls of life: the truth always wins, the societies are changed by youngs, the winner is not necessarely happier, but wiser.

A 5 stars series I loved to read!

The book will be published next year, the 18th of February; it is available for preorder.

You can find The Insurrection on Netgallery or, if you are a bookblogger who already read the 1st two in The Initiation series and would like an ARC, ask Chris Babu, he will kindly send you one! The author can be found at chrisbabu.com.
This book afforded a lot of closure that many of the previous books in this series were missing. I’ll start off by saying that the stakes were very high in this book, and the resolution was logical. The path to get to the ending was perhaps a bit tumultuous, but it worked. I’ve never really loved Drayden as a character, and that certainly didn’t help my overall opinion of the story. The drama between him, Sidney, and Catrice didn’t really work, either. In my opinion, the relationship tension present throughout most of the book seemed unnecessary and stupid. Charlie wetting himself was also not very enjoyable to read about. Moving on to what I did like, I thought that the fifth addition to their party was a good choice. That person helped make up for the brainpower Drayden seemed to lack. Not only did Drayden fail to recognize blatantly obvious traps until it was almost to late, he also failed to recognize a double agent. However, he was under a lot of pressure and understandably made a few mistakes. The story itself was very well-thought-out, and the word choice employed by the author was very powerful. Chris Babu’s eloquent use of language frequently lead to my looking words up in a dictionary. It was enjoyable to expand my vocabulary as a result of this novel. If you have read the first two books in this series, then I recommend reading this one as well. This grand finale won’t disappoint.